Start by marking “Foul Play” as Want to Read:
Foul Play

Foul Play

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,602 Ratings  ·  475 Reviews
When Amy Klasse loses her TV job to a dancing chicken, handsome veterinarian Jake Elliott rescues her with an offer to be his receptionist. Jake just can't resist a damsel in distress, and Amy certainly doesn't mind Jake's charming sincerity.

Then suddenly the job-stealing chicken disappears and Amy is suspected of foul play. Amy and Jake search for clues to prove her innoc
Paperback, Large Print, 192 pages
Published October 28th 2008 by HarperLuxe (first published February 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Foul Play, please sign up.

Kimberly
I read this one in one night. Cute story, but there isn't much to it. A little romance, a little humor, and a little adventure makes for a good night's entertainment.
Julie (jjmachshev)
Oct 27, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
I really enjoyed reading "Foul Play" by Janet Evanovich. This is one of her very early books written for a serial romance publisher in the late 80s/early 90s, and it's very well done for what it is. Evanovich describes these early books as "red-hot screwball comedies" and while I do agree with the screwball comedy, "Foul Play" was very much G-rated. So if you enjoy a very light romance with side-splitting laughter, this is definitely a book for you.
Dec 10, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die hard Janet Evanovich fans.
Light, fluffy and fun. It was fun to read this in part because it is early Evanovich - so it was rougher than her Plum books are - but her humor and motifs are still there.

I did have a hard time with some of the stuff in this book. The leading man is Jacob Elliott. He is in the parking lot at the grocery store waiting patiently for Mrs. Moyer and her dog to back out of a parking spot so he can pull in. (He knows it's Mrs. Moyer because he is the town Vet - and he recognizes her dog.) But! Befor
Marianne
Foul Play is a pre-Plum novel by popular American author, Janet Evanovich, and was originally published under the nom-de-plume, Steffie Hall. Amy Klasse’s life has just taken a turn for the worse. Her position as children’s TV hostess, Lulu the Clown has just been usurped by a trained rooster, and she’s spitting mad. When veterinarian Jacob Elliott spots her making her seething way around the supermarket, he falls instantly in love. And offers her a job. But matters get complicated when the roos ...more
Cathy
Just a light, silly romance, but that's all it was meant to be. If you want a few chuckles, go for it.
Melissa
May 31, 2009 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf
As I have previously mentioned, I love Janet Evanovich. But her early works are really fluffy and just okay. The premise of the book is a young woman named Amy gets fired from her job as Lulu the Clown because the new program director replaces her with a rooster. In her dismay, she catches the eye of a hunky veterinarian and they fall in love within a matter of minutes. Did I mention that she is a 26-year-old virgin? The job-stealing rooster winds up at veterinarian-man's place of work and soon ...more
Trisia
Jul 11, 2015 Trisia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really a half star would be more suited. The narrator on audio was horrible. Voice like Maude on Golden Girls. Cheesy doesn't even come close to an accurate description...Story was just ridiculous. Why someone as talented as Ms. Evanovich would attach her name to this book is beyond me. I would have quit listening, but needed noise in the car.
Cyndi
Aug 16, 2015 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book was so cute! Funny romance.
Dyana
Feb 03, 2015 Dyana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book I read was complex and dense. So this time around I wanted a light quick read. Well, this book (my 1st Janet Evanovich) was so light and fluffy that it practically floated off when I set the book down!

Amy Klasse is Lulu the Clown on a local TV station and has just lost her job to a dancing chicken (and it's "hot" trainer). The rooster can cluck "The Star-Spangled Banner" and count with its toes. Hopping mad, Amy stops at a grocery store on her way home where Jake Elliott, a veterin
Morgan
Fluffy "romance". It's very, very early Evanovich, so there are the bones of the style that would lead to Stephanie Plum, but it's very very rough and full of both unrealized potential and problems.

A woman loses her job as a clown on a morning show....to a rooster. (Missed opportunity for FOWL PLAY.) She meets and insta-loves a hunky vet and gets a job as his receptionist. Oh, and she's still a virgin.

There's not really any will they/won't they, because the romance is non-existent since it's ju
Hannah
Actually 3.5 stars.

This is a wacky, irreverent, and often laugh-out-loud funny book. It's a quick read, perfect for when you need a mood-booster. The romance between Jake and Amy is sweet, and the "mystery" plot, if it can even be called that, is highly entertaining. Very enjoyable, as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Barbara M
I read this one thinking it would be my "Thanksgiving" book for November. It was tagged that way but this has nothing to do with Thanksgiving but a lot to do with a rooster rather than a turkey. Bad tagging but fun little book. It was a quick read, one of Janet Evanovich's early works under the pseudonym Steffie Hall, probably when she was writing for Loveswept.

I looked up Evanovich on Wikipedia to find out who Steffie Hall wrote for and learned some interesting things about Evanovich's early w
Joyful
Feb 04, 2010 Joyful rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a funny, quick typlical Evanovich read. I enjoyed it, had some laughs, but not much else was gleaned from this one. But if you enjoy Janet Evanovich, I'm sure you will enjoy this one!
Kelly  Schuknecht
May 12, 2015 Kelly Schuknecht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance
I'm kind of new to romantic fiction. I typically read non-fiction (various categories), but I recently read Home and Broken Home by Rachel Smith and I enjoyed them so much I wanted to read more in this category. I picked out a Janet Evanovich book because that was a familiar name and I've never read anything by her before.

Foul Play is an easy read with an interesting balance between silly (the whole story is based around a job-stealing chicken after all) and slightly risqué. The risqué part is
Jennifer Durdle
Jan 18, 2016 Jennifer Durdle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a disappointing book. Of the 98 books I read in 2015, this was by far the worst. Given, chicklit usually isn't my genre of choice, but once in awhile I satisfy that guilty little pleasure and read a girly book. I don't go into it thinking that I'm going to get an intellectual read, I know it's going to be fluff. This story however, was just absurd (and I'm not even talking about the rooster). The characters were unrealistic, and idiotic. They were annoying, and very unbelievable. To be ...more
Tonya Lucas
Oct 18, 2013 Tonya Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun and witty light hearted romantic mystery! When life is so full of tension and turmoil, this is the kind of book to escape into. Enjoy!
Nikka Calindas
Ok, if a guy admits to falling in love with me at first sight in a supermarket parking lot, enough to follow me around to my home and offer me a job, I would have run as fast as I could to the opposite direction no matter how gorgeous the guy is. I mean, c'mon, haven't you seen stalker films before?

But still, despite the thin and ridiculous plot, props to Janet Evanovich for making me at least giggle to the silliness of it all. This is the reason why I'm rating it three stars instead of a two st
Nicole
May 18, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little story, but there were so many things that bothered me. So much of the story drove me nuts, from Amy being pure to turning into a tramp, to Jake knowing from the minute he saw Amy that he wanted to marry her, to Veronica's complete stupidity and the idiot 20 minute men. When I tried to just sit back and enjoy a far fetched story I was better able to enjoy. If you're looking for realism, then just move on past this book. If you are looking for a ridiculous, yet still entertaining and f ...more
Sep 02, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ariel would love this
Colleen Scidmore
This book is a corny love story where Jake sees Amy at the supermarket after she pretty much has every accident that is possible, and instantly falls in love with the damsel in distress. Jake offers Amy a job as his receptionist at his vet clinic so he can be 1) closer to her and 2) also because she had just lost her job as Lulu the clown on a children's show to a dancing ROOSTER named Red.
While Amy is working at the clinic Veronica Bottles, the ditzy but curvaceous rooster trainer, brings a ve
Oct 26, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm all for fun romance books but this was just a bit to much fluff for me. While I love the Stephanie Plum character, Janet Evanovich has a habit of making her heroine's cute but lovable klutz's. Which is fine for one character, but every heroine?! I didn't feel like J.E. wrote the character's thoughts & dialogue with a good flow, like what they were thinking would change so quickly between thoughts and conversations, I guess. It was an easy read, but this was way to much "love at fir ...more
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Ho un debole (un GROSSO debole!) per la serie di Stephanie Plum; amo lei, amo Joe Morelli, amo nonna Mazur e Lula e soprattutto le situazioni improbabili e l'ironia killer che la Evanovich è riuscita a creare..
Non so se avete mai avuto quel sentimento contrastante che vi porta a voler leggere TUTTO ciò che uno scrittore ha prodotto e contemporaneamente avete un po' paura di beccare il romanzo che porterà il disamore..
Ecco, tro un po' titubante a lanciarmi sui primi lidi creati dall'autrice, sop
Debbie
Nov 04, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love at first site, in a grocery store parking lot? Jacob Elliott was pretty sure he was hooked after the first site of Amy Klasse in all her klutzy ways like tearing her dress, dropping the eggs, forgetting her purse and locking her keys in her car. The store cashiers and customers all agreed that the local veterinarian was the type that any women would love to make dinner for, but Amy didn’t know if she could trust herself, he made her ‘tingle’ just being so close. What a day, she had lost her ...more
JBradford
Jul 01, 2009 JBradford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I missed this one somewhere along the way, as i read it weeks ago but just came across it while trying to clean up my desk in order to find something else. I am very fond of Janet Evanovich's books, as I have previously mentioned, and this was a delightful find. This was one of 12 novels that Evanovich wrote before she discovered Stephanie Plum and became famous. It is a pure romance (maybe the word "pure" is inappropriate here) and full of the whimsical fun that makes Evanovich great. I am a su ...more
Jteare
Apr 06, 2013 Jteare rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foul Play by Janet Evanovich is a corky, bubblegum read, romance novel. And I loved it!

I personally listened to this specific book using my iPhone, while driving to and from Tuscaloosa. This is a fluff read. Not deep, but entertaining. This is a perfect read for a pool day, airplane flight, or as I did it as a book on tape for car ride. Wildly entertaining, with an absurd plot line I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
The story opens by introducing you to the two main characters Amy Klasse and Jake El
C.C. Thomas
I chose this book because it was written by Janet Evanovitch and I love her Stephanie Plum series. This, folks, ain't no Plum! This was an early Evanovitch and it clearly shows (I believe it was originally written under another name). The book doesn't have the hallmarks of her masterful writing skill, but it was still a fun read. I found it inspiring, as an author, that great writers can show such growth and not come out of the womb a master author!

The plot is rather convoluted: Amy loves her j
Chris
Apr 11, 2016 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story is so light I'd better write this quickly before I forget what it was about. Evanovich's sense of humor does shine through those otherwise incredibly weak story. Amy Klasse is Lulu the Clown on the local TV station. Or she was until the station manager decided to replace her with a dancing chicken. While venting her frustration by just about destroying the local supermarket, Amy catches the eye of local veterinarian Jacob Elliot who is instantly smitten. He immediately picks up Amy an ...more
Miss*Kitty*
This book was a good one. It said it was a funny book to and it is. I got some laughs out of it. its a very interesting book to.
The chicken ends up missing and when it came to the end of the book and I found out what happen to the chicken I didn't see that coming so that part of the ending was real good. I would diffidently recommend this book to people to read if you would like to read a mystery comedy love book.
review by Connie
Ferne
Nov 10, 2013 Ferne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is a note that this book was originally published as a "Second Chance at Love" paperback in 1989, in a slightly altered form, by the Berkley Publishing Group under the pseudonym Steffie Hall. I did not realize that Janet Evanovich was one of the authors that published her work using a pseudonym. The new title and 'cover art' capture the story with the humor and lightheartedness that one can always expect from one of the author's novels.
Or, as per one of her quotes, "Romance novels are birt
Kajal
Aug 11, 2015 Kajal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romedy
It is a silly little romantic novel that you can read in one sitting based on an absurd yet hillarious plot.
Amy loses her job to a chicken and later is accused of its murder. So unreal and absurd.
Jacob Elliot the charm boy Vet loses his heart to the angry clumsy 26 year old virgin and plays detective to save her...
Nice and short joyful romantic read for a sunday afternoon.
  • The Grand Finale
A pseudonym used by Janet Evanovich for several early novels.
More about Steffie Hall...