Start by marking “Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories” as Want to Read:
Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories

Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Platinum Pohl is the first collection tocollect all ofthe essential works of Frederik Pohl. First and foremost,Pohl is a master of the science fiction short story. For more than fifty years he has been writing incisive, entertaining SF stories, several hundred in all. Even while writing his bestselling triple-crown (Hugo, Nebula, Campbell Award) novel Gateway and the other...more
Published September 5th 2000 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Platinum Pohl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Platinum Pohl

Rasheed
The Merchants of Venus (1972) novella
The Things That Happen (1985)
The High Test (1983)
My Lady Green Sleeves (1957) 3/5
The Kindly Isle (1984)
The Middle of Nowhere (1955) 5/5
I Remember a Winter (1972)
The Greening of Bed-Stuy (1984) novella
To See Another Mountain (1959) 3/5
The Mapmakers (1955) 4/5
Spending a Day at the Lottery Fair (1983)
The Celebrated No-Hit Inning (1956) 3/5
Some Joys Under the Star (1973)
Servant of the People (1983)
Waiting for the Olympians (1988)
Criticality (1984)
Shaffe...more
Rob
Frederik Pohl turned ninety a couple of months ago, he's one of the last golden age writers still with us. I discovered his blog last year and it is a treasure among author blogs, I've been following it religiously ever since. Until I read The Last Theorem , his collaboration with another of the science fiction greats, Arhtur C. Clarke, I had never actually read anything by him and that of course had to change. Pohl does not appear to have a great many books in print at the moment but among the...more
Scott Holstad
This is an excellent collection of short science fiction stories. I'd read some of Pohl's work and knew he was prolific, but I don't think I had the appreciation for him that I now have. This is some kick ass work, encompassing decades of writing. Philip K. Dick is probably my favorite sci fi writer because he can do some truly amazing things, but I'd have to say Pohl is probably now my second favorite. Some of the stories which stood out for me were "The Day the Icicle Works Closed," "The Gold...more
Kathy Sebesta
Though the technology is definitely dated, there's nothing dated about Pohl's way of looking at and tweaking his universes. Altho I like most of the stories, my favorites are all at the end of the book. Look past the technology and you'll have a wonderful time.
Casey Hampton
This was and is a fun romp through yesterday's tomorrow. I picked this up because of the first story in the collection and I kept reading until the end. While there are a few stories that seem a bit flat, there are several that are good and a few that are really good. If you are feeling the itch to read some short stories and you like Pohl's style, chances are you will like this collection. My advice is to take your time in reading this rather than trying to pound your way through it.
Paul Hancock
some good and some not so good. The good news is that the good stories are really good. I'm sure each will find their own set of gems in this collection, and they will differ from those that I enjoy. grab a copy of this book and pick out some winners for yourself.
Don Bernal
good short stories - the science is a vehicle for more interesting conflicts and ideas; good variety of mysteries and humor, all full of interesting science; "the gold at starbow's end" is magical; "The Mayor of Mare Tranq" uplifting;
Steven
Long and wonderful collection of the late Frederik Pohl's shorter work. While there's a lot of sarcastic wit to be found, there are some elegiac moments as well, and a lot of excellent worldbuilding.
Liz
This was the first book I have read by this author. The stories in the beginning of the book were really good, but as it went on, I will admit, I got bored. Overall it was a good book.
Jeff
An excellent selection of Pohl's short stories and novellas. Good read. Found some stories here that if you didn't read the originals they are probably hard to find.
Christopher Sutch
This wealth of stories shows Pohl at his best: great imagination, great humor, great humanism. Only occasionally disappointing.
Richard Anderson
Quite a lot of nifty stuff, some of it a bit dated, and Pohl's no literary stylist.
Charles Bell
Always great and entertaining. Pohl is the best.
Ned Stenger White
just a bookfull of great Pohl.
Kevin
Kevin added it
Sep 23, 2014
Adam
Adam is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2014
Hannu Kokko
Hannu Kokko marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
C. Han
C. Han marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
William
William is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Man Plus Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)