Start by marking “Romancing the Dead” as Want to Read:
Romancing the Dead

Romancing the Dead (Garnet Lacey #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,756 ratings  ·  69 reviews
What's not to adore about a heroine who frets equally about the Vatican and ripped pantyhose, a herbalist who dresses like one of the Jets in West Side Story and a fascinating 'other world' most of us could never imagine, much less write about?
Published 2008 by Headline Review

To ask other readers questions about Romancing the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romancing the Dead

Lissa Smith
It is a great page-turning read. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next Garnet book! Garnet Lacey is just a fun character all around.
Terri
This book is a mismash of witches, goddesses, vampires, ghouls, and a plot that doesn't have much substance. Good for a mindless read but not much else.
Brandi ;)
Eh...there could be spoilers in this review...depends on what you call spoilers so if you don't want to know anything about the book, don't read this. If you've already read it and want to hear my opinion, read on. I def liked this one a lot more than the 1st 2 in the series. I like the way the author writes, she puts plenty oh humor in with out it being annoying. The love scenes are thankfully not in massive detail. Just enough to make you purr when needed. I really like the main character, Gar ...more
Marlee
I really liked reading this one it wasn't a fast paced book with tons of action or full of sex scenes or anything of popular mainstream demands of books.

It was origional and you grow with the character each time a book comes out in this series. I have known people that were upset that this book wasn't like all the others where you would know the character inside and out. I love this idea of growing with the character as she finds out more about herself and how the world "views" others.

There is n
This is the third book in the Garnet Lacey series & continues on a few months after the end of Dead Sexy. I'd recommend reading the series in order - although this review won't give spoilers for Romancing the Dead it will include spoilers for previous books so I wouldn't recommend reading further if you've not read the previous books.

Sebastian and Garnet have just got engaged but with Garnet's track record that doesn't mean everything is going to go smoothly. She is still struggling with jea
Kathy
Sebastian asks Garnet to marry him… and she says yes, but with reservations… and they decide to start a new coven… they get 11 people, including William – her coworker - (for a total of 13 counting them) at their first meeting… Garnet is aware of a coyote that crosses her path numerous times.

Sebastian is missing… he doesn’t show up to a horticulture meeting or at home… and then Matyas (his son) shows up – he is also concerned about his dad… Matyas & Garnet make an uneasy peace, and work toge
Theresa
This is the third book in the Garnet Lacey series and Garnet's life is moving into the fast lane -- she's negotiating to buy the occult bookstore that she's been managing and her she is officially engaged to Sebastian. But now he is missing.

Garnet isn't quite sure what has happened to him. Was he done in by his son -- who ratted him and Garnet out to the Vatican witch hunters in exchange for a Jag? Had he run off with someone else? Or, had something horrible happened to him?

And, there's this wer
April
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

Another book with a lot going on, but this time the pace is much better. The whole engagement was a cold start, a little jump forward in the storyline.

I am getting used to Garnet and Sebastian, not my first choice, but I am warming up to him. Loved the whole missing storyline, it lead to two other plots, that did not disappoint!

A little bit of smexy time mixed in makes for a happy romance reader. Yummy steam that is just this side of too h
Elizabeth
Nov 27, 2008 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I’m on the top of the world. The Vatican witch hunters think I’m dead, the FBI has closed my file, I might get to buy the occult bookstore I manage, I’m co-founding a brand-new coven—and the vampire I love has just proposed. How lucky can a girl get?

Wait, wai—Oh, crap. I’ve jinxed myself. My fiancé, Sebastian, is missing and I’m worried sick. Has he been kidnapped? Or could he have run off with that leggy blonde from the coven?

Now I’ll have to seek the help of my future stepson—the same brat w
Kristen
I really enjoyed this third installment in Garnet's story! This one was quite a bit faster-paced with a lot of of excitement as Garnet tries to discover what's happened to Sebastian, who's disappeared.

There is a very interesting progression of both Garnet's character and the relationship between her and Sebastian in this book. Also there are a variety of supporting characters in this story who are nearly as fascinating as the main characters.

The plot really moves fast in this story, and I read i
Angela Liana
my favorite in the series so far. I did not like the first book too much, enjoyed the second one, and absolutely loved this one. this series is like a fine wine, I guess.
Lori Whitwam
Tate Hallaway is fun to read. Breezy, clever style and humor, and Garnet is a total trip. A witch (previously on the run from Vatican assassins) in Madison, Wisconsin, and newly engaged to a vampire, what's she going to do when he goes missing, and magical attacks on her come at every turn? Is it someone in her newly-forming coven? And what about that dog-like animal she keeps seeing? The Goddess Lilith, who resides within Garnet, is getting restless, too, and that can make things crazy. Trying ...more
Tara
Loved this book it is fun from start to finish. I own this one and another in the series and hope to own them all eventually just because they are so much fun to read.
Julie (jjmachshev)
Not as good as the first two in this series. These are more a chick-lit genre than romance or erotica.

Garnet's life is going well. She's considering buying the magic bookstore she runs, she's come to terms with the Goddess Lilith she carries inside her, and her vampire lover, Sebastian, just proposed to her! Life is great...until Sebastian disappears, someone is trying to kill Garnet, and a big ole' dog keeps 'dogging' her steps! What's going on?

As I mentioned, not as good as the first two. Garn
S.N. Arly
Classified as bit-lit (romance involving supernatural creatures, in this case vampires), this is the third in the Garnet Lacey series. It's a fun and engaging read, and is the strongest of the three to date. There's less romance and there are more direct attacks on Garnet than we saw in the previous two books. The world and characters are wonderfully quirky and realistic. There were some surprises along the way, though the ending was pretty straightforward (which is not a problem since it doesn' ...more
Lady Ozma
This has been my favourite Hallaway book yet. The character growth along the series so far has been great and the story just gets more interesting with each new installment.

In this one, Garnet is set to move on with her life now that she isn't as worried about the authorities (federal and vatican both) hot for her hide. Her vamp has popped the question, she's trying to buy the store, and she's hoping to start a new coven.

Of course just when life seems to quiet down, things tend to go kablooey. A
Emily
Aug 08, 2009 Emily rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: oblivious white people
While I agree that this book was better written than the previous two, I did not enjoy the cultural appropriation of Native American religion. It's one thing for an author to do (obviously a lot of) research about Wicca and the history of witchcraft and write a book; it's quite another to start grabbing your characters from active religions without any real research to advance your plot. I wish the author would get back to writing thought-provoking hard SF; I miss her stuff.
Kieraanne
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first two. I vaguely remember not really liking her vamp love interest, I preferred her ex who was a character in the first two. Now that he's gone the story just wasn't as engaging. Especially since the whole book is wrapped up in her looking for Sebastian, whom I didn't really care for. It also seemed like they were making a huge leap in the their relationship that seemed unwarranted given how much they knew about each other.
Amanda
While not as good as the first two books (mostly because hottie Sebastian is absent for much of the story) still a great read and an interesting turn on the Garnet character as she contemplates marriage with a vampire and her inner Goddess. Although it seems the more she opens up to people the more trouble she gets into. Perhaps Garnet should keep her mouth shut about her vampire boyfriend and harbored Goddess. The she would not attract so much negative attention.
Broodingferret
This was not as good as the last two, which says a lot considering the last two weren't exactly stelar literature. The protagonist came across as far more vapid and whiny than I remembered her being, but that may just be a result of having waited so long between books. I also found the plot to be cheesy and predictable, and I hated the concept behind the primary vampire character. Meh, I'm glad I got it for about $1 out of some bargain bin.
Lindsay
I just love this series. And I love Garnet more with each book. Knowing there are only 2 left sucks. I am just so upset with myself for not giving this series more time earlier on. I loved the story line in this with the Trickster and Garnet. I feel like her struggles are something any one would go through. So its what I imagine a normal person would go through if everything that went bump in the night were real.
This book was very exciting, Garnet's fiance goes missing and someone is attacking her magically. Not to mention the mysterious Micah who claims to be able to rid her of her Goddess-in-residence. She tries to start a new coven and crazy things begin to happen. She has to enlist the help of her fiance's son Matayas who really doesn't like her. I wonder sometimes how Garnet manages to not get herself killed!
Dena
So, I have been reading the reviews on this series. I love this series. But! If you are a somewhat serious person that cannot find humor in someone's not so bright decisions... trust me... this is not the series for you. I tend to like quirkiness and comedy. So, this series is perfect for me. But trust me... this is not a series for everyone. :0)
Kathy Hiester
I love paranormal romance and in Tate Halloway 3rd installment of the "Garnet" she finally seems to get her happy ending with Sebastien her vampire love. The story was drawn out and it took great discipline to keep on reading. There were several instances where I thought "just get to it already". All in all the book was typical chick out.
3 stars
Kerry
This was okay, I think that I would have been better off starting with the first two books, but for picking it up halfway through, the back story was explained enough to get by. Not my usual genre, and I didn't find myself wanting to get the other books in the series after this one was over as I could not relate to Garnet.
Clare
It's been a few years since I read the first two books in this series and I was quite excited about finding it in the local library.

Sadly I didn't find this book half as engaging as the previous ones. Although there were plenty if "exciting" moments I actually found the whole thing a bit boring. Which is a real shame!
I'm really enjoying this series as well (tends to be a lot of that lately.) It does seem as if it is already maturing some even though it is only on book 3, but it remains very witty. This book could almost stand alone without the other two outside the series, even though the background information would be a big plus.
Weena
The Garnet Lacey books just keep getting better every time. This one was still a little Corny sometimes, but very entertaining. I love the settings in the book, and the interaction between all of the characters. You've got humour, suspense, romance, mystery, and even a little action. I can't wait for more.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Even though it is the third in the series and I haven't read the first two I still enjoyed it a lot. The characters were intriguing and at times humorous. I liked the way Hallaway incorporated god/goddess incarnates into the story, very interesting to read.
Mary
First time reading this author. Quirky characters and strange happenings make for an interesting read.
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)
  • Real Vampires Live Large (Glory St. Clair, #2)
  • Your Coffin or Mine? (Dead End Dating, #3)
  • Bit the Jackpot (Vegas Vampires, #2)
  • Last Vampire Standing (Oldest City Vampire, #2)
  • Lady & the Vamp (Immortality Bites, #3)
  • The Scot, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Accidental Witch Trilogy, #3)
  • Barely Bewitched (Southern Witch #2)
  • Over My Dead Body (Broken Heart, #5)
  • Hex Appeal (Hex, #2)
  • Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2)
  • A Stroke of Magic (Magic, #2)
A Scorpio with a Leo Rising, Tate Hallaway is an amateur astrologer and practicing Witch. Tate has been a fan of vampire fiction since she first read Poppy Z. Brite in high school. Her first short fiction acceptance was to a vampire ‘zine called Nocturnal Ecstasy Vampire Coven. Tate lives in Saint Paul, Minnesota with three black cats.

This author also writes science fiction under the name Lyda Mor
More about Tate Hallaway...
Almost to Die For (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #1) Tall, Dark  &  Dead (Garnet Lacey, #1) Dead Sexy (Garnet Lacey, #2) Almost Final Curtain (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #2) Dead If I Do (Garnet Lacey, #4)