Start by marking “The Dark Side: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural” as Want to Read:
The Dark Side: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural

The Dark Side: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural

In a new translation by Arnold Keller all the tales of terror by Guy de Maupassant, France's greatest short story writer, are collected here in one volume. These 31 stories of the supernatural explore the furthest reaches of the macabre and at the same time parallel de Maupassant's own descent into madness and death. Includes a Foreword by modern master horror writer Ramse ...more
Published April 1st 1997 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Side

Donna
Jun 19, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only a few of the stories in this collection either involved the supernatural or were all that frightening to me, but I enjoyed it anyway. I'd suggest going through it slowly. Reading more than a couple a day made them get a little tedious, though I'm not sure how much of that is due to the translation, which seemed awkward at times.

My favorite stories were the strange ones that most felt like nightmares, "A Night in Paris," "The Dead Girl," and "Who Knows?" Some of the stories about obvious mad
Max Lopez
Apr 07, 2015 Max Lopez rated it really liked it
The Darkside is a collection of short stories by Guy de Maupassant. They all are around the central theme of horror and psychopathic actions. This is because he suffered from schizophrenia most of his life, so he was just as insane as many of his characters. Most of the stories start with a character telling someone about a story, and then he tells them it, which is the real story Maupassant has to tell.
The writing style used in this book is interesting, with most stories being people telling
Vittorio Ducoli
Feb 23, 2013 Vittorio Ducoli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L'incubo impressionista

Come dice Henry James nella sua preziosa introduzione, è nei racconti che emerge appieno il genio di Maupassant. E questi Racconti dell'incubo permettono al nostro di scandagliare sino in fondo, sino alle estreme conseguenze, la falsità e la crudeltà dei rapporti umani: in molti casi, infatti, il cauchemar è generato dai protagonisti stessi, è conseguenza diretta della loro normale esistenza, delle loro azioni quotidiane.
Senza dubbio questi racconti devono molto a Poe, ma
Wayne

To Goodread's Friend, Plch
who read these stories in 1993 and retrospectively awarded it 5 stars.
I have 4 or 5 books of G de M's short stories
and generally think they are some of the best ever written,
or perhaps I should say the best I have so far come across!!!

However I don't think I have read any/many
of these supernatural stories.
A difficult genre, I feel.
Put all in one book, they can point up weaknesses
eg., cliches and repetitions and absurdities
that lessen the chill
and consequently the
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 Jaime Contreras rated it really liked it
This collected works by France's Guy de Maupassant will shake you because of the darkness, psychological extremes and terror that they convey. While not for everyone, all will agree that they are wonderfully and creatively written. I have been a fan of this man's for over 20 years ago when I picked up an anthology that contained his masterpiece, "The Horla." There are some treasures in this anthology.
Nat
Jun 19, 2008 Nat rated it it was ok
I was quite disappointed by this. Maupassant wrote The Horla which is one of the absolutely best supernatural horror stories ever. One of my top five favorites.
What was I saying?
Oh, yes... so, I bought this book hoping for some more macabre genius. Well, there just wasn't much worth reading in here. They were nearly all obvious and more or less pedestrian in style. The Horla seems to have been a fluke.
Bill
Jan 11, 2009 Bill rated it did not like it
I rented the book just to read the short story "A Vendetta," which is set in the southern Corsican town of Bonifacio.

The result: highly lame.

I'm waiting for Merimee's "Colomba" to come in to read a better account of a Corsican Vendetta. At the very least, I know I can count on Dumas' "Corsican Brothers" to spice things up!
Matthew
Jan 04, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although some readers may be disappointed that not all the stories have supernatural elements, as the name of the book suggests, these tales are vivid, earthy and beautifully written. They are all masterclasses in storytelling.
Aaron
Mar 13, 2008 Aaron rated it it was ok
I recently read another collection of Maupassant stories and I feel that this one suffered from poor translation. The title of the collection also conveys the wrong impression. The vast majority of these tales were structured around basic human cruelty and not the fantastic.
Andrea
Dec 26, 2009 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and terrifying, even when you don't know where the terror comes from, a superb collection of Maupassant's stories.
Anastasia
Oct 10, 2007 Anastasia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
i was looking for creepy stories to read to get in the halloween spirit, this was a good choice. definately give it a shot if your in the mood for the hairs on your neck to stand up.
Pan
Pan rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
S©aP
S©aP rated it liked it
May 27, 2012
Liliana
Liliana rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Dana
Oct 22, 2008 Dana marked it as to-read
on of my teen volunteers at the library rec'd this
Emile Foxhill
Emile Foxhill rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
Simon Cambridge
Simon Cambridge rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2014
N Klepacki
N Klepacki rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2009
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2007
DJ Ha
DJ Ha rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2011
Lisa Hoffer
Lisa Hoffer rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2014
Edward Lengel
Edward Lengel rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2009
Vaishnavi
Vaishnavi rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2011
Sheepbunny
Sheepbunny rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2008
Zombieland
Zombieland rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Ennoia
Ennoia rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Christine Legan
Christine Legan rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
sierra walsh
sierra walsh rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2015
  • Ghost Stories
  • The Phantom World
  • Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
  • Dark Companions
  • The Tree That Time Built: A Celebration of Nature, Science, and Imagination (A Poetry Speaks Experience)
  • The Other Woman
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me
  • Dracula's Brood: Neglected Vampire Classics
  • Meow, Baby!
  • Greetings from Hellville
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i ...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...