Dinner at the Panda Palace

Dinner at the Panda Palace

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  19 reviews
When all ten tables at the Panda Palace Restaurant are taken up with primping peacocks, carsick lions and the rest, there still seems to be room for more inthis bright and lively counting book. Full-color illustrations.
Published March 21st 1991 by HarperCollins (first published March 15th 1991)

Sharon
Dinner at Panda Palace is a numerical list of all the different types of animas that enter into the Panda Palace. The number of animals goes from 1 elephant to 5 bears and 10 peacocks! This is a great story to share with young children to help them learn to count their numbers. The story offers great illustrations of each of the animals as well as provides rhyme and unique characterics of each of the groups of animals such as the proud peacocks! This story is entertaining and educational!
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 12/21/11 -

My poor baby was in a rush at her kindergarten library earlier this week and saw 'Dinner' and grabbed it thinking it said 'Dinosaur'. Since 'dinosaur' was one of the first words she could spell I'm assuming she saw the 'd-i-n' and hauled butt to the check out. Never mind the panda on the front...
But, much like her mother, she lucked out with her choice in books because this is actually pretty darn cool. It could be called a counting book but it's a lot more than "j...more
Mymcbooks
Guess who’s coming to dinner!
Join one hungry elephant, two carsick lions, three pigs running from a wolf and dozens of other playful yet famished animals as they swing, bounce into the Panda Palace for a hearty meal.

My Review: What a great and fun way to teach children how to count from 1 – 10 with different animals visiting the Panda Palace. Also teaches and show different type of animals in the animal kingdoms. The rhymes are so adorable that children would ask for the book to be read over and...more
Dolly
Mar 21, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have really loved books that are illustrated by Nadine Bernard Westcott (like Down By the Bay and Skip to My Lou.) So we were pleasantly surprised to discover that she also illustrated this book, too. It's a fun counting story and we enjoyed listening to this book read aloud by Russell Horton on audiocassette while we followed along with the book. We got this from the library as a kit, with an audiocassette and a paperback book with ISBN 0694700541 / ISBN13 9780694700547.
Nick Shaffer
A very easy to read book that is predictable for children.
Sarah Ziskend
Good for:
-math: teaching "one more" addition
-ELA: rhyming and poems
- good read aloud
-predictions

As a teacher of mathematics,I would use this book to teach "one more" addition. It is a simple yet engaging children's book that would best be used in a K-1st grade setting. I could have my students practice along adding one more as I read the book aloud.
A counting story, like the Napping House. Just don't question restauranteur Panda's decision to seat the pigs next to the lions. The patrons are safe from one another at this cafe, even though the scenes have a Richard-Scarry-esque edge of chaos to them.
Becky B
Panda's restaurant is a popular place for the animals to have dinner. First there's one elephant, then two lions, then three pigs, and so on till the place is packed, but there is always room for one more.

A cute counting story for kids who like animals.
Clacie
A recurring favorite for my 5 & 6 year old boys. They love the rhyming & different animals featured in the story. Great illustrations too.
April
Supercute book about the opening of Mr. Panda's restaurant and all his animals friends who visit. This was a big hit during storyhour.
Brian
a fun counting book. Goodreads let us discover there's a SECOND Panda Palace book, so now Abby has that on request from the library too!
Carol Royce Owen
A cute book with lots of animals coming to the Panda Palace for dinner. Great for counting and adding practice, too.
Hayley
This book is a classic example of fun. I would relish the chance to have dinner at the Panda Palace :)
Susan
This is a great read for pre-K and kindergarden. A fun counting book.
Emma
Don't judge. I love this book. It was my favorite book as a kid.
Madelyn
I LOVED this book when I was little!!!
Maggie
One of my favorite picture books ever!
Monica
Loved the last page!
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Hike
Hike added it
Jan 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Little Mermaid (Disney Princess) Late for School! Jazzmatazz! The Principal's New Clothes Walt Disney Presents The Little Mermaid