Start by marking “Deadly Deceptions (Mojo, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Deceptions (Mojo, #2)

Deadly Deceptions (Mojo #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,115 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Feisty Mojo Sheepshanks from 'Deadly Gamble' is now getting to grips with her ability to see ghosts. She soon finds herself in over her head as a blackmailer terrorizes her wealthy sister and hard truths about the family begin to surface.
Published March 1st 2008 by HQN Books (first published 2008)

Liisa
May 14, 2008 Liisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends everywhere who want a good laugh and great story!
Five and a half chapters into "Deadly Deceptions" by Linda Lael Miller and I am so in love with this book that:

(a) I'm dreading finishing it, and
(b) Hoping and praying there will be more in this series.

Linda ... if you're out there ... I am not beneath grovelling!

When I read and reviewed "Deadly Gamble" I said that although enjoyable, at times it felt like a Janet Evanovich knock-off.

No more! "Deadly Deceptions" is "Deadly Gamble" grown up. And it's great! Although you can get enough background
Carolynn
Ann Marie
Oct 04, 2009 Ann Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second in the Mojo Sheepshank series. Just as good as Deadly Gamble. In the Miller style, the characters pull you in the first minute you meet them. As Mojo meets her first ghost Gillian, the plot takes off. Miller is a master at sub plots and quick gotchas which kept me immersed. I loved getting to know her boyfriend cop Tucker better and watching how their relationship evolved. Great book!
Megan
Apr 04, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first book in the series (Deadly Gamble) and I loved this one even more. I am really hoping Linda Lael Miller adds more books to this series. Both books had me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't wait to find out how Mojo would solve the murders. I would definitely recommend this series.
Elisa Paige
Feb 29, 2012 Elisa Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friggin-loved-it
OH. MY. HOLY-FREAKING-GOODNESS!!!!!

While I enjoy Miller's cowboy books, why is she not writing more urban fantasies??? The Mojo series is right up there with Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs, Karen Chance, and Jeaniene Frost.
Jenn
Feb 23, 2014 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this series. Mojo and Tucker, truly hot. The continuation from the first book with the story of Greer's blackmailing and the murder of Gillian. So many things happening, between crimes and whodunits, no wonder Mojo is off her game when it comes to Max Summervale. Even I was off on that one. Well done! A third book is really needed. I know that Ms. Miller is busy writing about sexy cowboys, but truly, you cannot leave a book dangling like this. What is Jolie hiding? Why was she ...more
Teresa Snyder
Nov 08, 2015 Teresa Snyder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself was pretty good; much better than book one. But, like book one, the ending was horrible! It's possible, like the Look series, a third book was intended, but given its been 7 years, it doesn't appear that it's likely to happen. It's a shame, again, like the Look series, a third book would have, or could have, kicked it over the top. Wrapped up all of the lose ends, including Tucker and Mojo! All in all, if you're looking for happily-ever-after, wrapped up with a bow, all nice a ne ...more
Linda C
Mojo Sheepshanks, fledgling PI and recent inheritor of Bert's Biker Saloon, is attending the funeral of an acquaintance’s murdered 7 year old daughter, Gillian, when her ghost appears and indicates that her arrested step-father was not the murderer. She can't rest until the correct murderer is found. At the funeral also is Mojo's boyfriend and his ex-wife (their twins were friends of the deceased). The situation with the ex is volatile. Mojo also has issues with her deceased ex-husband's girlfri ...more
Natasja
Feb 08, 2014 Natasja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dit is het tweede deel in de Mojo reeks en het was weer heerlijk om tussen de geesten te zitten.
Dit is echt een boek voor een paar uurtjes ontspanning en wat spanning.
Ze eindigt haar boeken zo dat je graag het volgende deel wil gaan lezen maar helaas kan ik hier niks van terug vinden ook in het engels niet.
Het is niet zo dat ik verder niks te lezen heb maar als je eenmaal een goed boek hebt wil ik daar meer van ken je dat gevoel?
In ieders geval is dit boek voor mij weer een aan rader voor wie va
Jessi
First Line: "I was so innocent then."

This was another fun romp into the world of Mojo Sheepshanks. I was still a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of different problems popping up in Mojo's life. She tends to be investigating more than one murder at a time and so the solutions to problems seemed a bit rushed in the end. Still, I love Mojo as a character and the romance between her at Tucker is pretty steaming. I have a bit of an issue with the fact that he is divorced with children, but the
Gail
May 20, 2016 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is experiencing an identity crisis. Paranormal, detective, romance or plucky heroine in slapstick situations genre? Luckily the characters are just engaging enough to make this a fast, fun read. Also didn't help that I could identify the killer as soon as they made their first appearance.
Marianne
Mar 18, 2016 Marianne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Forgot I did not like the first in this series. Almost didn't finish it.
NOT for me, this paranormal stuff of seeing and talking to ghosts, and out of body experiences.
Not that I don't believe it can and maybe does happen, but I don't need to waste time reading about it.
IMO junk!
Danielle Gignac
I liked this book more than the first one in this series... But I still am not a huge fan. I just don't really like the majority of the characters. I love Tucker, and Mojo is ok... However, I can't stand the 2 sisters. I won't bother with any more books from this author.
Peggy Ferrell
Jan 31, 2015 Peggy Ferrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book but the ending screams of needing a sequel but there is none. I desperately want a sequel to this book. I am not ready to say goodbye to Mojo and Tucker.
Shanae S.
Apr 19, 2016 Shanae S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me intrigued until the end, it was passionate and very adventurous.I loved it until the end. Good book and i hope there is another one coming!!!!!!
Lori Feldpausch
Mar 02, 2016 Lori Feldpausch rated it it was amazing
I loved the twist in this story. Plus added in a ghost was great. The ending was really wicked and loved it! Waiting to see if she does another series in this book.
Jessica
Surprisingly good. A lot more serious than a lot of her other books. Technically, probably due to the fact that the primary publisher of her books seem to be Harlequin, this books is categorized as 'Romantic Suspense'. But really, it is fiction or mystery. The main story lines revolve around trying to find the truth regarding deaths, blackmailers, and missing persons. The romance is a side story to all the rest. Silly to have categorized it, it limits the audience. Harlequin needs to branch out ...more
Carol Malone
Oct 26, 2012 Carol Malone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Mojo Sheepshanks. It's her bumbling, moronic clumsiness that attracts me to her style of detective work. She merely defies convention and stumbles onto the facts that lead to the murderer. I happen to love Linda Lael Miller's books and Mojo's series is my favorite. You have to appreciate Mojo's quirky relationships with her two "sisters" and her bad boy cop boyfriends. I love the way she can plug into the dear departed and figure out how to help them move on while they help her solve crim ...more
Carol
Jul 04, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not realize that this book was part of a series when I picked it up. I've read other book by this author and remembered that I enjoyed them. This books was more memorable. Mojo can see dead people, which can be hepful to someone who is just starting a career as a Private Investigator.
This series seems a little like a Stephanie Plum of the desert with the wacky relationships and the accidental way she solves crimes. Lots of humor mixed in. I look forward to reading more about her, Dave, Ma
Molly Morris
Sep 23, 2014 Molly Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stick with it... It gets better as the stour moves along.
Cecelia
I really love this series of books. I can't wait for the third to come out after this one. Perhaps my favorite part about this and the first is that it focuses again on Mojo and Tucker, whereas most romance novels tend to do a couple a book. I really, really, enjoyed seeing their relationship develop again in this instalment. I also think that this kind of construction and charachter development makes the relationship itself seem more real world, despite the abundance of dead security gaurds and ...more
me
Jun 16, 2014 me rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waiting for more books.. Loved this a must read
Sherry Hazen
May 13, 2016 Sherry Hazen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new character to follow
Stiina Sild
Aug 16, 2015 Stiina Sild rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Four stars for the book (a little bit less than first one) and 1 star for Harry Potter reference (as usual).
Di
Jun 07, 2015 Di rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a boring arse book. I usually love a Linda Lael Miller story, but this one and the one preceding this, were an absolute snooze fest.
Amber
Feb 08, 2014 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this one just as much as the first one. Lots of lines running through but they all seem to weave together for a well thought out story. I like that for once, you have the man support the woman without all the drama. That is refreshing. I couldn't put the book down until I found out what happened.
Gail
Feb 09, 2010 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this 2nd book about Mojo Sheepshanks and her daily adventures, it is almost like watching/reading Ghost Whisperer. She sees dead people and animals who in some way help her solve a mystery she is working on. I laughed at times and shed a few tears which is the kind of book I really like. And who wouldn't love her boyfriend/cop - Tucker! Everyone should have someone like him in their lives!
Terry Spear
Dec 31, 2011 Terry Spear is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, I'm loving it--the quirkiness, mystery, ghost stuff. Great characterizations. Read half of it in a night, but had to go to work in the morning, so reluctantly closed it up. I'm looking forward to reading the rest. Didn't know that there was a first book, but some of the story seemed to reference that, so noticed this was book #2. I'll have to go back and find the first one.
Anna Schno
Mojo didn't surprise me. It was as crazy and full as the first book.
Too much going on, too many sideline stories, too much craziness.
I liked the over all book and Mojo's ans Tucker's relationship, but the mystery? I don't know. I always felt that there were some explanations and background info missing. It was superficial at times and too crazy and whirlwindy at others.
Katty
Even better than the first, I was hooked from the get-go. I hope that more are to come from mojo....Will sheepshanks, sheepshanks and sheepshanks becoming a business or will she continue to fumble through her mysterious life...the dead partner thing is going to be fun, Tucker is ready to be in love and what will become of Greer/Molly....all very interesting....can't wait.
  • The Rivals (Bitter Creek, #5)
  • Return of the Stardust Cowgirl  (Lucy Hatch, #4)
  • Enchanting the Beast (Relics of Merlin, #3)
  • My Immortal Protector (MacDonell Brides #4)
  • My Lady Beloved
  • Rogue Stallion (Montana Mavericks #1)
  • A Match Made in Hell (Nicki Styx, #2)
  • His Second-Chance Family (The Women of Brambleberry House, #2)
  • One Fine Cowboy
  • Blood Ties (The Searchers, #2)
  • Lord of Legends (Fane, #3)
  • Ghosts in the Wind
  • The Horsemaster's Daughter (Calhoun Chronicles #2)
  • Always Look Twice (Callahan Brothers, #3)
  • Wild & Hexy (Hex, #2)
  • Skin Tight (Skin, #2)
  • The Finer Things (Saint Georges, #2)
  • Sexiest Man Alive (Make Me a Match, #2)
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e ...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Mojo (2 books)
  • Deadly Gamble (Mojo, #1)

“You're the one with the badge," I admitted, "but I'm the one being haunted by a seven-year-old in a ballerina costume.” 1 likes