Start by marking “Romancing the Dead” as Want to Read:
Romancing the Dead

Romancing the Dead (Garnet Lacey #3)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,126 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Having dealt with the skeletons in her closet - the Vatican witch hunters who wanted her dead and the FBI agents who wanted her to spend life in prison - Garnet Lacey is feeling pretty darn good about her life. But things are about to go wrong. Very wrong.

Just as Garnet is finally starting to feel settled in Madison and daydreaming aboutwhat 'forever' might mean to Sebasti
Published 2008 by Headline Review

Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
5 Stars:
It is a great page-turning read. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next Garnet book! Garnet Lacey is just a fun character all around.

My absolute favorite and will read again and again. I strongly recommend! It has outstanding qualities. The characters are wonderful and surprising and multi-dimensional. The writing is luring, engaging, and well-crafted enough to keep me interested from cover to cover and beyond. The plot is astonishing with twists and turns weaved into a well thought
Nurse Lisa in Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
Narrated by the fantabulous Amanda Ronconi!

I'm hanging 3.5-ish shiny silver stars on this title. I enjoy this series overall & plan to continue it. :)
Terri
Mar 16, 2009 Terri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a mismash of witches, goddesses, vampires, ghouls, and a plot that doesn't have much substance. Good for a mindless read but not much else.
Marie
Dec 27, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great adventure with Garnet and Sebastian
Juliana
I loved the humor and pace of this book. Fun read
Brandi ;)
Eh...there could be spoilers in this review...depends on what you call spoilers so if you don't want to know anything about the book, don't read this. If you've already read it and want to hear my opinion, read on. I def liked this one a lot more than the 1st 2 in the series. I like the way the author writes, she puts plenty oh humor in with out it being annoying. The love scenes are thankfully not in massive detail. Just enough to make you purr when needed. I really like the main character, Gar ...more
May 19, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
This is the third book in the Garnet Lacey series & continues on a few months after the end of Dead Sexy. I'd recommend reading the series in order - although this review won't give spoilers for Romancing the Dead it will include spoilers for previous books so I wouldn't recommend reading further if you've not read the previous books.

Sebastian and Garnet have just got engaged but with Garnet's track record that doesn't mean everything is going to go smoothly. She is still struggling with jea
Kathy
Sebastian asks Garnet to marry him… and she says yes, but with reservations… and they decide to start a new coven… they get 11 people, including William – her coworker - (for a total of 13 counting them) at their first meeting… Garnet is aware of a coyote that crosses her path numerous times.

Sebastian is missing… he doesn’t show up to a horticulture meeting or at home… and then Matyas (his son) shows up – he is also concerned about his dad… Matyas & Garnet make an uneasy peace, and work toge
Marlee
Aug 31, 2008 Marlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked reading this one it wasn't a fast paced book with tons of action or full of sex scenes or anything of popular mainstream demands of books.

It was origional and you grow with the character each time a book comes out in this series. I have known people that were upset that this book wasn't like all the others where you would know the character inside and out. I love this idea of growing with the character as she finds out more about herself and how the world "views" others.

There is n
Theresa
This is the third book in the Garnet Lacey series and Garnet's life is moving into the fast lane -- she's negotiating to buy the occult bookstore that she's been managing and her she is officially engaged to Sebastian. But now he is missing.

Garnet isn't quite sure what has happened to him. Was he done in by his son -- who ratted him and Garnet out to the Vatican witch hunters in exchange for a Jag? Had he run off with someone else? Or, had something horrible happened to him?

And, there's this wer
Kimberly Ann

What a lame book.....I say just kill Garnet off or make her a stand-up woman who lives up to the full potential of her gifts & talents. Make her "Walk the Talk" or end the series.....she's a loser. The series is deteriorating.

This is it....really... How can someone carrying the Goddess Lilith inside them, who survived the murder of their entire coven and the victor of more than one murderous group of assassins, who happens also to be a very knowledgeable & capable practitioner of the "c
April
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

Another book with a lot going on, but this time the pace is much better. The whole engagement was a cold start, a little jump forward in the storyline.

I am getting used to Garnet and Sebastian, not my first choice, but I am warming up to him. Loved the whole missing storyline, it lead to two other plots, that did not disappoint!

A little bit of smexy time mixed in makes for a happy romance reader. Yummy steam that is just this side of too h
Elizabeth
Nov 27, 2008 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I’m on the top of the world. The Vatican witch hunters think I’m dead, the FBI has closed my file, I might get to buy the occult bookstore I manage, I’m co-founding a brand-new coven—and the vampire I love has just proposed. How lucky can a girl get?

Wait, wai—Oh, crap. I’ve jinxed myself. My fiancé, Sebastian, is missing and I’m worried sick. Has he been kidnapped? Or could he have run off with that leggy blonde from the coven?

Now I’ll have to seek the help of my future stepson—the same brat w
Kristen
I really enjoyed this third installment in Garnet's story! This one was quite a bit faster-paced with a lot of of excitement as Garnet tries to discover what's happened to Sebastian, who's disappeared.

There is a very interesting progression of both Garnet's character and the relationship between her and Sebastian in this book. Also there are a variety of supporting characters in this story who are nearly as fascinating as the main characters.

The plot really moves fast in this story, and I read i
Lori Whitwam
Sep 08, 2008 Lori Whitwam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Tate Hallaway is fun to read. Breezy, clever style and humor, and Garnet is a total trip. A witch (previously on the run from Vatican assassins) in Madison, Wisconsin, and newly engaged to a vampire, what's she going to do when he goes missing, and magical attacks on her come at every turn? Is it someone in her newly-forming coven? And what about that dog-like animal she keeps seeing? The Goddess Lilith, who resides within Garnet, is getting restless, too, and that can make things crazy. Trying ...more
S.N. Arly
Classified as bit-lit (romance involving supernatural creatures, in this case vampires), this is the third in the Garnet Lacey series. It's a fun and engaging read, and is the strongest of the three to date. There's less romance and there are more direct attacks on Garnet than we saw in the previous two books. The world and characters are wonderfully quirky and realistic. There were some surprises along the way, though the ending was pretty straightforward (which is not a problem since it doesn' ...more
Lady Ozma
This has been my favourite Hallaway book yet. The character growth along the series so far has been great and the story just gets more interesting with each new installment.

In this one, Garnet is set to move on with her life now that she isn't as worried about the authorities (federal and vatican both) hot for her hide. Her vamp has popped the question, she's trying to buy the store, and she's hoping to start a new coven.

Of course just when life seems to quiet down, things tend to go kablooey. A
MrsJana13
May 31, 2015 MrsJana13 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2011
Buch Nummer Drei dieser Reihe schließt nahtlos an Band Zwei an. Man ist sofort wieder drin in der Geschichte von Garnet und Sebastian. Ich konnte das Buch gar nicht aus der Hand legen, weil ich genauso wie Garnet wissen wollte was mit Sebastian passiert ist. Genauso wie Garnet hatte ich aber auch anfangs das Problem bzw. die Frage wen man vertrauen kann. An einigen Stellen war die Sachlage total klar, an anderen Stellen dafür überhaupt nicht. Eine für meinen Geschmack würdige Fortsetzung. Ich bi ...more
Bonnie
Mar 20, 2016 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was glad that I did not read my own review of the last book where I swore off the series before purchasing this one. This was back on track and as good as the first book. Still not "literature” by any means and not even in my top series that are about vampires and magic but a fun read when you are tired of “literature”.

That said, Garnet and the gang are back with another supernatural, wild, crazy and funny adventure. It is a great page turner mixed with plenty of sex, magic, bloodsucking and mys
Julie (jjmachshev)
Apr 27, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
Not as good as the first two in this series. These are more a chick-lit genre than romance or erotica.

Garnet's life is going well. She's considering buying the magic bookstore she runs, she's come to terms with the Goddess Lilith she carries inside her, and her vampire lover, Sebastian, just proposed to her! Life is great...until Sebastian disappears, someone is trying to kill Garnet, and a big ole' dog keeps 'dogging' her steps! What's going on?

As I mentioned, not as good as the first two. Garn
Amanda
While not as good as the first two books (mostly because hottie Sebastian is absent for much of the story) still a great read and an interesting turn on the Garnet character as she contemplates marriage with a vampire and her inner Goddess. Although it seems the more she opens up to people the more trouble she gets into. Perhaps Garnet should keep her mouth shut about her vampire boyfriend and harbored Goddess. The she would not attract so much negative attention.
Broodingferret
This was not as good as the last two, which says a lot considering the last two weren't exactly stelar literature. The protagonist came across as far more vapid and whiny than I remembered her being, but that may just be a result of having waited so long between books. I also found the plot to be cheesy and predictable, and I hated the concept behind the primary vampire character. Meh, I'm glad I got it for about $1 out of some bargain bin.
Mar 01, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very exciting, Garnet's fiance goes missing and someone is attacking her magically. Not to mention the mysterious Micah who claims to be able to rid her of her Goddess-in-residence. She tries to start a new coven and crazy things begin to happen. She has to enlist the help of her fiance's son Matayas who really doesn't like her. I wonder sometimes how Garnet manages to not get herself killed!
Kieraanne
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first two. I vaguely remember not really liking her vamp love interest, I preferred her ex who was a character in the first two. Now that he's gone the story just wasn't as engaging. Especially since the whole book is wrapped up in her looking for Sebastian, whom I didn't really care for. It also seemed like they were making a huge leap in the their relationship that seemed unwarranted given how much they knew about each other.
Lindsay
Nov 20, 2014 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love this series. And I love Garnet more with each book. Knowing there are only 2 left sucks. I am just so upset with myself for not giving this series more time earlier on. I loved the story line in this with the Trickster and Garnet. I feel like her struggles are something any one would go through. So its what I imagine a normal person would go through if everything that went bump in the night were real.
Emily
Aug 08, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: oblivious white people
While I agree that this book was better written than the previous two, I did not enjoy the cultural appropriation of Native American religion. It's one thing for an author to do (obviously a lot of) research about Wicca and the history of witchcraft and write a book; it's quite another to start grabbing your characters from active religions without any real research to advance your plot. I wish the author would get back to writing thought-provoking hard SF; I miss her stuff.
Kathy Hiester
I love paranormal romance and in Tate Halloway 3rd installment of the "Garnet" she finally seems to get her happy ending with Sebastien her vampire love. The story was drawn out and it took great discipline to keep on reading. There were several instances where I thought "just get to it already". All in all the book was typical chick out.
3 stars
Clare
Aug 20, 2011 Clare rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, library
It's been a few years since I read the first two books in this series and I was quite excited about finding it in the local library.

Sadly I didn't find this book half as engaging as the previous ones. Although there were plenty if "exciting" moments I actually found the whole thing a bit boring. Which is a real shame!
Aug 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I'm really enjoying this series as well (tends to be a lot of that lately.) It does seem as if it is already maturing some even though it is only on book 3, but it remains very witty. This book could almost stand alone without the other two outside the series, even though the background information would be a big plus.
Gina (Weena)
May 01, 2009 Gina (Weena) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Garnet Lacey books just keep getting better every time. This one was still a little Corny sometimes, but very entertaining. I love the settings in the book, and the interaction between all of the characters. You've got humour, suspense, romance, mystery, and even a little action. I can't wait for more.
  • Charmed & Ready (Bronwyn the Witch, #2)
  • Your Coffin or Mine? (Dead End Dating #3)
  • Sucker Bet (Vegas Vampires, #4)
  • Last Vampire Standing (Oldest City Vampire, #2)
  • Real Vampires Live Large (Glory St. Clair, #2)
  • A Stroke of Magic (Magic, #2)
  • Wait Till Your Vampire Gets Home (Broken Heart #4)
  • Barely Bewitched (Southern Witch, #2)
  • Hex Appeal (Hex #2)
  • Gone with the Witch (Triplet Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • Lady & the Vamp (Immortality Bites, #3)
  • Accidentally Dead (Accidentals, #2)
A Scorpio with a Leo Rising, Tate Hallaway is an amateur astrologer and practicing Witch. Tate has been a fan of vampire fiction since she first read Poppy Z. Brite in high school. Her first short fiction acceptance was to a vampire ‘zine called Nocturnal Ecstasy Vampire Coven. Tate lives in Saint Paul, Minnesota with three black cats.

This author also writes science fiction under the name Lyda Mor
More about Tate Hallaway...

Garnet Lacey (6 books)
  • Tall, Dark  &  Dead (Garnet Lacey, #1)
  • Dead Sexy (Garnet Lacey, #2)
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Dead If I Do (Garnet Lacey, #4)
  • Honeymoon of the Dead (Garnet Lacey, #5)