Start by marking “Deceit” as Want to Read:
Deceit

Deceit

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  16 reviews
With a combination of emotional power, evocative prose, and provocative plot, Clare Francis presents the story of a woman coping with unsettling questions and secrets from the past after her husband disappears at sea-a thriller that will draw readers in and keep them turning page after tantalizing page.
Published March 4th 2003 by Berkley Trade (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Deceit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deceit

Bev Taylor
harry richmond has lost it all - his job as an mp, business problems, money matters and even family

he goes off in his yacht and disappears. is he head? if so was it natural causes, suicide or even murder?

ellen, his wife is left to pick up the pieces with their 2 children but what secrets does the past hold?

i realised quite early on how this was going to pan out but there were still a few twists.

h/e a gaping hole (excuse the pun)- the knife would would have been found in the autopsy

bev
Kathleen Hagen
Deceit, by Clare Francis, B-plus, narrated by Frances Tomelty, produced by BBC-WW audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This is a book that started slowly. It was hard for me to get into it, or to accept Ellen’s constant backing down to her husband’s ruthless and selfish relatives. She seemed too meek and mild to live. The other unfortunate factor about this book was the narrator, Frances Tomelty. She would whisper large sections of Ellen’s thoughts in a dramatic voice which could barely be heard.
RickyB
James Marinero
Slow to get into - I have difficulty with some authors who take so long to describe a scene. But...it was very well written and the plot had some good turns. The technique and POV was very interesting, telling a historical story in the present tense (most of the time). Good suspense, and not many holes - I'm a sailor - not up to her illustrious standard, but it was a good tale told with deep knowledge of the subject. By 2/3 way through it was grabbing me. I learned a lot about technique. Nearer ...more
Tony
I am over halfway through and still waiting for it to get exciting. Yes, I am intrigued at how the various characters will knit together but why does she take so long to write a conversation? Why the need to describe every expression and thought of the speaker?
The back cover says this is Francis' best novel yet - well I won't be reading the others.
Forced my way through to the unsurprising end. The overall story was fairly good just painful to read Francis' writing style.
Elizabeth Bailey
This was a brilliant page-turning read. I couldn't put it down and I was impressed with the background knowledge until I took in that Francis was the same one who had done solo yachting! Still impressive. More so was the twists and turns that had me wondering all the way through how things were going to turn out. A very clever and fascinating story, well written, full of atmospheric emotive stuff.
Keith Bennett
I really liked this in the end. For much of the first half, I didn't find myself feeling particularly sympathetic towards the narrator, and the plot seemed to be running along generally predictable lines. But it gradually became clearer that there was something else going on, and I warmed to both narrator and the plot. Gripping by the end.
Debra
I just finished this wonderful book and I loved it. It is a mystery but the reader doesn't know who are the bad guys and who are the good guys for the entire book. Oh my gosh! All kinds of false clues and half truths and hidden meanings and misunderstood lines from all the characters. What a fun ride!
Ruth
c1993. I agree with the blurb from the Daily Mail "'Ms Francis's talent for characterization works especially well with Ellen's traumatized children, and the plot has as many twists as a nautical knot."
The author's yachting background is well used in this book.
Katherine
It wasn't bad, I felt like I already knew what was going to happen and even though there was a slight twist at the end I still felt like I was disappointed from about halfway through as I thought I had figured out what had happened.
Clare
I enjoyed this as much as other Clare Francis novels, but having read 3 or 4 on tthe trot I've got a bit sick of rich folks on boats. Still, if you don't want to have to use much of your brain it's a damn good read.
Ben
She has a lovely way of letting the story gradually develop and unfold. The story just seems to naturally evolve and that makes it feel very real. I really enjoyed and wonder if her other books are also this good.
Katie Kenig
This is one of the best examples of the unreliable narrator in modern fiction that I've found. Truly a fantastically twisted bit of fiction that is worth a read.
Mike Pouy
Very different from Clare Francis' spy thrillers, this is a personal story of a woman struggling to cope after her husband and his sailboat disappear.
Ruth Jalfon
light mystery. not normally my thing but readable with the odd surprise but nothing wow. book way longer than it needed to be. between 2-3 stars.
Ashlea Stark
Thoroughly enjoyable
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Dawn
Dawn is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Sep 24, 2014
Ladyhawk
Ladyhawk marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
  • Angels Passing (DI Joe Faraday, #3)
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • A Cotswold Mystery (Thea Osborne, #4)
  • True Crime
  • Final Argument
  • Pay Off
  • The Kind One
  • Slowly, Slowly in the Wind
  • Perfectly Pure and Good (Sarah Fortune, #2)
  • The Reunion
  • Living Proof (Charles Resnick, #7)
  • Twice Buried