Start by marking “Down Among the Dead Men (Forest Kingdom, #3)” as Want to Read:
Down Among the Dead Men (Forest Kingdom, #3)

Down Among the Dead Men (Forest Kingdom #3)

"Ten years have passed since the Demon War. The Forest's scars are slowly healing, the Darkwood is still and silent, and few demons ever venture out of the endless night. But in a clearing not far from the Darkwood boundary, in a darkness where a sun has never risen and a moon has never shone, an ancient evil stirs in its sleep and dreams foul dreams."

And with those words,
Paperback
Published June 23rd 1994 by Gollancz (first published December 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Down Among the Dead Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down Among the Dead Men

Dirk Grobbelaar
Oct 05, 2010 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, horror
A horror novel in a fantasy setting, this. The plot is as threadbare as they come and I never cared much for any of the characters. Yet, despite its shortcomings, this novel still managed to draw me in. It is a reasonably engaging read, if you're into this kind of thing. The premise is simple: a patrol arrives at a remote border fort to investigate its lack of response to any communication, what they find there is frankly Lovecraftian.

If you've read Phantoms by Dean Koontz, you'll also be noting
HeyT
Nov 01, 2016 HeyT rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I wasn't as in love with this book as I was with the other Forest/Northern Kingdoms books. I think a large part of that is this is definitely more of a horror story and not a fantasy adventure. I enjoyed the different characters and how they were all developed through their fears and pasts but it didn't have quite the same magic as Blue Moon Rising and Blood and Honor. Overall, I did have a good time reading this especially because we get to see the Forest Kingdom ten years on from ...more
Brad
Oct 31, 2016 Brad rated it it was ok
kinda one-dimensional and very linear. It really feels like a mini-novella more than anything. Found myself tuning in and out as the simple 'dungeon raid' story progressed
Wickedshizuku
Feb 01, 2016 Wickedshizuku rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Fantasy fans, Science Fiction fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Goodreads
Shelves: 2013, reviewed, 4-stars
So I'm just skipping along, and then to my everlasting amusement there was a bloody gruesome action scene. Here's an example of how surpised I was when I clearly saw it coming...

GIFSoup

I will warn you now don't read this if you don't want a few spoilers.
Even though this book takes place in the Forest Kingdom. It doesn't have any characters that are in the first books, but a younger generation associated or apprenticed to characters in previous books.Cool factor.
Yes, I miss the older characters
Raj
Nov 13, 2010 Raj rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, horror
A decade ago, the Darkwood rose up and threatened to swallow the Forest Kingdom. It was driven back, but with great loss. Now a fort built on the border of the kingdom has gone silent and a small group of Rangers are sent to investigate, finding an evil more ancient than the demons of the Darkwood.

I didn't really notice the author of this book when I bought it, just caring that it sounded vaguely interested and was the right size to fit into my pocket, but Simon R. Green is known as a horror wri
Shayan Kh
Dec 18, 2015 Shayan Kh rated it liked it
3.4 stars.

What can I say? A short book compared to other books of the series, Down Among the Dead Men is like other works of Green. Gory, but with less action than usual. Most of the book you are in suspense, and you don't know when something is going to happen. That, of course, changes toward the end.
The characters were forgettable in my opinion. None of them were really likable too. But that doesn't matter in a standalone short (relative to the rest of this series) story.
Then again, it was
David
Sep 11, 2011 David rated it it was ok
Essentially a horror novel within a fantasy setting, this is set in the same world as Simon Green's earlier novels "Blue Moon Rising" and "Blood and Honour"; albeit about 10 years on from "Blue Moon Rising", with the odd reference to the events of that (better) book.

It's also pretty much rote stuff: there's nothing really outstanding about this book that would make it stand out from the crowd.
MarsianMan
Feb 15, 2009 MarsianMan rated it it was ok
The story took place over the span of about 2 days. It's just about searching through an abandoned fort and killing something dangerous. I am not sure why, but I was not as drawn in by this book as the others. It felt more appropriate as a novella rather than an actual book.

I would say skip it unless you are a diehard Simon R. Green fan.
Alexander Draganov
Aug 29, 2010 Alexander Draganov rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Simon R. Green. The author masterfully blends fantasy and horror into one excellent, exciting and occasionally bone-chilling novel. I think that he could have used a darker ending, it would have made the book perfect. As it is, it's still, as they say about the "Deathstalker" series by the same author, "bloody funny and extremely bloody". Heartily recommended.
Eugene Van
Apr 23, 2014 Eugene Van rated it liked it
The book is good. I am very upset when I bought it though. I paid the price for a full book and its only 164 pages. Its really just a short story.

The story is excellent as is all of Simon Green's books.
Echo
Oct 12, 2009 Echo rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, especially when I realized the link between it and the Rupert/Julia books. It's nothing very deep, but it's an enjoyable read with characters that are pretty well fleshed out. I like the grittiness of Green's writing.
Kathy
Aug 11, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Simon R Green book I read, after that I picked up Deathstalker and have loved everything he has written since.
Mandy
Dec 15, 2010 Mandy rated it it was ok
Just not memorable. Nice little references to the Forest Kingdom from Blue Moon Rising, but really, there's a reason this is out of print.
Nuranar
Oct 19, 2015 Nuranar rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-2015
Spooky! Similar to the Ghost Finders series, more than Hawk & Fisher, although set in that universe. But quite good, and not too long.
Raja Ram Marni
Raja Ram Marni rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Jamie Davidoff
Jamie Davidoff rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
David Lavender
David Lavender rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Shawn
Shawn rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2013
Djinntwo
Djinntwo rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Rayvern
Rayvern rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2011
Strangerthan
Strangerthan rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2015
Karen Burgers
Karen Burgers rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2011
David Mandeville
David Mandeville rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Stanislav B
Stanislav B rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Christie Maynard
Christie Maynard rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Mark Turner
Mark Turner rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Mintedmoxie
Mintedmoxie rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2011
  • Bones of the Past (Arhel, #2)
  • Calix Stay (Circle of Light, #3)
  • Conversations with the Devil
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • An Enemy Reborn (Realms of Chaos: The Second Book)
  • The Western King (Rune Blade, #2)
  • The Sword of Maiden's Tears (Twelve Treasures, #1)
  • Of Darkness, Light, and Fire
  • Ancient Echoes
  • Eternity Row (Stardoc, #5)
  • The Storm Witch (Dhulyn and Parno, #3)
  • Southern Fire (The Aldabreshin Compass, #1)
  • Dawn (Tales of Noreela, #2)
  • Tersias the Oracle (Wormwood, #2)
  • Destiny (The Blending Enthroned, #3)
  • Spiderlight
  • Fire Caste
  • Scared Stiff: Tales of Sex and Death
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Forest Kingdom (5 books)
  • Blue Moon Rising (Forest Kingdom, #1)
  • Blood and Honor (Forest Kingdom, #2)
  • Beyond the Blue Moon (Hawk and Fisher, #7)
  • Once in a Blue Moon (Hawk & Fisher, #8)