Start by marking “The Legend Begins (One Piece, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Legend Begins (One Piece, #12)

The Legend Begins (One Piece #12)

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  3,405 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Luffy narrowly escapes being executed by his old nemeses Lady Alvida and Buggy the Clown, but now he has the Navy hot on his trail. Leading the hunt is the relentless Captain Smoker, a man who has never let a pirate escape from his jurisdiction!
Published October 3rd 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 2nd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend Begins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend Begins

Novia
Jan 05, 2009 Novia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, one-piece
For me, One Piece is best Manga ever written. The story always touch my heart, it is a combination of faithful friendship, laughter, loyalty and action.
Some people might find this manga as silly and pointless (I’ve heard this before) but they never truly read the Manga and therefore judging it simply from the cover. I’ve been in that position too…and thank God I finally looked beyond the cover and found the greatest adventure any Mangaka ever written.

More about One Piece at my blog http://bokuno
Austin Gullett
Mar 15, 2017 Austin Gullett rated it it was amazing
The brief Roguetown/Loguetown arc is wrapped up with a very, very touching filler story, the crew entering the Grand Line, so core mechanics of the world being explained, and the introduction of the new central antagonistic group. Or, rather, the first? The East Blue saga is made up of a lot of short arcs with their own Big Bads, but it looks like Baroque Works is in it for the long haul. Also, making a mercenary organization the villains is a cool premise. Getting a bunch of great scenes of Zor ...more
Krista Ivy
Luffy and crew make it to the first island of the Grand Line. But first, they meet an old Doctor that takes care of a whale. The poor thing has been waiting 50 years for it's pirate friends to come back. He won't accept that they left him and so he bashes his head against the mountain trying to get through. The Doctor lives inside the whale so that he can treat him. Luffy fights the whale and says that he's proven himself as strong and he'll come back for a rematch. He paints his Captain's flag ...more
Nazish Ahmed (Nazish Reads)
Most of this volume was kind of boring, but then the fight Zoro has at the end is when things start getting interesting again.

Sanji is so sexist and his lust for any pretty girl (with some characters it's funny, but I just find it annoying in this anime and manga), it's so annoying. It's the same with that swordswomen in the beginning of this volume, she's so annoying. Why couldn't they have an interesting swordswomen, one that isn't uptight and hating that she's a girl. Plus, if Nami can punch
Patricia
Oct 03, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it
I'm not really interested in reviewing this series, but I want to have a recap for myself, in case I'm searching for a specific scene in the future, which is why I actually plan to reread the whole series in 2012.

- Zoro and Tashigi have a little fight and she's all "Did you just go easy on me, cause I'm a girl?" And he's like "Could you please shut up and not talk like Kuina??"
- Mysterious guy ('Dragon'?) helps the strawhats (without their knowledge) and they set sail, repeating their goals (lo
Matan Michaeli
Feb 26, 2016 Matan Michaeli rated it it was amazing
Luffy narrowly escapes the clutches of Smoker while Buggy and Alvida were easily captured. The Straw Hats escape Rogue Town and head for the Grand Line.

They come to Reverse Mountain, a mountain crossing the Red Line where the current of the four Blue Sea diverge into the Grand Line. (view spoiler)

The Straw Hats are introduced to Crocus, and he expl
Veronica Ika
Apr 09, 2015 Veronica Ika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
“Let’s go to Grand Line!!”

Luffy and crew finally make their way to Grand Line. So many illogical and confusing things happen on the way: climbing a mountain in the sea, incomprehensible changing of climate, calm and quiet sea, sea monsters etc. etc. Strawhat Crew shows a really good teamwork in this serial as well that shows how unbeatable the crew is (or just how very lucky).

There is another –yet – touching story of animal, in this case, a great whale waiting for friends for 50 years and always
Ottery StCatchpole
Apr 09, 2013 Ottery StCatchpole rated it it was amazing
What can I say about One Piece that I haven't said before? The series is awesome, and Oda-Sensei manages to keep the book funny, creative, and very entertaining. This isn't an easy feat when you think about it. I've seen comic book series that have had less time go through serious downward spirals, and some that were just stillborn. But not so with One Piece. The art is fresh and interesting, the story funny and you can see progress as our friends finally get to the Grand Line. Where they meet u ...more
Kurami Rocket
Jun 02, 2015 Kurami Rocket rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This was a nice vol. It was rather interesting to learn about the strange navigation and islands of the Grand Line, which we have finally arrived at. Though, things got boring with the whale story, which dragged out a bit too long for my liking. And the ending of Luffy befriending it was pretty obvious, so I kinda felt like it was a waste of time and that part of the story could have moved along way faster. Pretty weird how that old guy was living inside the whale though! How that creature survi ...more
Leana
Aug 06, 2013 Leana rated it it was amazing
Slamáci se konečně dostávají na Grand Line, což je jedna z mých oblíbených scén jak v anime tak v manze,(view spoiler) Poprvé se objevuje i tajná organizace Baroque Works a jejich agenti Miss Wednesday a MR. 9. Obzvlášť dojemný je i příběh velryby jménem Laboon, která už 50 let čeká na své přátele. Nebyl by to One Piece, aby se v každém díle neobjevila alespoň jedna divná postava, kterou je Crocus, strážce majáku, který s ...more
TheGracefulReader
Jan 15, 2017 TheGracefulReader rated it liked it
Amy
Jun 30, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Ahaha, a day a manga keeps the boredom away! Another fine volume from Oda-sensei! This series is really amazing! First things first, the strawhat crew enters the grand line and meets Laboon, the whale! Laboon's story is very touching and the pirate crew that he befriends never really left him, it's just... *spoilers* They are dead, yohohohoho! oh yeahhhh... I think it is very smart of Oda to pay attention into details and building up the background of the upcoming characters. Whisky Peak, where ...more
Nicole
Mar 20, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, pirates, shonen
Jessica Robinson
Sep 27, 2015 Jessica Robinson rated it really liked it
Frahorus
May 17, 2016 Frahorus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, one-piece
Il misterioso Dragon (ancora non sappiamo chi sia, forse un altro temibile pirata) aiuta la nostra ciurma a fuggire da Smoker ma i nostri finiscono dentro una balena! Scoperto l'arcano fanno amicizia col custode di lei, un vecchio dottore che se ne prende cura, e ripartono verso Whiskey Peak. E qui cadranno nelle mani di 100 cacciatori di taglie. Ma il nostro spadaccino Zoro è rimasto vigile...

Bella l'idea dell'esser mangiati da una balena e la sua storia davvero commovente. Diciamo che, rispett
Ashley
Dec 20, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
Ankit Shah
Sep 07, 2014 Ankit Shah rated it really liked it
after escaping from smoker lufy and his crew continued their journey to grand line. in the way they got swallowed by a giant whale in which they met ms Wednesday and mr 9 a mysterious group lufy helped whale laboon. after getting help from doctor and receiving lock post they arrived at a town in which there are 100 pirate hunters.
Nat G.
Dec 04, 2014 Nat G. rated it really liked it
About a year ago I was obsessed with One piece. I watched the anime and read the manga. It has likeable characters (except Nami) and a good plot. It's a great mix of Friendship and adventure. Although I am no longer following this series It's still a great read and I would recommend checking it out.
Wickedshizuku
Jan 21, 2012 Wickedshizuku rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Manga fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Sgt. Brandon S. Hocking R.I.P.
Shelves: manga, reviewed
Volume 12 kicks off with Chapter 100: The beginning of a legend!
Monkey D. Dragon is introduced at the very beginning, but doesn't get a lot of face time in the volume. Luffy and the crew are in tight spot with Captain Buggy again. The setting is LoughTown the former hometown of the infamous pirate king Gol D. Roger.
Anna
Apr 10, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Set sail into the Grand Line at last!! ... and into the belly of a giant whale!?!?

Ok, show of hands - who didn't think Dragon was gonna be of such relevance later in the series from his brief 1st appearance in this book. Anyone?
Sakurahan
Aug 25, 2015 Sakurahan rated it really liked it
Great volume! It finishes the East Blue Arc of well as the Merry Go pirate crew move on into the Grand Line and continue their adventure there. There were a few funny moments as there always is with One Piece as well.
Leighann hartless
Feb 15, 2008 Leighann hartless rated it really liked it
its soo cool i cant wait to read the others
Sebastian
Oct 27, 2016 Sebastian rated it it was amazing
I think this is a very good book in it the straw hat crew travel to the grand line.
Dru
Dec 21, 2010 Dru rated it really liked it
This series takes a big step forward in the Baroque works arc, which lasts from Volume 12 to partway through Volume 23. It gets really, really good.
Andreia
Sep 10, 2013 Andreia rated it it was amazing
Até me arrepiei ao ler "Chapter 100: The legend begins"!
David
Jul 12, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, read-comics
The Grand Line
saiberiac
Great volume, really had me excited around chapter 100.
Kyu Hwan Choi
Mar 11, 2012 Kyu Hwan Choi rated it really liked it
So good! Read it and read it... You will be addicted to it.
Jeffrey
Finally, the Grand Line! Big adventure awaits! Except..

It's not that bad really, but it's nothing too special either. Pretty standard shounen stuff.
  • Naruto 39: 動き出す者たち [Ugokidasu Mono-Tachi] 〈ナルト 巻ノ39〉
  • フェアリーテイル 21 [Fearī Teiru 21] (Fairy Tail, #21)
208650