Start by marking “Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's” as Want to Read:
Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's

Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  203 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's is the cookbook that shows you how to make delicious food in minutes using ingredients all from Trader Joe's. By using fresh ingredients strategically coupled with Trader Joe's prepped items, you can have healthy, home-cooked gourmet meals with typical working times of around 10 minutes.
Published June 1st 2008 by Brown Bag Publishers (first published December 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's

Margie
Feb 26, 2010 Margie rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I like the idea more than I like the book itself. Because Trader Joe's is the home of prepackaged, quasi-pre-prepared food, this is not so much a cookbook as a bunch of ideas about how to present the food. There are a few dishes that look really creative (there's a saag lasagna that looks intriguing), but some of them seem like little more than a list of foods that you can serve with whatever it is you bought at TJ's (hummus, for example - serve it with pita crisps! and red pepper strips!).

It's
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 23, 2013 Farnoosh Brock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: healthy-body
Deana Gunn is the co-author of two books, Cooking with All Things Trader Joe’s, the main cookbook and The Trader Joe’s Companion – A Portable Cookbook, for carrying with you to the store. She is also my cousin and my friend. Yet it was more than a year after I knew about her books before getting my own copies, and now I wish I had not waited so long. With all the cookbooks we have, I did not think we need yet another one – but there was often the frantic rush to 3 or 4 different stores to pull t ...more
Alan Matsumoto
Jan 05, 2009 Alan Matsumoto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Very easy recipes drawn from ingredients found entirely in Trader Joe's stores. I've made two recipes from the book (pasta alla checca and eggplant parmesan pasta) and they tasted great and were super easy to put together. I also appreciated that they had photos to accompany almost every dish. I like to see what I'm going to cook.
Colleen
Jun 13, 2010 Colleen rated it really liked it
I was a bit underwhelmed with this cookbook because I didn't find a lot of items that sounded appetizing. That's probably just my personal dislike of certain foods that permeated a lot of the recipes. Someone less picky would probably find this book a bounty. Especially given that it contains approximate 120 recipes -- so there are plenty of recipes from which to choose. The selection is varied too: soups, salads, appetizers, side dishes, desserts, drinks, light meals, and family meals.

Many of t
Caitlin
Jan 06, 2011 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Trader Joe's shoppers
Recommended to Caitlin by: Mom
Shelves: food
Okay, I didn't actually READ this cookbook, but I want to recommend it to those who shop regularly at Trader Joe's. It has quick, easy, week-night kind of recipes and some excellent ideas for things to do with TJ's products. I'm a pretty advanced cook, but don't always have the inspiration to pull multiple TJ's semi-prepared products together into something more interesting than the obvious. This will definitely improve the variety of my basic dinner menu rotation. So far the recipes I've tried ...more
Linda
Jan 08, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Trader Joe's fans
Shelves: cookbooks
I ended up buying this after checking it out from the library. Everything I've tried so far has been delicious: the almond pudding, persian green beans, updated green bean casserole, pesto gazpacho, muffaletta. I've also used it for inspiration, making my own version of italian wedding soup, green garbanzo salad, and pork enchiladas-- which became pork tostadas, really. Note- I'm too lazy to go find the book and get the recipe titles correct.
Katie
Aug 30, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
I love going to Trader Joe's so when this book came in the new books at the library I immediately checked it out. I made the totasta recipe and they were excellent. I made some others and they were good too.

My only concern is being able to find all the ingredients at my local Trader Joe's

I think I will ask one of my sisters to give it to me for Christmas.
Allison
Feb 11, 2010 Allison marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
hoooooly crap! the library has this one, and I am 3rd in the queue! how to make the most of my trader joe's lifestyle, which I thought was already pretty good without the book!
Laura Dogsmom
In their thank you notes at the beginning, the author's thank their families for tasting "the yummy to the crummy." Paging through these fabulous, glossy, full color, drool-worthy photos, I doubt these family tasters suffered much.
If you are looking for inspiration or creative simple ideas to share with friends, this book has you covered. I have kept it out just to page through while waiting for the man to make me dinner.

Not only is it a sturdy construction, the pages wipe off well too.
There is
Margee
Oct 26, 2009 Margee rated it liked it
These recipes are handy if you routinely buy from Trader Joe's, though much of what the stores offer is gourmet-style convenience food for those times when you'd rather *not* cook, so the value of the recipes seems marginal. The book's true worth probably lies in menu-planning--a good 'idea' book.
Don
Two friends share their recipes for quick gourmet meals using ingredients found at Trader Joe’s. Included are some appetizers and other dishes that would be great for holiday entertaining. Keep up with new recipes and ideas at the book’s website, blog, and Facebook page.
Katie
Nov 12, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE this cook book! I am just starting to cook more and this has been really helpful with guiding me since everything is simple and everything I make is delicious! Checked it out from my local library, and loved it sooo much that I just bought a copy for myself.
Juliet
Nov 15, 2009 Juliet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Seemed like a good idea...but it feels like the ideas are a little TOO simple to have warranted a cookbook. There are a few more complex recipes (with ingredient lists to match), but most are just variations of things you could probably figure out on your own.
Janet
Feb 06, 2009 Janet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
My eyes perked up when I saw this in the library, but honestly, there's nothing perky in here. If I'm going to purchase TJs products, I'm either going to use them as is, or use them creatively myself, and not turn to a recipe to figure out what to do with them.
Jane Smith
Oct 02, 2008 Jane Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great cookbook. This one doesn't leave our kitchen counter. The ingredients are easy to find and the recipes are formatted very clearly. Black Bean Soup and Stuffed Peppers and the chocolate mousse are my favorites.
Jane Smith
Oct 02, 2008 Jane Smith rated it it was amazing
Courtney
Oct 08, 2009 Courtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is interesting and gave me a few new ideas on how to cook with Trader Joe's foods. Nothing too earth-shattering but I did appreciate that EVERY recipe had a picture! Wish every cook book was that way.
Stephanie
This is a brilliant idea, and even though I sometimes feel like I cook with all things Trader Joe’s, I think I could expand my repertoire with this book. They don’t sell the book at Trader Joe’s – too bad!
Diane
Jan 07, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
Made the Chipolte Chili last night and it was Very Good! Definitely will become one of our preferred cookbooks, especially since we shop Trader Joe's every week!
Maggie
Nov 10, 2008 Maggie rated it really liked it
Unfortunately, I have heard that the inventory turns over so much at TJ that a lot of the recipes in this book are now obsolete. Boo!
Hank
Dec 22, 2008 Hank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-book
The TJ's fanatic in me totally approves, especially given that the authors are also TJ's fanatics. And no, they're not getting paid by TJ.
Shazia
Jan 17, 2010 Shazia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jane Gov
The recipes are so easy. I will be trying some of them and will also try to buy my own copy of this book.
Lori
Mar 09, 2010 Lori marked it as to-read
Trader Joe's ROCKS so this looks like a book I have to read. And I love to cook too!
Maryanne
Aug 24, 2009 Maryanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, easy, yummy recipes using ingredients from T.J.'s
Jul 17, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Nothing new here . . . just a lot of cardboard packaging.
Miss Mouse
May 20, 2009 Miss Mouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-cooking, 2009
Some neat ideas.
Lisa
Jun 02, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
fist of all i must say that i requested this book from my library sad to say that this was not the book that i asked them to get i wanted to see the gluten free trader joe's this one looked very out dated and NOTHING looked good in fact the pictures of the food made it look like nastiness yuck i found nothing to make from this nothing at all very disappointing.
Nicole
Mar 07, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It looks good but their rescipes are not to my liking but other people would like it.
Nov 24, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Took with me to Tday dinner so the relatives who cook could look at it, we all agreed the photos make the receipes look good. Can't wait for TJs to open here. I might copy a few pages to see if I can make the dishes. Not finished wishing with it, kind of like the sears catalog when I was a kid. Today, 24 Nov 12, I marked the pages I will copy, to see if I can make a receipe come out like the photo. I'm turning the book in tomorrow, if the few cooking attempts turn out successful I may have to le ...more
Cleokatra
Dec 18, 2014 Cleokatra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I love this book! It has lots of useful ideas for things you can do with some of the unusual products found at Trader Joe's. I borrowed this from the library, but I'm thinking of buying my own copy.

ETA Santa brought me an Amazon gift card, so I'll be buying this book now.
  • Pack a Lunch! Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook Easy Lunch Boxes
  • Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Skinny Dish! Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook
  • Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook: Lighten Up!
  • My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats
  • The London Ritz Book of Afternoon Tea
  • The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2007: The Year's Best Recipes, Equipment Reviews, and Tastings
  • What Chefs Feed Their Kids: Recipes and Techniques for Cultivating a Love of Good Food
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • Even More Top Secret Recipes: More Amazing Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods
  • Breakfast Comforts (Williams-Sonoma): With Enticing Recipes for the Morning, including Favorite Dishes from Restaurants Around the Country
  • Meatless Meals for Meat Eaters: Over 150 Delicious Recipes
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • The Best of Cooking Light: Over 500 of Our All-Time Greatest Recipes
  • The Art of Simple Food II: Recipes, Flavor, and Inspiration from the New Kitchen Garden

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Deana Gunn holds a BS from MIT and a PhD from Northwestern University, both degrees in electrical engineering. She later gave herself an honorary degree in foodie-ism. Deana discovered Trader Joe's when she moved to California in 1997 and shopped at the very first Trader Joe's during her years living in Pasadena.

Through necessity, as her life became more hectic juggling kids and full-time jobs, s

More about Deana Gunn...