Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Last Trumpet” as Want to Read:
The Last Trumpet
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Preview

The Last Trumpet

by
3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The night the stars fell, we could hear the sounds: that low thump-thump from somewhere in the sky, like the beating of some gigantic heart . . .
In Sylvan County, Virginia, strange sounds often accompany the coming of darkness. They drift among the remote and shadowed hills, mountains, and valleys as if with a purpose . . . cognizant . . . alive. Like an ominous fugue, thi
...more
Paperback, 204 pages
Published August 20th 2000 by Wildside Press (first published August 1st 2000)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Last Trumpet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Trumpet

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 45)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
MB Taylor
I finished reading The Last Trumpet last week. It’s a collection of 13 Lovecraft inspired horror stories. I enjoy good Lovecraftian horror, but the good stuff is hard to find, and the bad stuff can be pretty awful. Sturgeon’s Law says 90% of everything is crap, but The Last Trumpet is most definitely in the other 10%.

The stories are mostly loosely connected by locale (Sylvan County, West Virginia) and share a common background and history, some of which we know about or learn about and some of w
...more
Nancy Oakes
Although this book is only about 200 pages, its contents pack a major wallop. I started this book yesterday afternoon, picked it up again after dinner, and did not stop until I was finished. At a couple of different points I had to put the book down because I had a major case of the willies -- to me, the mark of a good horror story! If a book can give me the creeps and a case of stomach knots from tension, then it's a good one. And that's exactly what I thought of the Last Trumpet. It is a very ...more
Paul Darcy
by Stephen Mark Rainey, published in 2000.

The Last Trumpet is a Lovecraftian derivative collection of short stories wonderfully brought to life by author Stephen Mark Rainey. In the quiet wooded lands of Sylvan County, Virginia something has been stirred, through obscene music, from beyond the confines of our known universe, and that something is bringing death and destruction in its wake.

Sound fun? Well, this collection sure is a great addition to any number of Lovecraftian homage materials fro
...more
Nicholas
Reading any random sampling of his work, you can tell Stephen Mark Rainey has been writing creatively for many moons past and hence has always enjoyed doing so, and it’s to our benefits as fans of horror fiction that he’s penned an impressive body of work over that stretch of time devoted to dark writings. His execution is scholarly, expertly edited and professionally exhibited, and his prose flows with a kicked- back down-home kind of voice which makes you forget how proper and polished it is, ...more
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Piotr Szczęsny
Piotr Szczęsny marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Kurt
Kurt added it
Dec 18, 2013
Ah
Ah marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Magnus
Magnus marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Tehuti88
Tehuti88 marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Justin Steele
Justin Steele marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Ashley Davis
Ashley Davis marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2012
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2012
Susan Maldrie
Susan Maldrie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2012
Merryweather
Merryweather marked it as to-read
May 24, 2012
« previous 1 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
90414
Stephen Mark Rainey is author of the novels THE LEBO COVEN, BALAK, DARK SHADOWS: DREAMS OF THE DARK (with Elizabeth Massie), BLUE DEVIL ISLAND, THE NIGHTMARE FRONTIER, and THE MONARCHS; five short story collections; and over 100 published works of short fiction, which may be found in magazines and anthologies such as CEMETERY DANCE, THE BEST OF CEMETERY DANCE, DARK WISDOM, DARK DISCOVERIES, INHUMA ...more
More about Stephen Mark Rainey...
Dreams of the Dark Blue Devil Island (Five Star Science Fiction and Fantasy Series) Balak Other Gods The Nightmare Frontier

Share This Book