Start by marking “Cindy, Der Traum vom Tanzen ” as Want to Read:
Cindy, Der Traum vom Tanzen

Cindy, Der Traum vom Tanzen (Drina #1)

Cindy möchte Balletttänzerin werden, aber ihre Großmutter ist dagegen.
Published 1992 by Loewe Verlag (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Cindy, Der Traum vom Tanzen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cindy, Der Traum vom Tanzen

Colette
Mar 13, 2010 Colette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from my cousin when I was quite young, perhaps about 8 or 9. I'm not sure how many times I read it as a child, but it was a favorite. I loved the illustration on the cover- the edition I had as a child was the Scholastic edition with the pink cover.

A few years ago, I was poking around online and found out that there were five books in this series. I tracked down #2 and #5, though I was unable to find the others.

Then, on Goodreads, I saw someone's review that mentioned that
Tina
Aug 23, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read, love those books!
Anica
May 14, 2009 Anica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't describe how much I adored this series as a child. Or how often I already read it.

I am so not a dancer but those books are just so well written, it just pulls you into the whole story. And you can't stop until you've finished. Wonderful.
I really miss those days when I was a child, reading those books.

Seriously, it is sad that nobody today reads books like these. OK, now I feel old, but whatever... ;)
Sally
Not the best of the lot, but a decent introduction to the series. As with many heroines in ballet stories, Drina wants to dance but can't - her grandparents forbid it. As there are ten more books in the series, you can guess that she does eventually get her way. ;)
Melissa Posten
Not as good as the Shoes books, but still really satisfying for my inner ten year old balletomane.
Katie
May 11, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, childrens-lit, 1950s
In the first installment in the series, Ballet for Drina, the reader is introduced to Drina, a little girl who lives with her grandparents, Mr and Mrs Chester, following the death of her mother and father when she was very young. She loves to dance but has never been allowed to take lessons and her grandmother refuses to discuss why. When Drina changes schools she makes friends with Jenny Pilgrim, who hates dancing and wants to work on a farm but whose mother insists she take ballet classes. Eve ...more
Lauren
Feb 03, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The whole Drina series is amazing. My mom read all of them to me when I was little, and I still read them to this day. Be forewarned though, they are all out of print, so they will be quite expensive to find, more than likely. The Drina series is the story of a young girl wanting nothing more than to be a ballerina, and how she goes about getting there. It keeps your interest and appeals to many boys as much as girls. I will definitely be reading these books to my children.
Kristen
Jan 29, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series was my absolute favorite when I was growing up (and truthfully, still is). I re-read it every few years and enjoy it each time. It's like a cozy sweater... comforting, reliable, enjoyable. These books are what sparked my interest in travel (ok, European travel), and I fully plan on naming my daughter (if I ever have one) either Andrina, Audrina or anything with the nickname "Drina" and hope she will be a ballerina, who is as kind aND intelligent as the heroine of these books. I even ...more
Yavanna
Jan 03, 2016 Yavanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich hatte als Kind auch eine Ballettphase, wenn auch nur über Bücher ;) die Cindy-Bücher fand ich damals alle super und hab mir eines nach dem anderen von der Omi schenken lassen oder selbst vom Taschengeld gekauft. Ich fand auch alle Cover so toll, ich hab die immer bewundert.

Gerade habe ich gesehen, dass sie im Englischen "Drina" heisst ... wer kommt bitteschön auf die Idee, jemand von Drina nach Cindy zu übersetzen für den deutschen Buchmarkt? Wieso nicht gleich Steffi oder Lisa? ^^

Felicity
Jul 24, 2014 Felicity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good opener to a brilliant series about Drina Adams and her dancing. It starts from when she is 5 and her grandmother catches her dancing in the living room. It then fast forwards to Drina's first day at her new school in Warwickshire where she meets Jenny Pilgrim. Jenny and Drina are very different but make good friends and Jenny proves to be a useful ally when Drina wants to dance as she is forced to dance by her mum at The Selswick School. Drina has to hide this from her grandmother ...more
Yavanna
Jan 03, 2016 Yavanna rated it really liked it

Jessica
Mar 28, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books that got me into dancing ballet when I was eleven years old. Although I don't dance anymore, the story about this girl, embarking on a journey to become a ballet dancer and pursuing her dream to perform on big stages, empowered me and made me reflect more on what my passion was.
This is a book that I would recommend, not just to girls, who are into dancing, but also to any girl, who likes reading books.
Gemma
Sep 20, 2016 Gemma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first in a most captivating series of books for those who love ballet, particularly girls aged 10 - 12 years. I have such fond memories of the reading experience: eagerly going to the library in anticipation of the next one being on the shelf, finding a quiet place to read where I would be undisturbed as I was drawn into the story, full of emotional warmth and beautifully written and illustrated. You just wanted to be Drina's best friend. Very moving, I think.
Tiffany
Good book for young readers who enjoy reading about dance and ballerinas.

Drina is cute, and she wants very much to be a ballerina, no matter what it takes. She works hard, even when her grandparents forbid her from dancing.

In the book, Drina and her best friend, Jenny, discuss the fact that most books about ballerinas make it seem like ballet talent comes easy, but that that's a wrong portrayal. I think this book tries to get at the other side, showing Drina working hard in her classes, sufferin
Tanya Lily
This is teenage to young adult fiction as it is most heartwarming. For all aspiring ballerina's as well as those who are not. This story follows the life of Drina as she finds ballet after her parents die in an accident. It is a beautiful story and relays the insecurities of adolescence as well as the beauty and freedom. It really is a treasure and a shame that it is not reissued to the pleasure of future generations. If you manage to get a copy of the series then it is a worth while and timeles ...more
Una Rose
May 13, 2015 Una Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a teen. I bought the first three books at Kmart one summer while at our cottage. I fell in love with the story. It is a sweet, charming book and I enjoyed re reading it.
LOL_BOOKS
WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR COMFORT BOOKS?

IL THOSE BOOKS SO MUCH, MEMER. SO MUCH. I AM COMPLETELY SHAMELESS ABOUT MY LOVE FOR THEM.
Sanalith
Jan 22, 2013 Sanalith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, ballet, 2013
I've decided 2013 is going to be a heavy re-reading year, and I'm starting with this amazing series. It was one of my favorites growing up, and I have to say the writing actually does stand the test of time. This is even more impressive than normal, considered it was written in the 1950s! Drina reminds me so much of myself - very passionate, intensely focused to the point of obsessiveness, and prone to anxiety before important activities - and these traits allowed me to bond with her intensely a ...more
Carolynne
Oct 15, 2009 Carolynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ballet
Katie West
Aug 09, 2015 Katie West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a really good book! I could read it again!
Kate
I wasn't a dancer when I was younger (much too uncoordinated for ballet lessons), but I loved the covers of these books and bought them all to read. I recall having a somewhat difficult time reading them (written in British English, so weird spelling, punctuation, and phrasing) but overall a good kids story.

Some of the alternate titles I found while looking this book up were interesting, especially the one where Drina's name had been changed to Cindy.
Sharjae Witehira-shortland
Judy
Apr 16, 2016 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-contemp-kids
Any story that is based on a child who has a passion for something is a worthy read. A child with a passion is not likely to be bored or to get into serious trouble. Any girl who has a passion for something that requires setting goals and serious work, will be able to identify with Drina.
Joanna
Jun 12, 2007 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little girls
I loved Drina's world as a little girl. She showed me around London before I had ever been there for myself! Definitely one to give to the nieces, should they decide to become ballerinas. The entire series is worth paying a visit.
Chelle
Feb 21, 2014 Chelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series as a child and remember being so excited whenever I found another Drina book on our mobile library, until I got my own set. Re-reading the first in the series was a treat.
CLM
Drina does not have as much personality as most of MAE's characters but this series is a must for fans of ballet books.
Lisa
Read this series in JR High and simply LOVED them! I need to track these down.....
Runningrabbit
Sep 22, 2011 Runningrabbit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this series when I was a youngster...
Vee
Apr 03, 2013 Vee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book as a young girl.
Julie Johnstone
Mar 04, 2013 Julie Johnstone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Fave children's chapter book series
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • Thursday's Child
  • A Very Young Dancer
  • The Wrong Chalet School (The Chalet School, #28)
  • Breaking Pointe: A Ballet Novel
  • Dancing on the Inside
  • Thursday's Children
  • My Mama Had a Dancing Heart

Drina (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Drina's Dancing Year (Drina, #2)
  • Drina Dances in Exile (Drina, #3)
  • Drina Dances in Italy (Drina, #4)
  • Drina Dances Again (Drina, #5)
  • Drina Dances In New York (Drina, #6)
  • Drina Dances in Paris (Drina, #7)
  • Drina Dances in Madeira (Drina, #8)
  • Drina Dances in Switzerland (Drina, #9)
  • Drina Goes on Tour (Drina, #10)
  • Drina Ballerina (Drina, #11)