Start by marking “Dieci piccoli indiani” as Want to Read:
Dieci piccoli indiani

Dieci piccoli indiani

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  277,707 ratings  ·  9,726 reviews
Dieci persone estranee l’una all’altra sono state invitate a soggiornare in una splendida villa a Nigger Island senza sapere il nome del generoso ospite. Eppure, chi per curiosità , chi per bisogno, chi per opportunità , hanno accettato l’invito. E ora sono lì su quell’isola che sorge dal mare simile a una gigantesca testa di negro che fa rabbrividire soltanto a vederla. N ...more
Paperback, Oscar scrittori del Novecento, 182 pages
Published May 2002 by A. Mondadori (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Dieci piccoli indiani, please sign up.

Midnight Anderson i liked the book and the twists kept me interested and guessing whom was the murderer. Its the ending that I felt was a bit too much for myself...the…morei liked the book and the twists kept me interested and guessing whom was the murderer. Its the ending that I felt was a bit too much for myself...the story, the epilogue, AND the murderer's manuscript. nice way to wrap up the story but it took ALL the mystery out of the mystery and my initial response to the ending was dull and numb by the manuscript(less)
Azur The original title was actually "Ten little niggers". There is (was?) a small island named Nigger Island that inspired Christie for the setting. Since…moreThe original title was actually "Ten little niggers". There is (was?) a small island named Nigger Island that inspired Christie for the setting. Since this is pretty offensive it was changed to "Ten little Indians". The children's rhyme was originally about Indians/Native Americans. This was deemed offensive too, so today they use the last line of the children's rhyme as title and the little figures were changed to soldiers.
Information from my copy of the book.

I have two versions of this book. One is the English version with the little soldiers. The other one is a German translation of the original version with the N word (and a ton of apologies in the preface) but also with the last line as title. (less)

Nataliya

This lovely mystery book is first and foremost about the administration of the long-overdue justice, right? At least that's what the mastermind behind it all believes.

But the question is - who has the right to decide what justice is? And who is to decide what punishment serves the crime? And is perceived justice at all costs the ultimate goal, or is it the frequently pointless work of a maniac? As a matter of fact, what is justice after all?

I think the story of this book (the one that may win th
Kinga
Before I begin I would like to apologise for my use of the N word in this review.
It is necessary, I promise.

This book was originally published in UK under a charming title of "Ten Little Niggers". When it came to the US version in the 40's someone decided that 'Ten Little Niggers' is not the most marketable title for a book so they changed it to 'Ten Little Indians' (as it was still ok to call Native Americans Indians then).
Only years after someone decided that neither 'Niggers', nor 'Indians'
Alejandro
Extraordinary and gripping novel!

I knew that the best way to start reading the literary work by Agatha Christie was choosing her most known book. And There were none is the best-selling mystery novel of all time with 100 million of copies, and the fifth book in the list comprehending all genres. That is something to give to Agatha Christie the respect that she deserves.

Initially this novel on UK was titled Ten Little Niggers, only because the original nursery rhyme was called that but it was obv
Mohammed Arabey
يجب أن أعترف أن ضيق أفقي هو مامنعني من بدء القراءة لعالم أجاثا كريستي
فمنذ صغري لم تبهرني أغلفه قصصها المترجمة للعربية
كما أن معرفة والدي لافلامها بل وقراءة والدتي لروايتها منذ صغرها جعلني أشعر أن التشويق بهذه القصص صار "موضة قديمة" وأكيد ألغازها ستكون مكشوفة لي
ناهيك عن مقولة "لابد أنه الخادم هو من فعلها.. كقصص أجاثا كريستي" جعلتني
متشككا أن الحل بعد كل هذه السنوات صار نمطيا بقصص أجاثا كريستي
فلماذا أقرأ لها؟..لم يعد هناك شئ

عشر عساكر صغار ذهبوا الي العشاء
اختنق احدهم ..ثم تبقي تسعه

الي ان جائتني
Moira Russell
I admit I am a late, reluctant and suspicious convert to Christie. I avoided her studiously as an adolescent, because dozens and dozens of her paperbacks were always on sale with equally cheap indistinguishable romances and other 'women's books,' and I wanted no part of those. I read Chandler, not Christie; Hammett, not Sayers; James, not Marsh. I even read a few Spillane books, for Chrissakes, at a friend's urging (UGH), but still no Christie. Those endless TV adaptations, with the dotty Miss M ...more
mark monday
You Chose Your Own Adventure!

You are a man, you are a woman; you are judge, jury, and executioner. You are surrounded by murderers and assholes. Kill ‘em all! Then kill yourself. Your adventure is over.

If you would like to start your life anew, choose
Emily May
I'm a big lover of Agatha Christie, she has written some fantastic murder mysteries and her stories never get tiring. But this is the one that just comes out on top every time.

It partly, and quite amusingly, reminds me of that old American murder mystery in Sunset Beach. Basically, they're the only ones on this island and someone is killing them off one by one in accordance with the Ten Little Indians rhyme . And I swear I never saw it coming, and I'm usually very good at it. It's just a very cl
Halfino Berry
Nov 17, 2011 Halfino Berry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery
I read it many years ago, during my junior high (or before?), loved it, and consider it as one of Christie's best writing.

You won't find Poirot or Miss Marple in it, but as her other books are usually related to some popular rhymes, this one is related with '10 Little Indians' (which is the other title for this book).

Alternately, you will have these ten people with the dark past isolated in an island. One by one, each of them were killed. You may guess who the killer was while turning page over
Rehab Ali suliman
لم يخطئ النقاد حين صنفوا هذه الرائعة من أكثر روايات أجاثا دقة وادهاشاً .. انهمكت في قراءتها وأنهيتها رغماً عني سريعا للفضول الشديد الذي ألم بي لمعرفة النهاية الغير متوقعه أبداً .. يدهشني في اجاثا دقتها في وصف المشاهد لدرجة أني أتخيل نفسي في موقع الحدث .. ان أردت أن تجرب قراءة الروايات البوليسية فهذه الرواية هي الأجدر بأن تكون البداية لك
Madeline
“Ten little soldier boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little soldier boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little soldier boys travelling in Devon; One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little soldier boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little soldier boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little soldier boys
Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕
Every once in a while on Goodreads I find myself feeling compelled to make a True Confession, and here's another one: I'm not all that much of a Hercule Poirot fan.

For someone who's read probably 30 or 40 Agatha Christie books over her lifetime, that's probably an odd thing. I like him okay, I don't DISlike him, but yeah, he kind of irks me sometimes. So when I'm picking up an Agatha Christie mystery, I'm always a little bit tickled when it doesn't involve Poirot. This is one of those books, so
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

WARNING: IF YOU DID NOT LIKE HARPER’S ISLAND CLICK AWAY PRONTO ‘CAUSE THIS STORY REMINDED ME OF THAT STORY AND I’M GOING TO HARPER’S ISLAND THE POOP OUT OF THIS MO-FO

Still here? Okay, let’s get on with the show.

Upon starting And Then There Were None, I found myself feeling extremely . . . giddy. WTF is wrong with me? Normal people don’t get all smiley when they begin a book where everyone and their dog is going to get murdered. I need
Colleen Venable
Made the mistake of starting this on the train ride home just now. Now it's 2am and HOLY MOLY DOES THIS BOOK HOLD UP! Was my favorite book in 5th grade and read it a ton of times then. I even know who the killer is and I'm still at the edge of my seat (or maybe more appropriately edge of my bed, under the covers with a booklight) Lordie. Someone pry this out of my hands and make me sleep!
Waleed Al-najjar

أربعة هنود صغار خرجوا إلى البحر

ابتلعت رنجة حمراء أحدهم فبقي منهم ثلاثة

ثلاثة هنود
Araz Goran
رواية من الروايات النموذجية في الأدب البوليسي..
من أشهر ما كتبت أجاثا كريستي ومن أكثر القصص إثارة ورعباً وتشويقاً..
جرائم تحدث في دوائر مغلقة وقاتل مجهول دائماً والهدف من القتل مجهول أيضاً وكل طرف يشك في أحد الاشخاص الموجودين داخل الحلقة..
كُتبت روايات كثيرة وقصص حول نفس الفكرة وبأساليب وطرق مختلفة وكذلك أنتجت أفلام متعددة تحمل نفس الفكرة والنموذج الكلاسيكي لهذه الرواية..
هذه الرواية تعتبر مرجع للروائيين ومنتجي الافلام قديماً وحديثاً..
ومن أبرز الافلام التي شاهدتها هو فيلم Nine dead الذي أنتج سنة 201
Ariel
I am so glad that I finally picked up an Agatha Christie.. it was about time, and I think that I chose a good one to start with! And Then There Were None, fun fact, is the best-selling mystery novel in all of human history!

Overall, I thought that this was an excellent novel. It was very intriguing, and by half way I didn't want to put it down - I needed to know what was going on! I definitely understand why Christie is held in such high regard, too: her writing is quick and on edge, it's realist
Amr

من فترة وانا نفسي اقرأ حاجة لأجاثا كريستى
فقمت اشترت أشهر رواية لها عشان لو معجبتنيش قلت أكيد الباقى مش هيعجبنى

أول ما بدأت قراءة الرواية وعرفت الفكرة قلت ان الفكرة ده انا شفتها قبل كدا فى فيلم واتكررت
وأكيد الحبكة فى الرواية مش هتبقى جديدة وخصوصا أنها تم نشرها فى 1939
واتعمل بعدها كذا فيلم او رواية على نفس الفكرة

وكملت الرواية وعجبتنى جدا
الرواية والحبكة والاثارة لحد أخر سطر فى الرواية, والنهاية مش متوقعة

كل الحبكة والاثارة فى الرواية جميل لكن الصراحة قمة فى الابداع ان اجاثا تكتب الكلام ده فى 1939 ق
Buthy ful
ربما لم أقرأ لأحد كما قرأت لأجاثا كريستي وليس لأنها تكتب في الغموض والقصص البوليسية، ولكن لأنها تضيف دائماً البعد الإنساني لشخصياتها، وتضمن الصفحات آراءها في العدل والسياسة والحب والصراع بين الخير والشر..

هذه الرواية هي واحدة من أكثر من ثمانين كتبتها في الأدب البوليسي، وهي في رأيي مثل الدرة على التاج، فشخصياتها مصقولة وواضحة، وأحداثها متسلسلة. والتسلسل الزمني في الرواية حين تأخذنا الشخصيات في بحر الذكريات، يجعل القراءة مليئة بالإثارة.

أنصح بقراءتها لمحبي قصص الغموض
Katherine
Miluju tu básničku...

Deset malých černoušků hostil děda Vševěd,
jeden z nich se zakuckal, zbylo jich jen devět.

Devět malých černoušků chtělo sypat kosům,
jeden se včas nevzbudil, zbylo jich jen osm.

Osm malých černoušků vyšlo si hrát před dům,
jeden z nich se potloukl, zbylo jich jen sedm.

Sedm malých černoušků šlo naštípat klest,
jeden z nich se posekal, zbylo jich jen šest.

Šest malinkých černoušků chtělo vybrat med,
čmelák píchl jednoho, zbylo jich jen pět.

Pět malinkých černoušků k soudu spolu míří,
BrokenTune
“Enveloped in an aura of righteousness and unyielding principles, Miss Brent sat in her crowded third-class carriage and triumphed over its discomfort and its heat. Everyone made such a fuss over things nowadays! They wanted injections before they had teeth pulled— they took drugs if they couldn’t sleep— they wanted easy chairs and cushions and the girls allowed their figures to slop about anyhow and lay about half naked on the beaches in summer.”

It is difficult to review And Then There Were Non
Jadranka

Početak Agatinog i mog divnog prijateljstva :D Čista desetka!

Jon
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
It's been a long time since I read this book...I was in my pre-teen years at the time! Because of that, I really can't give too detailed a review, but I can honestly say that this was the novel that ignited my life-long love for mysteries! Sure, as a kid, I had already been exposed to mysteries aimed at my age group...the Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, Scooby Doo (OK, that last one doesn't really count), but "And Then There Were None" was the first sophisticated mystery I ever read, and its eff ...more
Heather
Apr 17, 2007 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery buffs
A group of strangers is invited to a deserted island by a mysterious host they do not know. When they arrive they immediately
1. dislike each other
2. figure out that no one knows who the host is
3. discern that each person is hiding a dark secret
4. realize they were all blackmailed into coming
Then one by one, the guests begin to disappear. A short verse about 10 Little Indians appears at each crime scene. Those remaining frantically try to figure out what is going on.

This is my all-time favorite
Tatiana
Dec 26, 2009 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: all mystery lovers
I remember this story from a fabulous Russian movie adaptation and while reading it for the first time, I caught myself constantly thinking: Oh, how I wish not to know the ending! This was a truly great book which was much more than a simple mystery, but rather a psychological thriller and an examination of criminal mind. Rightfully Agatha Christie's best.

Reading challenge: #30 2 of 2.
Jason
Jun 02, 2008 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans, aspiring screenwriters, everyone
I first read Christie a few weeks ago when I completed “Murder on the Orient Express”. It blew me away, and I knew I would have to read more. “And Then There Were None” was a logical choice since it is so famous. My local library had a copy available for me.
I do not think I have ever read through a book that quickly. It was very short, but very exciting! Agatha Christie does not disappoint in presenting not only a mystery that I did not figure out until the truth was told to me, but an engagin
Manny
My friend Amelie and I used this book as half of our corpus when we wrote our 1990 paper, An Implementable Semantics for Comparative Constructions . We spent several days combing through the text, extracting and categorizing every single occurrence of a comparative construction. So you'll appreciate that I know what I'm talking about when I say it's better than most murder mysteries.
Dem
4.5 Stars

And then there were none by Agatha Christie.

Having never read an Agatha Christie novel I was delighted to get my hands on this book as it's title alone is intriguing.

This novel was published in 1939 and I thought while it might be a good read it would be a little out of date and may not live up to it's popularity of the time. How wrong I was, this novel is still as fresh and interesting as any modern mystery if not more so.

The story of 10 strangers, each lured to Soldier Island by a m
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"Watch and pray, watch and pray. The day of judgment is at hand...."

Ten strangers are invited to a mysterious island over false pretenses. None of them have met before or knew each other prior to going to the island. It becomes known that each stranger harbors a secret from the past...secrets that are known to the person who has summoned them there. One by one, the ten strangers are picked off and murdered, seemingly being punished for their past transgressions. But as their numbers decrease and
Cheryl
Recognition is essential in the mind of a serial killer, and though pathological to an extreme, the resolution of the crimes on Indian Island would still elude me without the motive, means, and process described in the epilogue of Agatha Christie's AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.

With the nursery rhyme Ten Little Indians echoing in the reader's mind, ten invited visitors to the Island, unknown to one another, are viciously murdered in a few blustering days in August.

Each holds a secret of crimes commi
A Million More Pages: And Then There Were None: Apr 27 44 37 May 01, 2015 06:57AM
2015 Reading Chal...: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 4 18 Apr 26, 2015 10:45PM
Favorite character? 13 176 Apr 07, 2015 05:05PM
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #8)
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • Payment in Blood (Inspector Lynley, #2)
  • Shroud for a Nightingale (Adam Dalgliesh, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Daughter of Time (Inspector Alan Grant, #5)
  • In the Best Families (Nero Wolfe, #17)
  • Night Train to Memphis (Vicky Bliss, #5)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...
Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)

“Ten little Indian boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine.
Nine little Indian boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight.
Eight little Indian boys travelling in Devon; One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.
Seven little Indian boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.
Six little Indian boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.
Five little Indian boys going in for law; One got in Chancery and then there were four.
Four little Indian boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.
Three little Indian boys walking in the Zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two.
Two little Indian boys sitting in the sun; One got frizzled up and then there was one.
One little Indian boy left all alone; He went and hanged himself and then there were none.”
332 likes