Start by marking “Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing” as Want to Read:
Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing

Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing

Inspired by his Cherokee grandmother's healing ceremonies, Lewis Mehl-Madrona enlightens readers to "alternative" paths to recovery and health. Coyote Medicine isn't about eschewing Western medicine when it's effective, but about finding other answers when medicine fails: for chronic sufferers, patients not responding to medication, or "terminal" cases that doctors have gi ...more
Published August 26th 1998 by Touchstone (first published February 18th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote Medicine

Cindy
Oct 27, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I have always been fascinated by anything dealing with Native American culture, especially spiritual beliefs and rituals. Written by a doctor with Native American heritage, this book presented an alternative to "traditional medicine" for the reader to consider. I found the stories of the sweat lodge experiences captivating and the struggles the author faced in presenting his theories to his peers somewhat disheartening. Interesting book.
Sue
Oct 30, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
I found this book to be thought-provoking, but I have a special interest in both medicine and Native American spirituality, so keep this in mind while you read this review. I think that if you do not share these interests, you might find this book either tedious or guilty of stretching the boundaries of common sense.

The author is both an M.D. (his degree is from Stanford University, so nothing shabby there) and a practicing shaman, carrying on the healing traditions of his Cherokee grandmother.
Aaron
Dec 03, 2008 Aaron rated it it was ok
Shelves: social-science
This book left something to be desired. I was expecting to find unique accounts of American Indian psychotherapy. Mehl-Madrona does describe some rituals he practices with clients (as I remember mostly if not entirely non-Indian), but this isn't really the focus. In fact, it's hard to find the focus. The book winds all over the map, shifting erratically between Indian stories, clinical case descriptions, "treatment proper," and philosophical tangents into quantum physics and the nature of the un ...more
Maria
Oct 10, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A man who knows first hand the dangers of modern medicine but also knows sometimes it is necessary. But he also has researched alternative ways to heal including using shamans, homeopaths, healers of faiths, etc. When needed both modern medicine and alternative can work together. Eye opener!
Shari
Nov 02, 2014 Shari rated it really liked it
Lewis is a gifted healer and writer. He is both humble and knowledgable. A quote from his book is "...all healing is an experimental process..." It is impossible to really read this book in an engaged fashion and remain unchanged by it.
Jeremy Nicholas
Ehh.. It was good. I read this at a time when I was really searching for something valid, concrete and lasting in my life and this book only offered more wonderment. However, it left me that much more educated on the subject of the Native and, in this case, the professional Native American
Initially NO
Mar 03, 2014 Initially NO rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crisis-healing
From the view of medical practitioner, this non-fiction story details the difficulties doctors have while interns and in practice. Shocking details of malpractice that were not only accepted by the heads of staff, but enforced is outlined in this memoir.
Included as well are Lewis’s own short-comings, which he chose to learn from, rather than disguise, his incorporation of shamanic healing and the hypnotic healing of story-telling.
Understanding the difficulties doctors face is important to und
Heather G
Aug 31, 2014 Heather G rated it liked it
An interesting look at Native healing practices vs. western medicine. Having one foot in each worldview, Mehl-Madrona is able to represent both perspectives. He suggests that these healing methods can - and should - offer complementary approaches. At the same time, Mehl-Madrona presents the stark challenge of introducing Native healing into the western medical system. Mehl-Madrona incorporates native story-telling as he relates his journey of apprenticeship under the tutelage of different Native ...more
Catherine Milos
Sep 10, 2015 Catherine Milos rated it it was amazing
Coyote Medicine is an amazing read integrating the medical world, spiritual world, holistic medicine, and a genuine and rich in-depth Native American perspective. Eloquently written, deeply moving, and inspiring. A must read for any holistic enthusiast.
Terre
Jan 24, 2015 Terre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coyote medicine is coyote truth.

Loved this book. Compelling, insightful and Dr Mehl-Madrona can write. Clear, conversational style. He paints a picture of us humans as possessing the ability to tap into this rich healing if we have the courage.
Alex Kunz
Feb 12, 2016 Alex Kunz rated it really liked it
Fascinating book that gives insight to a disappearing art of healers and connects them to the modern medical world.
Valerie
Apr 29, 2011 Valerie rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. You get to see the author's attempts to combine western and eastern medicine and how challenging it is to truly heal within the constraints of some institutions. Some of the stories about what happens between doctors while caring for their patients was shocking. I was fascinated by his stories about learning the Native American healing practices and how it affected his ability to care for his patients inside and outside of the establishment. It also touched me on a persona ...more
Sss Book
2 of 2
Tanuja
Apr 22, 2007 Tanuja rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Aspiring healers, people who struggle
"Before you can become a healer, you must make friends with chaos." This quote comes from this book, and it has been the quote that I turn to as I study Traditional Chinese Medicine, experiencing all manner of twists, turns, and bumps. Madrona writes about his journey honestly and openly, and he does not make himself out to be a saint or someone "blessed" with extraordinary powers - he heard his calling and he followed it - he encourages the reader to do the same, no matter what.
Adeline Myers
Dec 20, 2010 Adeline Myers rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The medical stories may be a little dated, takes place in the 70s and 80s. Although much still applies I'm sure. Medical horror stories. But the spiritual healing stories hold true over time. Made quite an impression on me. If you have a hard time accepting other's spirituality this may not be the book for you. For me it was powerful and reminded me there is always another way, another approach, and to never judge till you experience something yourself.
Jadehawk
Jan 17, 2013 Jadehawk rated it really liked it
This book was helpful to me as health care practitioner in a Native American clinic. I was struck by two things:1. The amount of time a native healer spends with a patient and their family before attempting the healing. It seems more like social work. 2. The concept that a person truly believing they are well will make them well. Fascinating.
JoAnna Oblander
May 30, 2012 JoAnna Oblander rated it really liked it
I found the stories related by Lewis Mehl-Madrona very interesting. I have had some negative experiences with allopathic medicine but after reading this book...I am more determined than ever to rely on chiropractic and other forms of natural healing!
Amy
Apr 17, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
I saw the author speak at a conference, and was blown away by his ideas about incorporating spirituality into modern medicine and mental health practice. This book is a reflection of those ideas.
Jaime
Aug 28, 2013 Jaime added it
"Who are you," "Where did you come from?" and "Why are you here?" He believed that anyone who could give clear answers to these questions would be well.
marie monroe
Feb 20, 2008 marie monroe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
inspiring. some of the shaman's struggle tangled up with the white man's medical mind. a great read for those who straddle 2 worlds.
Jeanna
Jun 05, 2015 Jeanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting book. Parts of it are a little hard to get through but all in all a good read.
Jul 17, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far one of the best books I have ever read.
Raymonde Georgia-Lee
Dec 02, 2009 Raymonde Georgia-Lee rated it it was amazing
Excellent. An inspiration for ALL healing.
Susan
Jan 02, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
I was intrigued with his view of Western Medicine and how little time is taken in getting to know the patient before meds are dispensed. I met this author in Sante Fe in 2002 at a Creativity in Madness seminar. He was very interesting and I enjoyed his presentation. He talked a lot about the sweat lodges. I liked hearing about the way he worked with patients and how he brought Western Medicine and Native American healing together.
Todd
This guy is good.
Nico K.
Nico K. marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Dave McCrae
Dave McCrae rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Becky Haines
Becky Haines rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Sharon Crowe
Sharon Crowe rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Andrea Share
Andrea Share marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
  • Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
  • Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • The Wind Is My Mother
  • Earth Quest - Earth Medicine: Revealing Hidden Treasures of the Native American Medicine Wheel - a Shamanic Way to Self-discovery
  • The Way of Herbs
  • The Practical Encyclopedia of Natural Healing
  • Native American Ethnobotany
  • Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail
  • Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West
  • Herbs (DK Handbooks)
  • The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing
  • The Wisdom of the Native Americans: Including The Soul of an Indian and Other Writings of Ohiyesa and the Great Speeches of Red Jacket, Chief Joseph, and Chief Seattle
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • All Women Are Healers: A Comprehensive Guide to Natural Healing
  • The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk's Account of the Seven Rites of the Oglala Sioux
  • The Rodale Book of Composting: Easy Methods for Every Gardener
  • Sex, Mom, and God: How the Bible’s Strange Take on Sex Led to Crazy Politics--and How I Learned to Love Women (and Jesus) Anyway
  • The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing: Guarding the Three Treasures