Start by marking “My Son, the Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #5)” as Want to Read:
My Son, the Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #5)

My Son, the Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #5)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A WORLD OF TROUBLES--TIMES TWO!

When Matt Mantrell--Her Majesty's Wizard--conjured himself from magical Merovence to his hometown in New Jersey, he discovered that vicious drug-dealing gangs had reduced the old neighborhood to a wasteland--and forced his parents to the brink of destitution. For Matt, the only answer was to transport them safely back to Merovence with him.

B
Published June 28th 1999 by Del Rey Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about My Son, the Wizard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Son, the Wizard

Kristina
getting mom and dad involved was pretty great, but the author forgot a few details along the way. Spelling of Narlh's name, for one. The fact that he established that dragons teeth do not grow back, for another. He even brought up Maxwell's Demon but not as a character. possibly these books are greater appreciated when spaced out enough to forget the fine details.
Michelle Wardhaugh
I always forget how good his books are until I crack open another and sit there giggling for a while. This is light fun, and I enjoyed the inclusion of family. However, for some it could get a bit preachy. True love and the honoring of one's spouse is well worth showing, but bludgeoning people with the same theme at least three times over makes it feel less worthy. Still, once that backed off and the story went on, it was fun and frivolous again.
John
So far, Stasheff's bible thumping has overpowered the fun and playfulness of this once vibrant series. His attempts to recapture the intrigue and wonder of the first book are overshadowed by his thinly-veiled attempts to illustrate the damage and dangers of drugs, all the while showing a very unrealistic reactions and behaviors by all of the characters. A weak and preachy chapter in an otherwise fun series.
This was the first book of the Wizard in Rhyme series that I ever read, and the one I always go back to when I feel like reading something that I know I'll enjoy reading again. Stasheff's style is very Fantasy, but the touches of skepticism and scientific leanings by the characters make it seem more believable than your average Fantasy book.
Arwen
Read this series back in the 90s. He does a good job of including the importance of religion during the medieval period. I didn't read any further after this one and I thought the inclusion of his parents as wizards was a little contrived.
Lori
While the series starts out as quite entertaining, it starts to fall off in plot quality after the first four titles.
Abraham Ray
nice book of the wizard in ryme series!
Jenniffer
This is a cute book.
shannon
shannon marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Thea
Thea is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2015
Jonathan Todd
Jonathan Todd is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2015
Sandra Verga
Sandra Verga marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Rosemarie Kind
Rosemarie Kind marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Christopher Esser
Christopher Esser marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Gloria Cookson
Gloria Cookson is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
  • The Wiz Biz (Wiz, #1-2)
  • Treaty at Doona (Doona, #3)
  • Lord Darcy  (Lord Darcy, #1-3)
  • Chorus Skating (Spellsinger, #8)
  • Bride of the Slime Monster (Cineverse Cycle #2)
  • Heroics for Beginners
  • By Honor Betray'd (Mageworlds, Book 3)
  • The Secret of Dragonhome (Dragonhome, #1)
  • The Destiny of the Sword (Seventh Sword, #3)
  • Memory of Fire (The World Gates, #1)
  • Castle Spellbound (Castle Perilous, #7)
  • Hour of the Octopus (D'Shai, #2)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの驚愕 (前) (Haruhi Suzumiya, #10)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action / Sweet Myth-tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #9-10)
  • Lest Darkness Fall/To Bring the Light
Christopher Stasheff published his first novel, The Warlock in Spite of Himself, in 1969. He is often credited as one of the founders of the "science fantasy" genre. Over the next forty years, he wrote 44 novels, 29 short stories, and edited 7 anthologies. His most popular works are the Warlock of Gramarye series and its spin-offs, the Wizard in Rhyme series, and the Starship Troupers.

Stasheff has
More about Christopher Stasheff...

Wizard in Rhyme (8 books)
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1)
  • The Oathbound Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #2)
  • The Witch Doctor (Wizard in Rhyme, #3)
  • The Secular Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #4)
  • The Haunted Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #6)
  • The Crusading Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #7)
  • The Feline Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #8)
Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1) The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock Series, #1) Escape Velocity (Warlock, #0) The Warlock Unlocked (Warlock, #3) The Oathbound Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #2)