State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #6)

State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center #6)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  2,019 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Driven by greed, a group of U.N. peacekeeping soldiers becomes involved in activities on the wrong side of the law. When their tour of duty ends, the mayhem begins. Calling themselves the "Keepers," the rogue soldiers -- outfitted with stolen U.N. arms and ammunition -- devise a shocking scheme to get the world's attention... Meanwhile, Op-Center head Paul Hood has cleared...more
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published July 28th 1999 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 1999)

Sameer
I am a long time Clancy Fan. At least for the books he actually DID Write. Those I have read every last one up to and including Threat Vector and love them immensely. Also I do actually like Net Force story line as well (Even there too the distracting Marriage Counselor role is thrust on me.).

The Op center Series in general and this one in particular Grated on my nerves. Given bellow are some of the points that I hate about this Book and the Series in general.

1. Unlike Rainbow Six, here you have...more
Dark-Draco
I did enjoy it. It's one of a series of books about an elite US Striker force that can be deployed all over the world to 'help' American interests, but this one is personal. Paul Hood, leader of the Op-Centre, has retired to give his failing marriage another go. Him, his wife and son travel to New York where his daughter, Hayleigh, has been chosen to play her violin for a United Nations conference. But a group of ex-soldiers have decided to target the UN building, taking the children and the dip...more
Dan
Aug 01, 2008 Dan marked it as given-up-reading  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's not often that I don't finish a book I start reading, but sometimes you have to make an exception.

This is the first time I've read (or attempted to read) one of these Tom Clancy books (though it's not actually written by him) and I wasn't impressed sadly.

The writing was ok, nothing special, but far too many characters and back stories were introduced too quickly and rather clumbsily, so you didn't have time to work out who was who before another character popped up and started to bore...more
Jeffrey Powell
fine. uncomplicated. okay airplane read.
Mike
I am new to the op center series, beginning this book I was hooked immediately. It gives the reader a sense of tension coming from the terrorists point of view, the hostages, op center, and tension from many other charcters point of view. There are quite a few charcters to keep track of; that being said the twists and turns the book takes makes it pretty easy to remember all the charcters and their backgrounds. I would reccomend this book it had alot of action and was very hard to put down haha.
Subhodeep Bandopadhyay
Never read a Tom Clancy novel and this was not written by him either.

A good read in the sense that it keeps you on your toes but the level of detail that you expect from books of these kinds are simply not there.

It is too simplistic to say the least. The kidnappers are more like robots that normal human beings and also there is far too less human element in the entire book.

Also not having read the previous books is obviously a hindrance.
Mikhael Belanger
This was my first Tom Clancy book. Even though it is not written only by Clancy and it has no link with the Ryan universe, I still loved this introduction to the politico-thriller style. I went on to read just about everything from Clancy in the following months.

I do not remember the story all that well, but I remember going through it in a single night. I think this is a good enough seal of approval.
Abhishek
i bought this book after reading its gist on amazon.com. i was pretty hooked by the gist, but i was a bit disappointed by the actual story; i had expected it to be better. yet its not like the complete story was a let down though; there were times of suspense and action especially when Striker is called to take down the ex UN soldiers.
Phillip
One of the best in the series, It brings hits a little closer to home the head of Op-Center's daughter is performing at a function where terrorists take the building and Paul Hood, Head of Op-Center has to figure out how to handle the situation and save his daughter and several others.
Delan
Oct 30, 2009 Delan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults (Intense violence and language)
Compliments: Very good action pack. Though it's kind of not possible that the terrorists can take over United Nation but that makes it exciting. It's kind scary for a kid to be hostage at United Nation. Paul, a op-center worker, had to rescue his daughter from the hostages.
Lydia Hale
I don't normally read books like this about terrorists and espionage. It was enjoyable, but I couldn't read books like this all the time, I'd get bored! Give me a good old fashioned Jane Austen novel instead!
Monique Mealue
I thought this was a very interesting book. I enjoy Tom Clancy's book. I started reading after my mom gave me one of his books and try to read all of them, but don't have a lot of time reading.
Kenzie Gordon
Horrible - bad writing, bad dialogue, gag-inducing Americana and glorification of violence. My first Tom Clancy book and most certainly my last!
Juan Navarro
Jeff Rovin saw he crossed the fiction-fantasy boundary in the last book and wanted to do something more credible in this one. i was a nice read
Ayelet
Interesting combination of characters all coming together. It is sad how ineffectual the UN comes off.
Greg Lang
Tom Clancy's Op-Center series are a very entertaining read with larger than life characters.
Fittytiff
I read this so long ago. But now going through my books and getting rid of some!
Clyn
Simplistic plot, short underdeveloped characters and situations.
Craig
Great, fast read. Gets going quicky
Elizabeth
Matt Stanton
I really enjoyed this one.
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Matthew Olgin
Matthew Olgin is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Hades
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • Day of Wrath
From www.loc.gov: Best-selling author Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College and he had a dream of writing a novel. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984). He has since written more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and r...more
More about Tom Clancy...
The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3) Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1) Clear and Present Danger (Jack Ryan, #5) Red Storm Rising Without Remorse (John Clark, #1)