Start by marking “Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)” as Want to Read:
Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)

Eternity's End (Star Rigger #6)

Jeffrey A. Carver, author of The Infinity Link and The Rapture Effect, returns with a new science fiction epic set against a sweeping backdrop of interstellar war, space piracy, and star-spanning conspiracy.

After seven years of captivity at the hands of interstellar pirates, Star Rigger Renwald Legroeder escapes to the Centrist Worlds, thinking himself free to return to ri

Published October 14th 2001 by Tor Science Fiction (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Eternity's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eternity's End

Dirk Grobbelaar

The star rigger's Flux: a higher-dimensional realm where reality and fantasy became strangely merged, where landscapes of the mind intersected with the real fabric of space, where space itself flowed and surged with movement—and where a rigger's skills could vault him across light-years, or send him spiraling to his death.

I love seeking out the lost gems in Science Fiction. This is only the second Carver book I’ve read, but it was the first I became aware of. I actually saw the Stephen Youll cov
Jenny Clark
Jan 26, 2017 Jenny Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Carver's novels, and this was no exception. Lots of description of space, The Flux and space ships. All I could think of the Kyber as though were Borg though. There were some parts that felt a little clumsy, mostly anything romantic, but that did not detract from my overall enjoyment.
I do also wish there would have been a little more description of the different alien cultures, as there were quite a few mentioned. At lest the Fabri and Narsail could have been more described.
I also would
Bill
Aug 26, 2008 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the 1st Rigger's Space novel I have read. It's entertaining, modern space opera. I plan to read the remaining Rigger novels.
James Broussard
Feb 22, 2012 James Broussard rated it it was amazing
I was really in the mood for some space opera when I read this book, so don't go too much by the score I gave it.
Larry
Aug 14, 2012 Larry rated it it was ok
It felt like I was reading a juvenile. Simplistic plot and characters.
It's hard to say why I finished all 650 pages.
Roddy Williams
‘In the century since the devastating War of a Thousand Suns, humanity has stagnated, staying in the cocoon of the Centrist Worlds while the rapacious pirates of Golen Space prey on ships that venture too far into the interstellar flux. And starship Impris, lost in the war years, has become the stuff of legend – used by the pirates as bait, even as the Centrist authorities deny her existence.
Renwald Legroeder, escaped prisoner and star rigger pilot, has seen what the government doesn’t want anyo
Walter Underwood
Had to give up about 1/3 of the way through. I thought turgid tomes were a fantasy speciality, but this is one in space opera. But some people obviously like long books that describe everything. Maybe this is your book.
Traze
Apr 15, 2013 Traze rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Eternity's End is a Space Opera Sci-Fi book written by Jeffrey Carver. It's part of Carver's Star Rigger universe but it's a standalone book in the sense that you don't have to be familiar with any of the other books in the Star-rigger series to follow the plot. Eternity's End is set in a fictional universe, wherein humans can perform interstellar travel through 'rigging'. Rigging is heavily influenced by actual marine travel, so be prepared to find a lot of marine analogies. To rig, one must cl ...more
Gary Sedivy
Sep 21, 2016 Gary Sedivy rated it it was amazing
Action packed story. I liked the lead character, Legroeder. The story reminds me of some of Cordwainer Smith science fiction stories about the mysteries of space travel. The ideas of 'riggers' dealing with the Flux to fly the ships is reminiscent of the Cordwainer 'skanners', and the stories such as 'The Game of Rat and Dragon.' I consider this high praise (Cordwainer Smith is my favorite SciFi author, with some of the best imagery and stories I've ever read).
The story of Legroeder's escape fro
Margaret Mcnulty-beldyk
Aug 09, 2012 Margaret Mcnulty-beldyk rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books of all time when I was a teenager; I'm currently re-reading it for the 10 billionth time and it stands the test of time fairly well. It's a good, entertaining story that keeps me interested and doesn't drag, and the world is beautifully created with lots of good imagery that doesn't bog you down with description. The story also brings up political and philosophical concerns that are near and dear to my heart. I will say some of the characters are a bit flat -- t ...more
Mrklingon
Nov 23, 2015 Mrklingon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera
I've really been enjoying the Star Rigger Universe since picking up a bargain priced Dragons in the Stars, and this was no exception. Carver's hallucinatory almost-fantasy realm of the "Flux" through which ships ply faster than light travel is, to the best of my knowledge, a unique setting for science fiction. I appreciate too, that even though there are battles and interplanetary intrigue, these are not yet another MilSF battleship saga.

The twists and turns for Legroeder - fugitive from pirates
Lyle Nicholson
Mar 23, 2015 Lyle Nicholson rated it liked it
This is a very long book, it's actually 4 books in one, with multiple journeys of the protagonist first fleeing from capture, then traveling to other planet systems on adventures.

I thought at one point that the story was going off in too many directions, and then the author brought everything back at the end to tie it all together. There are lot of characters in this book, and at sometimes it felt like there were too many.

I think I would have liked this book more if Carver had taken out about 20
Brian
Nov 26, 2012 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This one is hard to pigeon hole.

In places it's quite morally ambiguous, and adult in the lack of clear conclusions.

In others it's over simple, like bad YA.

While the characters don't always ring true, it is an entertaining story, and an interesting backdrop that's at least partially filled out.

A solid three and a half stars you might just enjoy more than I did.
Ken Rideout
Jun 28, 2009 Ken Rideout rated it liked it
Decent sci fi - a fun summer read. I especially liked some of the "hard sci fi " elements: how they pilot ships through the "flux" (like 3D sailing in a storm) and how the computer-human "augments" interfaces work. Good enough to look for others by this author but not good enough to recommend to non sci fi fans!
Beijan
Nov 07, 2016 Beijan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique Twist on Interstellar Travel

Entertaining story that was written pretty well. Both theme and plot are pretty strong if somewhat simple. The author glossed over some of the more complicated political intricacies, choosing to spend more energy on his description of Rigging in space. Over all, it was an enjoyable novel and worth reading.
kenneth  h.  robinson
SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE AND OF THOSE INHABITANTS IN IT

Politics and secret and open differences of opinions among the inhabitants, human and non-human propel the actions and events of the novel. Riggers who work at getting ships safely from one place to another are under stress both professional, personal, psychological and political.
Benjamin Kelly
Jul 15, 2012 Benjamin Kelly rated it it was amazing
Eternity's End is a high-space adventure that hearkens back to the days of sailing ships, complete with space pirates and romance too. This is one of those rare books that has stuck with me long after I finished reading. I enjoyed it from cover to cover and hope to find time to read it again someday.
kvon
Jul 26, 2009 kvon rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Space opera with hyperspace travel, augmented humans, conspiring military. Prose was fairly pedestrian. The women kept falling in love with the everyday hero. Some cool ideas re high tech, imagery affecting the universe.
Chris Bull
Oct 03, 2016 Chris Bull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last in the series

I often don't read the final chapter, too often I read one of the preliminary volumes and get exhausted. Eternity's End works well as the final work. I got into the story line easily. Not a bad book.
Fred
Oct 19, 2012 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Fantastic world building with huge plot potential that somehow fails to deliver and falls a little flat. Truthfully, I can't put my finger on where it went wrong but it definitely did.
World building - 5
Plot - 4
Character Development - 3
Everett Jr.
Mar 16, 2015 Everett Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting reading

Jeffrey Carver presents an interesting view of space travel and the future (s) of humanity. A great book to add to your reading list.
Fiannawolf
Jan 15, 2015 Fiannawolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hit all the right buttons with me. Will def. look into more Star Rigger books in the future.
William Lehman
Jan 31, 2015 William Lehman rated it liked it
It's a fun ride, nothing spectacular, but I'll get the rest of the series, I like the concept for FTL.
Cara Wallace
Really liked it, made me a Carver fan.
Michel Clasquin-Johnson
Classic space opera. Loved it!
James T
Jan 09, 2014 James T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
addictive read
Jeff Brand
Apr 07, 2014 Jeff Brand rated it it was amazing
Very fun read. Took me a bit to get past the "sailing in space" imagery that is used extensively, but once I did, it was a very good story.
Tom
Nov 26, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. It reminded me of Hal Clement and Heinlein who tried to potray humanoid aliens and alien environments in ways familiar to humans imagining what it might be like!
Cindy
Jan 12, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I bought this book several years ago just before boarding a plane. I have read it at least five times! I love it!
Tracy
Oct 12, 2016 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good characters and a fast paced plot.

You do start to care about the characters and the science is at least plausible. I am going to read the other books in the series.
  • Crescent City Rhapsody (Nanotech, #3)
  • Picoverse
  • Temporary Agency (Unquenchable Fire, #2)
  • Ragamuffin (Xenowealth, #2)
  • Deserted Cities of the Heart
  • The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)
  • Against Infinity (Jupiter Project, #2)
  • The Byworlder
  • Celestis
  • Mission Child
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • Assemblers of Infinity
  • Mars Crossing
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • Redshift Rendezvous
  • Juniper Time

Star Rigger (6 books)
  • Seas of Ernathe (Star Rigger, #6)
  • Star Rigger's Way (Star Rigger, #2)
  • Panglor (Star Rigger, #3)
  • Dragons in the Stars (Star Rigger, #2)
  • Dragon Rigger (Star Rigger, #3)

“The star rigger’s Flux: a higher-dimensional realm where reality and fantasy became strangely merged, where landscapes of the mind intersected with the real fabric of space, where space itself flowed and surged with movement—and where a rigger’s skills could vault him across light-years, or send him spiraling to his death.” 1 likes