Start by marking “The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #1)

The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,194 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
A mystery as old as the desert sands...

When teenagers Jay and Lila Cooper and their archaeologist father travel to Nepur, an uninviting land of deserts and danger, they must search to uncover the truth behind an ancient legend. Locals claim that inside a dark cavern called the Dragon's Throat is a forbidden Door that brings certain death to anyone who tries to open it.

Arme
Published July 14th 2004 by Crossway (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Door in the Dragon's Throat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door in the Dragon's Throat

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Sci-Fi/Fantasy
80th out of 350 books — 468 voters
The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonThe Captive Maiden by Melanie DickersonWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenFirst Date by Krista McGeeThe Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson
Best Christian Teen Fiction
26th out of 240 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason
Jul 12, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it
I am reading this book to my son as he is not quite old enough to read it on his own. I picked it up specifically for he and I to do together as good father-son time...and I had read some of Peretti on my own and really enjoyed it.
This was a great book for the pre-teen and early teen set. I think that finding an author who can tell a story and interest the kids while also keeping characters biblically minded might be difficult, but Peretti did a great job of it. He pulled up just a few scripture
Jessica
Dec 11, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
i nearly peed my self with terror when i read this book. Granted i was like 11 but still it was really good. i was reading under my blankets with a flashlight when some household pet made a noise i jumped so high i nearly nocked my brother out of the top bunk and i threw the book across the room. it went out the door and crashed into the bookshelf in the hall. It was great!
Philip
Mar 28, 2009 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I loved it in the fourth grade...
I loved this series as a kid, but it lacked something this time around. I don't know if it was too trite or what.

I imagine that, for me, rereading this as an adult was like what rereading The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe would be for a non-believer. "Wow, that's WAY more over the top than I remember." That's not to say, I didn't pick up on the Christian themes as a kid. I did. It's just that with a deeper theological background now, some of the dialogue in the book seems a little forced.

It wa
Shantelle
I guess I felt this book was just kind of weird. I definitely believe there is a spiritual world, and angels and demons, and all that; but not really in the sense this book was portraying it. I mean, I don't think we actually physically fight demons, or that they are holed up somewhere and could get loose. Being a child of Christ protects of from demons' harm.

I don't know. I think we need to know a certain amount about the spiritual world, but maybe not read frightening stories about demons tryi
Ed
Oct 30, 2015 Ed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, teens
Heroes are Christians written mainly for teenagers. Story displays God's power versus Satan's power. Good storyline to keep readers on edge of what is going to happen next.
Hannah
I liked the faith in God and emphasis that Jesus is more powerful than anything else. However, I am uncomfortable with the character's using Jesus' name like a powerful amulet to ward off danger.

While the tie-in to a certain passage of Scripture was intriguing, I don't think how it is interpreted by the story's plot matches the rest of Scripture.

Which brings me to the main thing that left me dissatisfied:(view spoiler)
Heather
The Cooper Kids Adventure Series, of which The Door in the Dragon's Throat is the first book, features Jay and Lila Cooper, teenage siblings who have adventures with their archaeologist father. In the first volume, the three travel with a small team to the fictional Middle Eastern country of Nepur. There, they investigate the Dragon's Throat, a mysterious cavern containing a huge door made out of indestructible metal. Some think that a magnificent treasure is behind the door, but as the Coopers ...more
Lexi Koop
Nov 28, 2013 Lexi Koop rated it it was amazing
The Door in the Dragon's Throat by Frank E. Peretti is a great book! If you love action, adventure, mystery and Christian fiction, this is a perfect book for you to read.
This book is about two siblings, Jay and Lila Cooper, and their father Jake Cooper. Their father is an archaeologist who brings his kids on all of his adventures because, he doesn't want to leave them for a long time. His kids get to learn new skills and travel to new places, wouldn't that be fun? Yes, unless your life is in da
Erin
May 05, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Liked it fast read interesting take on bible
Kirsten Simkiss
May 20, 2016 Kirsten Simkiss rated it did not like it
This book really does deserve one star – two, maybe, at a push. I would not recommend this book to anyone.

The Door in the Dragon’s Throat is a story surrounding the Cooper family and their colleagues in the pursuit of biblical archaeological finds. In this case, it takes place in the fictional middle eastern country of Nepur, run by a greedy oil mogul who is also the president of the nation. He hired them to come there and explore this anomaly in his nation that had claimed the lives of more tha
Ashley
Nov 01, 2007 Ashley rated it liked it
I thought it was a little confusing.
If I re-read it, it'll prolly make more sense.
Other than that, it's good.
Melanie
Feb 03, 2010 Melanie rated it really liked it
I liked it! It was a christian book that my mom bought for me... It was a little scary. But, God won :)
Karen GoatKeeper
Mar 02, 2016 Karen GoatKeeper rated it did not like it
A children's book according to the advice I've seen is supposed to "show not tell" and not be preachy. This book violates both of these especially the second.
The father is supposed to be a scientist. He is a preacher pretending to be a scientist. And his science leaves much to be desired.
The plot is a take off from Revelations. It has some good action sequences but they can not save what is a totally unbelievable plot.
Religion is fine. Shoved down the throat religion is not. I did not enjoy this
Laura Verret
Jay and Lila Cooper are excited to be off on another adventure with their father, a famous archaeologist. Their current project? Exploring a mysterious cavern called ‘The Dragon’s Throat’! Located in a Middle Eastern nation named Nepur, legend has it that no one can approach The Dragon’s Throat without death or ill luck dogging them. But Nepur’s President, Al-Dallam, refuses to be subdued by these threats – he will know what is hidden in that cave!

The Coopers are skeptical of the superstitious s
Zari
Jun 11, 2014 Zari rated it it was amazing
Closer and closer they came, their faces illuminated with the fiery red light, their hands tightly gripping the bucking jeep. At last the jeep bounded into the forbidden circle and races to the camp at the edge of the pit, skidding sideways in a cloud of firelit dust. They piled out onto the quaking ground and crouched behind the jeep for protection. It was like standing at the edge of an erupting volcano. ~ Excerpt from The Door in the Dragon's Throat

This summer I'm reading the books my son (12
May 13, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, re-read
I re-read this yesterday because I want to write books much in this style (Christian adventure fiction) to the same age group (10-14yrs). Yesterday I parked on my couch with my children's writing notebook and "The Door in the Dragon's Throat" scribbling notes like a mad woman. It was fantastic. I want to re-read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" next and then "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" with notebook in hand.

Any books in the young adult 10-14yr range you'd suggest?

In this, Peret
Jason
May 07, 2015 Jason rated it liked it
Cole Eckholm
Feb 17, 2012 Cole Eckholm rated it it was ok
Jay and Lila Cooper travel to Nepur with their archaeologist father to uncover the truth behind an ancient legend. The people of Nepur fear a dark cavern called the Dragon’s Throat. Deep under the earth the Coopers discover a bronze door that is said to bring death to any who tries to open it.

I totally disliked this book. It was really boring and I could not find the concept of why they would go through the door. Of course, it was kind of expexcted that they would live though because since the
V.K. Finnish
I owned this series as a kid and read all four books numerous times.

The Door in the Dragon's Throat is the first book of The Cooper Kids Adventure Series. It's about 14-year-old Jay Cooper and his thirteen-year-old sister Lila who have traveled with their archaeologist dad to a desert country in order to investigate a mysterious pit that no other archaeological team has yet been able to conquer. Their adventure is full of danger, constant action, and a twist in their discoveries that brings a s
Soe Persona
Jun 03, 2016 Soe Persona rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
really wonderful book. I would recommend for my christian friends or just any friends that are interested in knowing more about our God. Even though the level is young reader, anyone can still read it and find the wonderful story written in this book. I have no regret in any reason why I read this book. I tell you what! It help me see God even in a brighter light than before and I know that I have some doubt but, over all. This book help me restore my bond with God and confirm that everything I ...more
Shannah Catalano
Sep 03, 2013 Shannah Catalano rated it it was amazing
This book scared the crap out of me when I was young. Frank Peretti is a suspense author and his kids/young adult books are no different.

But it was an AMAZING book. The entire series is incredible and this first book does a great job of introducing you to the characters. Actually it's not so much a polite "introduction" as much the book hurls you at them and you hang onto their coattails for dear life while being dragged through an Indiana Jones style adventure.

Now these were published long be
Jennifer Heise
Jun 08, 2016 Jennifer Heise rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction, kids
I had no idea this was a specifically-Christian kid's thriller/mystery until I picked it up. Ok, the plot is pretty straightforward, the characters flat cut-outs, and it would have made a better TV show, but the plotting was at least as good as the average Scholastic Book Club book of my childhood. There was a creepy conversion scene with a person from this imaginary muslim/african country at one point, but other than that, inoffensive.
Athelas Hale
Apr 18, 2015 Athelas Hale rated it really liked it
This was one of the stories that I read several years ago, and recently decided to reread. It was quite as good as I remembered it - though it was in different ways. I noticed the writing more this time through, but I also caught things in the story that I never knew before. I love his non-assuming way of writing about things relating to the end times. If you enjoy archaeology/spiritual warfare/shortish stories, you'll probably enjoy this.
Susan
Mar 11, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: slmta
The writing is full of cliches and inconsistencies: a desert setting, a greedy king and his sly aide, a cavern in the earth where the forces of good and evil are fighting for control, an archaeologist who brandishes a gun as readily as he prays to God. The dialogue is stilted, and the vocabulary is too difficult for struggling readers who might overlook the poor characterization and heavily imposed theme of Christian belief.
Ilga
Feb 18, 2016 Ilga rated it did not like it
This is one time where picking up a book without doing any research into it backfired. It started out as a good family archeological adventure book. Kind of like Indiana Jones with his kids. But not too far in we learn that the reason this family is succeeding in accessing the treasure when so many others have died in attempts to do the same, is that their God is better. It goes down hill from there.
Jill Williamson
Jan 12, 2009 Jill Williamson rated it it was amazing

But the Coopers are not afraid of any legend. They study the door, try to open it, and go on a mysterious and dangerous hunt for a special key. Is there really a massive treasure behind the Door in the Dra
Union Jack
Jul 05, 2014 Union Jack rated it really liked it
This book is definetly a keeper and I consider people to read it. If you were with your father in a very deadly cave what would you have done if you were stuck in there for days no weeks no months it will have you on the edge of your seat!!!
Sep 01, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it
"The Door in the Dragon's Throat" has nothing morally wrong. I could see how some people could enjoy this novel, and I would not call it the worst book of all time. However there were a few drawbacks.
The reasons for the 1-star rating began with the superstition which is so often brought up (which I saw as ways to remind the reader of the danger; an attempt to keep up the suspense).
In the climax, there was plenty of suspense, but there was at one point, I felt that it was just trying to keep th
Sally Peterson
Aug 12, 2014 Sally Peterson rated it really liked it
I read this to my 9 year old son who loves stories but does not love to read. It was exciting and we couldn't wait to find out what happens next. It did get a little scary towards the end but I thought bit was fine for my 9 year old.
Evansmom
AR BOOK 5.3/6.0

My son and I loved this book and loved that it was a Christian book. Filled with action and suspense, it kept us on our toes. Makes you grateful to have Jesus in your life. Short story and a fast read.
  • My Life as a Smashed Burrito (The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle, #1)
  • The Sword of Camelot (Seven Sleepers, #3)
  • Mandie and the Cherokee Legend (Mandie, #2)
  • Too Many Secrets (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #1)
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg
More about Frank E. Peretti...

The Cooper Kids Adventures (8 books)
  • Escape from the Island of Aquarius (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #2)
  • The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #3)
  • Trapped at the Bottom of the Sea (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #4)
  • The Secret of the Desert Stone (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #5)
  • The Deadly Curse of Toco-Rey (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #6)
  • The Legend of Annie Murphy (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #7)
  • Flying Blind (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #8)