Start by marking “Committed to Memory” as Want to Read:
Committed to Memory

Committed to Memory

"Committed to Memory" is a collection of a hundred-and-some poems chosen specifically for memorization and for the particularly intense kind of silent reading with which a reader prepares to remember them. The poems, which embrace a wide variety of genres, structures and patterns, include old favorites and forgotteen gems. Careful choices were made for the pleasure and rew ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Riverhead Trade (first published October 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Committed to Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Committed to Memory

Andy Kline
Mar 15, 2017 Andy Kline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read. Much to contemplate. "The Darkling Thrush" was my favorite.
Paula
Oct 07, 2008 Paula rated it it was amazing
What I like about this book is its emphasis on reading poetry with the correct itonation. Then again, I read Hollander's Sound and Sense, so he really believes in sound being a big part of poetic form.

Anyway, this particular collection is divided into five categories (ranging from "Sonnets" to "Songs" to "Meditations") and include both well-known poets (from Shakespeare to Tennyson to Dickinson to Whitman) and less well-known ones. The focus is on poems that are short enough to memorize (hence
Jill
Feb 27, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection was recommended as a start for appreciating poetry and sharing it with my children. I chose to read it first myself before sharing it with them and, for now, I believe that was wise. Poems to me are more like people - there is much to discover I. Each one and repeated readings of a poem reveal more about the author, the time, the culture and the reader.

I wanted to know the poems or have met each one at least once before introducing them to my family. Strange, I suppose - but poe
Monical
Picked this out from books that I own because my sister's book club is including a "favorite poem" month-- there are some real favorites in this collection, although I miss a few--several Shakespeare sonnets are included, but not my favorite, sonnet 29 "When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes" and includes several that I think are dogs like Kipling's "If" (yuck). Got to revisit a few I hadn't thought of for a while-- Shelly "Ozymandias" and a couple Frost (though not "Stopping by Woods on a ...more
Caroline
Aug 16, 2008 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This physically handsome book has an excellent concept: a selection of poems that are not just wonderful to read, but also ideal for memorization. While some of the memorization is too difficult -- like other reviewers, I think Frost offers better candidates for memorization than "Mending Wall" -- other poems are well suited to committing to memory, like cummings' "anyone lived in a pretty how town;" Hopkins' "Spring and Fall;" and, yes, Lear's "The Owl and the Pussycat." The acts of memorizatio ...more
Danielle
Jan 05, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tidbits
I think I'm a poetry plebian. It seems like the poetry I like most is that which is most appealing to the general public. I like the stuff that has a strong meter, is easy to memorize, and expresses an idea in an out-of-the-ordinary but easy-to-appreciate kind of way. So, this collection was right up my alley. I didn't read it all, but what I did read, I enjoyed. I particularly loved the first piece, simply titled "Sonnet." To me, it encapsulated in a beautiful way two of my favorite things: flo ...more
nicebutnubbly
Jul 04, 2007 nicebutnubbly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Someday, I am going to put together a book like this only MUCH MUCH BETTER. I memorize a lot of poetry, and this book was a dud - lots of classics, but few of them poems one (I) would want to memorize. There are several schools of thought on memorizing poetry - there's what one "should" memorize (HI, western canon), what is "easy" to memorize, and then there's what one might want to memorize because it's amazing. A good book would blend all of these aspects far better than this one does.
Patricia
My poetry project has me reading more poems; I need to read poetry to know what I want to memorize. This has some great suggestions, including "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus. Most people only know the final few lines of this sonnet: "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddle masses yearning to breathe free." It also includes "Casey at the Bat" and other gems, as well as some more obscure ones.
Kathleen
Mar 08, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, poetry, anthology
This is a nice collection of poems. I don't think every one is for everyone-- it's sort of a weird and electic collection, and it would have been nice had Hollander shared his criteria for collection-- but as a whole it's a fun little read. I'd get it out of the library rather than purchasing it, though. NB: most of the poems are best read aloud.
Cindy
Apr 27, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, library-book
This is a very approachable and readable group of poems for someone like me who wants to be in tune with and affected by all the poems but rarely achieves it. Many of my favorite poems and poets are included and indeed I have been persuaded to memorize at least a few loose stanzas. Really lucky to have randomly found this book at the library.
R. C.
Feb 27, 2013 R. C. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just kept thinking, "WHY?" as I was browsing these selections. Why would I want to have THAT poem in my head forever? Sure, these poems are well-known, popular, important, but also they are largely gruesome, depressing, and outmoded. I don't have so much brainspace free that I can afford to put that sort of thing in here alongside the happy classic poems of my culture.
Jackie Rose
Feb 29, 2012 Jackie Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I grabbed it on my way out to sit on the porch with a cup of tea and ended up sitting there for a while, reading poems from this book out loud to myself.

I read poetry frequently and found this to be a great collection. Enjoy!
Margit Sage
Apr 19, 2012 Margit Sage rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Some good poems; some I didn't really care for. I wrote down the names of some poets I'd like to further read. I've never studied poetry, but one of the books I recently read on writing suggested reading it, and I agree it's a good idea, since I like lyrical rhythmic prose and alliteration.
Krista C
Aug 16, 2007 Krista C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The poems are nice and it is wonderful to find a collection that is chosen for its recitative beauty, but I found it to be a pretty stagnant collection with little to offer outside of the standard white, western canon. It left me a little restless, even as I enjoyed the poems it does offer.
Ryan
Mar 26, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of poems short enough to memorize, flawed only by an attempt to give equal space to different poet forms. The collection of poems in the last section, classified as "meditations," far overshadows the earlier parts of the book.
Sara
Jun 22, 2011 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good names, some a little too well used. For Shakespeare and Hopkins, I would have picked other poems. Good Tennyson. Still a good read for those looking to expand their personal index of classical poetry.
Magila
Feb 04, 2012 Magila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection and way to get started into poetry. Yes, some of the poems are abridged. Yes, there is better poetry. However, for what this book is, it is a fairly excellent selection of poetry. Recommend.
Elise
Dec 30, 2011 Elise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool, poetry
This is a really nice introduction to poetry for the true beginner. The poems are reasonably diverse, accessible and familiar enough to not be scarily deeeeeeeeeep and meeeeeeeeeaningful. Some of them are good for memorizing but not all. Viewer discretion is advised. But all are worth reading.
Jessica McCauley
Apr 05, 2012 Jessica McCauley rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Sorry...but I simply do not agree with the choices of poems worth committing to memory. If I wish something to live inside my head and heart, I'd want it to at least be encouraging, challenging, uplifting or even cautionary. The choices here are not my cup of tea...
Amanda
Jan 02, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only one I have actually committed to memory is At The Round Earth's Imagined Corners, but this is a nice collection of poetry. It really is good stuff to read aloud - and a good beginning collection for someone who wants to learn to like poetry.
Thomasin
Some fine, solid poems here, several of which I would indeed like to commit to memory. (For those who complain about the solemnity of the poetry, remember it is a significant and complicated art form providing important political and historical commentary, not just a bunch of rhyming words!)
Kerri
Jul 04, 2014 Kerri rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of poems, a lot of them well-known but also some I had never heard/read before. It has great variety, different types of poetry and a wide range of poets.
John Wharton
I'll be honest; I wasn't able to memorize any of them!
Noelle
Jul 12, 2016 Noelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even if you have no intention of memorizing, I would recommend this little collection for any poetry fan. Classics on classics on classics.
Tina Bembry
Dec 06, 2009 Tina Bembry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing. It features mainly chopped versions of poems - not entire pieces - and includes many for no reason I could see. I'm not quite sure who would like this book...
Ronald
left a lot of my favorites out. disappointing.
Darla
Darla rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Christopher Christiansen
Christopher Christiansen rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Casie Jarvie
Casie Jarvie rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
  • Jimmy Stewart and His Poems
  • The Best Loved Poems of the American People
  • Poems to Read: A New Favorite Poem Project Anthology
  • Close Calls With Nonsense: Reading New Poetry
  • The Erotic Spirit: An Anthology of Poems of Sensuality, Love, and Longing (Shambhala Library)
  • The Making of a Poem: A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms
  • Author Unknown: Tales of a Literary Detective
  • The First Four Books of Poems
  • The Poems
  • Everything I Know I Learned From TV: Philosophy For the Unrepentant Couch Potato
  • Mary Magdalen: Myth and Metaphor