Start by marking “Just Between Us” as Want to Read:
Just Between Us

Just Between Us

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,233 ratings  ·  70 reviews
The Miller sisters couldn't be more different and yet despite their differences, their sisterly bond becomes vital when the women are faced with the complexities of life - coping with relationships, careers and families.
Published September 13th 2012 by HarperTorch (first published October 7th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Just Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Between Us

Tea Jovanović
Keti je divna irska autorka koja se može smatrati naslednicom Mev Binči... Tople životne, ljubavne i porodične priče... Ono što ja zovem A klasom komercijalne književnosti za žensku populaciju...
Margaret
Irish author Cathy Kelly is my summer palate-cleanser this year, just the thing to clear your head after a dense or demanding read elsewhere. Her novels have something of the same comfortable, low-stress quality as Maeve Binchy and Rosamund Pilcher’s, so they don’t require a lot of effort in the reading, but her voice is hipper and funnier, and that contemporary energy keeps her stories from sinking into the treacle of sentimentality that can so easily plague this kind of essentially cozy “chick ...more
Kristy Trauzzi
Nov 16, 2009 Kristy Trauzzi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sappy girls at heart :)
Laurel-Rain
Cathy Kelly's "Just Between Us" is a richly textured tale of a "perfect" family that begins to slowly reveal itself as one with all the ordinary flaws and foibles that plague most people; it is this probing beneath the surface that yields a peek into the intriguing aspects of each of the primary characters.

As the story begins, Rose and Hugh Miller are approaching their fortieth anniversary, and as the celebratory moment nears, we learn more about the two of them; Rose uncovers a secret, and whil
Amanda
Why I decided to read this book: I decided to read this book because just recently I had for the first time experienced the wonders of Cathy Kelly in the form of her book, Best of friends, and was eager to discover if her other books were as good as her first. I was not disappointed.

The categories this book fills are 'a book with a female main character' and "Diaries".

Everyone is jealous of the Miller girls, successful lawyer and single mom, Stella, witty TV writer, Tara, dreamy artistic Holly a
Dot
I felt like I was reading the first draft of this book. It needed serious editing - there was way too much unnecessary detail (the book is over 500 pages) & so many spelling & grammar mistakes that at times made it very difficult to read. The characters didn't have enough dimensions & the story was very predictable. I would not recommend this book to a friend (unless I wanted to punish them)!
Colleen Honey
Alexandra Bogdanovic
This was a delightful, entertaining read. The author successfully tackled some weighty issues, largely by making all of the characters so authentic. That being stated, she said in the introduction that she was tempted at one point in the writing process to rush to a happy conclusion and wrap up everything up with a nice little bow. Although the book was more than 500 pages long, I couldn't help feeling as if that is exactly what she did.
Without giving too much away, I will say that I felt the en
Leanne Hunt
I kept thinking something was going to happen in this book, but after getting halfway through and still feeling as if there was no actual crisis or problem to solve, I gave up. Each of the four women in the story have challenges, it is true, but they are so gently dealt with and so padded up with mildly amusing though not captivating conversations that they scarcely seemed to count. For a novel to be gripping, there must be a constant threat of things falling apart. When the reader has to really ...more
Lynda Kelly
Apparently I'd read this already. Little bits seemed familiar....I have it marked down I have it in paperback but can't find it on my shelves even though I've others by her I kept in my paper-book purge when I moved.
I enjoyed it as I always like her stories-it WAS a great story but as with all e-versions it was chock-full of silly mistakes. It wears me down but especially with a bestselling author under the Harper Collins umbrella. I'd expect a lot better. It really isn't good enough. And that i
Kim
I really hope this shelf stays small because I try very hard to finish every book I start.

I just could not finish Just Between Us. It was very poorly written, childish almost. It tried very hard to be descriptive but the amount of detail was so overwhelming it would make me feel dizzy at times. It would have been fine with so much less detail. Every character was introduced in one big run on paragraph rather than Kelly slowly introducing them throughout the book. There was so much time spent de
Gill
After the first chapter I thought I would be putting it down because the writing was so bad. Instead of developing the characters and letting events and their actions flesh them out she describes each one as they appear. My daughter-in-law said she was trying to be Marianne Keyes and she is so very not and I have to agree. However, I was reading it for Book Club so I soldiered on. The book began to have a strange hold over me and, despite its length, I ended up reading it very nearly at a sittin ...more
Cláudia
3,5

This is the first Cathy Kelly book I read and now I wonder what took me so long?! Even when I had a few friends constantly telling me that I should try her. As one of these friends said, it reminded me of Maeve Binchy in her good days.
Four different women with different lifes and problems, everything seems real and we are just transported to their day to day. It wasn't a difficult read, quite by the contrary, but 634 pages seem a bit too long...
More Cathy Kellys will follow, that's for sure!
Louise
Really enjoyed the storyline but then the book just ended without things being tied up. I would hope maybe a sequel could be written to let us know what happens next.
Lana
Feb 19, 2011 Lana added it
This is chick-lit for a slightly older crowd. The women and their problems were reasonably interesting. I found Holly's story the most entertaining, however her tale is the most chick-lity of the bunch, so maybe that is why.

There were a few things I didn't like, for example the author kept using the turn of phrase "the idea of". i.e. one of the women is worried that her new boyfriend's kids won't like the idea of her. And this phrase is used ALOT. Also all the women, though family, are really d
Rhoda
I would actually give this book 2.5 if I could. As far as chick lit books go this is pretty standard. (I'm not a massive fan and am looking forward to getting through the ones that I stupidly bought on recommendation and get rid of them!). The story was ok but very predictable - probably Holly's story was the most engaging. The book was very long and dragged on. The reason I've given it two stars instead of 3 was that this particular edition had appalling editing! Incorrect use of too and to, an ...more
Sushma Rao
I took lot of time to read this! kind of interesting. characters are very well described.
Carmel
Really cute, kind of grown up chick lit.... put it like this will definitely be reading mor
Rebecca
Pretty much what I expected. Super girly but a good addictive read if you're in the mood for it.
Really enjoyed reading about the Miller women. I could relate to all 4 women in some way. They were all doing their best to make their lives work.

Hearing from each woman's point of view gave the reader 4 stories wrapped up into one. I also appreciated the brief glimpses into the minds of the people each woman was having difficulties with. For instance, when we see a bit of how Jenna is actually feeling about Stella and her father. It gives the reader perspective.

I loved Cathy Kelly's writing sty
Izabela Kolar Furjan
Neka ostane među nama
Mozaik knjiga 2005 953-196-591-9
Smokerjoerabbit Tong
Good lighthearted chick lit for easy reading
Elizabeth
I am a little torn about how I feel about this book. I was very drawn into each character's story, but at the same time, some of the emotions and dilemmas did not seem like they had enough support--others seemed to be left hanging. One of the the major conflicts for a character did not even seem to be nearly as big of a deal as some of the others, which bothered me, and there was a backstory that seemed to come and go as needed. Again, I really did enjoy this book, and had difficulty putting it ...more
Carolyn Hill
Enjoyed this Irish tale of family, love, marriage, and relationships. Likable characters in believable situations (though the perfect careers of two of the sisters was a little less so). I felt that the mother's melodramatic action at the ruby anniversary party was way out of character, and would have preferred seeing more inner conflict about her decision and how it would affect others. As a plot device, I found it annoying. This book was too long, but nevertheless enjoyable as a light read.
Abigail
The book is definitely too long, but I still had a lot of fun reading it. The storylines of the several characters are interwoven enough that it definitely reads like one novel (not a few thrown together). The ending could be called pat, but I have a high tolerance for that -- and it has just enough realism that you don't get annoyed.
Samantha

A great story of a family with ''real' family issues. Lots of twists and turns, however predictable they might have been. Great story with a wonderful ending. I connected with Tara more than any of the girls, for personal reasons. It took awhile for me to get into the story, but once I did I couldn't put it down
Julie
I really enjoyed this heart-warming and uplifting tale by Irish writer Cathy Kelly. I could identify with the characters, and I cared about what happened to them. The themes and ideas that were explored were issues that I could relate to - family ups and downs. I would recommend this book for a gentle and engaging read.
Sabine
I was disappointed in the ending. Too neat and tidy! Main characters are female. All with issues that affect their relationships. Nice holiday read.
Kim
I picked up this book as an afterthought on a buy one, get one free table at a bookstore. It turned into one of my favorite books of all times. Three sisters and how they relate to each other, keep things from each other, and realize how they need each other more than anything. It is an excellent book!!
Beth
Chick-lit. The characters were a leeeeetle flat, but ultimately likeable. I found quite a bit of the plot to be melodramatic, but I got exactly what I expected out of this book, which was a brainless, comfy read, perfect for distracting me from thinking about MY problems.
  • He's Got to Go
  • Francesca's Party
  • Family Baggage
  • Gardens of Delight
  • Girls' Night In
  • Dot.Homme
  • Behaving Like Adults
  • From Here to Maternity
Born in Belfast but raised in Dublin, Cathy initially worked for thirteen years as a newspaper journalist with a national Irish Sunday newspaper, where she worked in news, features, along with spending time as an agony aunt and the paper’s film critic. However, her overwhelming love was always fiction and she published her first international bestseller, Woman To Woman, in 1997. She did not become ...more
More about Cathy Kelly...
Someone Like You Always and Forever Homecoming Best of Friends Past Secrets