Start by marking “Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What” as Want to Read:
Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What

Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What

For the millions of girls--and the women they grow into--who are mad about horses, who live to ride, who spend more time in stables than stores, who know the difference between a hock and the fetlock, comes a sweet, charming, wise, obsessive celebration of the bond between woman and horse. Written and illustrated by Bonnie Timmons, the award-winning artist whose signature ...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Hold Your Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold Your Horses

Libby
Apr 20, 2009 Libby rated it really liked it
Very cute little gift book for riders and horse lovers - made me laugh aloud. Certainly has a lot of horse "truths" in it.
Suzanne
Oct 24, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Entertaining!
Candace Wade
May 04, 2015 Candace Wade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
If you need a mini-break and a good laugh, taste this delicious book. You don't have to be a rider, just a willingness to recognize the foibles of being human and the personalities than animals can inflict on us. Quick, fun, colorful, real. I bought several copies to give to my women friends who DO ride and/or own horses. Love it.
Heather
Feb 28, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: first time horse owners
Recommended to Heather by: my vet
got this book wheni first got my horse. helped me out quite a bit
TheLibraryOfSarah
Nov 23, 2014 TheLibraryOfSarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Read this so many years ago, this book was hilarious!
Alice Harvey
Aug 27, 2016 Alice Harvey rated it it was amazing
Adorable.
Dejanira Dawn
Sep 10, 2016 Dejanira Dawn rated it really liked it
H.orses
Nov 24, 2009 H.orses rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Haha, this book made me crack up on the first page. Bonnie takes the world of equestrians taunting truths and pulls them together in an amazing laugh out loud book. Turn to a random page and read a bit, I'll guarantee you'll let out a laugh. "The children are crying either because they didn't win first place... didn't win even seventh place... or because they won the blue ribbon but their favorite color is pink." This book is great for any horse lover, I know I loved it.
Kenley
May 24, 2009 Kenley rated it it was amazing
my sister got this book for her birthday awhile back, and i occasionally pick it up to read. it's hilarious! so many things in there are so true and funny! it's more for people who are into horses or have siblings/friends that are into horses, such as myself with my sister. but it's so great w/ cute drawings and hilarious jokes!
Gmc
Sep 13, 2013 Gmc rated it really liked it
Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What (Paperback) by Bonnie Timmons. This is a collection of cartoons that where published in the "Practical Horseman Magazine", and is a spoof on horsemen and woman, the horse gets the best lines. Very funny:)
Jul 30, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
my favorite book under all circumstances!
can't get enough from reading it.. it takes around 15 min. to finish the whole book.. i don't know if it was meant to be for kids but it's so funny and makes me laugh over and over! hope i can get more books like this one!
Rivkah.
Aug 31, 2011 Rivkah. rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a really cute read that told the God spoken truth, that no one wants to admitt, about what horseback riding, and horse ownership is really like! Very fun read that I would recommend to friends!
Aug 18, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: horses
Nuggets of truth for people who love horses, as the title says. These cartoons are hilarious because they are so accurate, and won't resonate nearly as strongly if you're not a horse person.
Juliana
Nov 29, 2012 Juliana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horse lovers/equestrians
Recommended to Juliana by: Riding instructor
Love this! A lot of the jokes are only understood by more experienced riders, but anybody can enjoy it. It would be a great gift to any horse lover or rider :)
Anastasia
Jul 11, 2012 Anastasia rated it really liked it
No matter how many times I read this (or how long it has been since I have been on horseback) I always laugh out loud.
Amy
Dec 25, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Very cute and a fun read for horse lovers!
Katie
Jan 14, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american
A hilarious book filled with incredibly true snippets about those of us who are in love with horses....
Paige
Jun 07, 2007 Paige marked it as to-read
Saw this at bookstore. Looks super cute. Cartoons by the woman who drew for the show Caroline in the City.
Amber
Dec 01, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
Very cute book to have sitting around the classroom. Fun read for short breaks. Enjoy!
Jenna
Sep 29, 2010 Jenna rated it it was amazing
This was extremely cute. I couldn't put it down I was having such a hoot reading it!
Kalen
Jan 06, 2011 Kalen rated it it was amazing
Wonderful light hearted read for any horse lover!
Renae
Apr 28, 2012 Renae rated it liked it
A short, charming read. Not much more to say for it.
Kirstin Chiasson
Aug 11, 2013 Kirstin Chiasson rated it it was amazing
laugh out loud funny, must read for all horse types
B
Jul 16, 2009 B rated it it was amazing
Very, VERY funny...
Jacqueline
Jun 01, 2011 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
So good, cute, and true.
Haley
Aug 13, 2009 Haley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loveit
So cute, and very true.
Angela
Sep 11, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
Great book.... so true.
Leslie Frazier-richmond
Leslie Frazier-richmond marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Lauren Norman
Lauren Norman marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Virginia Rodriguez
Virginia Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
  • Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II: Inspirational Tales of Passion, Achievement and Devotion
  • Centered Riding
  • How to Think Like a Horse: Essential Insights for Understanding Equine Behavior and Building an Effective Partnership with Your Horse
  • The Art of Horsemanship
  • Funny Cide
  • Horses
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • Sundancer
  • Native Dancer: The Grey Ghost: Hero of a Golden Age
  • Dancing with Horses: The Art of Body Language
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Diablo: My Dream Horse (Diablo, #1)
  • Stud: Adventures in Breeding
Bonnie Timmons drew all the cartoons for NBC's long-running hit CAROLINE IN THE CITY. Her work has also appeared in the New York Times, Time, Outside, and other national magazines and newspapers. She lives on a farm in Pennsylvania with her husband and a personal menagerie that includes an ever-changing cast of horses.
More about Bonnie Timmons...