Start by marking “Against the Odds” as Want to Read:

Read eBook* *Different edition

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
There was a quiet tenseness in the air, but as the nameless cowboy continued to work, I soon found that my fascination was divided between him and the birth of the foal. I couldn't help noticing the way the muscles of his tanned back rippled and the way his large biceps flexed as he coaxed the new babe out. Never in my life had I ever seen a more sculpted man, not even amo ...more
Published by iUniverse, Inc. (first published March 9th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Odds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Odds

Arch
Apr 14, 2010 Arch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking To Read A Clean Romance Book
Recommended to Arch by: Rae Lori
This is the first book that I have read by Jewel Adams and I've really enjoyed it. I really don't care for books that are in first person, but I liked Mrs. Adams' voice in this book. This is a sweet romance book.

The book is about a woman named Raine, who's a sucessful model and who has gotten divorced from a selfish man. A man that didn't love her one bit. He wants to go play in the chicken pen and thinks he still deserves to have royalty as well.

I'm glad that Raine realized that she deserved b
CaliGirlRae
Aug 18, 2014 CaliGirlRae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sweet Contemporary Romance Fans, Women's Fiction fans
Against the Odds is good ole fashioned romance wrapped in your favorite blanket. I really enjoyed the author's voice in this story and the way she presented the story, although not traditionally romance, was a nice welcome addition to the genre.

As we open, our heroine Raine is getting a divorce from her cheating husband Jerome. She moves to New Mexico, leaving the comforts of her home and her high paying modeling job, to start anew on her friend Caroline and David's farm. As she settles in, she
Mary Walling
Feb 23, 2011 Mary Walling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Against the Odds"
by Jewel Adams

"My own decision to marry hadn't been motivated by real love, a fact that I will always regret. And now I was facing the consequences of that choice. I suddenly wondered if I would ever know real love. Did I even know what real love was? Would I know it when it came? If it came?"

Raine Allen is a beautiful woman recently divorced from Jerome Edmunds. She married for all the wrong reasons. The choices she made were her own. A modeling career, money, prestigue, a han
Rachel
Sep 15, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Raine Edmunds, aching from a difficult divorce at the end of a painful marriage to a womanizer, moves to Roswell, New Mexico to get away. She desires to start over with a clean slate and a life different from the one she left behind. Then she meets Hayden, a rugged cowboy. He is good looking, sweet, kind, and faithful, everything her ex was not. Will two people from drastically different worlds be able to find healing love in each other's arms?

Jewel Adams' novella has all the makings of a romanc
Marie Higgins
Apr 09, 2011 Marie Higgins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Against The Odds" is a tender, romantic, and endearing story of a woman, Raine, who has been hurt from a previous relationship. Through her journey to recover, she meets Hayden - one very kind-hearted cowboy. (Gotta love cowboys, darlin') She becomes friends with Hayden since she's not ready for a new relationship, but over time they grow to love each other - with a few bumps along the way.

This story is about love and committment, about trusting and believing. Jewel Adams has written a very swe
Kaylee
Aug 21, 2009 Kaylee rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Against the Odds is a fun, lighthearted read. It begins after Raine's divorce is final and she moves to "white man's land" to live with some friends of hers on their ranch. There, she meets extremely manly and handsome Hayden and they hit it off right away.

I thought the dialogue was very well written and Hayden was especially witty. Raine's spunk was refreshing. It was nice to read a female character in a romance who wasn't hopeless, who could stand up for herself, and didn't run away at the fi
Lynelle Clark
Jan 28, 2016 Lynelle Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although an interracial romance novel the focus in this book is not on the intrigues normally associated with such a relationship. The author 19s focus was rather on choices we all have to make in life making sure that our future is peaceful and happy.
We meet the two lovers Raine and Hayden Mckade. Their life so far apart and different from each other that you could not phantom how the two would ever come together.
Jo-Anne
Raine Edmunds recently divorced her husband Jerome who repeatedly cheated on her. She realized that she hadn’t married him because she was madly in love with him but for the life she thought she wanted and could have with him, such as a life in the city with prestige, a modeling career and a handsome, successful husband. Now she knows that is not what she wants so she moves to her friends’, Caroline and David McKade, ranch in New Mexico to start over and find the life she really wants. Raine set ...more
Tifferz
Apr 23, 2010 Tifferz rated it really liked it
This book was a great clean romance.
Jewel did a great job developing the characters
and the story had a good pace to it.
I enjoyed this story from start to finish.
I look forward to reading more from Jewel Adams.
Danielle
Jan 23, 2015 Danielle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends
Recommended to Danielle by: Free ebook on Amazon
Shelves: jewel-adams
Raine Edmunds, fashion model, divorces her husband Jerome who repeatedly cheated on her. Leaving her prestige career in Atlanta she goes to New Mexico to stay with her friend, Caroline and her husband David McKade on their ranch. She then becomes friends with Hayden McKade and the attraction between these to grow. She loves this easygoing life and looking forward to her future with Hayden. Raine was determined to handle her new life making her own decisions even when an offer comes her way but s ...more
Penny
Apr 29, 2015 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty good

I don't know why the author put so much emphasis on the fact that the girl was black and the guy wasn't she pretty much had an attitude about it or something. There's racially mixed couples every day now it's not uncommon and it's not like it's frowned upon or anything so I don't know why she would make it so in the book.

I think it could've been a really good book the author put too much focus on the fact that the girl was not the same race as the person she was marrying. T
Levina  C.
Aug 22, 2011 Levina C. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, novels
Raine Edmunds escapes to New Mexico after divorcing her cheater of an ex-husband. There, on a peaceful ranch with friends, she finds love again. When opportunity calls her back to her big-city life as a model, her decision not to go back challenges her to merge the two worlds of herself and her man. They succeed, but the odds don't end there.

And that's the scope of it. Not bad. The plot is simple, but it fits the short length and the love story is sweet and endearing.

I have only read two of her
wjbooks
Nov 04, 2013 wjbooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a sweet romance! Jewel has definitely captured me while I was reading. It was different, only because it was set in the first person form. However, that did not change that I could not put down this book!
I loved the fact how she played out the racism, and how it all worked out in the end. That is truly how it should be right? We should all be able to get along and find love regardless of color, or anything else. We should value one another, she did show that. You could wrap yourself u
Leah
May 09, 2013 Leah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not into romance novels like this so maybe I'm not being fair, but I am reviewing compared to what I like to read. That's all I can do.

The whole thing is so cliched it's not even funny. We have the tall, "dark", and handsome bachelor (he's actually white, while she's the dark one). The two instantly fall in love. It's all perfect. Even the bad stuff that happens is perfect. Everything happens so quickly. It's a rush to get it all in one story. It's not believable.

Raine is a model from Atlant
Apr 14, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I was initially turned off by the dialogue between Raine and Jerome but I went back to the book later and made myself continue reading, and I really did enjoy the story. I agree with a few comments made by other reviewers, namely that the obstacles Raine and Hayden faced were trying but not really "against the odds" and that at times the extent to which they each found the other to be fantastic was a bit too much. There are a few grammatical errors, wrong words and missing words but the story is ...more
LAWonder10
Jun 27, 2013 LAWonder10 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raine had reached the limits of her tolerance.
She was a successful model who made a lot of
money but she wasn't happy. Things had not been good
with her husband Jerome for awhile. Then he admitted
to cheating on her and that was the last straw.
She felt she had to get away.
her bet friend had married a man who owned a ranch.
Raine could not believe how happy Caroline was with
her new life and husband, David.
Raine called and Caroline insisted she come and stay with
them on the ranch as long as she w
Lynelle Clark
Although an interracial romance novel the focus in this book is not on the intrigues normally associated with such a relationship. The author’s focus was rather on choices we all have to make in life making sure that our future is peaceful and happy.
Raine, married to Jerome finally booted him for all his infidelities in the years t
Rachel
Sep 15, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Jewel Adams' novella has all the makings of a romanc
Joy
Jun 30, 2013 Joy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Against the Odds is a contemporary interracial romance, 178 pages and it’s a clean, sweet romance that starts in the city but ends on a ranch in Roswell, New Mexico.

The author didn’t rush the romance, it developed at a slow believable pace for both Hayden and Raine particularly Raine fresh from a divorce from her philandering hubby Jerome. Raine won’t be rushed into another relationship, not this time, she’s going to enjoy her holiday and a break from her modelling career, still there’s no mist
Darla
Oct 19, 2013 Darla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh I really enjoyed this book! I loved me some Hayden and Raine, I loved how their relationship started, that slow build of attraction and love. They were friends who laughed easily together and enjoyed one another's company whether they held a conversation or not; and before either of them knew it, or were willing to admit it, they were in love. It seems like their relationship moved quick from there, but it all fit in with the tone of the story. It moved at a fast clip, but I'm not really comp ...more
--karen Green-berry
Hayden and Raine- BRAB Online Book Club

I have loved everyone of this author's books. She is a great storyteller whose characters tug at your heartstrings and make you fall in love with them.

Hayden and Raine met after she found out her husband, Jerome had cheated yet again. Determined to divorce him and restart her life, she met Hayden. Their romance and chemistry makes this a very interesting read
Desiree reilly
Apr 28, 2013 Desiree reilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the book is great read here you got the black and beautiful model want a divorce form her husband why you ask she is getting fed up with his shit. He been caught and then 3 timing SOB and then you now what i mean.

Well she took her self to the friends f her in New Mexico her friend
and she in joying the place there they take her to the Alien museum
in Roswell New Mexico she has never had fun like this.

She was offered a 7 figured job for modeling and she turn it down why she did not want to go back
Tony
Jan 17, 2015 Tony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book book more then I did because it had the elements of a good story. The problem is that it read more like someone telling you a story about people you sort of know instead of you being in the story with the characters while everything unfolds.
Natalie
Feb 04, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quiet winter days call for a good book. Short is usually better because life is never quiet for too long. This is the first book I've read from this author. It was short and sweet with just the right amount of chemistry. I enjoyed the characters and the relatively uncomplicated relationship. I really need a happily ever after ending and sometimes I need it to come quickly. The temperature outside my house is a balmy 18 degrees F, so the descriptions of desert summer were nice (of course I could ...more
deb
Jan 20, 2015 deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Against the Odds

I love this story, because it was sweet and I enjoyed how the author allowed the characters to become friends first. It is a quick and easy read.
Donna Curtis
Apr 13, 2014 Donna Curtis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betrayal and trust

Great story about betrayal and finding true love when u least expect it. keeping the faith that all will be just fine.e
Andrea
Jan 30, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Against the Odds is a sweet romance. I really enjoyed that the relationship between Raine and Hayden came at a realistic pace, and that they were completely dedicated to each other.

The writing has such a unique feel. Almost like journal entries, but not quite. I felt like I really got to know Raine well, and I was very happy for her being brave enough to leave her familiar life behind to start fresh.

There's a mild swearword or two, and Raine and Hayden are very passionate, but nothing explicit.
Christina OW
May 04, 2013 Christina OW rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed this book. Not many that have a title with 'love story' in it live up to expectations but this one did. Some of this rating were 2 and 1 and i bet those were the guys looking for action, gasping conflicts, vilains we all love to hate and such. But this book didn't have that. What this book had was real. Things we experience everyday- insecurity. The vilains were the main characters themselves and it was nice to see them battling and defeating it as the story went on.

This was a romantic
Hot Reading Mom
Sweet romance; very sweet. Beautiful model moves to the west and falls for a cowboy.
The Talent Cave Reviews
Novel
Reviewed by: Maven

2 Flames – Hissing Warm
3.5 Stars – Good

Against the Odds is a sweet interracial romance about a former model and a cowboy.

I liked the character of Raine, the premises of the book, and the way it was written, like reading a letter or personal memoir. However taking the story as a whole there were some slow moments and a lack of intensity.

For more go to: http://thetalentcaverevi
  • Staking His Claim
  • Finding Opa! (The Lonely Hearts, #2)
  • A Knight's Vow
  • Cory's Salvation
  • The Color Of Trouble
  • Zoe
  • Booby Trapped and Baby Proofed
I am a mother of eight, and grandmother, a published author and motivational speaker.
More about Jewel Adams...