Start by marking “Coyote Frontier (Coyote Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Coyote Frontier (Coyote Trilogy, #3)

Coyote Frontier (Coyote Trilogy #3)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,251 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
The saga of Earth’s first space colonists continues as the Hugo Award-winning author of Coyote and Coyote Rising presents a riveting novel of their struggle to create a new civilization light-years away from the world—and the problems they thought they left behind…
Published November 28th 2006 by Ace (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote Frontier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote Frontier

Ben Babcock
Something's been nagging me ever since I began reading Allen Steele's Coyote series. I enjoyed both Coyote and Coyote Rising , for the most part, yet something was missing. Coyote Frontier brings that missing piece of the puzzle to the series, for we finally get to see Earth with our own eyes, and Steele reminds us why space travel isn't just for science fiction.

In Coyote Frontier, a starship belonging to the European Alliance, rivals of the collectivist Western Hemisphere Union who tried to
Alex Telander
Dec 19, 2011 Alex Telander rated it really liked it
Award-winning author Allen Steele brings his Coyote Trilogy to a close with Coyote Frontier. While this is not the end of the Coyote saga for Steele or his readers by any means, it nevertheless represents a closure to the in-depth development of the world of Coyote through its colonists, and the opening of a new chapter in this series.

As Coyote seems to be settling down somewhat with a stable form of government any would-be Social Collectivists from Earth having been sent packing, it seems like
Johnsergeant
Oct 26, 2009 Johnsergeant rated it liked it
Narrated by
Peter Ganim, Allen Steele, Therese Plummer

17 hrs and 1 mins

I would have rated this 4 stars, except I really didn't like the initial male narrator - not sure which one he was. He seemed too dry, emotionless and computer-like - maybe that was intentional, but it didn't appeal to me. Despite that, I really enjoyed the story.

Publisher's Summary
The revolution that won Coyote's independence from Earth is 20 years past. Coyote's aging computers, aircraft, and medical equipment are badly in n
Andreas
Nov 02, 2011 Andreas rated it liked it
Book three in the Coyote series, this novel takes us once more to the colony planet Coyote. But there’s a new twist. Earth has developed a technology for instantaneous travel between stars, meaning close contact with Earth is possible once more. Coyote seems like paradise to inhabitants of Earth wracked with overcrowding and catastrophic climate change. Will the budding Coyote Federation be able to withstand the onslaught? The original colonists have grown middle aged and responsible, but now th ...more
Steve Walker
Jul 23, 2011 Steve Walker rated it really liked it
This series just continues to get better. Allen Steele expands on the Coyote world and universe. Coyote's first generation of settlers are aging and a new generation has come of age. He continues to develop rich and entertaining characters and relationships and weaves them into multiple simultaneous plot lines. The story is anchored with the technology that they have brought from earth and the primitive environment they are taming and shaping into a new world and new society.

Earth has continued
Jeff
Aug 25, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Nice ending to the Coyote trilogy, although there are two ancillary books out there based in the universe I guess. Continues the story of Coyote, with a few new issues added. A wormhole-type travel method between Earth and Coyote is developed which allows for much faster travel between the two planets (actually planet and moon) which causes problems which mirror those of present-day earth like possible overpopulation, resource overuse, what to do with the native flora and fauna. Overall it was a ...more
Evelyn
May 28, 2011 Evelyn rated it really liked it
I am hopelessly lost in the Coyote universe created by this author. I have now read the original three books in the cycle, and a novelette set on this planet. I am currently reading a fourth book, and the beginning of a new cycle of novels about Coyote. I can't wait to get to my Kindle at every opportunity to get back into that world. I haven't been this entranced by a fictional since the Harry Potter series. I have been an avid science fiction fan most of my life, but have never read anything b ...more
Beverly
Nov 15, 2008 Beverly rated it it was amazing
More fuel for my Coyote fire.

I enjoyed this series because it made me think of what it would be like to be among the first on a new world. And while I may have written the books differently, I nonetheless respect the work Steele has done in creating a stage for our imagination.

If you've made it through the 3 Coyote novels, try Spindrift which is loosely connected to Coyote. And then, like me, you'll just have to wait until 2009 when Coyote Horizon comes out.
Jason Brasier
Dec 09, 2010 Jason Brasier rated it it was amazing
Allen Steele is one of the best science fiction writers of our time. I felt like I was with these characters on Coyote every step of the way and I felt what they felt, waked where they walked. Coyote Frontier is a wonderful wrap up of the Coyote Trilogy. This series is a must read for any sci-fi lover!
Broodingferret
Aug 14, 2009 Broodingferret rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book wrapped up the Coyote trilogy nicely. Though Steele relies here and there on a few typical sci-fi clichés, he stills manages to write engaging stories. I'll have to keep my eyes open for more of his stuff.
John (JP) Parsons
Aug 04, 2011 John (JP) Parsons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
352 pages Science fiction. Book continues the story of the colonists of the planet Coyote. I enjoyed the story and agreed with the message of limited develpment on a new planet. I did think the ending of the story and it's surprise was a bit forced. None less I want more stories from this world.
Larry Head
Sep 11, 2010 Larry Head rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Allen Steele has simply a captivating style of writing...his books suck you in and you can't put them down.
Hamish Buchan
Jan 03, 2012 Hamish Buchan rated it really liked it
More good short stories in a overall story universe.
Erick
Aug 05, 2008 Erick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The final (for now) book in a great sci-fi series about the first colony outside our solar system.
Pam
Mar 12, 2017 Pam rated it it was amazing
Francis Gahren
Apr 18, 2013 Francis Gahren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Two decades have passed since the Coyote Federation broke away from Earth rule to form a democracy, but the planet is in crisis as the dependency on earth technology has taken its toll. Leader Carlos Montero knows that gaining their independence was a lot easier than maintaining their freedom as he has learned that fighting for liberty was dangerous but simple while ruling is very complex. He is unsure which direction to take Coyote as the infrastructure is crumbling without spare parts or repla ...more
Chad Perrin
May 24, 2013 Chad Perrin rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Another good read in the Coyote series, this novel follows much the same pattern as the previous two, but more smoothly and with a bit more polish. The construction is not quite as choppy; in fact, the disjointedness of this novel was low key enough that I might not have noticed it if not for the brief foray into first person narrative by one of the characters to chronicle a trip back to Earth and the similarly (but more so) disjointed form of the two preceding novels.

The politics of this story
Mihai Giurgiulescu
Having already gone through the first two books in 2016, it became a personal challenge to complete the Coyote Trilogy before the end of the year - if anything to enjoy the narrative arc of the series before the characters and the details faded from memory. Coyote Frontier was the same easy read as author Allen Steele had accustomed his audience to, and I found myself effortlessly turning page after page following the compelling writing.

Unfortunately, similarly to Coyote Rising, this remains an
Rob
May 22, 2013 Rob rated it really liked it

The story immediately kicks off where I most hoped it would – with the indigenous species of the Coyote planet, and indeed the first third of the book is exciting and relevant to where I was most interested in seeing it go: the discovery of those with natural claims on the planet versus those of the new settlers.

Inevitably there is another contact with Earth and here is where the story dropped off for me; the part where Wendy and Carlos go back to Earth felt a little slow. And while it was inevi
Collin
Jun 06, 2011 Collin rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is generally an engaging continuation of the Coyote Saga. Apparently it completes the initial "trilogy", though there are two ancillary books about Coyote itself and three spinoffs in the same universe.

The writing is solidly Allen Steele's with similar vignettes of Coyote life tying in to the grander plot. Midway through the book, I kind of felt like the reading was getting stale, but the final third of the book made up for it. My only great criticism is that there aren't any red herrings,
John Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing
Coyote Frontier (2005) 382 Pages by Allen Steele.

Third installment in the Coyote series. Coyote is a moon of Bear which orbits 47 Ursae Majoris, and is about 46 LY from Earth.

Another ship comes to Coyote from Earth. This time from the European Alliance. In Coyote Rising the Western Hemisphere Union sent five colony ships to Coyote. There is new technology, star bridges, which allow instant travel between any two starbridges. The ship that came to Coyote brought the parts to build one.

There is a
J.
Jun 03, 2013 J. rated it liked it
Shelves: own
3.5 stars.

The fact that this series is well written is the only reason I've been able to listen. The author's politics and warped view of reality are difficult to stomach.

Prepare to choke to death on the gospel of global warming. There's a little gayness. People were outraged that the post humans wanted to kill off a portion of the population, but in the previous book we couldn't wait to abort some babies. Holy crap, liberals are stupid.

Just to confuse me the author apparently rejects his party'
John Boettcher
Oct 23, 2013 John Boettcher rated it really liked it
A great ending to the Coyote trilogy.

Although it isn't really the end, it keeps going on for another few books if anyone reading this is worried that they can't read more about Coyote. Relax, you can don't worry. Three more to go.

Love how the characters have fully developed and in some cases come full circle from what they were in the first book, and how their children are growing up and either taking after them or rebelling against them in their own ways.

Some new technologies are what causes
Ross
Aug 13, 2013 Ross rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this trilogy. Allen Steel is a smart writer and his style flows well. It explores the reality of the issues that would be dealt with in planet colonization, with characters you can be interested in. The stories - really a collection of short novels - really have alot of great ideas. My only complaint is I wished he had explored alot of these ideas in more depth, and also the breakup of the novels into the shorter sections could be a let down when each Part ended, and the reader ...more
Jeremy
Aug 26, 2012 Jeremy rated it liked it
I almost liked this the best of all the Coyote books so far, until the last two chapters (or the last chapter plus the epilogue). How lame is it to introduce some major new development in the last few pages of a trilogy? The reason I liked this book is because it did a much better job of portraying politics as a competing set of interest groups rather than actors who are good or evil than the last one. But I can't get over the ending. My rating lost an entire star over that.

Now I guess I'll have
Katie M.
Jul 23, 2012 Katie M. rated it liked it
Allen Steele's thoughtful series about colonizing the alien planet called Coyote gets more complications when new ships arrive from Earth with the possibility of much faster travel between the two worlds. The novel has plenty of interesting characters (perhaps a few too many...I think it might have been better served by fewer characters with more time allotted to each). It poses some important questions: how can people balance desperate need for resources against our devastating ecological impac ...more
Patrick
Aug 01, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Good ending of the Coyote saga. Allen Steele did a great job of infusing many of today's concerns in his telling of interstellar colonization. This book also serves as a sort of generational ending for the original settlers of Coyote, revealing their (our) hopes and fears of the future. In all, this was one of the more satisfying "trilogies" I've come across, and with all good science fiction of this sort, the science-fiction setting is a vehicle for a very good plot.

4 stars out of 5, although I
Elgin
Aug 14, 2011 Elgin rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Not much new in this third book of the Coyote trilogy...very much like the first book...still troubles with ships from Earth (but now instantaneous wormhole travel is introduced), more negotiations with Earth governing people/bodies, and another "revolution". Bit more of an ecological theme
here, with a grim picture of Earth's future and newcomers making the same environmental mistakes on coyote as on Earth. However I did like the end of book connection with the mysterious ship detected in the fi
Max
Nov 02, 2012 Max rated it it was amazing
I think this is as great book. I haven't read the first two, but it is so well written, that you have no questions. I think this book is probably the most interesting of the three books because of the creation of the star bridges. I disliked that the author spent a lot of time writing about life on coyote, because I was more interested in the creation of the star bridge. I think the politics listed in the story were nessisary to have coyote free. I like how Allen Steele writes the story from not ...more
Craig
Jul 14, 2007 Craig rated it it was amazing
The final volume of the Coyote trilogy wraps up all of the characters' storylines satisfactorily, but leaves room for further exploration of Steele's universe. It follows the same format as the first two books; two sections comprised of four individual stories each. It's a huge, sprawling epic story that makes you wonder how he created such depth and detail in so little time, and marvel that he was able to tie it all togther so convincingly.
  • Odyssey (The Academy, #5)
  • The Two (January David #2)
  • Titan (The Grand Tour, #15)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
  • The Rise of the Terran Empire (Technic Civilization 3)
  • Identity X
  • Mining the Sky: Untold Riches From The Asteroids, Comets, And Planets
  • Singularity's Ring
  • Aliens and Alien Societies
  • Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns, #5)
Before becoming a science fiction writer, Allen Steele was a journalist for newspapers and magazines in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Missouri, and his home state of Tennessee. But science fiction was his first love, so he eventually ditched journalism and began producing that which had made him decide to become a writer in the first place.

Since then, Steele has published eighteen novels and nearl
More about Allen Steele...

Coyote Trilogy (3 books)
  • Coyote (Coyote Trilogy, #1)
  • Coyote Rising (Coyote Trilogy, #2)