Start by marking “Stormwarden (The Cycle of Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stormwarden (The Cycle of Fire, #1)

Stormwarden (The Cycle of Fire #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,488 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The first novel in the The Circle of Fire trilogy. As a new plot threatens mankind's survival, three children stand at the crux. All possess extraordinary talents, but each of them is flawed. In need of all their help is the Stormwarden, last Vaere-trained sorcerer, condemned now and trapped in a desperate quandry. Previous publisher: Ace.
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published March 1st 1995 by HarperPrism (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Stormwarden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormwarden

Sandra
A great fun fantasy romp for YA. Written in 1986(?) or so, a lot of precursor for the Wars of Light and Shadow. Not at all in the story, but in some of the fantasy elements, and definitely the sea and sailing. Now I can't wait for 2&3 to come out on Audible.
MissSusie
This is a great epic fantasy! The two older sorcerers The Stormwarden, Anskiere & the Firewarden, Ivain had a major falling out and there was a geas placed on Ivain’s son and son’s of his son’s so now it comes to pass that Anskiere has called upon this geas .Which is where the children Jaric & Taen come in.

What makes this an Epic fantasy is there are children who know not what they can do or where they come from, there is a quest and there are demons and sorcery. There is adventure and k
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

This is a great time to be an audiobook reader! I’ve said often recently that I’m so pleased with Audible Frontiers for bringing us some older fantasy literature on audio, and this month their UK production team released Stormwarden, the first novel of Janny Wurts’ The Cycle of Fire trilogy which was first published in 1984.

Having greatly enjoyed Wurts’ stand-alone novel To Ride Hell’s Chasm, and knowing how several of my fellow FanLit reviewers feel about
Contrarius
May 16, 2015 Contrarius marked it as dnf
Shelves: fantasy, gave-up-on
Once again the curse of the YA book has struck. Granted, this is not "officially" classified as YA despite its three young protagonists, and to the extent that I listened (nearly 6 hours into a book of roughly 16 hours length) it was neither simplistic nor predictable in its plotline, as I often complain about with YA books.

Nonetheless, the tone of the writing continually irked me. We spend very little time inside the heads of any of the characters. Many times I wanted to know more about what a
Lana
great fantasy the first in a series which i must admit i am excited to continue reading!!
Elizabeth
I am late to the Cycle of Fire series; my introduction to Janny Wurts started with The Curse of the Mistwraith and never deviated series-wise. I read Stormwarden out of curiosity while I, like other devoted readers, wait patiently for Destiny's Conflict. I was pleased to find that many of Wurts's same themes and plot structure are here, although written on a smaller scale--Stormwarden proved to be a nice supplement for my Wars of Light and Shadow jones.

The Stormwarden Anskiere is bound by law by
Lorinda
I liked the basis of this story just fine, the only thing keeping me from really liking it was the fact that a good portion of the action scenes take place on ships/boats at sea. If you are a sailor this would have been fine but the use of so much sailor jargon left me feeling lost just when I should have been on the edge of my seat. I haven't decided if I will continue the series due to this writing style, but I feel engaged in the plotline and want to discover what happens to the characters so ...more
Matthew
Lbd
Sep 06, 2007 Lbd rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Janny Wurts first attempt at soloing after her co-authorship with R. Feist. Excellent writer, takes you into another world and lifetime of two feuding brothers, their goals of attaining power and peace. Magic, mayham, powers that can destroy at a thought.
Kerry
May 30, 2014 Kerry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want to have the time to enjoy working my way through this series again and right now I just don't have that. So I'm marking this as read to stop it nagging me from my "currently reading" shelf. I'll go back to it some time after I finish WoLaS.
Simon
One of the few epic fantasy series that I really enjoyed, have recently reread and got on audio as well, love the twists the series takes as it builds.
Grimward
My first exposure to Janny's stuff. Loved the crafting of Anskiere and the other characters (Kielmark was a favorite). Wonderfully intricate plots.
Caroline
I remember this being a very entertaining trilogy back when I read it, not quite as epic as the Mistwraith series but that's part of its charm.
Margareth8537
Re-reading this series, and prefer this first book to the other two, although I enjoy the series
Noelle Campbell
A great start to a trilogy. Classic underdog. Great use of magic, prophecy and history.
Helen
#1 Firecycle trilogy, loan from Penny
Elentarri
Original concept, beautiful writing.
Jonathan
This book had so much potential. The ideas are brilliant, the characters are great, the central conflict as well as the character's? Compelling. So, what went wrong? Well, put simply...priorities were clearly mismatched. When the author can spend six pages at a time describing the grueling process of sailing on harsh waters and details regarding comparatively insignificant background events whilst travelling from place to place, but then sneeze central character's backstories in LESS THAN A PAGE ...more
Juls
Love it so far!
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
chris wilcox
chris wilcox marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Ruth Kevghas
Ruth Kevghas marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 26, 2015
  • Temple of Terror (Fighting Fantasy, #14)
  • Harp of Winds (Artefacts of Power, #2)
  • The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)
  • The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5)
  • Sea without a Shore (Moontide and Magic Rise, #2)
  • Artificial Things
  • Northern Storm (The Aldabreshin Compass, #2)
  • The Jackal of Nar (Tyrants and Kings, #1)
  • The Mage-born Child
  • The Crystal Palace (The Book of Elementals, #2)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • A Blackbird in Silver
  • Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
Janny Wurts is the author of War of Light and Shadow series, and To Ride Hell's Chasm. Her eighteen published titles include a trilogy in audio, a short story collection, as well as the internationally best selling Empire trilogy, co authored with Raymond E. Feist, with works translated into fifteen languages worldwide. Her latest title in the Wars of Light and Shadow series, Initiate's Trial, cul ...more
More about Janny Wurts...

The Cycle of Fire (3 books)
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • Shadowfane (The Cycle of Fire, #3)
The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light & Shadow, #1) Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2) Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2) The Ships of Merior (Wars of Light & Shadow, #2; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #1) Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow, #4; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #1)