Start by marking “The Best of Frederik Pohl” as Want to Read:
The Best of Frederik Pohl

The Best of Frederik Pohl

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Introduction by Lester del Rey.

Contents:
The Tunnel under the World (1955)
Punch (1961)
Three Portraits and a Prayer (1962)
Day Million (1966)
Happy Birthday, Dear Jesus (1956)
We Never Mention Aunt Nora (1958)
Father of the Stars (1964)
The Day the Martians Came (1967)
The Midas Plague (1954)
The Snowmen (1959)
How to Count on Your Fingers (1956) essay
Grandy Devil (1955)
Speed Trap (
Published June 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published March 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Frederik Pohl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Frederik Pohl

Emily
Frederik Pohl is prolific. He handles so many diverse ideas with great skill. I was completely intrigued by nearly every one of the tales contained in this collection. Here, then, is an accounting.
"The Tunnel Under the World" - A man wakes up to find everything very different from the way he remembered it the day before. The next day he finds the date the same as the one before. What is going on? -- This one is a little bit like the Truman Show, except with a very different and startling twist a
I reread this over the last few weeks in anticipation of the Pohl discussions at the Campbell Conference. A lot of these stories hold up very well. The details are tied to the period they were written, but thematically they still hold. The consumerism addressed in The Midas Plague, the economics of the Icicle Works, the advertising in the Tunnel Under the World, the racism in The Day the Martians Came... all are astutely observed, and still relevant.
At the conference, we watched a video that fu
Mike
I really liked this collection. Yes some of them are a little dated, but I struggled to find more than the odd story that wasn't at least good. I have read more recently published short stories and few stand up to this from one of the masters. Fred Pohl is definely one of the greats.

Tunnel Under The World: There is nothing like starting with a good stroy and this was one of those. It has a similar plot to the movie Groundhog Day, but was written well before it in 1954. However it has some intere
Scott Holstad
This is another book of short stories by Frederik Pohl that I've read and he really doesn't disappoint. I like his short stories much better than his novels, to be honest. "The Tunnel Under The World" was published in the mid-50s, but reads like The Truman Show. It's quite interesting. "The Children of Night" is disturbing and spooky. Actually, there are several disturbing pieces in this book. "The Midas Plague," however, is not one of them. In this story, there's rampant over-consumption throug ...more
Cera
I think of myself as really disliking short stories, but after reading this I've come to the conclusion that I just dislike certain kinds of short stories. These are idea stories, often with a twist, some of them funny and some of them horrifying, but all of them very, very interesting. If I'd read more old sf (these are all from the 50s and 60s, I believe) I might have been less surprised by the surprises, but I'm not very well read in pre-70s stuff, so I *was* surprised. And it was really cool ...more
Otis Campbell
On an unsuspecting human world
Inhuman in your midst
This world is mine to own, 'cause
Well, I turned into a Martian
Woah oh oh
Well, I believe that it's ok
Woah oh oh
Doyle
Pohl tackles subjects like discrimination, politics, sexual identity and the will to survive in this very solid collection of short stories. There were a few duds, but the stories I didn't care for were all stories with shorter page counts. The 3 longest stories were all very good, as were many of the shorter ones.
Joshua Zucker
A few of the stories don't age well, but most of them are about politics and advertising and topics that (perhaps sadly) haven't gone away.

Pohl's gift is not for characterization, but there are some well-plotted stories here, and some really brilliant ideas to explore and enjoy.
Paul
An eclectic variety of some of the Best of Frederik Pohl's Short Stories.
Mostly science fiction, but with a couple of nice twists inserteds in there.
I think I first found out about Binary and began understanding it after having read this book.
Steven
What to say? An absolutely solid collection of some of Frederik Pohl's best stories (superseded somewhat by later collections that go beyond the self-imposed cut-off date of this book.)
Fredrick Danysh
Nineteen short stories from this science fiction master covering a variety of themes. There is some interesting work in this collection and it is well worth reading.
Eric
Loved all of the short stories. Since this was published in 1974, I am looking forward to the "best of" from the second half of his career.
Patrick
1/9/12: "Speed Trap" (1967)
1/9/12: "The Martian in the Attic" (1960)
1/9/12: "Three Portraits and a Prayer" (1962)
Isuru
Sometimes utterly genuine and sometimes near-misses, The Best of Frederik Pohl is worth a look for its variety.
Erik Graff
Dec 20, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pohl fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
This is a good, general survey of Pohl's work utilizing short stories spanning his career.
Andy
ANTHOLOGY. 1ST BRITISH EDITION. INTRODUCTION BY LESTER DEL REY.
bluetyson
The Best of Frederik Pohl by Frederik Pohl (1975)
Lindsey Armstrong
Lindsey Armstrong marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Edward Pesce
Edward Pesce marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Ryan Mera evans
Ryan Mera evans marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Riju Ganguly
Riju Ganguly marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Best of Fritz Leiber
  • The Best of Fredric Brown
  • The Best of John W. Campbell (US)
  • The Best of C. M. Kornbluth
  • Caviar
  • The Best of Leigh Brackett
  • The Best of Philip K. Dick
  • The Winds of Change and Other Stories
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Man Plus Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)

“On this day I want to tell you about, which will be about a thousand years from now, there were a boy, a girl and a love story.” 8 likes