Start by marking “Unforgettable Fire: Past, Present, and Future - the Definitive Biography of U2” as Want to Read:
Unforgettable Fire: Past, Present, and Future - the Definitive Biography of U2

Unforgettable Fire: Past, Present, and Future - the Definitive Biography of U2

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  470 ratings  ·  23 reviews
U2 has always been a band shrouded in mystery. Now, for the first time ever, comes a painstakingly detailed and honest account of the remarkable band from Ireland whose political, spiritual and personal music has touched the hearts and minds of its countless fans.
Published September 1st 1988 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Unforgettable Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unforgettable Fire

Chris
Aug 04, 2007 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of U2 - the music AND the activism.
I read this book when I was in the sixth grade - a U2 fan because I liked the music, but more importantly, I liked a boy who liked the music. (I was young and shallow.)

I was instantly engaged in the story of these young men from Ireland - and read this book from cover to cover within just a couple of days. And then I went back and read it again. And then I handed it to my dad and made HIM read it.

Unforgettable Fire gave me a picture of the boys behind U2. The book focuses on their adolescence a
Sara
I was so obsessed with U2 in 1988 I actually used my parent's credit card to buy this book from Waldens at the mall. And that credit card was EMERGENCY USE only. But Mom! This was an EMERGENCY! (I was only making minimum wage part time, I never could have had this book.) That being said, I liked the book because I LOVED U2, but I was disappointed in the swear words in it. I didn't think that was professional at all or necessary. Not in a non-fiction book. Anyway, I still have this book and I hav ...more
Michelle Llewellyn
With everyone receiving a copy of the latest album, "Songs of Innocence" whether they wanted it or not, I recommend this book for anyone who has never heard of Bono or U2. (If anyone actually does fit that description I'd like the address of the rock you've been living under.) Interesting to compare that young, raw, passionate, "baby band" consisting of four Irish lads wanting nothing more than to make a name for themselves in the world of music and succeeded through hard work and determination ...more
Oceana2602
Given to me by a friend around, I guess, 1993, when I had just survived an episode of acute Guns n'Roses fannishness, which was then followed by the most epic US love EVAH! God, being a teenager was fun, wasn't it?

I think my parents must have liked U2 a lot better than GnR. I mean, at least the posters weren't quite as horrifying. (I know I'd disown my thirteen year old daughter if she plastered her walls with long-haired men in tiny shorts. (good thing I don't have a daughter).)

Me, however, wel
Maria João
This 1987 U2 biography goes only up to “The Joshua Tree” album. It is a very short time, in my view, to write a biography of an on-going band, but to my surprise it was a pleasant reading.
U2 is not a common band, because it embodies the opposite of the rock’n’roll’s “sex, drugs and alcohol” cliché, and it was interesting to realize where that posture and values came from.
U2 became “the” U2 band we all known today with “The Joshua Tree” album, and this biography sheds light on the previous ten ye
Saqib Khan
Unforgettable alright. Must for U2 fans.
Katsumi
Very detailed biographical information helps you understand where the band members (and others close to the band) come from and how and why they got to where they are now. Unfortunately this book only covers up to the release of Joshua Tree, but its great for information on the real early and formative years of the band. I found that some things were repeated many times throughout the book but at least that made you really remember them well. It was a fun read for a fan who wants to know more.
Max
A good read, the writing is average but the story is remarkable. How could it not be for one of the biggest rock and roll bands in the world, from Ireland nonetheless? It was a little strange reading a biography about this band that was written in 1987 (almost a quarter century ago) knowing how much they've done since then and knowing how much the music industry and technology has changed in just the last 5 years let alone the last 23.
Iosephus Bibliothecarius
I love this book so much I've now read it twice. Dunphy gives us amazing amounts of detail and insight into the backgrounds of U2 and those who work with them (at least up to 1987 when it was written). An excellent history of the band and well worth your time.
Jen
I read this one so many years ago I don't even remember. It's a good bio of the early years of U2. By now, a lot of the stories have become legend, so there is not likely to be a lot of new information, but a solid rock bio at any rate.
Pjtibbetts
Bono has been an egomaniac ever since he was born? no shit.

I am not sure if this is an authorized biography...but it is very good in providing details of the foursome in their early years.
Jake Maguire
I really enjoyed this biography. It portrays the band as they are: A multifaceted group. If you're a fan of the music, this is a nice read that puts their life and work into context.
Anna
T thought that would be better. I liked U2's music til certain point and I don't know when I stopped listening to them. Biography like many others.
Lara
Remember rushing out to buy this in hardback when it came out in the 80's, reading it in one fell swoop in my student room. Bliss.
Brian Stark
Fantastic history of the greatest rock band of all time. Very well written, and an awesome look at the beginnings of a legend.
Kezza Loudoun
A complete understanding of where the biggest band on earth came from. NB: Their original name for the band was Feedback.
Michelle
apparently there are some discrepancies with eamon's account; but entertaining nonetheless.
Rich
Very good book about one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time.
Heather
I have this old school bio but I can't remember ever reading any of it. Ha!
Nanci
The first comprehensive U2 biography, and still among the best.
Dave Donahoe
read during my semester abroad at Cambridge University, England
Iain Watson
Unforgettable fire: The story of U2 by Eamon Dunphy (1987)
Meg
Dec 21, 2008 Meg marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelves
[Purchased @ Planet Records, Harvard Square.]
Garry Phillips
Garry Phillips marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
  • Let Fury Have the Hour: The Punk Rock Politics of Joe Strummer
  • Rockin' in Time: A Social History of Rock-And-Roll
  • Wild Boy: My Life in Duran Duran
  • One Train Later: A Memoir
  • Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll: Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll
  • Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution
Only A Game: The Diary Of A Professional Footballer The Rocky Road A Strange Kind Of Glory: Sir Matt Busby And Manchester United Gazza: My Story Dunphy: A Football Life. Eamon Dunphy