Start by marking “Bazil Broketail (Bazil Broketail, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bazil Broketail (Bazil Broketail, #1)

Bazil Broketail (Bazil Broketail #1)

The city of Marneri gives no thanks for the century-old protection of the Great Spell this year. Dark Masters of Padmasa want to end all freedom and color in the world and kidnap Princess Besita. If village dragon Bazil Broketail and his Orphanboy Relkin cannot prove their lighting mettle in an arena of honor, can they rescue Besita from Doom's fortress?
Published August 4th 1992 by ROC (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Bazil Broketail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bazil Broketail

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
177th out of 1,025 books — 1,981 voters
The Thousand Names by Django WexlerThe Red Knight by Miles CameronMalice by John GwynneWorm by WildbowHouse of Blades by Will Wight
r/fantasy's Official Underrated and Underread Fantasy
236th out of 481 books — 589 voters

More lists with this book...

Leif
Dec 14, 2015 Leif rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The fact that this is not a more well-known novel continues to irk me. I can only assume that the cover art killed the sales of this series. In fact, I often use these books as an example of the worst cover art that I have ever seen.
Bazil Broketail is a fantasy novel written in a style that reminds me of military science fiction. Rowley has the ability to give just the right amount of detail so that the reader can understand exactly what is happening at any moment, even in a chaotic battle.
Nicole
Jan 10, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. Rowley has such talent at world building. Kills me that the books are so hard to find now. This was possibly one of the best fantasy series I've ever read... and I'm VERY picky when it comes to fantasy.
Melissa Martin
Sep 13, 2014 Melissa Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fantasy-all
I'M SO GLAD MY BEST FRIEND GOT ME INTO THIS SERIES. AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE IS ONLY 7 OF THEM. I GOT THE FIRST ONE USED OFF AMAZON AND NOT FAR INTO IT, I WENT BACK ON AND GOT THE NEXT 6 USED ON AMAZON.

I LOVE BAZIL THE SWORD FIGHTING DRAGON. I LOVE SO MANY OF THE CHARACTERS AND I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE WHOLE SERIES.

A LOT OF BLOODY BATTLES, SAD THINGS, EVILNESS, A LITTLE SWEETNESS :)

EITHER WAY, JUST READ ABOUT IT AND IF YOU LIKE THESE KINDS OF BOOKS I HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
Michael Hall
Jul 01, 2013 Michael Hall rated it it was amazing
Unquestionably one of my favorite fantasy series that deals with dragons. These dragons are not mythical creatures, nor are they simply pets or mounts. These dragons are unique individuals with quirks and personality. Striding around on their hind-legs wearing leather armor and swinging 10 foot dragonswords they are a vision of incarnate carnage on the battle field. Light and easy to read this book contains more than just an excellent adventure, it explores the depths of the human soul and it's ...more
Thomas Mcnulty
Dec 24, 2012 Thomas Mcnulty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Still one of my all time favorite books and series that I've read. As many have said, really surprised that this isn't more well known. Or the fact that it is so hard to find the books now. Real shame! If you get a copy, enjoy!
Lauma Lapa
May 07, 2014 Lauma Lapa rated it it was amazing
I'd dearly like to shake the hand of the translator in whatever other language of this one. The language is..challenging.
And yes, Bazil Broketail is one of my all-time favourite dragons, together with Mnementh, Kant (from Dragonflight, the Dragon from Blue Moon Rising and Saphira (Eragon, and Robin Hobb creations.
This is a book about war and how ugly it gets, and a book of nuances of taste, colour and sound.
Highly enjoyable, especially when one is encumbered by less creative writing, such as
Meryl
Jun 06, 2012 Meryl added it
Bazil Broketail is unquestionably the best book I have ever read.

Relkin of Quosh and his dragon Bazil are a hardworking, kind, and whiney duo. Relkin has been trying to get his hands on a dragon stamp so Bazil could join the army. Relkin had recently gotten one from his friend and tried joined the army. Later Relkin was informed that the stamp was actually a fake. Will Relkin give the authorities the slip and join the army and go on the wildest quest ever? Or will Relkin be caught and executed.
R
Jun 07, 2014 R rated it it was amazing
Bazil Broketail did not live up to my expectations. It exceeded them, over and over. I picked up this series expecting (based on the woefully inaccurate cover art) a fantastic farce: idiot dragons-as-mounts, foppish riders with ridiculous weapons, helpless princesses, and other such silliness. What I got were fully sentient dragon-soldiers (the best realized I've yet seen) and their human assistants, clear and detailed descriptions of sometimes fantastic locales, and a surprising variety of char ...more
Amber
May 25, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amber by: Dad
A good begining to a series of seven books. Subsequent books might not have been as good, but were still enjoyable. If you stick with this, and give it a chance, it doesn't disappoint.
Eh?Eh!
Mar 14, 2008 Eh?Eh! added it
Shelves: babble-added
a lender from a coworker who also had recommended Bridge of Birds

the tone is very pompous, really takes itself seriously, couldn't finish this (sorry G-Olla-gist!)
Kat
Jul 09, 2015 Kat rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
Interesting viewpoint on dragons. Too many place names and military buzzwords- can get confusing.
Emmy
Sep 09, 2016 Emmy rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I really liked this book. The romantic relationships weren't very good, but they were the only negative thing about the whole book. The relationship between dragon and dragonboy is adorable and hilarious, I laughed throughout the book and often reread scenes because they were so good. Overall this was a fantastic book and I would recommend it, if it wasn't quite so preoccupied with romance and such. Just give me the dragon and dragonboy by themselves any day.
Nerva Maximus
Nov 16, 2014 Nerva Maximus rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed it, it went along at a hood speed and I found myself liking Bazil and his dragon boy Relkin. A great adventure story of the few brave soldiers facing great odds and winning against the overwelming enemy.
Marilyn
Jan 21, 2015 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Fun read. Can't wait to read the next one.
Chloe
May 29, 2016 Chloe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This is one of the first books I remember buying with my own money. When I was in fifth grade I went on a school trip from the backwoods of North Idaho to Washington DC. My parents gave me what little spending money they could scrounge together to pick up a souvenir. Rather than following my classmates and spending it all on astronaut ice cream from the Air & Space Museum, I bought this book. It's been over a decade since I last read it, though, so I think it's time to see if it lives up to ...more
Andrzej
Jul 02, 2014 Andrzej rated it really liked it
Good fantasy mix - swords, magic, dragons (even if most of them lack wings) and the enemy who would like to rule the world :)
Raptorix
Mar 05, 2015 Raptorix rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I only ever really enjoyed this book for its portions about Bazil and his dragonboy, and his fellow Dragons in his squadron. I became very bored whenever the narrative went over the parts about the different warring factions plotting against each other. Bazil was more facinating to read about, obviously! I sadly only could manage to read 2 of the many books in this series, and I hoped that maybe another held more Bazil scenes than this one.
Rachel
Aug 14, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A great read! Classic fantasy at its best!
M.A. Ray
Dec 24, 2013 M.A. Ray rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Very good. All the classic elements -- plus dry humor and smart, tough, practical dragons that retain the animal while having humanlike intelligence. Masterful handling of third-person omniscient.
MarsianMan
Dec 24, 2008 MarsianMan rated it liked it
I kinda skimmed through the ending because I was short on time. It was interesting, but more as an introduction for a series. Decent but not great read.
Matthew Mummel
Jul 31, 2014 Matthew Mummel rated it it was amazing
wonderful book right to the end for those misfits in the world this book is for you.
Gretchen
Apr 15, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it
This is a different take on friendly dragons. I would not recomend it for young readers.
Chris Matthys
Oct 30, 2013 Chris Matthys rated it it was amazing
The first in one of my favorite series. I reread these about once every five years.
Antonio Simon Jr.
Jun 13, 2013 Antonio Simon Jr. rated it really liked it
A bold start to one of my favorite fantasy series. Doesn't disappoint.
Ernest
Ernest rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Javine Mckenzie
Javine Mckenzie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
  • A Hero Born (Realms of Chaos, #1)
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • The End of the Game (The End of the Game, #1-3)
  • The Far Kingdoms (Anteros, #1)
  • The Seventh Book of Lost Swords: Wayfinder's Story (Lost Swords, #7)
  • The Book of Earth (Dragon Quartet, #1)
  • Villains by Necessity
  • The Only Living Boy #1: Prisoner of the Patchwork Planet
  • Dragon's Winter
  • The Throne of Scone (The Tales of Aeron, #3)
  • The Dragon on the Border (Dragon Knight #3)
  • Chasing the Dragon
  • The Silver Stone (Keepers of the Hidden Ways, #2)
  • The Rover (#1)
  • Mother of Winter (Darwath #4)
  • The Dragon's Dagger (Spearwielder's Tale, #2)
Christopher Rowley is a prolific writer of both science fiction and fantasy novels. He was born in 1948 in Lynn, Massachusetts to an American mother and an English father. Educated for the most part at Brentwood School, Essex, England, he became a London-based journalist in the 1970s. In 1977 he moved to New York City and began work on The War For Eternity, his first science fiction novel. He curr ...more
More about Christopher Rowley...

Bazil Broketail (7 books)
  • A Sword for a Dragon (Bazil Broketail, #2)
  • Dragons of War (Bazil Broketail, #3)
  • Battledragon (Bazil Broketail, #4)
  • A Dragon at Worlds' End (Bazil Broketail, #5)
  • Dragons of Argonath (Bazil Broketail, #6)
  • Dragon Ultimate (Bazil Broketail, #7)