Start by marking “Past Secrets” as Want to Read:
Past Secrets

Past Secrets

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,486 ratings  ·  116 reviews
Behind the shining windows and rose-bedecked gardens of Summer Street, there are lots of secrets. There's the one that hard-working single mother Faye hides from her teenage daughter Amber. Then there is the one that 31 year-old Maggie hides from herself.
Published September 13th 2012 by HarperTorch (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Past Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Past Secrets

Christine
When I first started reading Cathy Kelly, I hated how she had 3 very main characters and stories going on. When the chapter ended I wanted to know more about that character, not someone new. But as you get further into the book she nicely spins the three characters together. I love how the underlying theme of this book was about building inner strength and facing the "demons" of the past, leaves you feeling like "live for the future"!
Lauren
I really enjoyed this. To be honest, I bought it because I liked the cover and its about Irish families. But I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. You follow 4 women of 3 different families, all different generations. We all have secrets that we don't need to keep.
Anne Brooke
This all started out very well indeed and I was instantly hooked on Chrissie and her gift of sight, uptight Faye and betrayed Maggie. At the beginning of this book, I loved them all and couldn't get enough of them, to be honest. Heck I even liked teenage daughter Amber and that, for me, is a very hard sell.

So, a strange kind of kudos to the author then for somehow taking that very strong beginning and tearing the whole thing into tiny pieces. It all starts to go wrong about halfway through when
Paige
This was my first read from Cathy Kelly and it does remind me of an Irish Winteral Lane. Careful when you keep secrets from the past because they always come back to haunt you. The author does into just enough character detail to keep you interested and is all in all, well written. I'll read more from Cathy Kelly.
Julie
I loved this one - can't figure out why I prefer London and Irish stories but I do. Strong Irish women who all have a secret that catches up with them - Cathy Kelly is one of my favorites.
rameau
I honestly don't have a clue why I finished reading this one. Except that the paperback was lying on my desk for weeks and I needed something safe (as in I wasn't risking my Kindle) to read while travelling. I was expecting some kind of romance novel maybe with a bit more mature and realistic approach and that's about as much as I got.

What I didn't expect were three different novels in one about three different characters I never got the chance to like or care about. The only connecting thread
Chantal
Ce livre trainait dans ma bibliothèque depuis un peu plus d'un an, mais j'étais trop absorbée par The Hunger Games et Harry Potter pour en entamer la lecture... ;)

Les secrets de Summer Street raconte l'histoire de quatre femmes et comment les secrets de leur passé viennent bouleverser leur vie paisible dans un petit coin charmant de l'Irlande. Christie Devlin est professeur d'arts visuels, mariée depuis longtemps à un homme qu'elle adore. Le retour de Carey Wolensky, un artiste polonais reconnu,
Ketija Grēta
Grāmatas "Past secrets" nosaukums latviešu valodā ir "Meitiņ manu...", kuras autore ir Ketija Kellija. Darba žanrs ir romāns. Šajā grāmatā ir aprakstītas četru sieviešu dzīves, katra savā vecumā, ar citām domām un dzīves pagriezieniem, kā arī ar savu ģimeni, tomēr viņām visām ir kas kopīgs- katrai savs pagātnes noslēpums. Liela daļa šī romāna darbības norisinās Īrijā- Sammerstrītā, kur visi iedzīvotāji ir pazīstami viens ar otru. Sižets ir ļoti saprotams un pēc romānā rakstītā var saprast, ka da ...more
Charulatha
When I started reading, the first few chapters with description of 3 characters, the book had disappointed me; But when the story started spinning I couldn't keep it down. The transition of story from one character's hidden secret to another is done in a beautiful manner. The story involves Christe who is gifted of seeing the future, Maggie who has been bullied and Amber who has been brought up in a protective way by Faye. What happens when each of them decide to reveal their past secrets in the ...more
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
Apr 19, 2010 Mιss •kαthєяίиє• Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss® rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all romantic souls
Recommended to Mιss •kαthєяίиє• by: my instict!
Shelves: favourites
Cathy Kelly's books always have a hidden meaning. This one taught me well the importance of never fearing my secrets - otherwise they will haunt me forever....
Three amazing woman and one teenager are the heroines of this book and soon they realise that their secrets will have to be faced one day and they must free themselves to live their lives with the best.
Camille
This is one of those annoying books that becomes unputdownable because of the strong characterisation but has awful writing - I felt the writer must think the audience is dumb and needs everything spelling out. A good light read though.
TMJ
Be careful when you keep secrets from the past because they will always come back to haunt you. Comfortable, Maeve Binchy style read like curling up with a cup of Hot Chocolate.
Redfox5
So nice to read a chick lit after so long away from one. There have been many battles and kids stuff in this book year but not enough books like this. When I started this I fell in love with it, thought it was going to be a 5 star read. Was loving the plot, the characters and wanting to find out what all these past secrets were. It sort of lost itself abit in the middle and I slowed my pace down to match. Luckly it picked up towards the end, made me shed a few tears. I'm glad things worked out f ...more
Anne C.
A wonderful Maeve Binchy read-alike.
SIMON Karine
Ce roman nous dresse le portrait de trois femmes de trois générations différentes. Leurs points communs, elles habitent toutes les trois la même rue : Summer Street, et cachent un secret qu’elle croyait enfoui à jamais mais qui malheureusement va finir par remonter à la surface, et va venir bousculer leur vie tranquille, du moins c’est ce que laisse entendre le synopsis.

Christie mène une vie tranquille dans Summer Street avec son mari depuis trente ans. Ses enfants mènent à présent leur propre v
Anna
I had a hard time finishing this book. It seemed to drag on and on, and was repetitive. I got tired of the whining. Leave the past where it belongs, and quite hashing it over day after day. Also I found Amber's whole "following rock band going to America adventure" to be over the top and not believable. Honestly all of the characters made me feel impatient with them; I kept wanting them to get over themselves and stop living in the past. At times I found myself rolling my eyes, and wondering why ...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
This was an enjoyable read but didn't get as deep with meaning as I hoped. The premise is to not hold secrets from yourself or others for they do eat you up from the inside out. I like that part and it kept me going because I wanted to know what the 'secrets' were. But, in the end, there was little fizzle to keep me emotionally involved. Maybe it was just more predictable or stereotypical than I prefer.

Either way, I have enjoyed this author and am usually able to get past her writing 'accent' wh
Lobna Amer
Probably under other circumstances, I would have fallen for the poetic, magical descriptions which this book is so full of, but, you see, stretching this "poetry" over the course of 650 pages is just pushing it. At many many many many many points the book was just plain redundant, slow, boring! I'm afraid Ms. Kelly's books will not have a place in future to-read lists.
Natasha
This book was really quite good.

I thought I wouldn't like it, seeing as I'm fairly sure it's an adult book and I am but a naive teenager. But I loved it!

I loved all the different stories, (and, oh my gosh, it was in third-POV, such a change!!) and how they all intersected and how dark pasts were discovered. And the secrets were revealed in a timely fashion, not all at once nor did Ms. Kelly wait too long and lose my interest. She released everything gradually, like an IV-drip, never too much at
Purvashree
Starts with 4 female characters..with iriah back drop.. I just love the way the their tales are spinning together..loved individuality of the character..a very warm and heart touching read..a sure read..

"We have to stop thinking of how everyone else would live your life in your shoes. You have to live your own life and do your best.."

Purva..xo
Leanne Hunt
A pleasant but unremarkable read, "Past Secrets" deals with the lives of four women of varying ages, all with guilty secrets which end up dominating their choices. As someone recently said to me, "That which you do not talk about rules your life." By interweaving past and present, the author portrays her characters with hidden depths, so that it is possible to see how their circumstances have come to be. All this is entertaining but it isn't gripping to the point that one can't put the book down ...more
Sue
Past Secrets reminded me so much of books that I've read by Maeve Binchey and Rosemunde Pilcher. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The setting in Ireland was delightful, and the characters were all very interesting.
Mia
It was an OK book. Overall I enjoyed the characters very much, but somehow it was just too long in some tiny aspects that should't and in the end there was an emptiness about it. I guess I can say I was disappointed, as it started so well. But I recomend it, at least because you can get to know Maggie Maguire. That girl made me laugh!
Steph Rose
It was a long time ago but I remember really enjoying it! I'll give it 3 stars :)
Catherine De genova
I really enjoyed this book. Big fan of anything set in Ireland (mostly). Loved the way characters were woven in and it was really a "feel good" read. Didn't predict the ending entirely either. That's always a plus.
Cheryl
I feel that this book was a script for a lifetime movie. It seemed like every chapter could end with a character looking off into the distance with sad music playing around her. Sample quote (you'll find one like this at the end of every chapter), "The strange feeling came through her again, and despite the warmth of the morning, Christie shivered." And it goes on and on... I don't want to ruin it for you, but each person has a PAST SECRET that they don't want to reveal. Watch what happens to th ...more
Roxie
another great book by Cathy...her stories of people's lives and the way she gets you involved in the characters is what makes her a great writer
This is the first book I've read from this author and, after reading her reviews, I assumed I was in for a good story.

However, I just could not finish it. It was too bitty with too many characters and too much going on. she should have had half the stories and done them in more depth.

I gave it a good go and read the first 100 pages but, after that, I skipped to the last chapter. If you guessed the ending at the start, you were probably correct as it was completely predictable.

Will give her one
Irum Zahra
Basically I love books with secrets.
book starting to drag 2 14 Sep 21, 2012 08:32PM
  • Wish Upon a Star
  • Revenge Of The Wedding Planner
  • Vengeance
  • Tell Me Something
Born in Belfast but raised in Dublin, Cathy initially worked for thirteen years as a newspaper journalist with a national Irish Sunday newspaper, where she worked in news, features, along with spending time as an agony aunt and the paper’s film critic. However, her overwhelming love was always fiction and she published her first international bestseller, Woman To Woman, in 1997. She did not become ...more
More about Cathy Kelly...
Someone Like You Always and Forever Homecoming Best of Friends Just Between Us