Start by marking “Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships” as Want to Read:
Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships

Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships

Ashley Stanford is married to a man with Asperger Syndrome, and her book provides the answers to many of the questions asked by the increasing number of people in that situation. She explains how behaviors that may have appeared odd - or even downright irritating - are the manifestation of AS, and shows how understanding can lead to greater tolerance or to change. Stanford ...more
Published December 20th 2002 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published November 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships

Becca Anne
Oct 01, 2007 Becca Anne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone is a relationship with someone with Asperger syndrome
This book saved my marriage. Ashley explains what is going on from both perspectives, and ways to cope. She really helped me understand why my husband did/said the things he did. It allowed me to regain my own empathy for my husband and forgive him, and forgive myself for the way we had been blindly stumbing around in the dark not understanding the damage we were causing to each other. Invaluable information!
Rebecca Bradley
Oct 22, 2014 Rebecca Bradley rated it liked it
You can tell that this book was written with a lot of love and care and with the best of intentions. The author wants neuro-typical adults and adults on the autism spectrum who are in relationships, to maintain healthy and long-living relationships. The book chapters are managed around the diagnostic criteria and there is a lot of great advice and personal stories to back up the advice.provided. It also states at the end that the authors husband who is on the autistic spectrum read every word an ...more
Amanda Freeman
Sep 21, 2014 Amanda Freeman rated it liked it
Shelves: self-interest
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review.

You can clearly tell that a lot of love and research went into this book, and I respect that immensely. I am sure it would be a wonderful resource for someone in a relationship with someone who has Aspberger's. Sadly this book let me down, I was hoping that it would not only help a NT person with dealing with an Aspie's many quirks and trials, but also help an Aspie deal with their NT partner. There are plenty of examples of behavior a
Camilla
Jan 08, 2017 Camilla rated it it was amazing
This book is a life-changer for me. It's quite a narrowly focused book; it's appeal is not going to be universal by any means; but it was exactly what I needed in a tough spot. I had been married only a few years, and an inexplicable breach between me and the husband I loved and was becoming wider and wider. All my efforts to close it seemed only to widen it, including professional counseling. This book gave me understanding of the problem and some suggestions on what I can do. I was alone, and ...more
Leslie Betz
Sep 17, 2012 Leslie Betz rated it it was amazing
Wow! what a beautiful, informative, insightful, funny, heart-breaking book! From an NT (neuro-typical) standpoint, she writes from her perspective of being married to a man with Asperger's Syndrome. You will learn so much if you read this book! Plus, the author holds the delicate balance of both teacher and someone to empathize with.
Rosetta
May 05, 2013 Rosetta rated it really liked it
I'd like to give it 3.5 stars ideally - it is a good book, and I appreciate how the author has set everything out in an orderly, almost clinical fashion, describing the different facets of aspie behaviour (and the effects on the relationship) separately. Clearly a lot of good thought and effort went into it, but it is not a technical book. It is not based on much research, only anecodtal evidence, personal experience and some reports from friends it seems. In fact many of the sections describe t ...more
Megan
Apr 08, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
I'm pursuing graduate coursework related to autism and special education with plans to pursue a master's in ABA. From personal and professional experience, I'm also really interested in adults with AS and how differences impact personal relationships (work, friendship, dating/marriage). This was an insightful book written by a neurotypical woman married to a man with AS. It addresses some of the challenges AS can present in intimate relationships.
Sherry
Sep 14, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it
Shelves: aspergers, self-help
I would recommend this book for those in a relationship with a mate diagnosed with Asperger's. It explains a great deal and has given me the understanding I need to cope with Asperger-related issues.
Stephanie
May 27, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Definitely a useful book for those who have an AS spouse. I will be reading it again with a highlighter and a notebook as there were helpful tools for me and one I will be sharing with my spouse to get his take on how he relates to the examples in the book so I can better understand him.
Angela
Mar 26, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
One of the most practical books I have ever read on Asperger's Syndrome. Gives specific indicators of the condition in non-diagnosed adults as well as strategies to overcome flaws in communication between spouses or within families.
Noonie
Feb 23, 2013 Noonie rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT RESOURCE-FINALLY SOME REAL INSIGHT...AHA MOMENT FOR ME...
WILL LEND
Sandee Clemons
Nov 02, 2008 Sandee Clemons rated it it was amazing
One of the best books out there to explain how the autistic views life and relationships. I would recommend this to anyone that has an autistic in the family.
Tim
Nov 18, 2016 Tim rated it it was amazing
Good job even if written by an NT ;)
Lezlee
Jan 28, 2013 Lezlee rated it it was ok
Low content.
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2008
Rebekah Stein
Rebekah Stein rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Timid
Timid rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Carly
Carly rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2017
Krista James
Krista James rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Ben Mack
Ben Mack rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Brook&diane
Brook&diane rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2013
Amanda Slocum
Amanda Slocum rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2016
Brad
Brad rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Mohammed Al-Sha'Lan
Mohammed Al-Sha'Lan rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2016
Natálie Ficencová
Natálie Ficencová rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Sam Rose
Sam Rose rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Cyndi
Cyndi rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
How about some rephrasing? 1 1 Feb 24, 2017 08:15PM
  • Aspergers in Love
  • Asperger's on the Job: Must-have Advice for People with Asperger's or High Functioning Autism, and their Employers, Educators, and Advocates
  • Developing Talents: Careers for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • Aquamarine Blue 5: Personal Stories of College Students with Autism
  • The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Alone Together: Making an Asperger Marriage Work
  • Pretending to Be Normal: Living with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety: A Guide to Successful Stress Management
  • Atypical: Life with Asperger's in 20 1/3 Chapters
  • Autism & Asperger's Syndrome in Layman's Terms. Your Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, PDD-NOS and Other Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs).
  • Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story
  • Girls Growing Up on the Autism Spectrum: What Parents and Professionals Should Know About the Pre-Teen and Teenage Years
  • The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul
  • Neurodiversity: Discovering the Extraordinary Gifts of Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Brain Differences
  • Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism