Start by marking “One Piece, Volume 05: For Whom the Bell Tolls (One Piece, #5)” as Want to Read:
One Piece, Volume 05: For Whom the Bell Tolls (One Piece, #5)

One Piece, Volume 05: For Whom the Bell Tolls (One Piece #5)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  3,018 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Follows the adventures of Monkey D. Luffy, a 17 year old boy, who gained supernatural abilities by eating a magical fruit, and his ragtag crew of heroic pirates, named the Straw Hats. Luffy's greatest ambition is to obtain the world's ultimate treasure, One Piece and thereby become the next Pirate King.

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Once upon a time, Usopp was just a local boy wit
Published October 9th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published October 1998)

To ask other readers questions about One Piece, Volume 05, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Piece, Volume 05

Novia
For me, One Piece is best Manga ever written. The story always touch my heart, it is a combination of faithful friendship, laughter, loyalty and action.
Some people might find this manga as silly and pointless (I’ve heard this before) but they never truly read the Manga and therefore judging it simply from the cover. I’ve been in that position too…and thank God I finally looked beyond the cover and found the greatest adventure any Mangaka ever written.

More about One Piece at my blog http://bokuno
Patricia BookExhibitionism
I'm not really interested in reviewing this series, but I want to have a recap for myself, in case I'm searching for a specific scene in the future, which is why I actually plan to reread the whole series in 2012.

- End of fight with the butler
- Ussop joins the gang; they get their ship (The Going Meri/Flying Lamb); they get their flag
- More of Ussop's history, he is now more likeable.. or maybe that's just me pitying him?
- Introduces two bounty hunters who already know Zoro: Yosaku and Johnny
Nicola Mansfield
The story has hit is stride now for me. This volume continues the story of the battle against Captain Kuro started in Vol. 4. This plays out; we are given background material on the new characters; and let into Kuro's real dastardly objectives. The battles continue and this storyline comes to an end. Unfortunately as I had hoped would not happen in the last volume Ussop does join our major characters as a member of the crew. My favourite is Zolo though, and I just love him when he puts the banda ...more
Julie Hayes

Usopp’s pirates, protecting Kaya, are chased by the hypnotist/pirate captain Django, while Klahadore, the false butler, faces down Luffy, Zolo, and Usopp. He thinks he has them where he wants them, but Zolo shows that the Meowban brothers are no match for him, although Usopp goes down, and cannot rise. No problem! Zolo will carry him, leaving Luffy to deal with Klahadore.

As Luffy and Klahadore battle, the pirate butler’s plan becomes apparent—annihilation for all, including his trusty crew. He
Taruia
The saga of the Usopp the liar story continues without pause, or a decent editor it would seem, as repetitive panels re-explaining the situation isn't doing anything for this manga. Anyhow, instead of killing everyone it is decided to have a rich, frail girl, who happens to be the heir of a massive house and wealth (and jetskis presumably but they haven't been seen yet, what this story really does need is a jetski ... however) to sign over her wealth in a will. Yep, that seems plausible.

Kate
Sanji arrives! Yay! My favorite one piece character probably. But before that....

During Luffy's fight with Captain Kuro, he exclaims "Don't you even care about your own crew?!". Nami hears this, back at the ship, and looks surprised that a pirate would care. I think this is another way that Luffy showed (unconsciously) Nami that not all pirates are bad.

After the fight Luffy's lost a lot of blood and is weak. Nami comes over to him with the treasure and he collapses onto her, leaning his head o
Annerooo
3.5 - "You're already our companion, aren't you?"

Chapter 41 is a gold! So many feels for nakama and kazoku. Sanji finally makes his appearance too. <3
kehau
Jun 25, 2007 kehau rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I don't know why this series is so popular. Must have to do with the pirate infatuation pushed on kids by Disney (talk about Disneyism or Mickey-nomics P4C people). Anyway, more silliness abounds in this pirate tale of Luffy (eater of the gum-gum devil fruit which makes him stretchable, ala Mr Fantastic, just with less control) and his band of strawhat pirates as they continue to battle bigger and badder pirates in their search for the "one piece," the big enchilada of legendary pirate booty. Th ...more
Ricardo EMG
Finally Sanji is here.
Sanji over zoro.

LONG LIVE KUROASHI
Joleen
I have to say, this is some of the best manga I have ever read.
Tsering
So much humor in the series!
Wickedshizuku
May 11, 2014 Wickedshizuku rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the anime, Manga fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Sgt. Brandon S. Hocking R.I.P
Shelves: manga, reviewed
Volume starts with chapter: 36 "The Chase."
The Usopp Pirate crew are leading Ms. Kaya to Luffy and the gang, when they run into the hypnotist Jango. You will love this guy.
One Piece vol. 5 Review photo Jango.png
All the while Luffy, Zoro, Nami, and Usopp are fighting off the Terrible Captain Kuro. Go find this volume.
Nicole
In this volume, Usopp joins Luffy's pirate crew and says his goodbyes to Kaya and "his pirates," and Kaya thanks them all by giving them a lovely new boat. We then get introduced to two of Zolo's former pirate-hunting partners - Yosaku and Johnny - who sort of indirectly become part of Luffy's crew as well. The volume concludes with our crew dropping anchor for a spell at a seafood restaurant (on its own ship), and we meet the main that appears to be in Luffy's sights as his next crewmember/cook ...more
Robert Beveridge
Eiichiro Oda, One Piece: For Whom the Bell Tolls (ViZ, 1997)

The Usopp storyline comes to a close, and the crew heads off to find a ship's cook. Where better to do so than a floating restaurant? The only problem is that on the way, they meet a Navy Marshal, who attempts to sink their ship, and Luffy, in deflecting the ball, sends it right into said floating restaurant-- so now he not only has the navy to contend with, but very angry restaurant owner. What to do? Another fun episode. ****
Ottery StCatchpole
Kai Wilson
Yet another great book in the One Piece series. Wonderful illustrations and enjoyable storyline as per usual. The plot ends in a cliffhanger which left me eager to read the next book.
Kate
Usopp's departure brought tears to my eyes. Pretty good stuff even if I already knew the story like the back of my hand. I eagerly await a revisit to Carrot, Pepper, and Onion to see if they're on their way to fulfilling their dreams of running a tavern, becoming a master carpenter, and writing novels.
Jeffrey
This volume concludes the Captain Kuro arc and begins the Don Krieg one. It also features a great origin story for the latest member of Luffy's crew. Better than the previous volumes, it's verging on the point of me actually wanting to recommend this series to some people.
Federiken Masters
Aug 24, 2013 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Federiken by: Juani
Si no me equivoco, este es el último tomo que leí hasta el momento de One Piece. Y, al igual que los otros, me resultó muy simpático, gracioso y bien dibujado, pero no me dejó ansioso por leerme el tomo siguiente. Algún día la seguiré... aunque me va a costar ponerme al día.
ArdnAskelA
Haha, j'adore le personnage de Jango ! LOL. Il m'a bien fait rire avec ses hypnoses. Sinon, dans l'ensemble c'est toujours aussi bien. Et heureusement que ça se termine cette histoire sur cette île, parce que je commençais à trouver que ça traîner un peu..
Dmitry Romanovsky
luffy is a pirate on a quest to become the next king of the pirates but he is looking for a crew first.
nami is the only girl on the crew(so far). she is the navigator of the ship. she steals ocean charts for someone(Not show yet)
Matimate
Things are getting to be complicated and new dastardly foes appeared as well as new allies. Luffy was making more and more clear what he wanted.
Taylor
I do enjoy this manga but its so long and the author and shonen jump dont seem like they want to stop. No joke, this will probably be 100 volumes
Sara
This is about how Luffy has defeated the black cat pirates and got Usopp to join his crew. I recommend this book to those who love adventures.
Agent
David De
Stronger enemies appear and new recruits join Monkey D. Luffy (the boy with Rubber Powers)
Caroline
I'm probably done with this one. It's not BAD, it's just not too interesting to me.
Indah Threez Lestari
#Program BUBU

Pertama kali dibeli dan dibaca pada tanggal 1 Mei 2003.
Amy
Aug 20, 2009 Amy added it
One Piece, Vol. 5: For Whom the Bell Tolls by Eiichiro Oda (2004)
Reetta Saine
Smacking between two storylines. Loved the cooks, though.
  • Naruto, Vol. 13: The Chunin Exam, Concluded...!! (Naruto, #13)
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 03 (Fairy Tail, #3)
208650