Start by marking “Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing” as Want to Read:
Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing

Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Inspired by his Cherokee grandmother's healing ceremonies, Lewis Mehl-Madrona enlightens readers to "alternative" paths to recovery and health. Coyote Medicine isn't about eschewing Western medicine when it's effective, but about finding other answers when medicine fails: for chronic sufferers, patients not responding to medication, or "terminal" cases that doctors have gi ...more
Published August 26th 1998 by Touchstone (first published February 18th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote Medicine

Cindy
I have always been fascinated by anything dealing with Native American culture, especially spiritual beliefs and rituals. Written by a doctor with Native American heritage, this book presented an alternative to "traditional medicine" for the reader to consider. I found the stories of the sweat lodge experiences captivating and the struggles the author faced in presenting his theories to his peers somewhat disheartening. Interesting book.
Sue
I found this book to be thought-provoking, but I have a special interest in both medicine and Native American spirituality, so keep this in mind while you read this review. I think that if you do not share these interests, you might find this book either tedious or guilty of stretching the boundaries of common sense.

The author is both an M.D. (his degree is from Stanford University, so nothing shabby there) and a practicing shaman, carrying on the healing traditions of his Cherokee grandmother.
Aaron
This book left something to be desired. I was expecting to find unique accounts of American Indian psychotherapy. Mehl-Madrona does describe some rituals he practices with clients (as I remember mostly if not entirely non-Indian), but this isn't really the focus. In fact, it's hard to find the focus. The book winds all over the map, shifting erratically between Indian stories, clinical case descriptions, "treatment proper," and philosophical tangents into quantum physics and the nature of the un ...more
Maria
A man who knows first hand the dangers of modern medicine but also knows sometimes it is necessary. But he also has researched alternative ways to heal including using shamans, homeopaths, healers of faiths, etc. When needed both modern medicine and alternative can work together. Eye opener!
Shari
Lewis is a gifted healer and writer. He is both humble and knowledgable. A quote from his book is "...all healing is an experimental process..." It is impossible to really read this book in an engaged fashion and remain unchanged by it.
Initially NO
From the view of medical practitioner, this non-fiction story details the difficulties doctors have while interns and in practice. Shocking details of malpractice that were not only accepted by the heads of staff, but enforced is outlined in this memoir.
Included as well are Lewis’s own short-comings, which he chose to learn from, rather than disguise, his incorporation of shamanic healing and the hypnotic healing of story-telling.
Understanding the difficulties doctors face is important to und
Heather G
An interesting look at Native healing practices vs. western medicine. Having one foot in each worldview, Mehl-Madrona is able to represent both perspectives. He suggests that these healing methods can - and should - offer complementary approaches. At the same time, Mehl-Madrona presents the stark challenge of introducing Native healing into the western medical system. Mehl-Madrona incorporates native story-telling as he relates his journey of apprenticeship under the tutelage of different Native ...more
Terre
Coyote medicine is coyote truth.

Loved this book. Compelling, insightful and Dr Mehl-Madrona can write. Clear, conversational style. He paints a picture of us humans as possessing the ability to tap into this rich healing if we have the courage.
Valerie
This book was amazing. You get to see the author's attempts to combine western and eastern medicine and how challenging it is to truly heal within the constraints of some institutions. Some of the stories about what happens between doctors while caring for their patients was shocking. I was fascinated by his stories about learning the Native American healing practices and how it affected his ability to care for his patients inside and outside of the establishment. It also touched me on a persona ...more
Sss Book
2 of 2
Tanuja
Apr 22, 2007 Tanuja rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Aspiring healers, people who struggle
"Before you can become a healer, you must make friends with chaos." This quote comes from this book, and it has been the quote that I turn to as I study Traditional Chinese Medicine, experiencing all manner of twists, turns, and bumps. Madrona writes about his journey honestly and openly, and he does not make himself out to be a saint or someone "blessed" with extraordinary powers - he heard his calling and he followed it - he encourages the reader to do the same, no matter what.
Adeline Myers
I love this book. The medical stories may be a little dated, takes place in the 70s and 80s. Although much still applies I'm sure. Medical horror stories. But the spiritual healing stories hold true over time. Made quite an impression on me. If you have a hard time accepting other's spirituality this may not be the book for you. For me it was powerful and reminded me there is always another way, another approach, and to never judge till you experience something yourself.
Jadehawk
This book was helpful to me as health care practitioner in a Native American clinic. I was struck by two things:1. The amount of time a native healer spends with a patient and their family before attempting the healing. It seems more like social work. 2. The concept that a person truly believing they are well will make them well. Fascinating.
JoAnna Oblander
I found the stories related by Lewis Mehl-Madrona very interesting. I have had some negative experiences with allopathic medicine but after reading this book...I am more determined than ever to rely on chiropractic and other forms of natural healing!
Amy
I saw the author speak at a conference, and was blown away by his ideas about incorporating spirituality into modern medicine and mental health practice. This book is a reflection of those ideas.
Jaime
Aug 28, 2013 Jaime added it
"Who are you," "Where did you come from?" and "Why are you here?" He believed that anyone who could give clear answers to these questions would be well.
marie monroe
inspiring. some of the shaman's struggle tangled up with the white man's medical mind. a great read for those who straddle 2 worlds.
This is by far one of the best books I have ever read.
Raymonde Georgia-Lee
Excellent. An inspiration for ALL healing.
Susan
I was intrigued with his view of Western Medicine and how little time is taken in getting to know the patient before meds are dispensed. I met this author in Sante Fe in 2002 at a Creativity in Madness seminar. He was very interesting and I enjoyed his presentation. He talked a lot about the sweat lodges. I liked hearing about the way he worked with patients and how he brought Western Medicine and Native American healing together.
April
April marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Angie
Angie added it
May 11, 2015
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Apryl
Apryl marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Lainie Love
Lainie Love is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2015
Alicia
Alicia added it
Mar 27, 2015
  • Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
  • The Wind Is My Mother
  • Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • Earth Quest - Earth Medicine: Revealing Hidden Treasures of the Native American Medicine Wheel - a Shamanic Way to Self-discovery
  • The Wisdom of the Native Americans: Including The Soul of an Indian and Other Writings of Ohiyesa and the Great Speeches of Red Jacket, Chief Joseph, and Chief Seattle
  • The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing
  • Sex, Mom, and God: How the Bible’s Strange Take on Sex Led to Crazy Politics--and How I Learned to Love Women (and Jesus) Anyway
  • The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk's Account of the Seven Rites of the Oglala Sioux
  • Ten Poems to Change Your Life
  • The Weather of the Pacific Northwest
  • Raids On The Unspeakable
  • Witchcraft Medicine: Healing Arts, Shamanic Practices, and Forbidden Plants
  • Book of the Hopi: The first revelation of the Hopi's historical and religious world-view of life
  • Touch the Earth
  • Believe in Yourself
  • Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West
  • The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and Self
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
Coyote Wisdom: Healing Power in Native American Stories Coyote Healing: Miracles in Native Medicine Narrative Medicine: The Use of History and Story in the Healing Process Healing the Mind through the Power of Story: The Promise of Narrative Psychiatry The Spirit of Healing: Stories, Wisdom, and Practices from Native America