Start by marking “Casino” as Want to Read:
Casino

Casino

With the intensity of a Jacobean tragedy, Casino unfolds its tale of a love triangle between a gambler, his wife, and his henchman amid the glittering, festering Babylon of Las Vegas. The film makes daring use of voice-over and rapidly shifting points of view and time frame, leaving conventional film language far behind.
Published October 10th 1996 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Casino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Casino

Richard
Mar 22, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
The movie is a classic Scorsese and one of my top tens. If you want the real names, events and actual Vegas casino where it all really happened, read this book.
Carolina Morales
Sep 09, 2014 Carolina Morales rated it really liked it
This is an excellent novel (and movie, starring my #2 favourite Bob de Niro - because, as y'all must know, no one can beat Al Pacino) based on a true story. Ace is the 'right' guy, street smart, with the good finger for bets and rotten finger for women. When he falls in love for Ginger, a VIP prostitute sickly in love for both her pimp and heroin, things start to fall apart as the stakes get too high with an innocent child involved, namely their daughter.
Andrew Tollemache
Jun 08, 2014 Andrew Tollemache rated it really liked it
Its prolly heresy but I think I prefer "Casino" to "Goodfellas", of the 2 Scorsese/Pileggi film efforts. This book is the actual long form journalism that "Casino" the movie was based on. The names are different and Frank Rosenthal/Ace Rothstein is not quite the mensch with a pscho wife the movie mad him out be, but it is a good investigation into how integral the mob was to operating casinos in the US up until the early 80s.
Jam
Mar 26, 2012 Jam rated it did not like it
Extremely badly written. It is factual though and informative, but it lacked utterly any poetic of imaginative touch. It was just like a huge brain dump of the accounts of the organized crime prevalent in the years when it happened. It also discussed about the rigging of Las Vegas casino games. Bored me to death, just finished it so that I could use my bookmark on a different book.
Allison
May 16, 2012 Allison rated it did not like it
I didn't like how this book was written, I thought it was light on actual story and too heavy on dialogue for my taste. I felt like I was listening to a middle schooler tell a story from class: and I said don't tell him about the skimming... and he said Lefty doesn't tolerate that kind of behavior...and I said...blah blah blah. Throw in some terrible voice acting and it was not my favorite.
Natalie
Dec 30, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book. I was expecting it to be very close to the movie sort of like 'Wiseguy' was to Goodfellas. But it was a lot different. I love these true gangster stories and could read/watch them all day long. It was interesting to see what was actually different from the way it was portrayed in the film. What lives these people led! I highly recommend.
Rien
Apr 06, 2014 Rien rated it really liked it
I actually listened to the audiobook and loved it. The voice actor reading for Frank "Lefty" Rosenthal was phenomenal. If you have the chance grab the audiobook I really recommend it.
Saman Kashi
Apr 24, 2008 Saman Kashi added it
Shelves: screenplay

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Brenda
May 06, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing
i loved this book. though a little different i loved the movie too. lots of facts about mafia and vegas casinos when they first opened. a very good read.
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2008
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
JT
JT rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Cara
Cara rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2013
David Pettit
David Pettit rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2014
Zella Kate
Zella Kate rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
David Burgwyn
David Burgwyn rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Farhad
Farhad rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2008
Chris Warning
Chris Warning rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Nora Greaves
Nora Greaves rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2012
Annemarie
Annemarie rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • About Schmidt (Schmidt, #1)
  • The Untouchables
  • The Life of David Gale
  • The Matrix
  • کاغذ بی‌خط، فیلم‌نامه
  • Goombata: The Improbable Rise and Fall of John Gotti and His Gang
  • آژانس شیشه‌ای
  • 28 Days Later (Faber and Faber Screenplays)
  • Cinema Paradiso
  • Mosby's Memoirs: The Memoirs of Colonel John Singleton Mosby
  • Collected Screenplays
  • Raiders And Rebels: The Golden Age Of Piracy
  • A Box of Rain: Lyrics, 1965-1993
Nicholas Pileggi is best known for writing the book Wiseguy, which he adapted into the movie Goodfellas, and for writing the book and screenplay Casino. The movie versions of both were co-written and directed by Martin Scorsese. Pileggi also wrote the screenplay for the 1996 film City Hall. He began his career as a journalist and had a profound interest in the Mafia. This is where he developed his ...more
More about Nicholas Pileggi...