Start by marking “The Dark Side: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural” as Want to Read:
The Dark Side: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural

The Dark Side: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In a new translation by Arnold Keller all the tales of terror by Guy de Maupassant, France's greatest short story writer, are collected here in one volume. These 31 stories of the supernatural explore the furthest reaches of the macabre and at the same time parallel de Maupassant's own descent into madness and death. Includes a Foreword by modern master horror writer Ramse ...more
Published April 1st 1997 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published July 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Side

Donna
Only a few of the stories in this collection either involved the supernatural or were all that frightening to me, but I enjoyed it anyway. I'd suggest going through it slowly. Reading more than a couple a day made them get a little tedious, though I'm not sure how much of that is due to the translation, which seemed awkward at times.

My favorite stories were the strange ones that most felt like nightmares, "A Night in Paris," "The Dead Girl," and "Who Knows?" Some of the stories about obvious mad
Max Lopez
The Darkside is a collection of short stories by Guy de Maupassant. They all are around the central theme of horror and psychopathic actions. This is because he suffered from schizophrenia most of his life, so he was just as insane as many of his characters. Most of the stories start with a character telling someone about a story, and then he tells them it, which is the real story Maupassant has to tell.
The writing style used in this book is interesting, with most stories being people telling
Vittorio Ducoli
L'incubo impressionista

Come dice Henry James nella sua preziosa introduzione, è nei racconti che emerge appieno il genio di Maupassant. E questi Racconti dell'incubo permettono al nostro di scandagliare sino in fondo, sino alle estreme conseguenze, la falsità e la crudeltà dei rapporti umani: in molti casi, infatti, il cauchemar è generato dai protagonisti stessi, è conseguenza diretta della loro normale esistenza, delle loro azioni quotidiane.
Senza dubbio questi racconti devono molto a Poe, ma
Wayne
Jun 06, 2012 Wayne marked it as to-read

To Goodread's Friend, Plch
who read these stories in 1993 and retrospectively awarded it 5 stars.
I have 4 or 5 books of G de M's short stories
and generally think they are some of the best ever written,
or perhaps I should say the best I have so far come across!!!

However I don't think I have read any/many
of these supernatural stories.
A difficult genre, I feel.
Put all in one book, they can point up weaknesses
eg., cliches and repetitions and absurdities
that lessen the chill
and consequently the
Nat
I was quite disappointed by this. Maupassant wrote The Horla which is one of the absolutely best supernatural horror stories ever. One of my top five favorites.
What was I saying?
Oh, yes... so, I bought this book hoping for some more macabre genius. Well, there just wasn't much worth reading in here. They were nearly all obvious and more or less pedestrian in style. The Horla seems to have been a fluke.
Jaime Contreras
This collected works by France's Guy de Maupassant will shake you because of the darkness, psychological extremes and terror that they convey. While not for eberyone, all will agree that they are wonderfully and creatively written. I have been a fan of this man's for over 20 years ago when i picked up an anthology that contained his masterpiece, "The Horla."
Bill
I rented the book just to read the short story "A Vendetta," which is set in the southern Corsican town of Bonifacio.

The result: highly lame.

I'm waiting for Merimee's "Colomba" to come in to read a better account of a Corsican Vendetta. At the very least, I know I can count on Dumas' "Corsican Brothers" to spice things up!
Aaron
I recently read another collection of Maupassant stories and I feel that this one suffered from poor translation. The title of the collection also conveys the wrong impression. The vast majority of these tales were structured around basic human cruelty and not the fantastic.
Matthew
Although some readers may be disappointed that not all the stories have supernatural elements, as the name of the book suggests, these tales are vivid, earthy and beautifully written. They are all masterclasses in storytelling.
Anastasia
i was looking for creepy stories to read to get in the halloween spirit, this was a good choice. definately give it a shot if your in the mood for the hairs on your neck to stand up.
Andrea
Brilliant and terrifying, even when you don't know where the terror comes from, a superb collection of Maupassant's stories.
Linda
Short stories that pack a punch and leave you thinking about them long afterward. Frightening!
Dana
Oct 22, 2008 Dana marked it as to-read
on of my teen volunteers at the library rec'd this
Angus Samuels
Angus Samuels marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Demian
Demian marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Miche
Miche marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
sweet peas
sweet peas marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
Martin Shone
Martin Shone marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Samantha Silver
Samantha Silver marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Elena Zolotariov
Elena Zolotariov marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Hauntings: Tales of the Supernatural
  • Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural
  • The Dracula Book of Great Vampire Stories
  • Carmen and Other Stories
  • Ghost Stories
  • The Dark Descent (Collection)
  • Ghosts and Grisly Things
  • Painted Devils: Strange Stories
  • Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
  • The Lovecraft Anthology, Volume 1
  • Technicians of the Sacred: A Range of Poetries from Africa, America, Asia, Europe and Oceania
  • The Breaking Point: Stories
  • Tales of the Lovecraft Mythos
  • Uncanny Stories (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural)
  • The Evil Guest
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me
  • Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales Of The Here And Now
  • Dinners and Nightmares
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i ...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...
Bel-Ami The Necklace and Other Short Stories Une vie Le Horla et autres nouvelles fantastiques Boule de Suif (21 contes)