Start by marking “Pattern (Scavenger, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pattern (Scavenger, #2)

Pattern (Scavenger #2)

K.J. Parker's SHADOW began a ground-breaking new series that takes fantasy into remarkable new territory. Now, with PATTERN, the extraordinary story of Poldarn takes a new shape.

In a world he does not know, Poldarn's future is uncertain. Pursued by invisible enemies, and haunted by the demons of his past, nobody can be trusted - not even himself, it seems. Attempting to pi
Published March 6th 2003 by Orbit (first published May 16th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Pattern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pattern

Jason
2 Stars

I only made it 12% into this one. I loved book one of the Scavenger Trilogy even though it is not an easy read. I reviewed book one before starting this one and was looking forward to it. Unfortunately this book has been way too slow for me at this time. Nothing has happened. Zero, zilch, nada...

I will make my way back to this when my attention span can handle the glacier pacing. until then...
Frank
Jan 08, 2013 Frank rated it really liked it
For some reason, this series gets a lot of hate in the reviews - most of the negative reviews fixate on the "complexity" and difficulty in following the story. I'm glad I ignored the haters on this one.
My personal experience is that I read the first in the series some years ago, loved it, and stumbled upon the remaining bits in the trilogy in a used bookstore. After finishing the second, I immediately picked up the third because the series is that damn good. I picked up the necessary back story
Peter
Mar 13, 2011 Peter added it
A very worthy sequel: In the first book of The Scavenger Trilogy, Shadow, many things were discovered about the main character Poldarn, from the scattered memories of his past which returned to him in fragmented form in his dreams. But many more things were revealed about K.J.Parker, the most obvious being this man is a major new talent in the fantasy genre, and has assured himself a place in my personal must-read list from here on; another discovery about him is that he loves to toy with his re ...more
Tom Loock
May 01, 2012 Tom Loock rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Revised comments now that I've finished Memory.

Easy to see why this one divides Parker/Holt-fans:
It's an unusual novel for him. While the first novel in the Scavenger-trilogy, Shadow, follows Poldarn and plays (or should I say, intentionally confuses the reader) with events in the present and at various times and places in the past, this one is all Poldarn, all straight forward, all one location.

Though marketed as 'fantasy' there is no a fantastic element here (as in all of Parker's novels so
Carina
May 22, 2012 Carina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Our confused and amnesia suffering Poldarn (who knows what is name is anymore!) has finally made it home on an Island that he spent his childhood. His people have abilities he has long forgotten how to use and that makes him the outcast, something they keep reminding him that he was before he left as well, so nothing much has changed really. He tries to settle though, but starts peering up at the mountain that has been named Poldarn's Forge, a Volcano. He spends most of his time having flash bac ...more
Brian Maicke
Feb 09, 2010 Brian Maicke rated it really liked it
Ben
May 31, 2012 Ben rated it did not like it
Tedious and failing to engage the reader, this book is a real slog to read through. Parker strings us along with vague hints of something more interesting to happen at some point further down the line. It had been some time since I read the first part of this, so I had forgotten how frustrating it was - but it came back to me with time. Naturally, this ends with nothing at all being resolved and the vague hint that whatever this series is actually about may be revealed in the third book. Unfortu ...more
Joseph
Jul 16, 2012 Joseph rated it really liked it
Poldarn is back in his home country, still amnesiac, still having flashes of memories that may or may not be his, gradually finding hints that perhaps there was a reason he had to leave many years ago.

Again, Parker does a fine job of grounding the story with convincing details about smithying, carpentry, etc. And this time there's a volcano that takes center stage. The book ends as it pretty much had to end, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things wrap up in the final volume of the trilogy.
Nev Percy
Aug 02, 2011 Nev Percy rated it liked it
I loved the Scavenger Trilogy. I probably loved Pattern least because the first half felt rather slow. Pastoral nordic homestead life is already familiar to me through re-enactment, but whinging about being the only one in the community without telepathy can only fill so much of a book -- and the vaunted telepathy thing never becomes as big a deal as it should, it's really only incidental to the overall tale!
Samantha Balmes
Not very magical for a sci fi book. A lot of description of daily routines of the characters. Some parts of the book are repeated word-for-word in later parts. So far, could have combined the first two books into one, more concise book, by getting rid of most of the banal text that doesn't add anything to the story. Sometimes excessive detail is tedious and detracts from the story rather than add to it.
David
Feb 07, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
With Poldarn's return to his island home and to his (vaguely telepathic) people, this series really takes an interesting turn, as the protagonist grapples with his identity and his talent at reforging metal into new forms... as well as people. A very unconventional fantasy book that examines the nature of identity, personhood, community... a must read!
Chaundra
Nov 26, 2013 Chaundra rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Weird doesn't even begin to describe this. Oh it starts innocently enough and ramps up slowly, but by the end you're starting to wander if this is what madness is like. Or at least multiple personality disorder. Still, it's brilliantly crafted and you can't help but want to know how much weirder it can possibly get.
Lindsay
Jul 10, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, z2007
A really interesting idea for a story, the main character in this series is fascinating. This book got darker as it went along, exploring the more unpleasant side of human nature, and how the best of intentions can lead to terrible events.
Elvet
Feb 07, 2010 Elvet rated it liked it
This book tells of Poldarn's return to his homeland, and puts together those pieces of his early life. It's hard to reconcile his amnesiac self with his former life of violence and destruction, though that pattern seems to haunt him even when he tries to do good.
Paresh
Aug 04, 2014 Paresh added it
Continued from the first book, more about patterns that are the cycles of life and death, folded into over and over again.
Saud Alsubaie
Intense story with some very funny parts
Liviu
Apr 16, 2009 Liviu rated it it was amazing

Great sequel to Shadow; Poldarn back home, householder, farmer and soon to be married, and death, disaster and mayhem follows despite his best intentions; just great
Jenne
Mar 20, 2010 Jenne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I love this series so hard, and it's so frustrating because I know that none of my friends are going to want to read it!
Brian Grossman
May 12, 2012 Brian Grossman rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Rachel Toh
Apr 14, 2013 Rachel Toh rated it did not like it
Bells. That's all I have to say. If you skipped this entire book and went straight to the third, you would not have missed much.
Donnelle
Aug 17, 2011 Donnelle rated it it was ok
I'm still immensely confused, but can't stop reading.
Joshua Siler
Joshua Siler rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2017
Craig Newmark
Craig Newmark rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Dries
Dries rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Kevin Gage
Kevin Gage rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Jason Veal
Jason Veal rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Kivrin
Kivrin rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2008
Krmayes
Krmayes rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • The Borrible Trilogy (The Borrible Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Perseus Spur (Rampart Worlds #1)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • Chess With A Dragon
  • The Dusk Watchman (Twilight Reign, #5)
  • Soldier of Arete (Latro, #2)
  • Tower of the King's Daughter (Outremer, #1)
  • The Stricken Field (A Handful of Men, #3)
  • Empire of Bones
  • Firebird
  • Hush (Dragon Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Poisoned Crown (The Sangreal Trilogy, #3)
  • Dead Bad Things
  • Ghosts in the Snow (Dubric Bryerly, #1)
  • The Tainted (Isles of Glory, #3)
  • Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3)
  • Newton's Cannon (Age of Unreason, #1)
K.J. Parker is a pseudonym for Tom Holt. The author's true name was revealed on 21 April 2015.

According to the biographical notes in some of Parker's books, Parker has previously worked in law, journalism, and numismatics, and now writes and makes things out of wood and metal. It is also claimed that Parker is married to a solicitor and now lives in southern England. According to an autobiographi
More about K.J. Parker...

Scavenger (3 books)