Start by marking “The Satan Seller” as Want to Read:
The Satan Seller

The Satan Seller

2.84 of 5 stars 2.84  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A former Satanist high priest reveals the demonic forces behind the fastest growing and most deadly occult religion in the world. 214 pages; 4.25 x 7 inches.
Published February 1st 1978 by Logos Associates (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Satan Seller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Satan Seller

Tim
Nov 09, 2008 Tim rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The sadists out there
Recommended to Tim by: Many people
Shelves: misc
Walt Murray
I read this book at least twice in high school and college, and in my second reading began to feel that there were some serious inconsistencies (for example, the name of his wife in the book and on stage were totally different). As I moved away from flirting with Pentecostalism I shelved this book. A few years later I learned that others had seen some of the same problems and were able to expose Warnke as a fraud. I wish he had the class to come out and admit the lies, and that until he does so ...more
Chrismpadgett Padgett
Well at the time I really liked this book, because like most people who read it they thought the story was in fact an authentic biography. We had a few of his tapes, and I can remember even going to see him live once when I was a kid. I loved his comedy and approach to ministry! It was in the late eighties I think, when his ministry was called into question. It was reported that he was never a satanic priest, nor had he been in the military, etc. It was a mess! Hard to take someone seriously who ...more
Sheryl Tribble
I found the book interesting reading but I was not at all surprised to discover most of it was fabricated. The author gloried in the horrors of his supposed past life an awful lot for someone who had supposedly repented (turned in the opposite direction), but the more I disbelieved the more his hubris fascinated me. I suppose much of the interest was "is he self-deluded, or deliberately lying?", and should probably re-read it in light of Selling Satan.
Bob German
I was given this book a long, long time ago as a curious, wide-eyed early teen, by a guy who, looking back, was uber-religious and pretty creepy, and probably wanted to molest me. The crazy thing about books like this, is that just like "Go Ask Alice," it's far more likely to encourage someone to experiment with the "forbidden fruit" than to scare them away from it. I mean who doesn't want to be able to set things on fire with their mind? Looking back, it's far easier to see the author as a chee ...more
Matt Friedman
I read this volume as a fairly new follower of Jesus in the early 1980s. I was shocked and touched, but as I listened to a number of different presentations by Warnke on cassette, I had this nagging feeling that something didn't quite add up.

As has been well-known for over twenty years, this "autobiographical" account was largely fabricated. In the mid-1990s, I was handed a copy of the magazine containing a deeply damaging account, not only of this book, but of Warnke's entire testimony. John Tr
Rob Roy
Filled with lies
Justin Rose
An enthralling book that kept my attention throughout. I bought the story with hesitation until Warnke talked about his military career. Then I knew that I either misunderstood what he was saying, or he was lying. My delima was answered in chapter 12 with his supposed baptizing with the Holy Spirit. Such an erratic experience does not come from the Holy Spirit of God the Father, but from the deceptive spirit of the father of lies, the devil.
While I was still reading, I mentioned Warnke's drug us
Isaac Gallaway
Basically written with strong message throughout. Gives a good insight into the life of the occult, the cost it takes, and the power of Christ. An older book with verbage from an older time period, but gets the message across. Be warned: Not a book to read at night.
Grady
I read this book almost 30 years ago. I also listened to his albums and even saw him in person around the same time. It was no surprise to me when just a few years later he was discredited by JPUSA's Cornerstone Magazine because there were obvious discrepancies between what he wrote in the book and the stories on his albums. This charlatan was cited as an authority on "Satanism" by many evangelicals and television talk show hosts. File this in the same basket as the writings of Jack Chick, "Dr" ...more
Liz Novak
Worst book I've ever read! Going outside to burn it right now.
Mike Brooke
I personally really liked this book. I read it when I was 13, 15 years ago, and it started me down the path of investigating the Illuminati. Whether this guy was lying or not (which, of course, even if he wasn't, the secrets that he was giving away in the book would defn prompt someone to make it look like he was.), this book really opened my eyes and inspired me to seek knowledge that I would have not have otherwise sought. Which I am very grateful for.
Book Fairy
I read this book before I found out that the author was a liar, even reading this book I felt he was just a spoiled brat who wanted attention and who obviously still does hence Satan's Seller. It was so far out there but there were some entertaining parts. I do not like to give spoilers are go into detail about the story, I would have to give it a D+ or a C-, quick and easy read.
Justin
Jul 28, 2011 Justin added it
I read this book as a young boy and was amazed at this guy as he was a leading Christian Comedian of his time, maybe the only one. I was disapointed later on to hear that it was all a lie. It taught me that even Christians that are famour are not immune to lying and sinning. It also taught me to put Jesus up high, not man!
Karen L.
I gave this book a rating of 2 because before I found out that Mike Warnke had lied about so much of the story, namely the stating that he was once a Satanic High Priest, I did enjoy the story. However now that I know about his numerous failed marriages and all the lies, I do not recommend this book to anyone.
Rick
Once upon a time Warnke was a respected teacher on Satanism. Then it came to light that his lurid stories were pure fabrications. If you Google his name you will get the whole story. Not recommended, other than as fiction. Or to cement the need for accountability.
Jesse Markus
This is the "true story" of an ex-Satanist turned Christian. I read this when I was, I dunno, ten? Twelve? It deserves three stars because, in spite of being completely full of shit, it's still pretty entertaining.
Michael
I read this during my teen years. It had a very strong impact upon my desire to learn more about the occult. Of course years later The truth about Mike Warnke came showing him to be a liar and a hoax.
Debby
I think the author of this book has been proved a fraud, but this is still an entertaining read. So he made Satanism look a little more lurid and evil than it is, I would still share a beer with the dude.
Dan
It was a fascinating read, but much of his ministry has since been called into question, and it appears he may have lied about a lot of stuff. Who knows.... Good read nonetheless, even if only as fiction.
Tim
Jun 24, 2011 Tim rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: memoir
Read this many years ago, back when I thought Warnke was legit. Now we know he's not; don't read this. Read "Selling Satan" by Mike Hertenstein instead, to see how people can be easily led astray.
Tajsha
I read this book some time back in '97. This was a definite page turner for me. It was like watching a scary movie for me. I wanted to turn away, but I just had to know how it would end.
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I really enjoyed this book. It's basically about how one man goes from practicing satanism to practising christianity. It was a very interesting story.
Paula
As a teen I loved this book (as I loved Mike Warnke) and read it several times, however I don't want to rate it as it's been exposed as a lie. Very sad
Brad
Loved this book....Scared me to death and had my imagination running wild. Too bad he was revealed as a fraud. Great story though!
Jeff Jenkins
Sadly, an investigation has found contradictions with Warnke's story: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Warnke
Karla
This book was all the rage in the 1970's. I believe Warnke's story of his involvement was debunked some years later.
Philo
Take the religion out of it and it's not a bad book. I don't care that it's been proven false, I found it entertaining.
Marianne
A pretty good read until you learn that this "biography" is a hoax...then it just becomes a good read.
Priest Apostate
Unfortunately, I can't give this a '0'.
  • Daughter of Destiny: The Only Authorized Biography
  • Michelle Remembers
  • Portraits of Integrity: Real People Who Demonstrated Godly Character (Volume 1)
  • A More Excellent Way: Be in Health: Pathways of Wholeness, Spiritual Roots of Disease
  • Help! I'm Laughing and I Can't Get Up: Fall-Down Funny Stories to Fill Your Heart and Lift Your Spirit
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • I Believe in Miracles
  • Elijah, Steps to a life of power
  • Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication (Great Lives From God's Word 4)
  • The Last Days According to Jesus: When Did Jesus Say He Would Return?
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • Hostage to the Devil - Reissue: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans
  • Angelwalk (Angelwalk, #1)
  • Satanic Panic: The Creation of a Contemporary Legend
  • The Case for Christmas: A Journalist Investigates the Identity of the Child in the Manger
  • Smith Wigglesworth: Apostle Of Faith
  • The Witch's Familiar: Spiritual Partnerships for Successful Magic
  • My Glimpse of Eternity
Schemes of Satan Friendly Fire Hitchhiking on Hope Street Friendly Fire: A Recovery Guide for Believers Battered by Religion