Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships

Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Ashley Stanford is married to a man with Asperger Syndrome, and her book provides the answers to many of the questions asked by the increasing number of people in that situation. She explains how behaviors that may have appeared odd - or even downright irritating - are the manifestation of AS, and shows how understanding can lead to greater tolerance or to change. Stanford...more
Published December 20th 2002 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published November 15th 2002)

Becca Anne
Oct 01, 2007 Becca Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone is a relationship with someone with Asperger syndrome
This book saved my marriage. Ashley explains what is going on from both perspectives, and ways to cope. She really helped me understand why my husband did/said the things he did. It allowed me to regain my own empathy for my husband and forgive him, and forgive myself for the way we had been blindly stumbing around in the dark not understanding the damage we were causing to each other. Invaluable information!
Leslie Betz
Wow! what a beautiful, informative, insightful, funny, heart-breaking book! From an NT (neuro-typical) standpoint, she writes from her perspective of being married to a man with Asperger's Syndrome. You will learn so much if you read this book! Plus, the author holds the delicate balance of both teacher and someone to empathize with.
Rosetta
I'd like to give it 3.5 stars ideally - it is a good book, and I appreciate how the author has set everything out in an orderly, almost clinical fashion, describing the different facets of aspie behaviour (and the effects on the relationship) separately. Clearly a lot of good thought and effort went into it, but it is not a technical book. It is not based on much research, only anecodtal evidence, personal experience and some reports from friends it seems. In fact many of the sections describe t...more
Megan
I'm pursuing graduate coursework related to autism and special education with plans to pursue a master's in ABA. From personal and professional experience, I'm also really interested in adults with AS and how differences impact personal relationships (work, friendship, dating/marriage). This was an insightful book written by a neurotypical woman married to a man with AS. It addresses some of the challenges AS can present in intimate relationships.
Angela
One of the most practical books I have ever read on Asperger's Syndrome. Gives specific indicators of the condition in non-diagnosed adults as well as strategies to overcome flaws in communication between spouses or within families.
Sherry
I would recommend this book for those in a relationship with a mate diagnosed with Asperger's. It explains a great deal and has given me the understanding I need to cope with Asperger-related issues.
Sandee Clemons
One of the best books out there to explain how the autistic views life and relationships. I would recommend this to anyone that has an autistic in the family.
Noonie
EXCELLENT RESOURCE-FINALLY SOME REAL INSIGHT...AHA MOMENT FOR ME...
WILL LEND
Cassy
This is my aspie Bible.
Lezlee
Low content.
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Sid1983
Sid1983 marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
TC
TC marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Byrappa
Byrappa marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Suzanne Leslie
Suzanne Leslie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Business for Aspies: 42 Best Practices for Using Asperger Syndrome Traits at Work Troubleshooting Relationships on the Autism Spectrum: A User's Guide to Resolving Relationship Problems Business for Aspies: 42 Best Practices for Using Asperger Syndrome Traits at Work Successfully