Start by marking “The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #1)

The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  348 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Bad guys tremble at the sound of his name!

Meet Melvin Beederman. He's a pretty good superhero, even though it always takes him five or six tries to get launched and flying. His weakness (every superhero has one) is bologna, which makes it hard to go into a deli. Still, Melvin manages to keep the city of Los Angeles free of nasty villains—once he's airborne.

Crash! Splat! Th
Published May 30th 2006 by Square Fish (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneySnarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life by Mary AmatoGeronimo Stilton, Secret Agent by Geronimo StiltonDinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneAlvin Ho by Lenore Look
Best books for 7 to 9 year olds
12th out of 55 books — 73 voters
Dave the Potter by Laban Carrick HillInterrupting Chicken by David Ezra SteinBink & Gollie by Kate DiCamilloThe Boss Baby by Marla FrazeeCat Secrets by Jef Czekaj
Iowa Goldfinch 2012-2013
10th out of 18 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashlee Christians
This book's audiencce is older elementary students to early middle school such as fourth grade to about seventh grade. Both boys and girls would enjoy this book, but I could see more boys reading it than girls.

I thought this book was appealing for its audience because, although there were not a lot of pictures, the book itself was quite funny. The story line in this book included corky humor and ways to boost courage in a person. I enjoyed reading this book and giggling at its goofyness.

This bo
James Vachowski
Jul 10, 2016 James Vachowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-boys-like
Melvin Beederman is a brand-new superhero, fresh out of training. His first assignment takes him to the city of Los Angeles, which hasn’t had a superhero since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar retired. In a dry-cleaning mishap and epic wardrobe malfunction, Melvin’s powerful cape accidentally finds its way to a third-grade girl named Candace Brinkwater. Even though Candace and Melvin end up sharing some of the same superpowers, they both still have one weakness… bologna. Will the evil McNasty Boys be able to ...more
Tj Lonergan
May 16, 2016 Tj Lonergan rated it it was amazing
In this book, the main character, Melvin Beederman is a new graduate of the superhero academy. The city he had been assigned to protect was Los angeles, CA. Melvin is great at his job, though it takes him a couple tries to get up and flying, and loves fighting crime in LA. But When he has his first encounter with the McNasty Brothers, he knows he has met his match. I'm not gonna give to much away, but let's just say that every superhero has a weakness, and the McNasty brothers know what Melvin's ...more
Kasha
Dec 12, 2009 Kasha rated it liked it
Shelves: boy-books
This book is a little bit like Captain Underpants. Melvin Beederman is a superhero boy who just graduated from superhero academy at the top of his class, and he is given the opportunity to work at protecting his first city. This book is just pure fun for kids. It has very little literary value, but kids find it very entertaining. What kid doesn't want to read about kids saving the world?!

The only thing that is mildly offensive is that melvin mentions feeling guilty that he sees people in their u
Lauren
May 17, 2010 Lauren rated it it was ok
I miss Ordinary Boy. As far as creativity goes, Melvin's up there with Ordinary Boy: Melvin's a recently graduated superhero who always needs five or six tries before he manages to fly and has a weakness for bologna (instead of kryptonite). Even better (for me), he's assigned to Los Angeles. What's not to like? Well, for one, the book is an easy reader (Amazon lists the reading level ages as 9 to 12, but I would say that 6 / 7 to 9 is more accurate): in other words, it's not one of those childre ...more
Tami
Apr 15, 2012 Tami rated it liked it
Tons of Fun! That’s what the Melvin Beederman Superhero books are! They are simple chapter books about Melvin Beederman, the top graduate in his Superhero Academy class. Orphaned when his math-genius father was killed in a speeding train word problem accident, Headmaster Spinner spotted Melvin in the orphanage, recognizes his special abilities and takes him to live at the Superhero Academy.

As we begin the first book in the Melvin Beederman series, Melvin has just accepted his first superhero ass
Kate Hastings
Dec 21, 2013 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 2-3
RL 550. Melvin Beederman has just graduated from the Superhero Academy and has his first assignment in LA, CA. He creates a hideout in an abandoned treehouse where he watches cartoons and eats junk food. Melvin is far from being a perfect superhero. It takes him about 5 attempts to fly, he's afraid of speeding locomotives and his downfall (think kryptonite) is bologna sandwiches.

In this episode, Melvin's cape comes back shrunk from the cleaners and his powers have evaporated. Meanwhile, a girl i
Michael
The "pilot" episode was very entertaining, and it acts as a kind of coming-of-age story as Melvin tries to find his place/purpose. A lot of classic superhero tropes are introduced, but definitely tongue-in-cheek the whole time. The laundromat dilemma is inspired.

Series impressions: Clever and funny, very relatable for kids who want to be superheros. I like that his sidekick is an African American girl, although I was not pleased that she has trouble in math, and it is Melvin that has to solve th
Steph
Feb 20, 2016 Steph rated it liked it
Kids will like this series but I was so irritated by the random constant references to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar that I couldn't enjoy the rest of the story. Some of this is just plain weird but I'm not blind to the appeal it may have for the kiddos.
Adam
Jun 13, 2010 Adam rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-books, humor
Recent graducate from Superhero Academy, Melvin Beederman is assigned to the city of Los Angles... a city who needs a superhero in the worst way. While Melvin can't quite lead tall buildings in a single bound (it takes a couple of tries) or stop a speeding locomotive (it takes him a little while) he knows that what sets him apart is his brain power.

Full of the 2nd and 3rd grade boy jokes that include the burden of x-ray vision and adult's underwear, bologna sandwiches, and general sillyness thi
Julias14
Feb 21, 2014 Julias14 rated it really liked it
Finally another series for my Captain Underpants crew. I thoroughly enjoyed this and look forward to "selling" it to some kiddos next week. 1st-4th graders.
Erika
Apr 03, 2015 Erika rated it really liked it
Superhero who loves math, wants to "do the right thing" and uses his head rather than his fists. What's not to love?
Ubalstecha
Tale in the vein of Captain Underpants. Melvin is plucked from the orphanage and trained to be a superhero. Despite graduating at the top of his class, he is unable to do things like fly with ease. He also has trouble turning off his x-ray vision. He is assigned to LA and must learn how to be a hero, even after there is a mishap with his cape robs him of his powers.

This book is not as funny as the Captain Underpants books, most likely as it lacks the bathroom humour and sheer outrageous sillynes
Pamela
Oct 13, 2015 Pamela rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Boys will like Melvin Beederman and his silly powers like seeing everyone's underpants. Second grade and up.
Jen
Aug 23, 2007 Jen rated it it was ok
Melvin Beederman just graduated at the top of his class from Superhero Academy. Of course, while his noggin is his greatest superpower this doesn't mean that he isn't lacking in other departments -- it takes him 4 tries to fly, clearing buildings takes more than just a single bound, and stopping trains isn't his forte. And don't even get him close to a bologna sandwich. But he eagerly accepts his position as Superhero of LA and does it well -- until a small mix-up with his cape at the cleaners. ...more
Lindsey Fleck
Feb 10, 2014 Lindsey Fleck rated it really liked it
Owen liked this funny book, wants to read the series.
Abby Johnson
Feb 16, 2009 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it
Melvin Beederman has just graduated from superhero school and been assigned to cover the bad guys in Los Angeles. He's maybe not the strongest superhero to come out of the academy. And maybe it takes him five tries to actually take off into the air. And he does have a weakness for bologna. But what Melvin lacks in strength, he makes up for in smarts, and that just might be enough to save the day.

This is a funny beginning chapter book that will appeal to fans of Captain Underpants with its slapst
Lina John
Jan 04, 2016 Lina John rated it really liked it
Jane
Oct 24, 2007 Jane rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All lovers of nerdy imperfect heroes
Shelves: children
Fun fast paced book. Can't help but love the nerdy superhero that takes 5 tries to get off the ground,"Crash! Splat! Thud! Kabonk! There is a fun play on all the usual Superhero powers and the one dreadful weakness BOLOGNA! Love that he has a girl Superhero Assistant, Candace, Go Girl!

Finally there is a great Superhero Code that even us normal people should strive for such as:
8. Your brain is your greatest weapon and, 9. Believe in yourself at all times.
The Brothers
Jan 23, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Asher (8yo) read.
HeavyReader
Jan 21, 2009 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Captain Underpants
This is a rather silly, rather fun book about a superhero who is taken down by bologna sandwiches. He also has problems leaping over tall buildings and stopping trains. Sigh! He has gone to superhero school, but it seems like much of his power is in his cape.

There is a whole huge series of these books. I don't think I will seek the others out, but I don't have any real complaint about this one.
Mr
Jun 08, 2008 Mr rated it really liked it
131 pages- Melvin Beederman is a very smart superhero who has trouble doing super things. He has to stop 2 bad guys who escaped from jail and are robbing banks. They know his weakness so it is hard for him. Along the way he mets a person and he shares his supercape with her so she has super powers too. Together they defeat the 2 bad guys.- Kara Rogers
J.
Sep 27, 2009 J. rated it really liked it
I *LOVE* this book. The only trouble I had was that I think it's a little cheap that she gets the cape and does all the same amazing things (in fact, some better than him) and yet she still only gets called an assistant. That seems a sort of bad message to send. Still, a really great book all the same.
Laura5
I read this based on a student recommendation.
It is a clever, funny story of a young superhero with plenty of references to underwear and flatulence.
My soon to be Kindergartner loved it as a read aloud, and I predict it will have many readers this fall in my library.

Shelli
Sep 29, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Unlikely Superhero Melvin Beederman is a super fun book for young readers! Chock full of action, comic book style illustrations, and silliness. Kids will eat it up on their own, but adults would enjoy just as much sharing the adventure.
AM
Mar 29, 2011 AM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids age 4-8
Shelves: with-the-boy
Well, the boy had a temper tantrum when we considered skipping it one night before bed. After finishing it tonight he gave a shout of triumph when I told him we could get the next installment from the library tomorrow.
Miss Ryoko
Yay! A book I read to see if I could read it at school before rest time and I can! The book was really cute that had a very Powerpuff Girls vibe, which I thought was fun. I like that the superhero is a nerd ...more
Amalia
Mar 20, 2012 Amalia rated it really liked it
Highly engaging combination of nice guy hero, action-filled story and comical illustrations for 2nd - 3rd graders. I booktalked the series to a 3rd grade class, and every copy in my new series is out now :)
Jill Koren
Mar 31, 2008 Jill Koren rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-sonny
Funny superhero satire. Sonny picked it out, and it's sort of a novel/comic book, so I thought he'd quickly lose interest, but it held his attention quite well, and had us laughing all the way through.
Hannah
Dec 08, 2012 Hannah rated it it was ok
Shelves: battle-books
This book is a cute quick read, but predictable and very repetitive. I didn't like it that much, but can see why it would appeal to certain readers, especially elementary-aged superhero fans.
  • Captain Awesome to the Rescue!
  • The Hero Revealed (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #1)
  • Galaxy Zack: Hello, Nebulon
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Voodoo Vultures from Venus (Ricky Ricotta, #3)
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • Let's Get Cracking! (Kung Pow Chicken #1)
  • The Ball Hogs (Kickers, #1)
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey, #1)
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow
  • The Case of the Missing Family (The Buddy Files, #3)
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu #2)
Greg Trine is the author of the Melvin Beederman, Superhero books for children, which he creates with his illustrator sidekick, Rhode Montijo. He is also the author of the young adult book, The Second Base Club. He lives with his family in his Southern California hideout.

More about Greg Trine...

Melvin Beederman Superhero (8 books)
  • Revenge of the McNasty Brothers (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #2)
  • The Grateful Fred (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #3)
  • Terror in Tights (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #4)
  • The Fake Cape Caper (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #5)
  • Attack of the Valley Girls (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #6)
  • The Brotherhood of the Traveling Underpants (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #7)
  • Invasion from Planet Dork (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #8)