Casino

Casino

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  11 reviews
With the intensity of a Jacobean tragedy, Casino unfolds its tale of a love triangle between a gambler, his wife, and his henchman amid the glittering, festering Babylon of Las Vegas. The film makes daring use of voice-over and rapidly shifting points of view and time frame, leaving conventional film language far behind.
Published October 10th 1996 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Casino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Casino

Tomas
Es una novela negra algo particular, porque está escrita a modo de non-fiction novel, predominando la primera persona, a través de testimonios personales de un sinnúmero de personas, desde el propio Roshental hasta camareras, crupieres, agentes del FBI, mafiosos y amigos y parientes de los protagonistas.

Los hechos relatados son reales, así como lo son todos los personajes, por lo que el estilo non-fiction, sin novelar ni dramatizar el texto, me parece acertada, aunque se traduzca en una prosa fr...more
Andrew Tollemache
Its prolly heresy but I think I prefer "Casino" to "Goodfellas", of the 2 Scorsese/Pileggi film efforts. This book is the actual long form journalism that "Casino" the movie was based on. The names are different and Frank Rosenthal/Ace Rothstein is not quite the mensch with a pscho wife the movie mad him out be, but it is a good investigation into how integral the mob was to operating casinos in the US up until the early 80s.
Rien
I actually listened to the audiobook and loved it. The voice actor reading for Frank "Lefty" Rosenthal was phenomenal. If you have the chance grab the audiobook I really recommend it.
Allison
I didn't like how this book was written, I thought it was light on actual story and too heavy on dialogue for my taste. I felt like I was listening to a middle schooler tell a story from class: and I said don't tell him about the skimming... and he said Lefty doesn't tolerate that kind of behavior...and I said...blah blah blah. Throw in some terrible voice acting and it was not my favorite.
Jam
Extremely badly written. It is factual though and informative, but it lacked utterly any poetic of imaginative touch. It was just like a huge brain dump of the accounts of the organized crime prevalent in the years when it happened. It also discussed about the rigging of Las Vegas casino games. Bored me to death, just finished it so that I could use my bookmark on a different book.
Natalie
I LOVED this book. I was expecting it to be very close to the movie sort of like 'Wiseguy' was to Goodfellas. But it was a lot different. I love these true gangster stories and could read/watch them all day long. It was interesting to see what was actually different from the way it was portrayed in the film. What lives these people led! I highly recommend.
Richard
The movie is a classic Scorsese and one of my top tens. If you want the real names, events and actual Vegas casino where it all really happened, read this book.
Brenda
i loved this book. though a little different i loved the movie too. lots of facts about mafia and vegas casinos when they first opened. a very good read.
Saman Kashi
Aug 06, 2008 Saman Kashi added it
Shelves: screenplay

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده‌ است؛ می‌توانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Angela Rowe

Could not even make myself finish reading it!
did not like much...used too many characters
Robson Kilimanjaro
Robson Kilimanjaro marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Thonv
Thonv marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Kevin Johnstone
Kevin Johnstone marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Alex O'Keefe
Alex O'Keefe marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Shurik
Shurik marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Hope Johanna
Hope Johanna marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Sepi Taalasmaa
Sepi Taalasmaa marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Andrew Franco
Andrew Franco marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Joseph Smith
Joseph Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Nicholas Pileggi is best known for writing the book Wiseguy, which he adapted into the movie Goodfellas, and for writing the book and screenplay Casino. The movie versions of both were co-written and directed by Martin Scorsese. Pileggi also wrote the screenplay for the 1996 film City Hall. He began his career as a journalist and had a profound interest in the Mafia. This is where he developed his...more
More about Nicholas Pileggi...
Wiseguy Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas Blye, Private Eye Rao's Cookbook: Over 100 Years of Italian Home Cooking The Wise Guy Cookbook: My Favorite Recipes From My Life as a Goodfella to Cooking on the Run