Start by marking “Kingdom's Swords (Starfist, #7)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom's Swords (Starfist, #7)

Kingdom's Swords (Starfist #7)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The Marines were told it was a simple peasant rebellion–
but the mission proved to be far deadlier. . . .

Gunny Charlie Bass isn’t the only Marine mystified by the order sending the entire 34th to put down a few seditious serfs on planet Kingdom. Rumors swirl of a deadly alien invasion. But few believe that such sentient beings exist. Except Gunny Bass and the Marines of t
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published April 29th 2002 by Del Rey (first published April 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom's Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom's Swords

Per Gunnar
As usual David Sherman’s books in the Starfist series are solid books making for some good reading. The marine grunt theme of these books is not really my favorite subject but I have nevertheless found the Starfist series quite enjoyable. I like the way Sherman & Cragg writes and you cannot say anything else than that these books are fairly action-filled. This book in the series is no exception to that.

The official book blurb above actually only speaks of a part of the events in the book. Su
Scott Rachui
In this book, we see the marines of the 34th FIST at their best. They are sent to a swamp planet where they encounter the Skinks, an alien intelligence that no one believes exists. The Skinks are decidedly hostile, and combat breaks out, with some excellent military action.

The thing that becomes obvious in this book, and carries over to future books featuring the Skinks, is that the authors were both in Vietnam. The Skinks are very obviously the North Vietnamese (down to their cultural practices
Scott James
I'll admit, with this 7th book in the series I nearly jumped ship. the second part of what I now know to be a tightly written 4 book arc, Kingdom's Swords finally gets into the messy stuff, as the 34th bogs down in some of the worst action they've ever seen.

Part of why I like this series is the authenticity of the characters and their military lives. but for the first time, the book felt like just another iteration of a formula, and there's only so many times I can read the same book before gett
David Dail
I can't put this series down. I bought the first 5 books at thanksgiving and received some for christmas and ordered others online and they have been pretty much my exclusive reading material since then. A must read for any fan of military fiction science or otherwise.
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jacob Burger
Jacob Burger marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
matthew odle
matthew odle marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
John
John added it
Oct 28, 2014
Justin
Justin added it
Oct 07, 2014
Ben Corman
Ben Corman marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Will Scott
Will Scott marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
  • Carnifex
  • Star Corps (The Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • One Good Soldier
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Grimmer Than Hell
  • Force of Arms (Robotech, First Generation, #5)
  • The Rising (The Flight Engineer, #1)
  • Old Guard: Bolos Anthology 5 (Bolos, #5)
  • Heirs of Empire (Dahak, #3)
  • The Forlorn
David Sherman has been a Marine and a sculptor. He writes science fiction and military novels.

More about David Sherman...
Jedi Trial (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #6) First to Fight (Starfist, #1) School of Fire (Starfist, #2) Blood Contact (Starfist, #4) Steel Gauntlet (Starfist, #3)