Start by marking “Advanced Marathoning” as Want to Read:
Advanced Marathoning

Advanced Marathoning

Want to run a faster marathon? Commitment and hard work are essential but you also need to train smarter to run faster. Advanced Marathoning contains all the information you'll need to run faster, peak for multiple marathons without injury, and meet your marathon goal--whether it's running a personal best, qualifying for the Boston Marathon or winning your age division.

Ext
Published February 7th 2001 by Human Kinetics Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Advanced Marathoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Advanced Marathoning

Raro de Concurso
Dec 08, 2010 Raro de Concurso rated it really liked it
Un libro básico que todo aquel que quiera preparar un maratón y le guste entender lo que pasa por su cuerpo antes, durante y después de la prueba, debería leer. Está centrado en el maratón, pero los capítulos que no corresponden a planes de entrenamiento, sirven igualmente para corredores de fondo.

Está planteado de una forma muy muy práctica. Explicaciones fisiológicas, formas óptimas de entrenamiento, consejos para el día "D", problemas que pueden surgir, etc. Todo ello intercalado de casos de
Daniel
Jun 22, 2009 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
This is a great marathon training book, and I know several runners who have used the Pfitzinger plans to run their best marathons. I like his focus on pacing variations - lactate threshold, VO2 Max runs, general aerobic. Anyone who is serious about training needs to understand the physiological aspects of running, and Pfitzinger introduces those concepts very clearly.

As for me and my marathon training, I get bored with just running, so I'm picking and choosing some of the specific ideas from thi
Paul
Mar 03, 2011 Paul rated it really liked it
Excellent book for transitioning from moderate to heavy marathon training. Good discussions of what matters for marathon success, why it matters using physiological explanations, and how to approach the appropriate workouts to achieve better results. My only regret is starting this book 15 weeks into my training for Boston -- duh.
Lurel White
Dec 07, 2011 Lurel White rated it really liked it
I loved having all of the background and science behind why they were suggesting things. I used this training plan to run my first marathon and felt that it had adequately prepared me. I did, however, find the organization of the content a little chaotic. Overall, great content, but could be organized better.
Col
Jan 27, 2011 Col rated it liked it
good book for a marathoner looking to run between 3hrs and 2:30.
Got some useful strategies in it.
Jeff Kissel
Dec 25, 2012 Jeff Kissel rated it liked it
Shelves: sports-training
It's a training book so is only so interesting to read. However, I did enjoy the inserts written about specific elite marathoners. For a training book, I found it to be comprehensive covering schedules, workout structure, cross-training, race strategy, recovery, and nutrition among other topics. The author also does a good job defending their training philosophy and providing rationale for the advice given.

I followed the 18 week, 55 mile peak training plan for a marathon and decided to wait to r
David
Sep 22, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shooting for a Boston qualifier? Ready to take aim at a sub 3 hour marathon? Geared up to knock some time off your PR? If you answered yes to any of those questions you need to get this book. Pete Pfitzinger, long-time columnist for Running Times magazine and former Olympic marathoner, puts all of his training advice together in this comprehensive guide for running your best 26.2 miler. What I like best about the schedules is the mileage maxes out at three different levels, so if you are interes ...more
Danny
Mar 08, 2014 Danny rated it really liked it
Detailed, concise and thorough. Advanced Marathoning is certainly a decent bible for one's marathon training. I think it covers a lot of ground which you can encounter on the web in a more practical manner now, but it is nonetheless a good read for any runner. The book is not particularly long, but one of the crucial questions evidently is how much it ought to include in a guide that covers everything from interval runs to hydration. There were times where I wish it could've gone more in-depth a ...more
Adolfo Salgueiro
Jun 10, 2013 Adolfo Salgueiro rated it really liked it
This book is extremely technical. It get into subjects such as VO2Max, type of twitching fibers in your muscles, percentage of heart rate reserve and multiple other issues that even someone with years of experience still has a difficult time to understand. But on the other hand, it also expands on nutrition, hydration, physiology, rest and recovery, tapering, cross training and multiple other elements that even the most average of weekend warriors can find useful as he incorporates them to his w ...more
Kyle Klute
Nov 22, 2009 Kyle Klute rated it it was ok
Not too impressed with this book. I would have liked to had much more discussion on nutrition before and during the marathon and the research behind it. I also was looking for some specific stretching or strength training exercises rather than the "see this book" that was given several times. I'm glad I checked the book out from the library and didn't spend my own money on it. The same material can be easily attained from a couple articles from Runner's World and/or Running Times.
Stephanie Kuehn
Jul 01, 2010 Stephanie Kuehn rated it it was amazing
Love this book, love the methodology...especially the emphasis on the midweek semi-long run and the practical approach to speedwork for distance runners. It's accessible enough for first time marathoners (with a solid base) and challenging enough for the high mileage front-of-the-pack runners. I recommend this book for any runner who is looking to do more than "finish" a marathon...if you want to race one, this is a great book and the training plans are excellent. Happy running!
Stephen Redwood
Nov 04, 2012 Stephen Redwood rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
Comprehensive, useful and quite readable. If you believe the research reported in the book 'Waterlogged', then you should treat the advice about hydration with some circumspection, but otherwise the combination of detailed explanations about what to do and why to do it in terms of marathon training, together with specific training plans for different standards of runner makes for a valuable reference book.
Melody
Sep 19, 2015 Melody rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, running
For the elite, but I can pretend.

Read this in preparation for running The Outer Banks Marathon (Nov. 8, 2015). My first marathon in a while (last one was in 2008). I used some of the advice in this book, but like I started with, it was mostly advice for much faster runners than me. But it got me pumped!

(PS the Outer Banks Marathon is an incredibly well-managed race and I highly recommend it. Beautiful place and really nice people.
Joe
Oct 16, 2011 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Should be renamed the bible for marathons. The book includes 3 plans ranging from max weekly milage of 55, 70, and 85 miles. There are also recovery plans and multiple marathon plans. The book explains each type of run and why it is beneficial for the marathon. The book doesn't go into as much scientific detail as Daniel's Running Formula, so would be a lot more approachable for most readers. A must-read for anyone serious about their running!
Lüc Carl
Dec 29, 2011 Lüc Carl rated it it was amazing
If you've run at least one full marathon and you're interested in running becoming a bigger part of your life this book is bad ass. Half of it is training programs which I still follow (for the most part) today. By far the most useful of all running books I've read.
All How-To. You'll have to find your own inspiration.
Keith Kendall
Feb 09, 2011 Keith Kendall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
Written with lots of deference to Jack Daniels, and in much the same style, or in other words, with much the same approach. It has an emphasis on lactate threshold runs (tempo runs) and on VO2 max runs.
Autumn Howard
Apr 28, 2013 Autumn Howard rated it really liked it
Loads of great information here. Lots of relevant detail but in an easy to read format. Covers everything from diet and core exercises to the training plans and race day itself. Going to be referring to this ALOT over the next few months!
May 08, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
granted... i didn't read all of this, but the specific parts i did read were well-written, had great ideas, and sound advice. i'll be training with their up to 55mpw plan this summer as I train for the Akron marathon and for the MCM. Looking forward to it.
Terry
Nov 07, 2009 Terry rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for marathoners.
Mark
Dec 26, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. I read about 5 marathoning books and this was BY FAR the best (no doubt there are other excellent ones). In brief, the things I like are:
1. It's more based on research than many others. I learned to trust Pfitzinger&Douglas because they quoted research when they could and when it was conjecture, they tended to say that openly.
2. It includes enough information on heart rate training to make the switch to that (which I did). They give enough to go by pace (which most runners
Jan 13, 2016 Erin rated it liked it
This is a great book for someone who would like to hit a time-goal for a marathon. It's very scientific in it's approach to explaining how and why each training day works. I thought it was interesting that "while genetics play a big role in .... here's how you improve ....". The training plans look really great and that's mostly why I'm excited and looking forward to putting in the work to train for another marathon. I wouldn't say it's motivational or inspiring, but a good way to learn about ho ...more
Blake
Jan 21, 2016 Blake rated it really liked it
Good explanations of the different purposes of each type of workout. I haven't done a training plan out of this yet, but after looking at them they look good to me. I'm not sure any particular plan is much better than any other as long as there is a mix of speed, tempo, distance, and of course recovery or cross training. The advantage of these plans is that they focus on higher mileage. They also break the training into "mesocycles" which are ~4 week periods with a specific physiological emphasi ...more
Oliver MacDonald
Dec 13, 2015 Oliver MacDonald rated it really liked it
This is the book to take your marathoning to the next level. These training plans are all high-mileage and assume that the reader is a fairly experienced runner looking to better their marathon time and not just finish one.

I would recommend this book to accomplished/aspriring marathoners of any level, even if they don't have the mileage to start any of the training plans(The lowest mileage plan peaks at 55 miles a week). The information regarding hydration, nutrition, race-day strategies and imp
Koji Kawano
Feb 27, 2013 Koji Kawano rated it it was amazing
I wish I read this book, Advanced Marathoning, 4 weeks before. That would have let me follow one of their shorter programs for Boston (eight weeks to go!) and I could have avoided the calf/Achilles tendon strain that put me off the training past three weeks! Ugh!! In Advanced Marathoning, Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas explain each aspect of training in detail and provide integrated solutions and training schedules for experienced marathoners. Read more.
Rhoda
Nov 30, 2010 Rhoda rated it liked it
Shelves: running
Good advice mostly, but not enough about changing race strategy when the weather throws you a curve ball on the day of the race. My race was unusually hot and humid for the time of year & I felt unprepared for how to manage it. I made some mistakes of my own in pacing - not sticking to my plan and running an inconsistent pace for miles 8-18 (some too fast, some too slow) and paid for it when I hit the wall around Mile 20.
Rob
Jan 11, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very complete. The key to the programs in this book are probably the long runs with increasingly longer patches at marathon pace (as opposed to fast finish long runs).

I used the lowest volume program for my first and only road marathon and found I had no problem at all maintaining my goal pace fairly evenly throughout the race. Despite having no experience with the distance, I was very well prepared. I'm sure it was those long runs at marathon pace that did the trick.
Kit Forrest
Dec 28, 2014 Kit Forrest rated it really liked it
Lots of good info, some of which I knew and some which I didn't. Also the scientific reasoning behind someof the things I've been told by marathon coaches and validation of some things I figured out on my own. Very comprehensible with lots of supporting training anecdotes from world-class runners. I'm ready to put together a training plan to PR my next marathon.
Kendra
Sep 08, 2014 Kendra rated it liked it
The authors aren't joking when they use the word "advanced." Much of this plan, and the science behind it, were a bit of a stretch for me. It is a science-backed set of plans for the advanced, superadvanced, and hyper advanced veteran marathoner, with sometimes complex descriptions of the science behind each part of the plan. I'd like to try this one out again when I have a better base.
Feb 03, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Pfitzinger is a renown coach and gives a lot of great, accessible, and comprehensible (and occasionally, even snarky) tips and guidelines about taking your marathon training to the next level. I'm using one of his plans in my attempt to go sub-3:30 at Eugene in April 2013. I've heard great things from friends who have used his plans before, so I am cautiously optimistic :)
Elizabeth Clor
May 24, 2016 Elizabeth Clor rated it it was amazing
This book does a great job explaining the aspects of successful marathon training. Many people buy this book just for the training plans, but neglect to read the actual content. I think the plans themselves are effective (although maybe a little boring for my taste) but getting a true understanding of how the body makes adaptations through training is really important.
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • The Competitive Runner's Handbook
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon
  • Lore of Running
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • The Art of Running Faster
  • Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide
  • Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons
  • Marathoning for Mortals: A Regular Person's Guide to the Joy of Running or Walking a Half-Marathon or Marathon
  • Galloway's Book on Running
  • The Science of Running: How to find your limit and train to maximize your performance
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • Pose Method of Running (Dr. Romanov's Sport Education)
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
  • The Complete Book of Running
There is more than one author with this name
Scott Douglas is senior content editor for Runner's World and a former editor of Running Times.
He is the author or co-author of six books on running.
Scott has run more than 100,000 miles since taking up the sport in 1979.
He lives in South Portland, Maine.
More about Scott Douglas...

“Mind is everything; muscle, pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind.” So said Paavo Nurmi, the Finn who won nine Olympic gold medals at distances from 1,500 meters to 10,000 meters.” 1 likes
“The optimal duration forO2max intervals for marathoners is approximately 2 to 6 minutes. Intervals in this range are long enough so you accumulate a substantial amount of time at 95 to 100 percent ofO2max during each interval but short enough so you can maintain the optimal-intensity range throughout the workout. Intervals for marathoners should generally be between 800 and 1,600 meters. The training schedules in this book include some workouts of 600-meter repeats during weeks when your top priority lies elsewhere, such as when the week also calls for a tune-up race.” 0 likes