Start by marking “The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero (Quality))” as Want to Read:
The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero (Quality))

The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero (Melvin Beederman Superhero #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Bad guys tremble at the sound of his name!

Meet Melvin Beederman. He's a pretty good superhero, even though it always takes him five or six tries to get launched and flying. His weakness (every superhero has one) is bologna, which makes it hard to go into a deli. Still, Melvin manages to keep the city of Los Angeles free of nasty villains--once he's airborne.

Crash! Splat! T
Published May 30th 2006 by Square Fish (first published 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyGeronimo Stilton, Secret Agent by Geronimo StiltonThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav PilkeyDork Diaries by Rachel Renée RussellThe Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
Best books for 7 to 9 year olds
19th out of 45 books — 34 voters
Bink & Gollie by Kate DiCamilloThe Boss Baby by Marla FrazeeCat Secrets by Jef CzekajClementine, Friend of the Week by Sara PennypackerDave the Potter by Laban Carrick Hill
Iowa Goldfinch 2012-2013
10th out of 18 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Ashlee Christians
This book's audiencce is older elementary students to early middle school such as fourth grade to about seventh grade. Both boys and girls would enjoy this book, but I could see more boys reading it than girls.

I thought this book was appealing for its audience because, although there were not a lot of pictures, the book itself was quite funny. The story line in this book included corky humor and ways to boost courage in a person. I enjoyed reading this book and giggling at its goofyness.

This bo...more
Kasha
This book is a little bit like Captain Underpants. Melvin Beederman is a superhero boy who just graduated from superhero academy at the top of his class, and he is given the opportunity to work at protecting his first city. This book is just pure fun for kids. It has very little literary value, but kids find it very entertaining. What kid doesn't want to read about kids saving the world?!

The only thing that is mildly offensive is that melvin mentions feeling guilty that he sees people in their u...more
Lauren
I miss Ordinary Boy. As far as creativity goes, Melvin's up there with Ordinary Boy: Melvin's a recently graduated superhero who always needs five or six tries before he manages to fly and has a weakness for bologna (instead of kryptonite). Even better (for me), he's assigned to Los Angeles. What's not to like? Well, for one, the book is an easy reader (Amazon lists the reading level ages as 9 to 12, but I would say that 6 / 7 to 9 is more accurate): in other words, it's not one of those childre...more
Tami
Tons of Fun! That’s what the Melvin Beederman Superhero books are! They are simple chapter books about Melvin Beederman, the top graduate in his Superhero Academy class. Orphaned when his math-genius father was killed in a speeding train word problem accident, Headmaster Spinner spotted Melvin in the orphanage, recognizes his special abilities and takes him to live at the Superhero Academy.

As we begin the first book in the Melvin Beederman series, Melvin has just accepted his first superhero ass...more
Kate Hastings
RL 550. Melvin Beederman has just graduated from the Superhero Academy and has his first assignment in LA, CA. He creates a hideout in an abandoned treehouse where he watches cartoons and eats junk food. Melvin is far from being a perfect superhero. It takes him about 5 attempts to fly, he's afraid of speeding locomotives and his downfall (think kryptonite) is bologna sandwiches.

In this episode, Melvin's cape comes back shrunk from the cleaners and his powers have evaporated. Meanwhile, a girl i...more
Adam
Recent graducate from Superhero Academy, Melvin Beederman is assigned to the city of Los Angles... a city who needs a superhero in the worst way. While Melvin can't quite lead tall buildings in a single bound (it takes a couple of tries) or stop a speeding locomotive (it takes him a little while) he knows that what sets him apart is his brain power.

Full of the 2nd and 3rd grade boy jokes that include the burden of x-ray vision and adult's underwear, bologna sandwiches, and general sillyness thi...more
Julias14
Finally another series for my Captain Underpants crew. I thoroughly enjoyed this and look forward to "selling" it to some kiddos next week. 1st-4th graders.
Ubalstecha
Tale in the vein of Captain Underpants. Melvin is plucked from the orphanage and trained to be a superhero. Despite graduating at the top of his class, he is unable to do things like fly with ease. He also has trouble turning off his x-ray vision. He is assigned to LA and must learn how to be a hero, even after there is a mishap with his cape robs him of his powers.

This book is not as funny as the Captain Underpants books, most likely as it lacks the bathroom humour and sheer outrageous sillynes...more
Jen
Melvin Beederman just graduated at the top of his class from Superhero Academy. Of course, while his noggin is his greatest superpower this doesn't mean that he isn't lacking in other departments -- it takes him 4 tries to fly, clearing buildings takes more than just a single bound, and stopping trains isn't his forte. And don't even get him close to a bologna sandwich. But he eagerly accepts his position as Superhero of LA and does it well -- until a small mix-up with his cape at the cleaners....more
Lindsey Fleck
Owen liked this funny book, wants to read the series.
Abby Johnson
Melvin Beederman has just graduated from superhero school and been assigned to cover the bad guys in Los Angeles. He's maybe not the strongest superhero to come out of the academy. And maybe it takes him five tries to actually take off into the air. And he does have a weakness for bologna. But what Melvin lacks in strength, he makes up for in smarts, and that just might be enough to save the day.

This is a funny beginning chapter book that will appeal to fans of Captain Underpants with its slapst...more
Jane
Oct 24, 2007 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All lovers of nerdy imperfect heroes
Shelves: children
Fun fast paced book. Can't help but love the nerdy superhero that takes 5 tries to get off the ground,"Crash! Splat! Thud! Kabonk! There is a fun play on all the usual Superhero powers and the one dreadful weakness BOLOGNA! Love that he has a girl Superhero Assistant, Candace, Go Girl!

Finally there is a great Superhero Code that even us normal people should strive for such as:
8. Your brain is your greatest weapon and, 9. Believe in yourself at all times.
HeavyReader
Jan 21, 2009 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Captain Underpants
This is a rather silly, rather fun book about a superhero who is taken down by bologna sandwiches. He also has problems leaping over tall buildings and stopping trains. Sigh! He has gone to superhero school, but it seems like much of his power is in his cape.

There is a whole huge series of these books. I don't think I will seek the others out, but I don't have any real complaint about this one.
Mr
131 pages- Melvin Beederman is a very smart superhero who has trouble doing super things. He has to stop 2 bad guys who escaped from jail and are robbing banks. They know his weakness so it is hard for him. Along the way he mets a person and he shares his supercape with her so she has super powers too. Together they defeat the 2 bad guys.- Kara Rogers
J.
I *LOVE* this book. The only trouble I had was that I think it's a little cheap that she gets the cape and does all the same amazing things (in fact, some better than him) and yet she still only gets called an assistant. That seems a sort of bad message to send. Still, a really great book all the same.
Laura5
I read this based on a student recommendation.
It is a clever, funny story of a young superhero with plenty of references to underwear and flatulence.
My soon to be Kindergartner loved it as a read aloud, and I predict it will have many readers this fall in my library.

Shelli
Unlikely Superhero Melvin Beederman is a super fun book for young readers! Chock full of action, comic book style illustrations, and silliness. Kids will eat it up on their own, but adults would enjoy just as much sharing the adventure.
AM
Mar 29, 2011 AM rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids age 4-8
Shelves: with-the-boy
Well, the boy had a temper tantrum when we considered skipping it one night before bed. After finishing it tonight he gave a shout of triumph when I told him we could get the next installment from the library tomorrow.
*Queen Diva*
Yay! A book I read to see if I could read it at school before rest time and I can! The book was really cute that had a very Powerpuff Girls vibe, which I thought was fun. I like that the superhero is a nerd ♥
Amalia
Highly engaging combination of nice guy hero, action-filled story and comical illustrations for 2nd - 3rd graders. I booktalked the series to a 3rd grade class, and every copy in my new series is out now :)
Jill Koren
Funny superhero satire. Sonny picked it out, and it's sort of a novel/comic book, so I thought he'd quickly lose interest, but it held his attention quite well, and had us laughing all the way through.
Hannah
This book is a cute quick read, but predictable and very repetitive. I didn't like it that much, but can see why it would appeal to certain readers, especially elementary-aged superhero fans.
Lars Guthrie
A tip of the hat to my sister for recommending this. Now I have to get the rest. Perfect for the Captain Underpants/Ricky Ricotta audience, with humor that will make adults chuckle, too.
Shari
My six year old son said to give this 28 stars. He loved it and we are heading to the library tomorrow for book 2. I have to admit it was pretty cute and we read it in about 45 minutes.
KareBare
May 27, 2008 KareBare rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Superheros in training everywhere!
This is such a cute little book, and a very quick read. The illustrations are fun, and the story flows well. It does start off just a tad slow, but not annoyingly slow.
babyhippoface
Holy Moley, Indeed! Put this in the hands of any 2nd or 3rd grade boy, and I predict he will laugh himself silly and ask if you have more. Melvin Beederman rocks.
Heather
Another witty, quick, silly in a likable way "high-low" read. Cartoon art, a little grossness, sweet characters, simple plot.
Mary Lee
Melvin will be a fine addition to my classroom library for the Captain Underpants set. He'll pair nicely with Agent Amelia.
Sandy
Enjoyed this more than I expected. Quick and painless and surprisingly fun. Not a terrible first chapter book.
  • The Hero Revealed (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #1)
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • Ricky Ricotta Y El Poderoso Robot (Ricky Ricotta, #1)
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey, #1)
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
  • Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • The Purple Kangaroo
  • The Cat on the Mat Is Flat
  • Captain Awesome to the Rescue!
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Oggie Cooder
  • Sophie The Awesome
Greg Trine is the author of the Melvin Beederman, Superhero books for children, which he creates with his illustrator sidekick, Rhode Montijo. He is also the author of the young adult book, The Second Base Club. He lives with his family in his Southern California hideout.

More about Greg Trine...
Terror in Tights (Melvin Beederman, Superhero #4) Revenge of the McNasty Brothers (Melvin Beederman, Superhero, #2) The Grateful Fred Attack of the Valley Girls (Melvin Beederman, Superhero #6) The Revenge of the McNasty Brothers (Melvin Beederman Superhero (Quality))