Start by marking “The Mexican Tree Duck” as Want to Read:
The Mexican Tree Duck

The Mexican Tree Duck (C.W. Sughrue #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  458 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Ex-private eye C.W. Sughrue has been depressed, jobless and living in the basement of a morgue, but now a job has come up. He sets off on an odyssey of liquor, sex and gunplay to find a missing woman who has eluded the FBI and cocaine dealers.
Published October 1st 1994 by Mysterious Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Mexican Tree Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mexican Tree Duck

Dan Schwent
When a biker buddy hires him to find his birth mother, Sughrue takes the case, only to find himself ensnared in a web of drugs, sex, drugs, likes, drugs, murder, and a baby named Lester. Sughrue puts together a band of his misfit war buddies and goes on the hunt. But every damn person he talks to is lying to him...

If Raymond Chandler and Hunter S. Thompson were able to mate successfully, their offspring would be a lot like James Crumley. His books read like Dr. Gonzo pretending to be Philip Marl
Kemper
C.W. Sughrue isn’t your typical private detective. He considers the holy trinity of the 20th century to be cash, drugs and firepower, and he uses huge amounts of all three to work his cases. A Vietnam veteran who ping pongs between paranoia, sentimentality, anger and depression, Sughrue scares even his craziest friends sometimes. And he knows a lot of crazy people.

Things have been slow in the private detective game in Montana. Sughrue has been trying to run a bar, but when the responsibility of
Cathy DuPont
Okay, okay, okay. It was almost a solid four star.

This was another great read by James Crumley, a mystery series starring C. W. Sughrue, P. I.

Crumley published his first book on Vietnam in 1969. He wrote for more than four decades beginning in 1969 and ending in 2005. His style is colorful and clear with wonderful descriptions of the west. Sughrue travels around the countryside, the western United States, like he owns every parcel.

The only reason I fussed with the three vs four for this book,
Mike
Not as good as some of Crumley's other novels but still better than average.

C.W. "Sonny" Sughrue hasn't been active in the P.I. business for awhile, he has been quietly managing a small bar in his adopted hometown of Meriwether, Montana. That changes after he "executes" a jukebox (in a most spectacular fashion) and has to seek refuge with Solomon Rainbolt - a friend, fellow Vietnam veteran and (ugh) lawyer. One thing leads to another and soon he's off on a case that takes him cross country in t
Melissa
Bill  Kerwin

For somebody who loved "The Last Good Kiss," I found this a disappointing novel--rambling, discursive and out of control. Because Crumley is still a helluva writer, many of the set-pieces--like the marvelous beginning--are wonderful. But, all taken together, they do not add up to a book.
Luca Lesi
"Non fa più male. Avevo alzato il bicchiere alla luce autunnale - però non fa nemmeno meno male - La tequila andava giù liscia come la luce polverosa del pomeriggio. Quando avevo rimesso il bicchiere sul banco. "
description
"Certo — aveva detto Bob, riempiendo un altro bicchierino per tutti. Era andato giù come l’ultima speranza di una razza in estinzione."
Godetevi allora il citato pezzo di Hank Snow, il ranger che canta,
It don't hurt anymore
"I giovani vedono nella primavera la stagione del rinnovamento,
Mariano Hortal
Publicado en http://lecturaylocura.com/no-se-cansa...

Cada uno de estos libros merecería una entrada propia. Normalmente suelo unirlos en posts conjuntos, porque si no, el blog estaría lleno de entradas de la excelente colección de novela negra/policíaca del sello de RBA Serie Negra. En esta ocasión, y aprovechando el tirón de este monográfico de literatura de género, os pongo a continuación una nueva batería con tres clásicos que ordenaré de más moderno a más antiguo.
El primero del que voy a hab
Larry Webber
Oct 10, 2008 Larry Webber rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Willeford & Hiaasen fans
This may be the craziest novel I've ever read. The violence gets ridiculously implausible and the plot unwieldy, but along the way there are plenty of great moments, lines and characters thrown into the chaos. I think Crumley was trying to say something about America's drug culture and the aftermath of Vietnam here but I think he failed to say anything coherent. It may be that he intended an 'impressionist' novel, but it didn't really work for me.
As others have said before me, after reading "The
Unai
Vuelvo a irme de paseo por el género narconegro con el detective Sughrue. Esta vez años después de su primera historia, y en una novela que es mucho mejor que la primera en muchos aspectos, aunque peor en otros. El caso tiene que ver con un narco motero medio chalado amigo de Sughrue, a quien contrata, tras liarse a tiros de formas bastante ida de la olla, para que localice a una señora Mexicana, la cual asegura que es su madre.

Esta señora, está buscada ademas por medio mundo, FBI, DEA y demás a
Lester
Let's get this straight--I'm a Crumley fan, ok? I love his books, I love his writing. So, I'm the "preached-to choir", the target market, shall we say? Just FYI.

This particular Crumley novel stands out for me simply because there is a significantly reckless, anarchic, messed-up feeling to the book...veering from funny to poignant, to crazed, dark and viciously savage at times. It's another one of his "road books" (as so many of his books have the American highway in them, almost like a supportin
Jay
Every time Crumley did a catalog of the dope the characters were using at the moment, I thought that it must reflect what he was doing as he wrote; nevertheless, I enjoyed it very much. It captured a certain attitude I saw in my friends from the Army after we were discharged.

It does contain quotes such as:

"Perhaps only people who followed the letter of the law, instead of the spirit, would think of us as bad guys. Recently, it came to me that the letter of the law was a dollar sign, and the spi
Sally Tomaszewski
The word craft is excellent, but the story was so freakin' confusing. I need to re-read it to figure out what happened. Plus, I really didn't like C. W. Much. His constant use of drugs and alcohol makes me wonder how he got to be so old.
Greenockian
This is a very well written novel that spans borders, cultures and categorisation. The hero, for want of a better word, is a Vietnam veteran with a lot of past which all comes in helpful on his quest. There are definitely Homeric undertones with characters who stand out as Greek-myth-like gods and monsters but it's also kick in the backside up to date.

I've read the other reviews here and the positive ones get it right - this is one to get hold of: I imagine I'll start a Crumley obsession now!
Aramys
El pato mexicano es una pedazo de novela. Una road movie, una novela de la generación Beat con tintes sangrientos y gente muy armada. Crumley escribe muy, muy, bien, con un tono contundente, sobrio, pero con ligeros toques de humor (siempre hay animales que tienen comportamientos humanos), con situaciones locas, fuera de control, y todo con una calidad extraordinaria. Novela muy recomendable.
Jgwheaton
Well written but absolutely insane. Crumley must have spent the time between The Last Good Kiss and Mexican Tree Duck in a state of pure drug-induced psychosis, as C.W. moved from drinking a lot of whiskey to consuming vast quantities of Bolivian marching powder.

It's been said that nobody reads Crumley for plot and I thoroughly agree with that sentiment.
Nigel
Awesome fast-moving crime thriller with a sprawling, formless plot but a riveting story full of bad-ass characters with lousy attitudes, hair-trigger tempers, serious substance dependencies and terrifying amounts of firepower. There's also love and heartbreak, tragedy and hollow triumphs, friendship, PTSD and some friendly waterfowl. Crumley's the king.
Tim Lockfeld
Like a James Lee Burke book if he hadn't gone sober. Very ambitious, slightly uneven. It has perhaps too many characters and subplots(for my feeble mind). The nonchalance of the violence and the endless drugging and drinking without physical consequence didn't quite play. Still, I liked it.
Mike
Lord I just love Crumley!!!!!!! So much I'm giving this one five stars. If you want to be thoroughly entertained by a curmudgeon detective on the move, or if you want to wade into Crumley's crazed world, this is a good place to start. A great American treasure, he was.....
Brett
The third and best Crumley I've read yet. No wonder this is the one he's known for. Dude is definitely the most unique detective/mystery writer I've ever read.
Bill
I got hooked on reading it again after friend got a copy for Christmas. I love this series. Never gets old no matter how many times I return to it.
Foul97
A descent into addiction nobody writes drug culture lime crumley. Noir drenched in a drug induced haze but very entertaining charachters
Brucie
Motivation and mission are mostly missing in the lives of these characters who get into desparate situations and help each other out.
David Austin
Worth reading for the characters and one liners. But the plot is for the most part rambling.
Doug
Not his finest. Reads like Crumley was doing as much blow as his hero.
Mitchell
James Chumley is required reading for any true mystery fan.
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Kevin Turen
Kevin Turen marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Riley Reinhold
Riley Reinhold marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • Headstone (Jack Taylor, #9)
  • Miami Blues
  • Hell to Pay
  • Moth (Lew Griffin, #2)
  • Money to Burn (Casey Jones Mysteries #3)
  • Nothing More than Murder
  • Hard as Nails (Joe Kurtz, #3)
  • The Wrong Quarry (Quarry #11)
  • The Night and the Music
  • The Twenty-Year Death (Hard Case Crime #108)
  • The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6)
  • Pike
  • Blue Belle (Burke, #3)
  • A Long Walk Up the Water Slide (Neal Carey #4)
James Arthur Crumley was the author of violent hardboiled crime novels and several volumes of short stories and essays, as well as published and unpublished screenplays. He has been described as "one of modern crime writing's best practitioners", who was "a patron saint of the post-Vietnam private eye novel"and a cross between Raymond Chandler and Hunter S. Thompson.His book The Last Good Kiss has ...more
More about James Crumley...

C.W. Sughrue (4 books)
  • The Last Good Kiss (C.W. Sughrue, #1)
  • Bordersnakes
  • The Right Madness
The Last Good Kiss (C.W. Sughrue, #1) The Wrong Case Dancing Bear Bordersnakes The Right Madness