Start by marking “The Bears' Picnic” as Want to Read:
The Bears' Picnic

The Bears' Picnic (The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books)

With the forces of nature conspiring against them, Papa Bear perseveres and finds the perfect spot for the Bear family picnic.
Published December 24th 2002 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 12th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Bears' Picnic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bears' Picnic

ABC
Mar 06, 2010 ABC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
This book is so funny! Father Bear keeps picking out the "perfect" picnic spot, and something always goes wrong. Mother Bear has the same expression on her face that I get when my husband spends half an hour picking out the "perfect" place to eat lunch.

My son immediately realized something was wrong with this book: "Where's Sister Bear?" "This was before she was born," I said. Then I showed him the copyright date--1966. "That was before I was born!" I told him. So this is indeed one of the class
Rebecca
Classic Berenstain Bears with Brother Bear being only "Small Bear". It is a typical early book of theirs, and my problems with the book's portrayal of fathers, doesn't change the fact that I like it. (Possibly balanced out by the portrayal of a child's obliviousness to their parents' shortcomings.) Fun to read, a good choice of words to flow smoothly and comical situations. I appreciate this book for it's style. It's not an epic adventure, but rather, some things just happened to them while they ...more
Manu
Mar 01, 2017 Manu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another osm book for kids. the father bear was just too great :D
Connie
Oct 12, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea why the Berenstains gave up these funny early readers for moralizing tales!

Modern day Berenstain bear books aren't as good as the older ones, that's for sure. Go on too long, and they all have a treacly moral at the end, and they're just not funny.

This is one of the original. Now, the cover there shows the newer, cutesified bears, but inside it has the old illustrations - with claws!

Anyway, the story progresses just about how you'd expect. Papa Bear wants to go on a picnic, every
Cassandra Gelvin
Papa Bear fails at being entertaining.

It's inane. Another older Berenstain Bears book with the older style of illustrations and an updated, misleading cover. Papa is taking Small Bear and Mother Bear out on a picnic. He keeps looking for the perfect spot and failing miserably every time. This is Papa Bear being an idiot again. It's really not that interesting to watch Papa Bear fail repeatedly. At the end they just go home again and eat there.

The best part: When they're at the top of a mountain,
Karen
Jan 03, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

I've never been a fan of Berenstain Bear book. They tend to be so saccharine that my stomach hurts, and they usually thump me over the head with a moral so hard they I end up with a headache. So why did this book make me laugh?

The answer is in the copyright date -- 1966. I am so sorry that the Berenstains did not stick to writing their stories like this one, and drawing their bears not like the ones on the cover but like the o
Barbara
Jun 03, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
In one of Stan and Jan Berenstains early reader books Papa Bear keeps trying to find the “perfect spot” for a picnic. Every time the family settles in to eat some kind of disaster happens whether it’s too many people invading the picnic spot or an army of mosquitoes flying in to picnic on the bears! Papa keeps his “can do” attitude, however, and even under a deluge of rain he still has a plan to find the “perfect spot”. The “perfect read” for beginning readers who are reading 2-4 sentences per p ...more
Beyond the Pages
Hilarious! This story was so funny.

What I Loved:

Papa Bear was so well-intentioned, but things always seemed to go haywire.

Mama Bear's expressions were priceless. (Hahaha...)

Brother Bear was so encouraging; he totally believeed his dad could do no wrong, even as he was subjected to all of the boggled attempts at finding the perfect picnic spot.

This book was a hoot and a half! Seriously.

I secured this title from my local library.
Sri
** spoiler alert **
Papa Bear mengajak keluarga Bear piknik. Papa Bear berjanji dia akan menemukan tempat terbaik untuk piknik mereka. Tapi Papa Bear ternyata keliru. Keliru lagi. Lagi dan lagi. Mama Bear makin lama makin kesal. Akhirnya Mama Bear juga yang berhasil menemukan tempat piknik yang sempurna. Tempat itu adalah rumah mereka :D.
Dolly
Jul 21, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: childrens, 2010
As I read this book to our girls, I had a flashback to reading it as a young child. I remember it quite vividly and I am sure that I read it several times. It's a funny story, and Father Bear, as usual, is stubborn and always picking the wrong place to go for the family picnic. Our girls really enjoyed this story too; it's a classic that has aged well.
Katharine
Nov 12, 2010 Katharine rated it really liked it
Shelves: son
The second book my son read completely on his own, after Hop on Pop. He judged the book by the cover, and wasn't interested at first. But as we started to read, he loved the silly story and we've read it several times now. Very good for early readers, I only helped with a couple of words such as "ought".
Lauren Brown
The Bears' Picnic is labeled to be a Beginner Book that can be read by the young student all by themselves, however I definitely feel that this book needs to be more towards the end of 1st grade. It is a very cute book with funny illustrations and cute rhyming text. It has a really nice flow to it, so it would be a great book to work on fluency with students.
Apr 17, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I just read this book to my four-year-old and almost-two-year-old daughters, and I could tell they loved it as much as I did as a kid! This was one of my favorites growing up. How could one picnic go so wrong? I love the expressions on Mother and Brother Bear as things progress from bad to worse. This is a fun read for all kids!
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Who can't sympathize with this book. The Dad of the family has a great idea for a fun outing for his family. And then one thing after another gets in the way. I think we have all been there and can all relate.
MJ
Alissa sat on the rug in her room looking through her bookcase and at an occasional book. I sat on her bed and read these 2 stories. Wow! What a liberating feeling!

The early Berenstain bears sure are scrawny. Petunia's great. She's so adventurous.
Val
Jan 10, 2012 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While browsing my library's Overdrive site I noticed that many of the Berenstain Bears books are now in ebook format. I was thrilled to check out and read this lovely book all over again, reminding me of how much fun this series can be!
Megan Ekins
A book full of rhyming and it is just a fun story about an adventure the family goes on to find the perfect picnic spot. The only thing I didn't like is how unhappy the Mom seemed on the adventure. I wanted her to be enjoying it too!
Pam
Mar 23, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the rhyming adventure in this story, and how the mom gets sick of the dad's shananigans at the end, and they end up picnicing in the kitchen - and HE takes credit for it. Really enjoyed rereading this one!!
Catarina
Everytime I researched children books these bears appeared do I decided to check a book or two to see what all the fuzz was about.
I found the book cute and funny, and I liked it that it rhymed. It's a cute children's book.
Kestrel Bling
Feb 02, 2013 Kestrel Bling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it
Aug 04, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-caden
I think this book has a special place in my heart when I read it to my son. I LOVED it as a child and remember wearing it into the ground!
Netanella
May 31, 2010 Netanella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Papa Bear is never satisfied with the location of the picnic and gives new understanding to why some women never marry.
This was a cute Berenstain Bears book. Papa Bear, as usual, just can't get a break.
Melanie
This one was a favorite of mine growing up. My daughter likes it, but not as much as I did. That's okay, I still have time to read it to her and show her how funny it all is.
Markus
May 10, 2013 Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mama Bear's facial expressions are priceless in this book. I like the old Berenstain Bears so much better.
Julie
Jul 14, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A silly, rhyming book that takes readers on a journey that seems as though it will never end!
Buffie
Jan 04, 2013 Buffie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an early version of the Berenstain family dynamic.
Oliver
Nov 07, 2015 Oliver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was funny that he said to come in here because it was raining, but just when he said it, boom, lightning struck right in the middle of the little tunnel.
Caralee
  • Cat Traps (Step-Into-Reading, Step 1)
  • Happy Birthday, Thomas! (Thomas & Friends)
  • The Berenstain Bears: All Aboard!
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • Happy Birthday, Little Pookie
  • Welcome to the Zoo!
  • Oliver
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • The Tale of Custard the Dragon
  • Shoes from Grandpa
  • Stop that Ball!
  • Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • Dogerella
  • The Three Bears
  • Curious George Plants a Seed (CGTV Reader)
  • Bears in Beds
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books (8 books)
  • The Big Honey Hunt