Start by marking “The Forging of the Blade (Lowthar's Blade, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Forging of the Blade (Lowthar's Blade, #1)

The Forging of the Blade (Lowthar's Blade #1)

Kenric’s homeland is in danger. Fierce Mawr hounds and grymclaws prowl the land and skies, and an evil power is on the rise. Lord Mordig has killed the true king and plans to rule Lowthar by forging a new blade of power. When Kendric’s father disappears, Kendric knows he must find him, before it’s too late.
Published February 2nd 2006 by Puffin Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Forging of the Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forging of the Blade

Kerr
description

Full review can also be found on: Paein and Ms4Tune’s Book Blog

Well this was short. 123 pages to be exact! Honestly I picked this one because it was the smallest out of my 'really want to read' read--it-or-lose-it pile. I was surprised to see that it was by the same author who wrote Grave Mercy and I wonder if that's why I bought it? But I liked it so I've ordered books two and three so that I can find out more about this world.

This is a fast moving introduction to the 'high fantasy' genre for
Jeff_§of2014
This book was about a boy named Kenric. He was the son of the only blacksmith in Perith, the small town in the west of the kingdom of Lowthar. Kenric and his father had a strong bond, his father wanted to teach him the ways of a blacksmith because his father has been forging an important blade, Kenric's father said this blade would protect many lives in the kingdom and it would take many tries just to shape the blade with intense skill and concentration. But one day, Kenric woke up to find his ...more
Zacharyz
May 19, 2011 Zacharyz rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was awsome!!!I thought this book was one of the best books that I have ever read because it had three things that I absolutely love in books that I always look for: medevil,fighting,and fantasy!!!!
If I were to rate this book from 1 to 10 I would give it a 10!!This book is #6 on my list of favorite books!I just loved this book from the start and I promise anyone who reads this book is going to love this book!!!!!!!!
I loved this book so much it inspired me to get a closer
Pamela
Nov 17, 2012 Pamela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 4th - 6th grade reluctant readers
SUMMARY: Lowthar's Blade Trilogy, Book 1: The Forging of the Blade by R.L. LaFevers (2004) -- These are dangerous times in the land of Lowthar. Fierce Mawr hounds prowl the dark roads, and grymclaws patrol the skies. There is talk of an evil power rising in the east. Suddenly Kenric's father, the village blacksmith, disappears. So Kenric sets out to find him. -- Plunged into a terrifying adventure, Kenric soon realizes things are worse than he ever imagined. Lord Mordig has killed the true king ...more
KidsFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call# J SHORT CHAPTER LA FEVERS R

Chris's Rating - 3.5 Stars
Kendric's father (the local blacksmith) is missing and he and his mother are about to be kicked out of their home. Rather than give in to the accusation that his father left them because he didn't want them, Kendric sets out to find his father coming across elves, goblins and other creatures.
I'd place this book somewhere in the lines of a "first chapter book," maybe for boys grade 1-3. The story bears similarities to Lord of the Ring
Eli Beyer
Feb 18, 2016 Eli Beyer rated it it was amazing
What would happen if a rain of darkness fell over a village. The Forging of the Blade written by R.L. LaFevers. The first element is adventure. This is adventure because this kid goes on a journey to find his dad. Mystery is the next element. Mystery is one of the elements because this boys dad disappears one day and he doesn't know where he is. Courage is the last element. This is an element because this boy has the courage to go get this dad from somewhere that could be dangerous or really nic ...more
jake D. D.
Jan 18, 2011 jake D. D. rated it really liked it
The Forging of the blade is really good book it is a page turner. This book fall in adventure. I recommend it for boys more that girls because it falls in the medieval times kind off. It’s about a boy who his dad is captured and he basically goes and trys to find his dad and he run into a blade called the forging blade believe it or not and this blade can do fire and kill almost anything. The book is fast moving and it is the first book in the series. This book is very good i think so because of ...more
Kit
Feb 29, 2008 Kit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You've got your nameless evil spreading over the land. You've got your elves who don't want to get involved. You've got your formerly-human enslaved minions. You've got your mysterious old mentor with a white beard. When I say there's nothing new about The Forging of the Blade, I mean there's nothing new.

On the other hand, if you've got kids who can't quite manage the names in the (much superior children's high fantasy) Chronicles of Prydain - and aren't ready for The Lord of the Rings - this is
Liz
Jul 14, 2012 Liz rated it liked it
A nice quick read and a great book for the middle school age, even though my little girl could easily finish the book. The story was interesting - boy loses his father because the father was kidnapped for being a blacksmith. Seems the evil conqueror desires to have a power sword forged and have been kidnapping blacksmiths throughout the area, trying to find one who can make this sword of power. The boy leaves home in search of his father, and ends up being like Bilbo Baggins - a hero for the sto ...more
Camille Stanford
This book is a short, fairly generic adventure fantasy: an evil overlord, a quest for family, the old mysterious guide, a powerful sword, and a dangerous forest. What made it different to me was the three different stones for the Fey (a mooonstone), the Goblins (a firestone), and the humans (a bloodstone) and the fact that these races seem to not have a strong enmity for each other as other books do.
It squeaks its way into the category of "eh. I liked it."
Sara Wilson
Apr 25, 2016 Sara Wilson rated it really liked it
Asher, 9, loved it. We have requested book 2 from the library.
Susan
Jun 24, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-book, mystery
An okay beginning to a trilogy. Definitely one of R. L. LaFevers' early works: it doesn't compare well to Nathaniel Fludd. And one can tell that she took her inspiration from other characters in fantasy/sci-fi, notably, the goblin who's described an awful lot like Gollum.

For kids, it's a pretty good read.
Rachel
Aug 17, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
This was an entertaining book. It's definitely aimed at a young audience though, and I didn't really anticipate that, although I suppose I should have. Despite that it was fun, and I'm going to finish the trilogy, because it's in my moral code that I must finish basically any story that I start.
Becca
Sep 26, 2008 Becca rated it liked it
This book is like an elementary version of The Lord of the Rings. It's similarities/simplicities kept me from really getting it. But I think young children would find it rather entertaining. It contains wholesome messages of family, courage, and the quest to do good.
Denae Christine
Oct 22, 2009 Denae Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
For the age group, this is a great story to introduce 3rd-6th graders to the fantasy genre, the hero's tale, and the typical medieval world with magic, elves, and bad guys who want ultimate power and can be taken down by the smallest of heroes.
Kristen Gurri
Classic questing tale. The minor characters are more memorable and humorous than the lead. This is a good book for young readers because the chapters roll over fast, the fantasy names are easy to read and the plot clips along.
Tommy
Jul 01, 2009 Tommy rated it it was ok
I didn't love it, but it was worth reading. I thought it was a little too short. It was a big story that needed more meat. I never ended up reading the rest of the series.
Cathy
Mar 13, 2013 Cathy rated it it was ok
After loving Theodosia and the Beastologist series, this was a let down for me. I had such high hopes for it, and it just didn't have much depth to it.
Jill Miskin
Jan 21, 2010 Jill Miskin rated it liked it
This is a cute little series much like LOTR, but for the younger set. Things would be scary, but only for a moment. I would recommend for emerging readers.
David K
Oct 13, 2010 David K rated it it was amazing
when a kid gets on a journey to find his dad, evil creatures are all around him and he is in danger to find his dad. Will he make it?
Pamela
Dec 27, 2012 Pamela rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Brayden(4th grade) devoured this book! He can't wait to get his hands on the next one in the series.
Tyas
Sep 07, 2008 Tyas rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
A boy. An evil. A journey. A legendary weapon.

Why do I think I've heard it all before?
Xaris
Jul 30, 2008 Xaris rated it it was amazing
I Read this and was compleatly drawn into it!
This and the other two are just Amazing!!!
Melinda
May 08, 2009 Melinda rated it liked it
Simple storyline. Easy read. Gives me a boost of confidence that I can be a writer too.
Evilphenix1
Aug 27, 2009 Evilphenix1 rated it it was amazing
action packed and full of aww i give this book 5\5
Katherine
Currently reading this with Jordan's class reading group.
Fruitfulmomma
Jan 22, 2010 Fruitfulmomma rated it it was ok
Very LOTRish without a lot of depth.
Sallie
Aug 23, 2009 Sallie rated it liked it
A fun book for kids.
  • Into the Land of the Lost (The Secrets of Droon, #7)
  • Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • The Rock of Ivanore (Celestine Chronicles, #1)
  • Another Fine Myth / Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #1-2)
  • Assassin's Apprentice (Oathbreaker, #1)
  • Highway Cats
  • Trapped in Death Cave
  • The Jewel of the Kalderash (The Kronos Chronicles, #3)
  • No Such Thing As Dragons
  • Sixteen Years in Sixteen Seconds: The Sammy Lee Story
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • The Serial Garden: The Complete Armitage Family Stories
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Thorn in Her Side (The Princess School, #7)
  • The Mirror of Fire and Dreaming (Brotherhood of the Conch, #2)
  • Groosham Grange
  • The Town Cats and Other Tales
R.L. LaFevers (Robin Lorraine when she’s in really big trouble) grew up surrounded by shelves of old dusty books and a passel of brothers. She has also spent a large portion of her life being told she was making up things that weren’t there, which only proves she was destined to write fiction. She is the author of over fourteen books for young readers, including THEODOSIA AND THE SERPENTS OF CHAOS ...more
More about R.L. LaFevers...

Lowthar's Blade (3 books)
  • The Secrets of Grim Wood  (Lowthar's Blade, #2)
  • The True Blade of Power (Lowthar's Blade, #3)