Start by marking “Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The latest release from 2004 ASA Professional of the Year, Brenda Smith Myles, co-authored by Jack Southwick. This expanded and revised edition of a now classical work provides in-depth and insightful solutions for both parents and educators. In addition to almost doubling the section on interventions, this highly practical and user-friendly resource also focuses on the be ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Autism Asperger Publishing Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments

Kristi Ann
If I could recommend only one book for parents and teachers of children with autism, it would be Difficult Moments.

This book changed our lives. I read it shortly after my oldest child was diagnosed at age 8. At the time I was confused about how handle meltdowns. The (often unsolicited) advice I received was critical of my gentle, accommodating style of parenting, implying this was WHY my child was having negative behaviors. He was, they said, "manipulating" me so I needed to "not give into him"
Virginia
Dec 05, 2012 Virginia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of ANY difficult child
My child does not have Asperger, but I wish I had read this book years ago!! This book is so helpful for ANY parent dealing with difficult moments that ordinary parenting books just don't seem to cover. If you know your child shows rage, meltdowns, etc. that are atypical and all the usual parenting solutions just DON"T work, give this book a try. I feel like my eyes have been opened. It is not an easy fix, but at least I feel like I have a road to travel down.

I rarely buy books, but I will this
Arlene Lauper
Excellent, excellent, excellent book. Every parent, teacher, caregiver or family member should take the time to read this book. Incredibly valuable information and resources compiled in one place. Life changing and eye opening for me. Raising an exceptionally special child with AS (love that lingo) is a daunting task, but this book provides real solutions and concrete intervention sources to assist the child's wraparound support team. I can't recommend this book enough!
Mrs. Missive
This is one of the first books I've read on Aspergers specifically. It's a short book, so it's not really intimidating to try and conquer. The definitions are to the point, it has ideas on how to deal with your day-to-day issues, and really puts some tools in your hands.

I borrowed this from the library, but I have a feeling I will be visiting my local bookstore to have this bad boy for my shelf.

5 stars.
Su
I have to admit that I was a little disappointed in this book. I was looking for concrete strategies on handling melt downs. While this book held a few helpful tips, it seemed more theoretical. Every chapter suggested more books to read. I read THIS book to learn how to help my son. Not to learn which books I should have read instead. The book was also written more for teachers or professionals.
Carrie Lynne
Awesome little book (100 pages) packed with information. Easy-to-read format for people who are learning about Asperger's Syndrome for the first time, or just need a "refresher". I give this to teachers I work with regularly to learn about Aspergers and gather some useful tools to use as well.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
If you are looking for a book to assist with handling a child with behavior issues this is YOUR BOOK. Solid practical advice from a variety of viewpoints (you'll see stuff in here that looks like ABA, RDI, etc). Great suggestions and plans. This is a MUST buy!
Annette Walker
I don't know what I would have done without this book. This was so great for helping me understand "neurological storms" and the techniques have helped me learn how to recongize the signs of a melt down and avoid them.
Briana
Apr 21, 2010 Briana marked it as to-read
Shelves: need-to-proof
“Miles' Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments is more approriate to school aged children”
Mistelle
Mistelle marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Feb 16, 2015
Jan Campbell
Jan Campbell marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Katie
Katie added it
Jan 04, 2015
Julie Schlumpf
Julie Schlumpf marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Jennifer Dame
Jennifer Dame marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
1 1 4 Dec 15, 2009 02:39PM
The Hidden Curriculum: Practical Solutions for Understanding Unstated Rules in Social Situations Asperger Syndrome and Sensory Issues: Practical Solutions for Making Sense of the World Simple Strategies That Work!: Helpful Hints for All Educators of Students with Asperger Syndrome, High-Functioning Autism, and Related Disabilities Asperger Syndrome and Adolescence: Practical Solutions for School Success Asperger Syndrome: A Guide for Educators and Parents