Start by marking “Rumeurs de pluie” as Want to Read:
Rumeurs de pluie

André Brink

Rumeurs de pluie

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Winter in South Africa - a time of searing drought, angry stirrings in Soweto, and the shadow of the Angolan conflict cast across the scorched bush. Martin Mynhardt, a wealthy Afrikaner, plans a weekend at his old family farm.
But his visit coincides with a time of crisis in his personal life. In a few days, the security of a lifetime is destroyed and Mynhardt is left to f
356 pages
Published 1979 by Stock (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Rumeurs de pluie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumeurs de pluie

Linda Edquist
I have to say this was a really hard read because I had such an early dislike for the main character - not that one was supposed to feel that way but it was the nature of the person. A historical perspective that I have never experienced and I feel I learned an incredible amount by reading.
Margitte
Die korrupsie in die Apartheidregering word in die boek as fiksie aangebied en die leser moet kies tussen twee uiterste karakters met geen middeweg nie. 'n Insiggewende boek. Letterkunde, en spesifiek dié van die Sestigers, was die enigste publikasies waarin protes teen 'n stelsel aangebied kon word in die Apartheidsjare. Ander publikasies, soos koerante was verbied om dit te doen.

Sommige verhale was feite in fiksie formaat en so versprei aan die wereld. Die beperkings op die pers het tot gevol
Tom
I really enjoyed this book. The story was simple enough and didn't distract from the great writing, but the characters were very well created and I felt I knew them well, even if I disliked some they were still making sense. I'd recommend this book and this author.
Lucienne
Well-written, complex, shocking at times, engaging. A very intimate look into South Africa, during apartheid, from an unsympathetic Afrikaner's point of view. The narrative unfolds slowly, but it's well worth the time and effort. Highly recommend.
Sandy Gaines
I seem to be on a South African kick recently (World Cup fever?) and was surprised by this exceptional novel by a writer I did not know before (my fault--this book was shortlisted for the Booker Prize the year it was published). Brink is a superb craftsman--the narrative is deft, the characters complex, the prose spare but evocative, and the descriptions of people and the African landscape will linger in your memory. Dated, to be sure (1978), but his devastating yet sympathetic portrayal of the ...more
Nataliertp
This isn't the best South African novel I've read but it's up there. Set during the Apartheid era, Brink explores the life of a typical Afrikaner businessman whose adherence to duty and the values he has been raised with bring about his eventual fall from grace. The protagonist's unwillingness to bend is ultimately non-sustainable in a time when South Africa is swept up in the movement that eventually brought an end to Apartheid.
Amanda Brinkmann
Another life-changing book that I read in my youth, in a country that was, at the time, torn to shreds by Apartheid. If I remember correctly, the book may have been banned for a time - making it even more exciting to read.

I plan to re-read it - so as to observe my reactions to the content now that I am older and more mature.
Betty
Geruchten van regen - het allereerste boek dat ik van Brink las, en ik was meteen verkocht. Toen ik het las, vond ik het een van de meest aangrijpende aanklachten tegen de Apartheid, maar toen stond ik aan het begin van het ontdekken van literatuur uit Zuid-Afrika.
Lois
Jul 08, 2007 Lois rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: brink fans
Shelves: lobagsbooks
I am the biggest Brink Fan on the planet. He is my favourite author so I am biased with all of his work. Don't expect a balanced review from me. As with all Brinks work the backdrop is apartheid South Africa and the stuggles of white and black alike.
Andry
Wonderful book, he is one of my favorite authors. The timeline of the story is slightly jolting though. Should have taken place more compactly.
Ilanka
So well-written, very real and believable characters. About South Africa, about apartheid and much much more.
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Aniket Barik
Aniket Barik marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Clara Moreno
Clara Moreno marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Julieann Wozniak
Julieann Wozniak is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
Janlen
Janlen marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Siri Baastad
Siri Baastad marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
  • Bruno's Dream
  • The Children of Dynmouth
  • The Sirian Experiments
  • The Industry of Souls
André Philippus Brink was a South African novelist. He wrote in Afrikaans and English and was until his retirement a Professor of English Literature at the University of Cape Town.

In the 1960s, he and Breyten Breytenbach were key figures in the Afrikaans literary movement known as Die Sestigers ("The Sixty-ers"). These writers sought to use Afrikaans as a language to speak against the apartheid go
More about André Brink...
A Dry White Season Philida An Instant in the Wind The Other Side of Silence Devil's Valley