Start by marking “More Stories to Solve: Fifteen Folktales from Around the World” as Want to Read:
More Stories to Solve: Fifteen Folktales from Around the World

More Stories to Solve: Fifteen Folktales from Around the World

How did they do it?How did a single firefly win a fight against onw hundred apes? How did the priest catch a thief with a rooster? How did a student outwit the king? How did a frog escape fron the picher of cream? These and eleven more tantalizing, brain-teasing mysteries are waiting in the pages of this book.
Published March 6th 2001 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about More Stories to Solve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Stories to Solve

Lesley
Aug 30, 2015 Lesley rated it really liked it
so I think this is short stories for anyone but it's probably written for 8-12 yr olds. I admit did not have most of the stories solved by me, but lucky there was the "how was it done" page for those of us who needed some answers.
Jamie
A collection of short story riddles for children but even adults can have fun with this. A great activity to do with your child is even better. Read perhaps 1 a day with you kid and try to figure each one out. Some are logical, others are just plain silly. Either way you will have fun trying to figure them out.
Caitlin W.
Do you like outsmarting your opponents? This is a collection of short stories and riddles from around the world that display the cleverness of the characters within. Each short story or riddle ends on a page with a question, asking the reader to try to guess how the hero outsmarted everyone and attained victory. The solution is on the following page, so the reader can take as much time as he or she needs to try to work through the problem, or just immediately read the solution if he or she can't ...more
Ciara
Dec 29, 2014 Ciara rated it it was amazing
I especially liked the multicultural-ness of this book; from East to West, children are able to learn about foreign cultures (merchants, pilgrimages, etc.) and traditions (hanging, riding donkeys, etc.) and even foreign names (Akbar, Nasrudin, etc). The text teaches children about the importances of being clever and how to use critical thinking skills. Similar to Amelia Bedelia, the clever man (in each context) does things correctly… just a little out of context. This book encourages children to ...more
Fred Kohn
Nov 03, 2013 Fred Kohn rated it liked it
Recommended to Fred by: Bonnie Stottlemyer
Shelves: young-readers
This book was recommended to me by a coworker because of my penchant for telling funny stories and riddles. Honestly, I dish it out more easily than I take it (I hate to feel dumb!) but these were pretty fun. The ones that I missed didn't (for the most part) make me feel very dumb because I thought the "answers" were just kind of silly.
Thomas Andrikus
Nov 14, 2012 Thomas Andrikus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am starting to get more and more enchanted by these riddle-folktales~

My favourite one from this book is the folktale No.8: "Never Seen, Never Heard" which relates to Aesop of Babylon.
Karen
Feb 25, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, stories
Enjoyed reading this one with the family. Surprised that I actually figured out a few if them. Some were a little on the outlandish side, but still fun.
Julie
Mar 12, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Stories that make you think. I read a short story, solve the puzzle and then feel clever, or my children feel clever with themselves.
Mike
May 26, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
Love these short story/riddles...now if I ever come across one of them on my travels I will know how to answer.
Nicole Hale
Nicole Hale rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Trish
Trish rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Kari Hawkey
Kari Hawkey rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2014
Avril
Avril rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2014
Marika
Marika rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2016
Lisa Hutcheson
Lisa Hutcheson rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2009
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Cooing oun
Cooing oun rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Ryan Benedetti
Ryan Benedetti rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2012
Lisa Hutcheson
Lisa Hutcheson rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2009
Dee
Jan 18, 2009 Dee rated it it was amazing
Great for read-alouds and illustrated by peter Sis.
Sabina
Sabina rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2009
katrina elslager
katrina elslager rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Kate Farrell
Kate Farrell rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2011
Chanda White
Chanda White rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2015
David
David rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Miriam
Miriam rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2011