Start by marking “Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Illustrated Stories for Children)” as Want to Read:
Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Illustrated Stories for Children)

Read Book* *Different edition

Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Graphic Revolve)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  28,609 Ratings  ·  1,655 Reviews
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, which is today considered a classic in American literature, was written in 1820 by Washington Irving. Eighty-five years later Arthur Rackham, a well-known British artist, did the marvelous illustrations that appear in this book.
Published July 13th 1998 by Gramercy (first published 1820)

To ask other readers questions about Legend of Sleepy Hollow, please sign up.

Arlissa Vaughn Since Washington Irving is no longer living, I doubt we'll get a response here...unless he is the Headless Horseman himself and decides to give us a…moreSince Washington Irving is no longer living, I doubt we'll get a response here...unless he is the Headless Horseman himself and decides to give us a visit ;)(less)

Brina
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is the old school classic read in catching up on classics for October 2016. I read an illustrated version of the Washington Irving's tale, which I finished in under an hour, and for which I rate three stars.

I was familiar with the story of the Headless Horseman, especially as it has been used in Harry Potter in the form of the ghost Nearly Headless Nick. Consequently, I was looking for an action packed story featuring the aforementioned headless horse. Even though th
Melki
Though I've seen the movie versions countless times and listened to Bing Crosby croon about Brom Bones every Halloween for decades, this was my first time reading the story and it was MAGICAL!

I really enjoyed Irving's style. His descriptions paint joyful pictures without being too wordy or grandiose. The passages about Icabod's boundless appetite and his lust for Katrina's huge...tracts of land are priceless.

Reading this story has given me a new appreciation for Irving. My goals now are:

1) Read
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

I thought this story and I were Meant To Be.

A few days before reading this, I read and reviewed Washington Irving's other famous story, Rip Van Winkle, and really enjoyed it. And then I read The Fold, which has this exchange between a high school student and his teacher in the first few pages:
“Ichabod Crane isn’t really the hero of ‘The Legend of Sleepy Hollow’.”

“Explain.”

“He’s, like, the British. You told us that when you said we couldn’t just watch the TV show to learn the story. You said th
Lyn
Oct 31, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ichabod Crane goes for a wild ride.

Washington Irving first published The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in 1820. Besides being an iconic story and a fine example of early American literature, this is also a revealing historic illustration of life in the Dutch portions of early nineteenth century New York. We get to spend some time with the corpulent and satisfied Dutch farmers and glimpse early American culture.

Irving’s language is typical of narrative fiction from his time, but is also resplendent as
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
I loved the narration of this story. Tom Mison (the actor from the Sleepy Hollow television show) narrates this book and I could seriously listen to his voice all day long. Unfortunately, I didn't liked the actual story as much as I thought I would. I really wish the story was a bit darker and less descriptive.

I would give the narration 5 stars and the story 3 stars so I'm going with 4 stars overall. I grabbed this audiobook for free from audible a while ago and it appears that it is no longer f
Melissa  Jeanette
Mar 14, 2012 Melissa Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I really enjoyed this book. After having just watched the Johny Depp movie version, I was surprised to find the book had almost nothing in common.

I read it mostly at night and I enjoyed the spooky moments (though I admit my idea of spooky is pretty low on the scale for some). Ichabod is mildly detestable as a character; he seems like he has all the foundational qualities to make a wonderful villain, were this another story. I laughed at his envisioning the Van Tassel's animals as sumptuously co
Mario
Sep 28, 2015 Mario rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I really wanted to like this story but it definitely wasn't my cup of tea. Honestly, I found the story boring. The author spent too much time on description, so the story was quite slow and it dragged. I was also really disappointed with the end. I expected that the ending will scare me at least a little but, but it didn't. The story ended pretty abruptly, and now that I've finished it, I'm glad it did. Even though this was a pretty short story, it sure felt like a long one.

Now I'm off to see t
Anne
First of all, this right here is the most cruel thing an author has ever done to his/her character:
"He was tall, but exceedingly lank, with narrow shoulders, long arms and legs, hands that dangled a mile out of his sleeves, feet that might have served for shovels, and his whole frame most loosely hung together. His head was small, and flat at top, with huge ears, large green glassy eyes, and a long snip nose, so that it looked like a weathercock perched upon his spindle neck to tell which way t
Ronyell
Sleepy

Illustrated by Robert Van Nutt

“The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is another fantastic story from Rabbit Ears’ “Storybook Classic” series. Everyone knows the famous story of Icabod Crane and his encounter with the Headless Horseman. “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is one of the greatest stories ever created by Washington Irving and with Glenn Close’s haunting narration along with Tim Story’s eerie music and Robert Van Nutt’s beautiful yet haunting illustrations makes this one classic that no one will
Sue K H
This is the Classics group short story read for October. I thought I knew this story, but I didn't. It wasn't the least bit familiar. There wasn't much about the headless horseman, although he does become prominent in the end.

This is a story about a beloved school teacher who thoroughly enjoys his simple life, yet gets caught up in trying to change his status when a rich women of the town gives him romantic attention.

The story is really about how various hobgoblins can take us off of our steady
Gavin
Oct 28, 2014 Gavin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I was happy to spot Audible giving away a copy of this classic for free. Unfortunately that is where my happiness ended. This was a very disappointing story. I have been left with a new appreciation for the Johnny Depp movie version of Sleepy Hollow. It's a wonder they got a half decent movie from the source material.

The writing was a bit flowery for my taste. Too much time spent on description and not enough time spent on the storytelling or dialogue. The story itself was a bit of a bore.

The
Katie
Dec 12, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely enchanting. I listened to this today during my drive home for Christmas break, and it strangely put me in the holiday spirit.
Brenda
Ichabod Crane’s life had been one of calm occurrence – day in and day out; his life was the same. But the meeting of a lovely young woman by the name of Katrina Van Tassel meant he was sure she would one day become his wife. But she had another vying for her attentions – Brom Bones.

The night of great revelry at her father’s home - with dancing, eating and drinking – Ichabod was sure he would be betrothed by night’s end. But on returning home his mind wouldn’t stop dwelling on the stories of the
Monique
Reading this classic short story by Washington Irvin really, truly 'cleansed the palate', as some book reviewers would put it. After reading mainly contemporary fiction, it was a breath of fresh air to read a classic piece of literature.

Some years ago, I saw the film adaptation of this book by Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp (who else? Say “Tim Burton” and the next name should be “Johnny Depp”) in the lead role of Ichabod Crane. Although the writers of the movie took certain liberties with respect
Elizabeth
Jul 27, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: playscript
Script Research

I am researching possibly shows for my upcoming season. This one has potential!

Carol
Feb 27, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Always wanted to read this classic tale of Sleepy Hollow and Ichabod Crane and it didn't disappoint except that it is just too short. Loved it though.
Léonard Gaya
This is a short story. Certainly one of the most famous (at least by name) of early American literature. Perhaps one of the first examples of the "gothic" genre in the romantic movement, before Edgar Allan Poe and H. P. Lovecraft.

It is however interesting to note that, for the most part, this piece of writing is a description of the Dutch community and rural life in the early 19th century New York suburban area: the peasants occupations, the animal farms, the chirping of birds, the hills and mea
Apatt
Oct 26, 2013 Apatt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
For most classics that I read it is easy to discern how they have stood the test of time and attain their classic status. However, a few titles, like Moby-Dick; or, The Whale and Three Men in a Boat hold little or no appeal to me at all, and why would anybody want to read them is beyond me. I am consigning The Legend of Sleepy Hollow to the “not for me” pile (though I am careful not disrespect any classics because they are still being read more than a hundred years after first publication, just ...more
Mac  Ross
I read this in one sitting at a neighbourhood library because it was recommended to me by a Librarian. She told me it was good and so I read it. I still remember reading the revised edition (Bo Hampton) of this when I was like 9-ish years old and it was so good! But this version... was not for me. I would try and read it again though.
Mandy Blair Crider
Spooky concept and one of my favorite legends. The story was a bit too descriptive for me, but I will always love it!
Gary
Oct 04, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I've seen the cartoon versions of this story....I have not seen the Johnny Depp movie, which this friend keeps telling me I need to see......

I read a simplified version, picture book to my students for 31 years of teaching,and they loved it.

Then I realized I'd not actually read the original Irving story.....so using www.gutenberg.org I downloaded it onto my Nook,and read the whole thing this past evening.....the story was very familiar, of course, but the language Irving used...the way he t
Artemis Slipknot
Επειδή έχω δεί την ταινία του Τίμ Μπάρτον περίμενα κάτι πολύ καλό, αλλά απογοητεύτηκα!
Mimi
So good. Haunting and whimsical. Tom Mison has the perfect voice and intonation for this story (because he is Ichabod Crane). Although the story is told in third-person, Mison remains in character from start to finish as the Ichabod Crane he plays in the show Sleepy Hollow. So if you like him in the show, then listening to him read the story is exactly like having Ichabod recount the story of his life in Sleepy Hollow.

For the complete review and more, visit https://covers2covers.wordpress.com/2.
Moonlight Reader
I'm doing my yearly listen to this wonderful narration of Irving's classic tale of humor and horror.

“He was tall, but exceedingly lank, with narrow shoulders, long arms and legs, hands that dangled a mile out of his sleeves, feet that might have served for shovels, and his whole frame most loosely hung together. His head was small, and flat at top, with huge ears, large green glassy eyes, and a long snipe nose, so that it looked like a weather-cock perched upon his spindle neck to tell which way
Coos Burton
description

Hermoso. Evoca sentimientos muy agradables que no puedo explicar, me trae a la mente imágenes de una velada junto con otros entusiastas de los cuentos de fantasmas que narran historias espectrales, incluso vivencias escalofriantes, todo alrededor de la luz de una tenue vela que alarga las sombras fantasmagóricas de los invitados. Sí, así me hace viajar éste gran libro. No cabe duda de que es una historia ideal para cualquier evento de Halloween, no puede faltar el clásico de aquél hórrido jinete
Tara Račić
You know something isn't right when it takes about one month to finish reading a short story of 40 pages. If you were planning on reading it and by any chance like to be bored to death, then go for it, but if not - just do yourself a favour and watch Tim Burton's movie adaptation instead.

Because young Johnny Depp.
Majo's Library.
WTF did I just read?!
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2.5

My first exposure to the story was the Disney cartoon version, which I always enjoyed as a kid.

And then there was Burton's version, which I knew differed from the story, but I didn't really know how or to what extent, since I'd never read the story.

And so when I came across it while browsing free downloads from amazon, I decided to get it.

It was a quick read, being so short, but there were also a few places where I skimmed, as the author went into great detail about the types of trees he was
Jason Parent
Jan 23, 2015 Jason Parent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this and reading this as a kid, and I loved it. I got this for free as an Audiobook on Audible and, well, it has lost some of its magic. The story is 75% description and 25% plot. And that might be me being generous. Some of it is redundant description - the atmosphere of sleepy hollow, the path to the church, etc. all explained twice in much the same manner. Long Long long ass lists of food items and clothing. Admittedly, some of the description was humorous.

What I liked most
Meli
Jan 10, 2015 Meli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó y me gustó la narración, pero el autor se regodea un poco en las descripciones. Solo en las últimas doce páginas pasa algo, si bien disfruto de una historia bien descrita y esta tiene algo de adorable, llega un punto en el que cincuenta páginas de descripción y absolutamente nada de trama te aburre un poco.
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 4
  • I, Vampire, Vol. 3: Wave of Mutilation
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • Dracula's Guest
  • Grimm's Fairy Stories
  • Gulliver's Travels (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Alchemist
  • Hero Tales from American History
  • Beauty and the Beast
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...

Graphic Revolve (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Anna Sewell's Black Beauty : the graphic novel
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Graphic Novel)
  • Dracula (Graphic Revolve) (Graphic Fiction: Graphic Revolve)
  • The Swiss Family Robinson (Graphic Revolve)
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • The Time Machine (Graphic Novel)
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Robin Hood
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

“I profess not to know how women's hearts are wooed and won. To me they have always been matters of riddle and admiration.” 112 likes
“ All these, however, were mere terrors of the night, phantoms of the mind that walk in darkness; and though he had seen many spectres in his time, and been more than once beset by Satan in divers shapes, in his lonely pre-ambulations, yet daylight put an end to all these evils; and he would have passed a pleasent life of it, in despite of the devil and all his works, if his path had not been crossed by a being that causes more perplexity to mortal man than ghosts, goblins, and the whole race of witches put together, and that was - a woman.” 48 likes