Start by marking “Murder on the Brighton Express (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #5)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Brighton Express (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #5)

Murder on the Brighton Express (The Railway Detective #5)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  329 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
When the engines finally met, there was a deafening clash and the Brighton Express twisted and buckled, tipping its carriages onto the other line. It was a scene of utter devastation.

October, 1854. As crowds of passengers rush to make the departure of the London to Brighton Express, a man watches from the shadows nearby…

Chaos, fatalities and unbelieveable destruction are t
Published June 23rd 2008 by Allison & Busby

To ask other readers questions about Murder on the Brighton Express, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on the Brighton Express

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie4.50 from Paddington - Kereta 4.50 dari Paddington by Agatha Christie
Trains on the Cover
51st out of 81 books — 35 voters
Dead Simple by Peter JamesLooking Good Dead by Peter JamesWill's War in Brighton by Nisse VisserBrighton Rock by Graham GreeneRegency Buck by Georgette Heyer
Books Set in Brighton
36th out of 41 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy Paget
Jun 13, 2015 Amy Paget rated it liked it
This is a great summer read. A superb detective story set in Brighton in 1854. All the elements are there -- the iron-fisted superintendent, the master detective and his acolyte...and the beautiful, talented, and independent girlfriend. This is the 5th book in the series...so I know what I will be reading on vacation! The settings are very well drawn. The railroad lore is sound and the insights into British life at various levels is fascinating. You'll be VERY surprised as to who is the REAL vic ...more
Sian Wadey
May 02, 2015 Sian Wadey rated it it was ok
Shelves: murder-mysteries
My Mum recommended the Railway Detective books to me. They were a bit different and set in the 1800s. I quite enjoy historical novels, especially with a murder mystery twist.
Murder on the Brighton Express begins from the point of view of the driver of the fated Brighton Express just before it crashes with a goods locomotive. From this we follow DI Colbeck and DS Leeming as they solve what appears to be just a tragic accident.
To begin with I really enjoyed reading about long ago Brighton. Edward
Maria Thermann
Dec 06, 2014 Maria Thermann rated it it was ok
Although overall a very entertaining read, this Railway Detective mystery is not one of Marston's finest. In fact, I was not just surprised but rather annoyed to find that in the final few chapters Marston denies the reader the solving of his intellectual murder puzzle by suddenly introducing a villain - and another victim - the reader had never come across before.

Therefore, readers couldn't possibly deduce who the murderer was or what the motive for the horrendous deeds perpetrated throughout
Peter Auber
Sep 06, 2014 Peter Auber rated it it was ok
Kathleeen
Mar 27, 2015 Kathleeen rated it it was ok
Terri Lynn
Book 5 in the wonderful series by Edward Marston about Detective Inspector Richard Colbeck and his assistant Detective Sergeant Victor Leeming of Scotland Yard in Victorian era 1850's London continues to delight me.

This time around railway driver Caleb Andrews' (dad of Colbeck's ladyfriend Madeleine Andrews) friend who was the fireman in the first book about the Railway Detective is driving the Brighton Express when suddenly he sees something odd on the line and desperately tries to stop the tr
Kate
Apr 24, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
Synopsis from Amazon:

October 1854. As an autumnal evening draws to a close, crowds of passengers rush onto the soon to depart London to Brighton Express. A man watches from shadows nearby, grimly satisfied when the train pulls out of the station...Chaos, fatalities and unbelievable destruction are the scene soon after when the train derails on the last leg of its journey. What led to such devastation, and could it simply be a case of driver error? Detective Inspector Colbeck, dubbed the 'railway
Andrew
Feb 15, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
Finished within 24 hours as it kept you wanting to read on. This is book 5 in the Railway Detective Series (Robert Colbeck). These are quite light reads but I really enjoy this series and the characters within them. These books are set within the early days of the Railway and Scotland Yard. This particular one is set in October 1854. Yet another book in the series that I gave 4 stars to, can't wait to get back to this series. If you have not read any, I would strongly encourage you to give them ...more
Graham Tapper
Apr 10, 2016 Graham Tapper rated it it was amazing
This time, the Railway Detective is called in to investigate not just a single murder but the derailment of an entire train, but is it simply an unfortunate accident or something more sinister? Certainly the local investigators have already made up their mind: it was a blunder, and the engine driver was to blame. Colbeck isn't so sure, and this brings him into conflict with those who are not used to having their opinions challenged.

Colbeck persists, assisted by the estimable Sgt Leeming, and it
Richard
Mar 04, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed this series. This is my fifth so far, reading them in order. They are all very straightforward, well written detective mystery stories set in England at the height of 'Railway Mania' in the 1850's. Don't expect a rip-roaring thriller, just simple easy going detectives and ruthless criminals. They are a simple joy to read.
Pat
Aug 26, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing
When the engines finally met, there was a deafening clash and the Brighton Express twisted and buckled, tipping its carriages on to the other line. It was a scene of utter devastation.

October 1854. As crowds of passengers rush to make the departure of the London to Brighton Express, a man watches from the shadows nearby.

Chaos, fatalities and unbelievable destruction are the scene soon after when the train derails just outside the Balcombe Tunnel. Could it simply be a case of driver error? Detect
Cat
Apr 01, 2014 Cat rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
The over-the-top caricatures finally got to me in this book. The women were portrayed even worse than in previous books in the series, straying into misogyny.

Also, the mystery did not tie up in a satisfying way. Eleventh-hour players need to have more impact.
Karen wadey
May 14, 2014 Karen wadey rated it liked it
I really like these books very charming and entertaining and as I am from the Brighton area it makes it more interesting, but a bit disappointed in this story not really a murder mystery more just a mystery, I shall persevere and hope the others are an improvement.
Gerry
Dec 05, 2010 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspector Robert Colbeck solves another railway mystery with the help of his right-hand man Victor Leeming.

The Brighton train is derailed and the railway company think it an accident due to driver error. Colbeck thinks not but cannot persuade others of his case.

As usual he investigates thoroughly and is led into all sorts of blind alleys but all along he keeps his focus and eventually turns up with the perpetrator of the crime.

Throughout he maintains the love interest with his constant meetings
Lawrence
Jul 05, 2015 Lawrence rated it it was amazing
A wonderful series and of special interest to railroad buffs.
Lynn Lerch
Mar 11, 2012 Lynn Lerch rated it liked it
The Brighton Express goes of the track killing the engineer and some passengers. Why did it go off. It appears to be done by man not an accident. The railway detectives are called in to find out. The engineer that was killed was a friend of Inspector Colbeck's girlfriend's father. The train police want to say it was the engineer going too fast. Then someone tries to kill some of the survivors. Is it the priest, the member of parliment, a train employee? Fast and exciting. I was glad to find the ...more
Jules Jones
[2010-08-14] Fifth in the Railway Detective series. This time Detective Inspector Colbeck has reason to think that a train was deliberately derailed, with multiple fatalities, specifically to kill one man -- but which man? As with previous books in the series, this is enjoyable pulp that I'd be happy to read more of if it came my way, but which doesn't leave me actively wanting to seek out future books.[return][return]http://julesjones.livejournal.com/401...
Grace
Jan 24, 2011 Grace rated it liked it
The writing is solid and accurate to the time period. The mystery was good, although I don't always like it when they bring a character in at the end and say "he did it!" Well, how was I supposed to know a completely unknown character "dun-it"? But the allusions to the true character of the vicar were good and kept me guessing.
Sandra
Jan 03, 2016 Sandra rated it did not like it
A 1 punt from Oxfam, not expected to be exactly my cup of tea and proved itself to be accurately-presented by its cover. Very English, probably cosy and in an attempt to replicate the period the conversation is so stilted as to be soporific. Managed about half of it before giving up.
Julia
Oct 31, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it
the 2nd of these books i have read. Had intended reading them in sequence but this one was given to me and i decided to take it on holiday with me knowing that it would be a quick, easy read. This it was with some interesting detail re trains etc. An enjoyable read.
Cheri
Mar 03, 2009 Cheri rated it really liked it
This book was intriguing it held my interest and it was interesting to read of people's fears about trains initially.The historical context was interesting and while it was easy reading it was informative and I feel compelled to read more by Edward Marston.
Webcowgirl
Aug 30, 2013 Webcowgirl rated it it was ok
Shelves: bought
Written at a 12 year old's reading level, with a near complete lack of understanding of actual Victorian morals, this was actually difficult to finish because it was dull and formulaic. Frankly a few vampires would have probably helped.
Barry Nabbs
May 27, 2013 Barry Nabbs rated it it was ok
number 5 in this sometimes tiresome series. This was more dramatic than the last but my fear is the format remains the same and how many more "train stories" are there?
I am invested enough to see it through but not a re-reader.
Chris
Mar 24, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
This is the 5th book in the Railway Detective series sent in the 1800's of England. The "Railway Detective" was called in when a train derailed. I enjoyed this book as much as the others I have read in this series.
Kathryn
Always a fun audiobook to listen to. I’m waiting for (view spoiler).
Mary Scott
Mar 18, 2012 Mary Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
This book continues Inspector Colbeck's railway crime solving. Lots of plots and sub plots along with a window on to the period's social history. A good read.
Vicki
Feb 14, 2014 Vicki rated it it was amazing
I think this may be the best of the Railway Detective books that I have read so far. Good plot twists and characters, what more could you want?
Peter
Sep 10, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it
I found Edward Marston by accident and really enjoyed reading his book. A gentle detective story set in the early days of railway.
Richard
Jul 30, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
Inspector Colbeck tracks the man who wrecked the Brighton Express to find out who the intended victim was. Good.
Ipswichblade
Apr 18, 2013 Ipswichblade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is so good , easy read , nice length at 300 pages. Victorian murder and trains- perfect!!
  • The Limehouse Text (Barker & Llewelyn, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The White Cottage Mystery
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • A Trick of the Light (Inspector McLevy, #3)
  • Tug of War (Joe Sandilands, #6)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • Dying Room Only (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #11)
  • An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)

A pseudonym used by Keith Miles
AKA A.E. Marston

Keith Miles (born 1940) is an English author, who writes under his own name and also historical fiction and mystery novels under the pseudonym Edward Marston. He is known for his mysteries set in the world of Elizabethan theate
More about Edward Marston...

The Railway Detective (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Railway Detective
  • The Excursion Train (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #2)
  • The Railway Viaduct
  • The Iron Horse
  • The Silver Locomotive Mystery (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #6)
  • Railway to the Grave
  • Blood on the Line
  • The Stationmaster's Farewell
  • Peril on the Royal Train
  • A Ticket to Oblivion (The Railway Detective, #11)