Start by marking “The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)

The Rogue (Liar's Club #5)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,005 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A gambler and a liar?

Ethan Damont’s legendary gambling skills have earned him a place at the gaming tables of London’s most exclusive homes. He has used his dubious place in Society to aid the Liar’s Club. But his latest favor to the group has not only put his life in danger—it has thrown him together with the woman who tempts him to forgo his rakish ways. Lady Jane Pennin
Mass Market Paperback, 325 pages
Published June 13th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rogue

Mojca
Ethan Damont is a gambler, constantly living on the fringe of Society - dangling between worlds - not quite an outsider, but not belonging either. This trait of his has brought him to the attention of the Liar's Club, and he finds himself the newest, and not so willing, recruit to the strange band of thieves, gentlemen, and spies.

His first mission is to "infiltrate" the household of Lord Maywell, a suspected traitor to the Crown, where he meets Maywell's niece, Lady Jane Pennington, hanging upsi
Elis Madison
Ethan (the Diamond) Damont is an accomplished cheater gambler, who has been targeted by The Liars (a bunch of spies/saboteurs/assassins for the Crown). The thing is, even the Liars aren't sure whether "targeted" means he's a guy who knows too much and is a liability

Or whether his cheating gambling skills might make him a great recruit for the Liars.

And, unfortunately for Ethan, the Liars aren't the only ones who are asking themselves this question.

Lady Jane Pennington and her mum were left pen
Ruth
I LOVED the hero and heroine in this one. The story starts off lightly enough but descends into something darker than the preceeding books. The hero is the most reluctant of spies and the heroine the most enthusiastic. The dialogue, both between the main protagonists and internal, just sparkles - witty, dry and fast. The heroine is absolutely intriguing and I love the way the author keeps you guessing about her motives. The hero is also delicious - naughty and sexy, which nicely describes the lo ...more
Debbie
I picked this up at a used book sale a few years ago and didn't know what to expect, not being familiar with the author or series. Turns out it was really good! The main characters are interesting and likeable, and I loved that they were quick to laugh (snort with laughter in fact, several times in Lady Jane's case) at things that also made me laugh. And of course, I'm always drawn to spunky, smart, independent female characters. I'm interested enough to pick up the others in the Liar's Club ser ...more
Lea Bourg'
The fifth and final book Liar's Club ... to my great regret ><
While Jane can't wait for the Season to be over, she comes across the beautiful but terribly intriguing Ethan Damont while she is in a very embarrassing position. However, if he doesn't look like one, Ethan is a true gentleman and Jane feels increasingly drawn to him. But when she finds herself caught in the middle of a terrible tangle of secrets, Jane is going to need all the help she can have, whatever the doubts and torments
Kimia Safavi
Loved It!

The Rogue is a great regency romance and the fifth book in "The Liar's Club"series. This is the second book I read by Celeste Bradley, I enjoyed it a lot and couldn't put it down.
The story of Ethan and Lady Jane was funny, romantic with lots of adventures. The plot was great and unexpected, the characters were believable , strong and real, The dialogue were witty and funny. I am looking forward to read more books by Celeste Bradley,her writing is amazing.

Alex
I didn't anticipated the ending but overall it was okay. I wasn't convinced about the "rogue" part

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Belinda McBride
This one is light and a bit fluffy. I haven't read the rest of the series yet was able to put together the bigger picture with the other characters and the over-arching plot-line. There were some moments I had to suspend disbelief, but that's okay.

The hero and heroine are quite appealing, the sexual tension is pretty hot.

It moved quickly and gave me a few laughs, but unfortunately I don't know that the laughs were intended. At one point, the hero is angsting about his lack of social status and
Beno
I enjoyed reading it. just an all together great book, completely different from the others in the series in that it is the characters are not technically in the 'liar's club' and it also introduces more characters of 'the royal four' which I found completely awesome and exciting.
Jane and Ethan are both such a great couple that I am just completely jealous.
Crystal
Hmmm... I wonder if others were as confused as I was. Her father's brother dead, and her fortune changed. It took me until after the book was done to understand - her uncle was dead, so the heir who took over recruited her.

V. entertaining when they figure out they've been spying for different departments who apparently didn't talk to each other (or rather, the head of one made a realization and contacted the other right near the end).

I wanted to pat Ethan on the head at various times. It's just
Sue
First time I've ever read a love scene in a book like this where the man seduces the woman without ever touching her - he talks her into doing it herself in a carriage.
Was a fun read - the love scenes were excellent.
Jess Schira
Not as good as the previous books in this series, but still an enjoyable read.
Karina Westermann
Erin H
Apr 13, 2013 Erin H rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: rpo
This was the book I looked forward to the most when starting this series. I ended up loving the first book, the Pretender, the best but this one wasn’t bad. I loved the chemistry between Ethan and Jane. Jane was such a funny heroine, their first meeting was awesome and I didn’t expect her to actually hang from a tree! The ending was the best part of the book. A lot of action happened and I was happy with how Ethan chose to spend his life, especially with Jane.
Carito Cárdenas guevara
Muy interesante historia con personajes intrigantes e inusuales, Jane es una chica'heredera' q al fin de cuentas es otra cosa q uno no se espera y Ethan es, bueno, increíblemente receloso de la sociedad. .. Me gustó mucho q, aunque ninguno de los dos personajes estuviera 100% involucrado con los Mentirosos, éstos les dieran un buen final a esta serie
Shelley
Charming, hot and hilarious. I laughed out loud quite a few times, and pretty well adored Jane and Ethan. The romance was almost the B plot to the spy A plot, which worked really well for this duo. The snippet of next book also had me laughing, what with Olivia's mother shoving her over the bridge into the Thames to get an Earl's attention. Awesome.
I loved this book. It has great twists in it. I was not prepared for what happen. I love Ethan I felt for him with his drinking. It's hilarious the changing of the household staff bcos didn't want to take the time to learn their names. Great action throughout. Fantastic HEA.
Chelsea
Kinkier than your average Regency romance! Or, kinkier than Julia Quinn, I should say, since she's my main foray into Regency. Part of a larger series, so some of the plot was lost on me, but the plot isn't really the point of these books, anyway.
Deborah Vespo
All I have to say is... Celeste there better be another Liar's Club. You can't leave me hanging like that!!!

^^ This is my addendum to the above message, Seducing the Spy is the next book! Yeah!!!! I found it - Happy dance!
Michelle
This was a decent historical with good suspense & great sexual tension between Ethan & Jane. Slow beginning, though, and would have been better had I read others in the series first!
Cheryl Tollestrup
Loved the main characters, plot was interesting with lots of twists and turns, and the author at times kept the storyline hot and sizzling or the banter light and humorous.
Adconacher

A strong 3.5, but maybe I only felt that way because the other books in the series only rated 2 stars and it's been awhile since I've read a 5 star book.
Minnie
I quite liked this book. Both hero and heroine had a refreshing personality. And a cliffhanger at the end if the book! Looking forward to reading the next book :)
Ashley
It's a toss up for me if I adore Ethan more than Dalton. They're both adorable in their own ways. Great end to the series and lead-up to the Royal Four.
Brianna
it was pretty good. i was surprised that Ethan was quite good at keep his hands to himself with Jane presented. makes him even more of a gentleman.
Corinne
Very slow start. Wasn't sure I'd be able to finish it. Got better toward the end. I enjoyed her Heiress Brides series a lot more.
Frances Fuller
I must be reading different books than the ones everyone else is giving three and four stars to. This one just one more ho-hum.
Nanette
Ethan and Jane; one of bradleys better books but her plots are uneven. Ethan is a nice change for a hero. good love scenes.
Silentdreamer
I liked the plot and the interplay between them! :) better than the other liar book I read.
Andrea
A fun spy/historical romance. I think I'll check out more by Celeste Bradley.
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • The Dangerous Lord (Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • The Love Affair of an English Lord (Boscastle, #2)
  • When Dashing Met Danger (Spies, #1)
  • The Scarlet Spy
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4)
  • Taming Rafe (Bancroft Brothers, #2)
  • Notorious Rake, Innocent Lady (Ramsden Brothers, #1)
  • Daring the Duke (Lords of Intrigue, #2)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
Celeste Bradley is the author of Fallen, which was nominated for a RITA in 2002, and The Pretender, the first book in the Liars series. According to Bradley, the best thing about writing is that she finally gets to use the brain full of trivia she's collected over a lifetime of living in eight states, residing in over twenty homes, and changing her major five times. "It was research for my writing ...more
More about Celeste Bradley...

Liar's Club (5 books)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • The Impostor (Liar's Club, #2)
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)
The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1) To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1) Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides, #3) Desperately Seeking a Duke (Heiress Brides, #1) The Spy (Liar's Club #3)