Start by marking “Family Honor (Sunny Randall, #1)” as Want to Read:
Family Honor (Sunny Randall, #1)

Family Honor (Sunny Randall #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,565 ratings  ·  154 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
September 1999

break Prepare to Meet Sunny

Remarkably, Family Honor is the third new novel Robert B. Parker has published in the last ten months. Even more remarkably, each of those three books represents an entry in a separate, ongoing series. Hush Money is the 26th novel to feature Spenser, still Parker's most durable and popular character.
Hardcover, Large Print, 306 pages
Published December 31st 1999 by Wheeler Publishing (first published September 6th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Family Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Honor

Iza Moreau
Imagine that you are losing your eyesight. You know that you can read only a limited number of books before things become too blurry to distinguish one word from another. Would you alter the criteria you have in selecting books to read? Probably. Would you give up on a book sooner if it didn't lure you in in the first couple of dozen pages? You bet you would.

In fact, that was the situation I found myself in when I picked up Robert Parker’s Family Honor. I had never read a Parker book before. I h
Jerry
We almost immediately liked Sunny Randall when we met her in the Jesse Stone outing “Split Image”, in which she carried about a third of that novel with a case of her own. So it was not much of a stretch to seek out Sunny’s debut outing “Family Honor”, which, pleasantly, we enjoyed very much as anticipated. Like the Stone stories, the dialogue is pithy and often witty, with a plot just intriguing enough to please. Sunny is a somewhat complicated Boston private eye and fine arts painter; she’s di ...more
David
Robert Parker has an interesting style that carries through to all of his books. First, his chapters are short and each chapters changes the scene slightly. I despise an author who ends a chapter in the middle of a dialogue and begins a new chapter to complete the dialogue. Parker's style invites the reader to just read another chapter. Second, his novels are formulaic in that they rely on threat and bluster to carry the story. Though this works GREAT in his western novels (Appalosa, for example ...more
FrankieReads
Excellent hard boiled mystery read. I'm so excited to read more from this series. For those who are fans of the Spenser series by Robert B. Parker, Sunny Randall with feel like a comfortably familiar detective. However, she's got her own back story, love interests, and a handful of eccentric friends. Of course (This IS a Robert B. Parker novel) the book had an engaging plot with suitably vicious villains.
Mary
This first book in the Sunny Randall series was a hard to put down read. Sunny Randall is a Boston P.I. and former cop, a college graduate, an aspiring painter, a divorcee, and the owner of a miniature bull terrier named Rosie.
Linda
Much more my speed than the "Spenser" novels. Written in the 90's, it uses less description of the non-essential characters by race, though that will still crop up once or twice. Sunny's bff (next to her ex-husband, Richie) is gay, and there's some pretty progressive banter between him and the runaway under Sunny's wing as to what makes a man a "real" man, and stereotypes of gay men. As with the Spencer novels, there's still a focus on characters' clothing (what an interesting panorama of US fas ...more
Tristy
The only reason this book gets two stars instead of one is that the main character, Sunny Randall, is actually pretty awesome. She's sassy and interesting and solves crimes with her Boston Terrier. Sadly, the writing is horrendous. It's actually more written like a screenplay or a pitch for a television show (and I think it would make a good one, actually). I mean, there are pages and pages of dialogue that looks like this:

"Do you like her?" Julie said.
"No."
"Why not?"
"I can't say."
"Because you d
Shad Young
I've been reading Parker's Spenser series for about four months now and have more or less enjoyed every one of them.

I found this book at a used book store and thought I'd give it a try to see how Parker would do with a female P.I. in the same Boston environment that I've enjoyed reading about with Spenser.

Not long into the book it occured to me that Sunny Randall is Spenser with ovaries. Sure she's not a physically imposing as Spenser but the attitude and sharp tongue are there.

Roughly two weeks
Renee
Sunny Randall: likeable and flawed. Bring on the next in the series!
Greg
Book one of the Sunny Randall series gets off to a great start. We meet and fall in love with Sunny herself in the prologue and by the end of chapter one, we see that she has just evolved from a painful but relatively docile divorce from the love of her life and taken up the role of Private Detective. She hates her sister, loves her Dad to bits and can barely put up with her Mom.

This story, however, revolves around a missing fifteen year old girl that the very well-to-do Patton family have hire
Yeva
When I read Robert Parker's Sunny Randall books, I almost think Mr. Parker is bisexual or at least part woman. Sunny Randall seems so real - runs in her hose, descriptions of outfits, and the way she feels about Richie... I love Robert Parker's characters, and Sunny Randall is definitely a favorite. This is was great book - lots of action, great relationships, and pithy dialogue. Who could ask for anything more?
Chris May
Robert Parker supposedly started this series writing a character for Helen Hunt to play in a movie version of the book. It's very "Robert Parker." There's a P.I. (Female this time) a shrink, (who is good friends with the PI) and a love interest. (who happens to be her ex-husband, who is connected to the mob)

Sunny Randall is an amalgamation of Spenser and Jesse Stone (no addiction struggles, but same can't-live with them, can't live without them struggles with her ex as Stone, Same desire to be i
Steve
I came across this Sunny Randall character whilst reading a Jesse Stone story so after finishing the Jesse Stone book I checked out Sunny Randall. I found that it was a whole series of books by Robert B Parker so I decided to wade in and read the first book in the series, Family Honor. What a great read but in fairness and I don’t think it’s unkind but Sunny is a female version of Jesse Stone as they have much in common no wonder the got on so well. She smart, attractive and still madly in love ...more
Jeremy
Sunny Randall is a former cop who has become a private eye. She’s left her husband and is in the process of getting a divorce. Her husband is a member of a Boston crime family, and she has trouble with his associates. As a policeman, her father had been trying to put his family in prison, and this was a huge conflict in Sunny’s marriage. Sunny is hired by a rich couple whose 15 year old daughter has run away. The father trying to become governor but when Sunny starts checking, it turns out their ...more
Guy
Robert B. Parker - Family Honor (1999). Veelschrijver Parker kan geen slecht boek schrijven. Family Honor, het eerste deel van de recent opgestarte ‘Sunny Randall’-serie is volledig wat ik ervan verwachtte: luchtig, slim en funny as fuck. Zonder steeds gebruik te moeten maken van vergezochte oneliners slaagt Parker er toch steeds in om met enkele beschrijvingen, typeringen en gejaagde dialogen indruk te maken. Zijn personages zijn eigenlijk niet meer dan karikaturen; ze spuwen ad remme nonsens a ...more
Robert Beveridge
When you know from the outset that a writer wrote a book solely for the film rights, and wrote the main character for a particular actor, you can prepare yourself for what's coming. Such is the case with Family Honor, which was written for Helen Hunt. (It's already, of course, been optioned.)

Parker is, of course, best known for the Spenser novels, but when he chooses to get away from them, more often than not his main character is a recognizably different person than Spenser is. Sure, Spenser an
I absolutely adore Robert B. Parker's books and have for years. Sunny Randall is Parker's first female private eye, but she has much in common with Spenser and Jesse Stone while still being her own character. She believes in being as self-sufficient as possible, but doesn't have the same set moral code that Spenser does. Like Jesse she's working through a divorce that hasn't ended the relationship with her ex, but she doesn't have the same alcohol problems and she has a much more secure support ...more
Jen
Robert Parker introduces Sunny Randall in this mystery. She's a private detective hired by Broch and Betty Patton to find their daughter Millicent who has run away. Finding Millicent isn't the hard part, keeping her alive is. Sunny's gay friend Spike and her ex-husband Richie join the effort to protect this young girl from the men out to kill her.

Sunny Randall is a great character. She is so dynamic - one minute a budding artist and the next a super sleuth. She's willing to try things to be able
Siv30
סאני רנדל היא ציירת וחוקרת פרטית. היא נשכרת ע"י משפחה עשירה לאתר את מיליסנט הבת המתבגרת שלהם שברחה מהבית וירדה לזנות. אבל מיליסנט לא רוצה לשוב לביתה וסאני מגלה שהבעיות שלה רק החלו.

סאני נעזרת בקסמים האישיים שלה, בגרוש שלה ובידיד שלה ספייק לפתור את התעלומה.
כמיטב המסורת של פרקר ב. רוברט, למרות שהספר קליל הוא לא מזלזל באינטליגנציה של הקוראים. הוא לא ספר מתח במובן הרגיל וכבר בערך באמצעיתו יודעים את התשובה לכל שאלה, אבל הוא קולח, הדמויות עגולות ואפילו עמוקות.

בהחלט ספר ראוי לשם ניקוי מוח.
Gilek
when I finished, I thought; "I look forward to reading this again". .lighthearted. funny. nice easy to see moral plays. charming characters.
the fact that it is not only enjoyable, but also had the wise lessons in it, makes it a book that both my lazy self and my ambitious self can agree on, and so I can happily read it again.
I did dislike all the noting of people's races as it seems to suggest that a persons skin color is actually a note worthy thing, as well as a definer of who the person is
Richard Brand
I bought this book thinking it was a Spenser mystery, but it was Sunny's book. It is a quick read with the same snappy comments made by Sunny that Spenser makes. It has many of the same formula. Gay tough guy, mafia help from ex husband, she has a psychology friend. I am not sure I accept all this on and off again love with her ex husband. I am not sure that the story line was believable, but it was a good day's waste and so I give it a three.
Ginnie Leiner
A quick read; I liked the main character Sunny Randall but this was not a challenger in anyway. Almost no character development and lots and lots of dialogue; albeit, good dialogue. I found the book in the airport when I had finished my own book before I finished flying home. Sitting there at the Southwest gate, begging someone to pick it up.
James
Dec 14, 2010 James rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who reads Robert Parker
I've enjoyed Parker's Spenser series, so I thought I'd give his Sunny Randall series a try. Our library has almost the entire series, unlike Spenser which sadly has big holes in the sequence.

The characters in this series don't have the same depth as you find in the Spenser series. That could be because it is the first book or because Parker has more trouble writing a female lead character. I guess I'll find out as I read more. On the other hand, it was a relief to skip the chauvinism that is typ
Margaret
Finally got to this one - There were some things I liked about it and some not so much. Like his Spenser books, this one was set in Boston, which I really like. The character of Sunny was fairly appealing but I didn't like that she relied so much on fire power to make her point. But at least there was a little vulnerability in her - she felt the impact of killing someone and there was some warmth toward the people (and dog) in her life. But in some ways (maybe due to her use of guns or a little ...more
Frank
This is the first of Parker's Sunny Randall novels and the first that I have read. I thought it was very enjoyable - a fast-paced thriller very similar to the Spenser novels but with a female PI. The plot involved the disappearance of a 15-year old girl who turns to prostitution on the streets of Boston. Sunny finds her but there is more to her story than simply running away from her parents who have pretty much neglected her for all of her life. It turns out the mob is looking for her for witne ...more
Tricia
I did not enjoy this as much as the Jesse Stone novels, the Sunny I am familiar with did not seem to match the one presented here. But this is also just the beginning of her changing into who she is in the other series, so I am not giving up yet :)
Philip Booth
First Robert Parker book I've read, found it at used-book exchange at All Children's Hospital in St. Pete.
Story follows Sunny Randall, a Boston female detective (first book in new series, apparently) who also has a passion for painting. She's beautiful, of course, and talks tough. She's divorced from a guy from a mobbed-up family, but she's still friends with him, and possibly still in love with him. Sunny has to crack a case involving a wealthy, politically ambitious family with deep, dark sec
Mary
Audio version: 2 stars because of the sound engineer inflicting his "talents" on the recording. Thinks it's clever to fade in and out during the middle of a conversation. Incredibly annoying.
Jeff Dickison
Good introduction to Sunny Randall. Sunny takes a job to find a missing girl and winds up protecting her from her parents and a group of killers. Recommended to Parker fans.
Sheridan
I understand that Parker created this series for Meg Ryan. Sunny is suitably delightful and the supporting characters are fun, as one expects from the author.
  • Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • Robert B. Parker's Damned If You Do (Jesse Stone, #12)
  • Poodle Springs
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Pepper Pike (Milan Jacovich, #1)
  • Negative Image (Constable Molly Smith #4)
  • Tropical Heat (Fred Carver, #1)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Critical Space
  • Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)
  • The Bishop in the West Wing (Blackie Ryan, #14)
  • The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully, #1)
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Cry Dance
  • Flesh & Bones (Jake Lassiter, #7)
  • Choke
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Sunny Randall (6 books)
  • Perish Twice (Sunny Randall, #2)
  • Shrink Rap (Sunny Randall, #3)
  • Melancholy Baby (Sunny Randall, #4)
  • Blue Screen (Sunny Randall, #5)
  • Spare Change (Sunny Randall, #6)
The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) Sixkill (Spenser, #39) Painted Ladies (Spenser, #38) Chance (Spenser, #23) Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)