Start by marking “The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)” as Want to Read:
The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)

The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,072 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Who is the charmer?

Collis Tremayne could make any female swoon; yet no one would guess the hidden desperation that drove him to become the most skilled spy in service to the Crown. All that stand in his way is...Rose Lacey, the first female Lair and a confounding chit who manages to outsmart him with cunning and courage. She is the only woman he cannot melt with his smile.
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published October 5th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Charmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charmer

The Black Hawk by Joanna BourneThe Spymaster's Lady by Joanna BourneMy Lord and Spymaster by Joanna BourneThe Forbidden Rose by Joanna BournePetals in the Storm by Mary Jo Putney
Regency Female Spies
6th out of 46 books — 21 voters
Cop's Passion by Angela VerdeniusAlex by Angela VerdeniusDoctor's Delight by Angela VerdeniusVet's Desire by Angela VerdeniusPerfection by R.L. Mathewson
BBW Heroines
118th out of 282 books — 172 voters

More lists with this book...

A butt-kickin' ex-housemaid spy heroine and a disfigured, but gorgeous hero suffering from brittle self-confidence all wrapped up in Regency espionage. What is there not to like? The use of the Prince Regent as a character is excellent, and he appears as he should -vain, indulged, overweight, impetuous and intelligent, under-appreciated and infectious fun. The plot is fast from the start and the dialog is witty and quick, although some of the language whilst fruity isn't strictly from the period ...more
hiiiiiiiiiiii Colliiiiiis ...more
Lea Bourg'
The fourth book of the Liar's Club with this time the courageous Rose =)
Spy in the making, Rose is in trouble up to the neck. Due to an unfortunate incident, Rose has been entrusted with a task test to determine whether she can become the first Liar woman. Unfortunately, she has to team up with the handsome but arrogant Collis Tremayne with whom she can't help squabbling. But with one folder exchanged, the discovery of a dangerous secret, the charm of Collis and a getaway with Prince George in t
Rose Lacey and Collis Tremayne are fellow trainees for the Liar's Club. The two are at the top of their "class" and are expected to "graduate" shortly.

The rivalry that's brought them so far, is now the only thing keeping them from achieving the goal. The two just can't seem to be able to work together. And they profoundly dislike each other to boot.

To smooth things over, and as punishment for their latest mess, the pair is sent on a test mission. They have to infiltrate a house, find the proof a
Elis Madison
Collis Tremayne is the de-facto heir to Lord Etheridge (Dalton Montmorency in The Impostor). His nemesis is Rose Lacey, who used to be a servant in a traitor's house, and is the first woman to be accepted for training to become a Liar. And the problem is, she's kicking his butt. Anything he can do, she can do better. He has an excuse for some of it—he was injured in the war and one of arms is just dead weight—but what man wants to make excuses for getting his arse kicked by a girl?

After their ri
For some reason I thought I wasn't going to like this book but I did. It has a completely different feel to it than the others in the series.
I love how the prince is an actual complex character not just a flat character on the side it made really fun to read.
I love how both Collis and Rose made like a ton of mistakes (like the secret Rose is keeping, or what Collis accidentally called her on the ship) it made them more relatable and easier to like.
really enjoyed it alot.
The UHQ Nasanta
Erin H
Mar 11, 2013 Erin H rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: rpo
The chemistry between Colin and Rose was instantaneous and I enjoyed every minute of it! I really liked Colin since the first book and was excited to read his story-the author didn’t disappoint. She gave our hero a heroine worthy of his affection and I was pleased that it was someone like Rose. She was such a strong character and dealt well with all the hardships she encountered while being a housemaid. I really liked that she was training to be a spy. She was so good at it and her competition w ...more
I found this slow going at the outset, but it made for a good read as it gained momentum. I pondered the credibility of Collis having such a strong grip in a numb arm, and kept expecting a miraculous recovery, but hmmm... no spoilers, please.
Oct 05, 2015 Cj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
I think I may have read this before. I've definitely read something else in this series. Of course, now I can't remember which ones.
:thud: Hahahahahah! The h's ability to toss the H over her shoulder and onto the floor was vastly entertaining. Too bad we don't have more heroines trained in this fine art. Might teach some humiliation. I did wince though when she did this after he got his arm broken. True, he did grab her from behind.

:ahem. On to the story. The H/h had a rivalry going on, and after a challenge ended in disaster, got sent on a trial run, only that got botched, which lead to a comedy of errors that nearly got th
Après 4 tomes, je peux dire que la série ne m'a pas vraiment convaincue, c'est sympatoche mais sans plus. Je laisse ma place.
Wasn't as good as some of her others.
Serena Holland
I didn't really want to read this, but I sat down and started and was very surprised because it was very good. I enjoyed the humor, and loved that Rose was so determined to make something of herself. The only thing I didn't like was that I thought Rose would continue to work with the inventor, along with being a spy because she is so smart, and would have enjoyed reading all the books. I thought that was hinted in the book, but since it didn't happen I was kind of disappointed but overall very g ...more
I like Collis and Rose, but the whole Liar's Club thing is actually quite silly. I mean, they have top secret documents and stuff in a night club for one, and then everybody knows they are spies? (Rose telling Denny at one point "I am a Liar"!) Come on!!!
The stories would have been MUCH better if the author didn't underestimate the intelligence of her readers and actually wrote something that made sense.
I still give it a 2 stars I liked the characters
I really enjoyed this book in series. I was really looking forward to Collis/Rose story. I did not get disappointed. Lots more action in this book and Prinny has a bit of fun too. I love this book because both Rose and Collis overcome theirs struggles, Rose cos she believes herself to b a lowly housemaid and Collis bcos his injuries from war. I love the ending and HEA for more then 1 character.
Athena Braun
Jul 16, 2010 Athena Braun rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: noone
Okay so I tried to read this.I wanted to like a story about a woman spy. I thought it would be interesting...Well I was wrong.. What is the point of reading a romance story when the male character has a dead arm? Seriously what was the point of including that in the story..Sorry from that point I couldn't get into the story. I stopped reading it...4.99 down the drain
I enjoyed the rivalry and banter between the two characters. Rose is a strong independent character through and through. We also see more of Liverpool's manipulations as the get as convoluted.

it was fun reading this novel after being first introduced to her in The Imposter. Whether I buy the acquiesce in the end is another matter.
their insulting toward each other got on my nerves in the beginning, so i just ingoring it when it continue on in the book. Rose outlooked on the blue-bloods of society is accpetable to a point because not all of the tons is like that. but other than, it was an okay book, one i won't re-read again, unlike the Impostor, but it was good.
Liked the book. Should have read the first in the series first, but found this book fun. About a maid who gets trained to be a spy. The only downside to becoming a spy is Collis Treymane, who really gets under Rose Lacey's skin. Collis is her training partner and like all men of the era feels he's superior to Rose.
Oct 12, 2008 Sam rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
This is the first from Celest Bradley that I have read. It came recommended from various sources on Goodreads, but I found it lacking.
I liked the characters but found myself skimming thru alot of it the story. . . maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind to read it, I found it predicable and a little boring.

Carito Cárdenas guevara
Muy interesante historia q desde el libro anterior lo dejó a uno con ganas de saber q pasaría entre los protagonistas. Collis y Rose son unos espías en ascenso y completamente competitivos entre sí, me encantó su historia y q, al final de cuentas, fuera Rose la q le ganara a Collis
I liked the idea that Rose was a spy. Finally! A girl who can kick a little butt. Collis was a cutie, too.
Still, something was off in this story for me. It was good, don't get me wrong, but I think it could have been better if it just had that extra little 'something' in it.
Des personnages top, une romance trop cute, une Rose qui a la classe, de l'espionnage, un prince régent foufou... J'ai adoré et j'en redemande.
I think I read this book before and completely forgot. Either that, or I am remarkably awesome at guessing plot points. :) A fun addition to the Liar's Club series, I enjoyed the story (apparently, for the second time).
โรส บุคลิกตางจากในตอนเลม 2 พอควรจึงทำใหเราไมคอยเชือวาเธฮจะวิวัฒนาการมาไกลถึงขนาดเปนสายลับได
I just loved Collis! Great sense of humor. Now I have to find the other books in the series! Figures I'd read the 4th one first.
Oh, diese ganzen Spione und Königsentführungen... werde mich wieder Büchern zuwenden, die in der Gegenwart spielen.
23 September 2015: $3.99 on Kindle
I like this series about spys during the Regency period. It's fun.
  • The Spy Wore Silk
  • Only a Duke Will Do (School for Heiresses, #2)
  • The Perfect Waltz (The Merridew Sisters, #2)
  • Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)
  • Beauty and the Spy (Holt Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • Perils of the Heart
  • A Deal With the Devil (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #4)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Simply Scandalous
  • Rules of an Engagement (Adventurers’ Club, #3)
  • Her Only Desire (Spice Trilogy #1)
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Bridal Favors (Bridal Stories, #2)
Celeste Bradley is the author of Fallen, which was nominated for a RITA in 2002, and The Pretender, the first book in the Liars series. According to Bradley, the best thing about writing is that she finally gets to use the brain full of trivia she's collected over a lifetime of living in eight states, residing in over twenty homes, and changing her major five times. "It was research for my writing ...more
More about Celeste Bradley...

Liar's Club (5 books)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • The Impostor (Liar's Club, #2)
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)
The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1) To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1) Desperately Seeking a Duke (Heiress Brides, #1) Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides, #3) The Spy (Liar's Club #3)