Start by marking “The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #1)

The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,517 ratings  ·  104 reviews
A mystery as old as the desert sands...

When teenagers Jay and Lila Cooper and their archaeologist father travel to Nepur, an uninviting land of deserts and danger, they must search to uncover the truth behind an ancient legend. Locals claim that inside a dark cavern called the Dragon's Throat is a forbidden Door that brings certain death to anyone who tries to open it.

Arme
Published July 14th 2004 by Crossway (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Door in the Dragon's Throat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door in the Dragon's Throat

The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Sci-Fi/Fantasy
74th out of 314 books — 414 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Merchant's Daughter by Melanie DickersonCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenTorrent by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Clean teen fiction (Christian)
203rd out of 497 books — 549 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason
I am reading this book to my son as he is not quite old enough to read it on his own. I picked it up specifically for he and I to do together as good father-son time...and I had read some of Peretti on my own and really enjoyed it.
This was a great book for the pre-teen and early teen set. I think that finding an author who can tell a story and interest the kids while also keeping characters biblically minded might be difficult, but Peretti did a great job of it. He pulled up just a few scripture
Philip
Mar 28, 2009 Philip rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I loved it in the fourth grade...
I loved this series as a kid, but it lacked something this time around. I don't know if it was too trite or what.

I imagine that, for me, rereading this as an adult was like what rereading The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe would be for a non-believer. "Wow, that's WAY more over the top than I remember." That's not to say, I didn't pick up on the Christian themes as a kid. I did. It's just that with a deeper theological background now, some of the dialogue in the book seems a little forced.

It wa
Hannah
I liked the faith in God and emphasis that Jesus is more powerful than anything else. However, I am uncomfortable with the character's using Jesus' name like a powerful amulet to ward off danger.

While the tie-in to a certain passage of Scripture was intriguing, I don't think how it is interpreted by the story's plot matches the rest of Scripture.

Which brings me to the main thing that left me dissatisfied:(view spoiler)
Lexi Koop
The Door in the Dragon's Throat by Frank E. Peretti is a great book! If you love action, adventure, mystery and Christian fiction, this is a perfect book for you to read.
This book is about two siblings, Jay and Lila Cooper, and their father Jake Cooper. Their father is an archaeologist who brings his kids on all of his adventures because, he doesn't want to leave them for a long time. His kids get to learn new skills and travel to new places, wouldn't that be fun? Yes, unless your life is in da
Jessica
i nearly peed my self with terror when i read this book. Granted i was like 11 but still it was really good. i was reading under my blankets with a flashlight when some household pet made a noise i jumped so high i nearly nocked my brother out of the top bunk and i threw the book across the room. it went out the door and crashed into the bookshelf in the hall. It was great!
Ashley
I thought it was a little confusing.
If I re-read it, it'll prolly make more sense.
Other than that, it's good.
Melanie
I liked it! It was a christian book that my mom bought for me... It was a little scary. But, God won :)
Jay and Lila Cooper are excited to be off on another adventure with their father, a famous archaeologist. Their current project? Exploring a mysterious cavern called ‘The Dragon’s Throat’! Located in a Middle Eastern nation named Nepur, legend has it that no one can approach The Dragon’s Throat without death or ill luck dogging them. But Nepur’s President, Al-Dallam, refuses to be subdued by these threats – he will know what is hidden in that cave!

The Coopers are skeptical of the superstitious s
Zari
Closer and closer they came, their faces illuminated with the fiery red light, their hands tightly gripping the bucking jeep. At last the jeep bounded into the forbidden circle and races to the camp at the edge of the pit, skidding sideways in a cloud of firelit dust. They piled out onto the quaking ground and crouched behind the jeep for protection. It was like standing at the edge of an erupting volcano. ~ Excerpt from The Door in the Dragon's Throat

This summer I'm reading the books my son (12
I re-read this yesterday because I want to write books much in this style (Christian adventure fiction) to the same age group (10-14yrs). Yesterday I parked on my couch with my children's writing notebook and "The Door in the Dragon's Throat" scribbling notes like a mad woman. It was fantastic. I want to re-read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" next and then "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" with notebook in hand.

Any books in the young adult 10-14yr range you'd suggest?

In this, Peret
Heather
The Cooper Kids Adventure Series, of which The Door in the Dragon's Throat is the first book, features Jay and Lila Cooper, teenage siblings who have adventures with their archaeologist father. In the first volume, the three travel with a small team to the fictional Middle Eastern country of Nepur. There, they investigate the Dragon's Throat, a mysterious cavern containing a huge door made out of indestructible metal. Some think that a magnificent treasure is behind the door, but as the Coopers ...more
Jason
Cole Eckholm
Jay and Lila Cooper travel to Nepur with their archaeologist father to uncover the truth behind an ancient legend. The people of Nepur fear a dark cavern called the Dragon’s Throat. Deep under the earth the Coopers discover a bronze door that is said to bring death to any who tries to open it.

I totally disliked this book. It was really boring and I could not find the concept of why they would go through the door. Of course, it was kind of expexcted that they would live though because since the
V.K. Finnish
I owned this series as a kid and read all four books numerous times.

The Door in the Dragon's Throat is the first book of The Cooper Kids Adventure Series. It's about 14-year-old Jay Cooper and his thirteen-year-old sister Lila who have traveled with their archaeologist dad to a desert country in order to investigate a mysterious pit that no other archaeological team has yet been able to conquer. Their adventure is full of danger, constant action, and a twist in their discoveries that brings a s
Shannah Catalano
This book scared the crap out of me when I was young. Frank Peretti is a suspense author and his kids/young adult books are no different.

But it was an AMAZING book. The entire series is incredible and this first book does a great job of introducing you to the characters. Actually it's not so much a polite "introduction" as much the book hurls you at them and you hang onto their coattails for dear life while being dragged through an Indiana Jones style adventure.

Now these were published long be
Jill Williamson

But the Coopers are not afraid of any legend. They study the door, try to open it, and go on a mysterious and dangerous hunt for a special key. Is there really a massive treasure behind the Door in the Dra
E. Writes
Fast paced adventure, the Door in the Dragon's Throat was my introduction to Peretti's works... and left me definitely looking forward to reading more! A fun, exciting read that toys with the idea of Biblical precepts in a fictional "real world" scenario.
Union Jack
This book is definetly a keeper and I consider people to read it. If you were with your father in a very deadly cave what would you have done if you were stuck in there for days no weeks no months it will have you on the edge of your seat!!!
"The Door in the Dragon's Throat" has nothing morally wrong. I could see how some people could enjoy this novel, and I would not call it the worst book of all time. However there were a few drawbacks.
The reasons for the 1-star rating began with the superstition which is so often brought up (which I saw as ways to remind the reader of the danger; an attempt to keep up the suspense).
In the climax, there was plenty of suspense, but there was at one point, I felt that it was just trying to keep th
Sally Peterson
I read this to my 9 year old son who loves stories but does not love to read. It was exciting and we couldn't wait to find out what happens next. It did get a little scary towards the end but I thought bit was fine for my 9 year old.
Shantelle Mary
I guess I felt this book was just kind of weird. I definitely believe there is a spiritual world, and angels and demons, and all that; but not really in the sense this book was portraying it. I mean, I don't think we actually physically fight demons, or that they are holed up somewhere and could get loose. Being a child of Christ protects of from demons' harm.

I don't know. I think we need to know a certain amount about the spiritual world, but maybe not read frightening stories about demons tryi
Ruth
I read this entire series when I was a kid and really remember loving each book, but I re-read this with my nephew and the old magic's not there any more.
Melissa
I read this when I was in elementary school and really liked it. Not brilliantly written, but it raises some interesting questions.
Eliza
It was fine. I found it a little predictable and juvenile probably because of my age. But children might like it better.
Volkert
Christian juvenile fiction (fantasy). Book 1 of the Cooper Kids Adventures - in the style of Indiana Jones - the Coopers go on a search for treasures in the Middle East, only to be encountered by superstition, opposition and evil forces. This type of fiction is not really my style, and its portrayal of Christianity is not based on day-to-day reality, but more on the calling for the Lord's power to overcome evil powers. Still the book builds to its climactic finale.
Karen Trofka
This book had lots of action, mystery, and suspense, but I wish there was more to the characters.
Rebekah Ratliff
I love these books! I did when I was a teenager and I do now! I read it in a day!!
Amanda
I found this series again while unpacking my books and just had to read them. They're great little adventures, perfect for their target audience (I first read them in middle school).
Lucas Martin-flores
I regret spending two dollars on this for class book.
Kelly José
I remember loving this book, as well as the other three (I think it was three) in the series. Frank Peretti is a great author, and I think some adult fans might be surprised at how good he is when targeting young readers with some of his books. I believe I read these in fourth grade, was it? My school pushed reading so much in elementary, and when a friend of mine recommended the books, I all but had a heart attack with excitement. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole book, and the ...more
  • Mandie and the Cherokee Legend (Mandie, #2)
  • My Life as a Smashed Burrito (The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle, #1)
  • The Gates of Neptune (Seven Sleepers, #2)
  • Too Many Secrets (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #1)
  • The Hidden Jewel
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg
More about Frank E. Peretti...

The Cooper Kids Adventures (8 books)
  • Escape from the Island of Aquarius (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #2)
  • The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #3)
  • Trapped at the Bottom of the Sea (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #4)
  • The Secret of the Desert Stone (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #5)
  • The Deadly Curse of Toco-Rey (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #6)
  • The Legend of Annie Murphy (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #7)
  • Flying Blind (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #8)
This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1) Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2) The Oath House Monster