Start by marking “Just Between Us” as Want to Read:
Just Between Us

Just Between Us

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,944 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
The Miller sisters couldn't be more different and yet despite their differences, their sisterly bond becomes vital when the women are faced with the complexities of life - coping with relationships, careers and families.
Published September 13th 2012 by HarperTorch (first published October 7th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Just Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Between Us

Tea Jovanović
Keti je divna irska autorka koja se može smatrati naslednicom Mev Binči... Tople životne, ljubavne i porodične priče... Ono što ja zovem A klasom komercijalne književnosti za žensku populaciju...
Margaret
Irish author Cathy Kelly is my summer palate-cleanser this year, just the thing to clear your head after a dense or demanding read elsewhere. Her novels have something of the same comfortable, low-stress quality as Maeve Binchy and Rosamund Pilcher’s, so they don’t require a lot of effort in the reading, but her voice is hipper and funnier, and that contemporary energy keeps her stories from sinking into the treacle of sentimentality that can so easily plague this kind of essentially cozy “chick ...more
Dot
May 19, 2014 Dot rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I was reading the first draft of this book. It needed serious editing - there was way too much unnecessary detail (the book is over 500 pages) & so many spelling & grammar mistakes that at times made it very difficult to read. The characters didn't have enough dimensions & the story was very predictable. I would not recommend this book to a friend (unless I wanted to punish them)!
Amanda
Sep 24, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why I decided to read this book: I decided to read this book because just recently I had for the first time experienced the wonders of Cathy Kelly in the form of her book, Best of friends, and was eager to discover if her other books were as good as her first. I was not disappointed.

The categories this book fills are 'a book with a female main character' and "Diaries".

Everyone is jealous of the Miller girls, successful lawyer and single mom, Stella, witty TV writer, Tara, dreamy artistic Holly a
Laurel-Rain
Jan 10, 2010 Laurel-Rain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cathy Kelly's "Just Between Us" is a richly textured tale of a "perfect" family that begins to slowly reveal itself as one with all the ordinary flaws and foibles that plague most people; it is this probing beneath the surface that yields a peek into the intriguing aspects of each of the primary characters.

As the story begins, Rose and Hugh Miller are approaching their fortieth anniversary, and as the celebratory moment nears, we learn more about the two of them; Rose uncovers a secret, and whil
Kristy Trauzzi
Nov 10, 2009 Kristy Trauzzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sappy girls at heart :)
Colleen Honey
Nicky Mottram
Jan 06, 2017 Nicky Mottram rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-lit
Just couldn't get into this book, very slow and no story line
Lynda Kelly
Apr 10, 2010 Lynda Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently I'd read this already. Little bits seemed familiar....I have it marked down I have it in paperback but can't find it on my shelves even though I've others by her I kept in my paper-book purge when I moved.
I enjoyed it as I always like her stories-it WAS a great story but as with all e-versions it was chock-full of silly mistakes. It wears me down but especially with a bestselling author under the Harper Collins umbrella. I'd expect a lot better. It really isn't good enough. And that i
Kim
Apr 12, 2009 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I really hope this shelf stays small because I try very hard to finish every book I start.

I just could not finish Just Between Us. It was very poorly written, childish almost. It tried very hard to be descriptive but the amount of detail was so overwhelming it would make me feel dizzy at times. It would have been fine with so much less detail. Every character was introduced in one big run on paragraph rather than Kelly slowly introducing them throughout the book. There was so much time spent de
Alexandra Bogdanovic
This was a delightful, entertaining read. The author successfully tackled some weighty issues, largely by making all of the characters so authentic. That being stated, she said in the introduction that she was tempted at one point in the writing process to rush to a happy conclusion and wrap up everything up with a nice little bow. Although the book was more than 500 pages long, I couldn't help feeling as if that is exactly what she did.
Without giving too much away, I will say that I felt the en
Lana
Feb 19, 2011 Lana added it
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
This is chick-lit for a slightly older crowd. The women and their problems were reasonably interesting. I found Holly's story the most entertaining, however her tale is the most chick-lity of the bunch, so maybe that is why.

There were a few things I didn't like, for example the author kept using the turn of phrase "the idea of". i.e. one of the women is worried that her new boyfriend's kids won't like the idea of her. And this phrase is used ALOT. Also all the women, though family, are really d
Rhoda
Jun 23, 2011 Rhoda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would actually give this book 2.5 if I could. As far as chick lit books go this is pretty standard. (I'm not a massive fan and am looking forward to getting through the ones that I stupidly bought on recommendation and get rid of them!). The story was ok but very predictable - probably Holly's story was the most engaging. The book was very long and dragged on. The reason I've given it two stars instead of 3 was that this particular edition had appalling editing! Incorrect use of too and to, an ...more
Leanne Hunt
Jun 11, 2014 Leanne Hunt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I kept thinking something was going to happen in this book, but after getting halfway through and still feeling as if there was no actual crisis or problem to solve, I gave up. Each of the four women in the story have challenges, it is true, but they are so gently dealt with and so padded up with mildly amusing though not captivating conversations that they scarcely seemed to count. For a novel to be gripping, there must be a constant threat of things falling apart. When the reader has to really ...more
Gill
Jan 02, 2014 Gill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After the first chapter I thought I would be putting it down because the writing was so bad. Instead of developing the characters and letting events and their actions flesh them out she describes each one as they appear. My daughter-in-law said she was trying to be Marianne Keyes and she is so very not and I have to agree. However, I was reading it for Book Club so I soldiered on. The book began to have a strange hold over me and, despite its length, I ended up reading it very nearly at a sittin ...more
Author Stephanie McDonald
Carolyn Hill
Enjoyed this Irish tale of family, love, marriage, and relationships. Likable characters in believable situations (though the perfect careers of two of the sisters was a little less so). I felt that the mother's melodramatic action at the ruby anniversary party was way out of character, and would have preferred seeing more inner conflict about her decision and how it would affect others. As a plot device, I found it annoying. This book was too long, but nevertheless enjoyable as a light read.
Elizabeth
Feb 21, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little torn about how I feel about this book. I was very drawn into each character's story, but at the same time, some of the emotions and dilemmas did not seem like they had enough support--others seemed to be left hanging. One of the the major conflicts for a character did not even seem to be nearly as big of a deal as some of the others, which bothered me, and there was a backstory that seemed to come and go as needed. Again, I really did enjoy this book, and had difficulty putting it ...more
Sep 03, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Really enjoyed reading about the Miller women. I could relate to all 4 women in some way. They were all doing their best to make their lives work.

Hearing from each woman's point of view gave the reader 4 stories wrapped up into one. I also appreciated the brief glimpses into the minds of the people each woman was having difficulties with. For instance, when we see a bit of how Jenna is actually feeling about Stella and her father. It gives the reader perspective.

I loved Cathy Kelly's writing sty
Cláudia
3,5

This is the first Cathy Kelly book I read and now I wonder what took me so long?! Even when I had a few friends constantly telling me that I should try her. As one of these friends said, it reminded me of Maeve Binchy in her good days.
Four different women with different lifes and problems, everything seems real and we are just transported to their day to day. It wasn't a difficult read, quite by the contrary, but 634 pages seem a bit too long...
More Cathy Kellys will follow, that's for sure!
Raneem
Apr 14, 2015 Raneem rated it really liked it
to read more than 600 pages and dont feel a slightest boredom this is surely good book.... i was a little intimidated by some bad reviews at first but i surely enjoyed every bit of it.. i had hard time thinking which one of the millér girls i like best and after thinking i think maybe its holly ... i like happy endings and i liked that although the ending was happy but there was a streak of reality in it
Samantha

A great story of a family with ''real' family issues. Lots of twists and turns, however predictable they might have been. Great story with a wonderful ending. I connected with Tara more than any of the girls, for personal reasons. It took awhile for me to get into the story, but once I did I couldn't put it down
Julie
Sep 23, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I really enjoyed this heart-warming and uplifting tale by Irish writer Cathy Kelly. I could identify with the characters, and I cared about what happened to them. The themes and ideas that were explored were issues that I could relate to - family ups and downs. I would recommend this book for a gentle and engaging read.
Kim
Feb 20, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book as an afterthought on a buy one, get one free table at a bookstore. It turned into one of my favorite books of all times. Three sisters and how they relate to each other, keep things from each other, and realize how they need each other more than anything. It is an excellent book!!
Abigail
Aug 03, 2008 Abigail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is definitely too long, but I still had a lot of fun reading it. The storylines of the several characters are interwoven enough that it definitely reads like one novel (not a few thrown together). The ending could be called pat, but I have a high tolerance for that -- and it has just enough realism that you don't get annoyed.
Beth
Sep 03, 2008 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chick-lit. The characters were a leeeeetle flat, but ultimately likeable. I found quite a bit of the plot to be melodramatic, but I got exactly what I expected out of this book, which was a brainless, comfy read, perfect for distracting me from thinking about MY problems.
Lisa Ahronian
Apr 03, 2013 Lisa Ahronian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. Though I found the plot just a tad predictable, I liked the characters and really cared about what was going to happen to them. I think I may try to find another book by Cathy Kelly now.
Nathalie
Mar 02, 2012 Nathalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book, only the second I think that I've read by Cathy Kelly. It took me a bit of time again to get into the story and to understand and get behind the characters, but once I did, I was hooked!
LInda L
A story of 3 sisters and their families, including their parents. Typical romance drama -- all is well, all goes wrong, all is well again. And it took over 500 pages to do that!! OK, but not great.
Colleen
Story of three adult sisters, and their mother, who appear at first to be leading perfect lives but ultimately confide their problems with one another. Anyone who likes Maeve Binchy would like this one. Not quite as good as her’s, but certainly a pleasant enough read.
  • Promises, Promises
  • He's Got to Go
  • Changing Grooms
  • Single en Sexy
  • Geknipt voor jou
  • It Had to Be You
Born in Belfast but raised in Dublin, Cathy initially worked for thirteen years as a newspaper journalist with a national Irish Sunday newspaper, where she worked in news, features, along with spending time as an agony aunt and the paper’s film critic. However, her overwhelming love was always fiction and she published her first international bestseller, Woman To Woman, in 1997. She did not become ...more
More about Cathy Kelly...