Start by marking “Phantasmagoria: Spirit Visions, Metaphors, and Media Into the Twenty-First Century” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  100 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
With over thirty illustrations in color and black and white, Phantasmagoria takes readers on an intellectually exhilarating tour of ideas of spirit and soul in the modern world, illuminating key questions of imagination and cognition. Warner tells the unexpected and often disturbing story about shifts in thought about consciousness and the individual person, from the first ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Phantasmagoria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phantasmagoria

Matt Simon
Sep 21, 2010 Matt Simon rated it it was amazing
If you think your life is too crazy, read this book. You probably don't have ectoplasm coming out of your ears right now, which is good.
Chris
I didn't like this as much as I enjoy Warner's other work. This book is more of a meditation on why humans obessess about the things we do in terms of life, the afterlife, and the end of all things. It does give you much to think about, and as always, Warner points out some interesting facts ( I loved the tie to spiritualism and the use of women). It is rather dense though. It doesn't quite flow.
Leif
Jan 26, 2014 Leif rated it it was amazing
Marina Warner doesn't hit you over the head with a thesaurus, a dictionary or an encyclopedia. She feeds you an erudite tome that combines all three through thrilling chapters, each bite sized and delicious in its own right; when you're done you look back at the mountain of scholarship you've just consumed and have to admire the vivacity and grace with which it was presented and prepared.

Given her other work, there should be no surprise that Warner takes a subject and crafts of it a marvellously
Rebeca F. San Román
Mar 28, 2016 Rebeca F. San Román rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book is a mindblower. I've always been a fan of Warner, yet I only discovered this jewel a couple of months ago and had a lot of trouble getting my hands on a copy. I was ecstatic, because I love her work and this is a subject I'm specially interested in. At the same time, I really admire her guts to take on this project, since it's so overwhelming and such an extensive area of research which she handled wonderfully leading the reader on a fantastic journey through time, space and diff ...more
Kari
Mar 21, 2013 Kari rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed with this book. It was quite dense but I couldn’t get over the impression that it read like a dissertation. I hated the extended introduction which described what each chapter was going to discuss. I don’t need a heads up or summary, I’ll find out soon enough by actually reading it! It’s the kind of thing a student would do to bump up the word count with repetitive information! There wasn’t a flow to the book and the chapters read like individual essays pieced together ...more
Steve Wiggins
Jan 26, 2015 Steve Wiggins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those rare books that defies categorization, Phantasmagoria is indeed a phantasmagoria. Broadly based, the book addresses the question of what it means to have a soul, or ensoulment, including the concept of embodiment. Not easily grasped, not easily forgotten. See more about it on my blog: Sects and Violence in the Ancient World.
Elizabeth Judd taylor
A very engaging book about how cultures have perceived the soul, or spirit, throughout history. Mythology, theology, spiritualism, science, even popular entertainment: how do these influence our beliefs about what the soul is? And how do these beliefs change as things such as photography and moving pictures change the way we perceive ourselves and our bodies? This book covers a lot of ground but is always interesting and thought-provoking.
Suzanne
This book treats of spirits and the search for contact with another world not in a philosophical way but through exploring the earnest attempts through history to be in touch with a reality beyond the everyday. Marina Warner leads us expertly through wax effigies and the fata morgana, ether and ectoplasm to modern cinema and illustrates how spirits remain a concern. While one may disagree that the presence of 'soul' is now marked by its absence, the mass of information gathered to illustrate the ...more
Rodrigo Paris
Jun 05, 2014 Rodrigo Paris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am still reading it, but so far, I find it fascinating, like everything written by Marina Warner, like her previous Alone Of All Her Sex: The Myth and the Cult of the Virgin Mary (1976, A.A.Knopf, NY).
Squeaky Skull
Apr 24, 2008 Squeaky Skull rated it really liked it
Shelves:
While I really enjoyed this book, I had to turn it back in to the library before I finished it...even with an extension. It is very dense reading, and not well-suited to my subway/lunch schedule for non-school reading. Maybe this summer I'll have time to pick it back up.
Ed Skoog
Catalogues, classifies and interprets phenomena that people have considered manifestations of "the spirit," tying together wax museums, mirrors, clouds, steam, shadows, etc--a poetics of spookiness.
Maureen
Oct 06, 2009 Maureen is currently reading it
Shelves: monograph
since i keep denouncing the enlightenment and the renaissance and their impact on community, and their impact on the human ego, i thought it might be a good time to start reading this.
Michael
Nov 06, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
reading this slowly. Sometimes the organization of the language leaves something to be desired, but the ideas are delicious and are fed to you at a mile a minute.
Autumn
This book is brilliant, but VERY DENSE. I need to come back to it when I can concentrate.
Jenn
Jenn added it
Jul 11, 2016
Aiun
Aiun marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Ameerah
Ameerah marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Ali Lauren
Ali Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Sarah Dunstan
Sarah Dunstan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Holi Bats
Holi Bats marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Nez Lukic
Nez Lukic marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Emma Calder
Emma Calder rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Meghan O'Sullivan
Meghan O'Sullivan marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Ciarán
Ciarán marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Kody
Kody marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Traci Evans
Traci Evans marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
  • Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues: True Stories of the Unsavory, Unwise, Unorthodox and Unusual from the magazine "Morbid Curiosity"
  • Supervillains and Philosophy: Sometimes, Evil is its Own Reward
  • Breaking the Magic Spell: Radical Theories of Folk and Fairy Tales
  • Off with their heads!: fairy tales and the culture of childhood
  • Classics Mutilated
  • The Darkened Room: Women, Power, and Spiritualism in Late Victorian England
  • The Monstrous-Feminine: Film, Feminism, Psychoanalysis
  • The Devil: Perceptions of Evil from Antiquity to Primitive Christianity
  • How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Talking to the Dead: Kate and Maggie Fox and the Rise of Spiritualism
  • From Reverence to Rape: The Treatment of Women in the Movies
  • Savage Girls and Wild Boys: A History of Feral Children
  • Visual And Other Pleasures
  • Steampunk'd
  • Strange Creations: Aberrant Ideas of Human Origin from Ancient Astronauts to Aquatic Apes
  • Rhetorics of Fantasy
  • Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend
Marina Sarah Warner is a British novelist, short story writer, historian and mythographer. She is known for her many non-fiction books relating to feminism and myth.

She is a professor in the Department of Literature, Film and Theatre at the University of Essex, and gave the Reith Lectures on the BBC in 1994 on the theme of 'Managing Monsters: Six Myths of Our Time.'

More about Marina Warner...