Start by marking “Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The latest release from 2004 ASA Professional of the Year, Brenda Smith Myles, co-authored by Jack Southwick. This expanded and revised edition of a now classical work provides in-depth and insightful solutions for both parents and educators. In addition to almost doubling the section on interventions, this highly practical and user-friendly resource also focuses on the be ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Autism Asperger Publishing Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments

Kristi Ann
Feb 23, 2014 Kristi Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could recommend only one book for parents and teachers of children with autism, it would be Difficult Moments.

This book changed our lives. I read it shortly after my oldest child was diagnosed at age 8. At the time I was confused about how handle meltdowns. The (often unsolicited) advice I received was critical of my gentle, accommodating style of parenting, implying this was WHY my child was having negative behaviors. He was, they said, "manipulating" me so I needed to "not give into him"
Virginia
Dec 05, 2012 Virginia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents of ANY difficult child
My child does not have Asperger, but I wish I had read this book years ago!! This book is so helpful for ANY parent dealing with difficult moments that ordinary parenting books just don't seem to cover. If you know your child shows rage, meltdowns, etc. that are atypical and all the usual parenting solutions just DON"T work, give this book a try. I feel like my eyes have been opened. It is not an easy fix, but at least I feel like I have a road to travel down.

I rarely buy books, but I will this
Arlene Lauper
Oct 25, 2014 Arlene Lauper rated it it was amazing
Excellent, excellent, excellent book. Every parent, teacher, caregiver or family member should take the time to read this book. Incredibly valuable information and resources compiled in one place. Life changing and eye opening for me. Raising an exceptionally special child with AS (love that lingo) is a daunting task, but this book provides real solutions and concrete intervention sources to assist the child's wraparound support team. I can't recommend this book enough!
Mrs. Missive
Jan 20, 2011 Mrs. Missive rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first books I've read on Aspergers specifically. It's a short book, so it's not really intimidating to try and conquer. The definitions are to the point, it has ideas on how to deal with your day-to-day issues, and really puts some tools in your hands.

I borrowed this from the library, but I have a feeling I will be visiting my local bookstore to have this bad boy for my shelf.

5 stars.
Su
Dec 07, 2012 Su rated it it was ok
I have to admit that I was a little disappointed in this book. I was looking for concrete strategies on handling melt downs. While this book held a few helpful tips, it seemed more theoretical. Every chapter suggested more books to read. I read THIS book to learn how to help my son. Not to learn which books I should have read instead. The book was also written more for teachers or professionals.
Carrie Lynne
Awesome little book (100 pages) packed with information. Easy-to-read format for people who are learning about Asperger's Syndrome for the first time, or just need a "refresher". I give this to teachers I work with regularly to learn about Aspergers and gather some useful tools to use as well.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Oct 24, 2010 Jo * Smut-Dickted * rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autism-aspergers
If you are looking for a book to assist with handling a child with behavior issues this is YOUR BOOK. Solid practical advice from a variety of viewpoints (you'll see stuff in here that looks like ABA, RDI, etc). Great suggestions and plans. This is a MUST buy!
Annette Walker
Jul 29, 2011 Annette Walker rated it it was amazing
I don't know what I would have done without this book. This was so great for helping me understand "neurological storms" and the techniques have helped me learn how to recongize the signs of a melt down and avoid them.
Briana
Apr 21, 2010 Briana marked it as to-read
Shelves: need-to-proof
“Miles' Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments is more approriate to school aged children”
Nancy (Colorado)
Jul 12, 2009 Nancy (Colorado) rated it liked it
For school
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Elizabeth Segroves
Elizabeth Segroves is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Nikki And
Nikki And marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Ala
Ala marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Melissa Davenport
Melissa Davenport marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Nick Lascelles
Nick Lascelles marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Nospin
Nospin marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Lynette
Lynette marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
NEILE L CONNERY
NEILE L CONNERY rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Isabel Alvarez
Isabel Alvarez marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Barbara Thomen
Barbara Thomen marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Sequaciouslyaloof
Sequaciouslyaloof marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
toni daphne jones
toni daphne jones rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Jenny
Jenny added it
Jan 02, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
SpookyBoogie
SpookyBoogie marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Elizabeth Aber
Elizabeth Aber rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2015
1 1 4 Dec 15, 2009 02:39PM
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • The Incredible 5-point Scale: Assisting Children with ASDs in Understanding Social Interactions and Controlling Their Emotional Responses
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
  • Developing Talents: Careers for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Kids in the Syndrome Mix
  • Asperger's on the Job: Must-have Advice for People with Asperger's or High Functioning Autism, and their Employers, Educators, and Advocates
  • Thinking About You Thinking About Me: Philosophy and strategies to further develop perspective taking and communicative abilities for persons with Asperger ... Autism, Hyperlexia, ADHD, PDD-NOS, NVLD
  • The ADHD-Autism Connection: A Step Toward More Accurate Diagnoses and Effective Treatments
  • Different Like Me: My Book of Autism Heroes
  • Elijah's Cup: A Family's Journey into the Community and Culture of High-functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome (Revised edition)
  • No More Meltdowns: Positive Strategies for Dealing with and Preventing Out-Of-Control Behavior
  • You're Going to Love This Kid!: Teaching Children with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • Behavioral Intervention for Young Children with Autism: A Manual for Parents and Professionals