Start by marking “Half-Human” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,200 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Like us, but not quite...

Compiled and edited by Br
Published September 30th 2004 by Scholastic (first published November 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Half-Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half-Human

1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienCatch-22 by Joseph HellerOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Nothing but Numbers
172nd out of 875 books — 137 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Seasonal Reading Challenge Recommended Books
371st out of 679 books — 534 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 22, 2008 Tracy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tracy by: Found on the library shelves
An oft-asked question I get is "what can I get my son to read?" Guys are tricky. Some guys view books as work; something that is not sports, tv, friends, or video games. Just like I conduct a reference interview with adults, I do so with kids.

Half-human is a collection of short stories dealing with kids that have unusual challenges in their lives. Unusual being part centaur, part hawk, or even part dragon. Having a bad hair day? Imagine the frustration when Dusie wakes to find a head of...snake
In the introduction, Coville says he was interested in half-human creatures and beings and asked for short stories. He was surprised, but pleased, I think, at the variance of stories he got. He got some stories that weren't about the typical part/half-human creatures.

"Becoming" by Nancy Springer -- This story I really liked. I thought it was believable in the young girl's reaction to her fate. (I forgot her name and I had already returned the book.)

"Linnea" by D.J. Malcom -- Meh. This story I d
Jul 07, 2010 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Actually a very decent anthology. I wish this system had half stars, because it really deserves 4 and a half as a whole. I will revise this review including the names of the short stories and possibly a short synopsis, but overall a decent collection. Very short book, I would have liked more, so it's recommended you buy this in paperback because unless you find a hardback used like I did, it isn't worth the hardback new price.

Becoming by Nancy Springer (Medusa)
Linnea by D.J. Malcolm (Mer
Oct 30, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was amazing
This is one of his many children's anthologies, and this particular book focuses on people who blend humanity with something more.

Becoming, by Nancy Springer, is a good choice for the lead story. Medusa wakes up one morning with snakes for hair... and no small amount of hysteria ensues as she tries to come to grips with exactly what has happened and what that means about who she is. A good story with a nice image of statues running through it, though I could see Troy coming from a mile away.

Aug 19, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
A collection of tales that include centaurs, selkies, mermaids and the like—loosely based on mythology of the mix of human and animal—many taking place in modern times, though not all. Included is Gregory Maguire’s Scarecrow—an excellent piece that begins with the birth of the Scarecrow of Oz.
Jul 07, 2014 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oz, read-in-2014
This book of fantasy stories was a light, fast-evaporating treat. A couple of the stories stand out amongst the rest, particularly Mandell's and Coville's. Many of the stories, most notably Springer's intriguing first entry in the collection, feel dissatisfyingly like excerpts or preambles to aborted novels. This is an unfortunate risk in short story reading. Personally, I want to be left wanting more because the short narrative is so beautiful crafted, not because the author wanted more, or at ...more
Jul 02, 2015 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
Can't beleive I didn't already review this...

Anywho, I love this book. All the stories were awesome, and the concept is a favorite of mine anyway, so yeah, really, really good.
Jubilation Lee
A few memorable stories, but everything else sort of blurs together, much like the poorly Photoshopped images that accompany each chapter.
Julia Brumfield
This is one book that I tripped upon in high school and absolutely fell in love wit since it reaches the young developing heart of a child. For the average teen or adolescent these stories ask questions that may be bothering them while giving wise answers but all within a story.

What makes these stories (and one poem) special is that there are a lot of famous authors who have contributed to this beautiful collection. Their writings, although separate, don't conflict but give weight to each othe
May 26, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Becoming by Nancy Springer ****
This was an excellent short story to start the collection out with, and it was told from the point of view of a creature who is often only portrayed as en enemy in stories. I especially loved the ending, and how human a gorgon can really be.

Linnea by D. J. Malcolm ****
I enjoyed this story more than the first, with the greater sense of terror, of needing to find a way to escape, to become human again, only to realize that what she once thought of flaws are actually
Nov 10, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, anthologies
I shall review each story as I go through when it's fresh in my mind:

Becoming by Nancy Springer
Unfortunately I can't say that I liked this one at all. It feels like a gimmiky idea, poorly executed. One thing I really can't stand is when serious things happen in young adult stories and they're just brushed off. (view spoiler)
This was a real treat. I had this collection of ten short stories by different fantasy authors lying around for quite a while now, having it originally bought for only one of the stories. Now I finally managed to read the whole collection and don't regret it.

The stories are all different in topic and style, naturally. But still the common theme suggested by the title can be found in all of them. Sometimes the characters are literally half-human, sometimes one has to look closer to "see" their ot
Hannah Givens
Dec 26, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, short-stories
Four out of ten were great stories. Particularly happy that so many had characters choosing to live in both worlds, rather than making every problem a choice between worlds.

Favorites: "Linnea" by D.J. Malcolm, "Scarecrow" by Gregory Maguire, "Princess Dragonblood" by Jack Mandell, and "The Hardest, Kindest Gift" by Bruce Coville.
Jun 01, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Bruce Coville has assembled the crème de la crème of children and 'tween fantasy authors in this anthology of short stories about mythological creatures in modern times. Nancy Springer introduces us to Medusa's family centuries after her death, Jane Yolen explores the early life of a centaur born on a farm, and Gregory Maguire fans will be delighted to learn about the creation of the Scarecrow from the Wicked series. Other authors include Tamora Pierce and her story of an ancient tree spirit, Ju ...more
Nov 29, 2008 Gabriela rated it liked it
It's funny actually. Reading the story about Medusa the second, it actually inspired me to surf the internet about these mythologies. I already knew the story about how Medusa came to be. She was the most beautiful creature who was also being loved by the god, Poseidon. But Poseidon already belonged to Athena. Athena was jealous and so she turned Medusa into a snake headed monster. They don't provide this in the book though. I felt Medusa II's pain though. She was just a regular girl in New York ...more
Timothy Pitkin
Good collection of stories with some of the stories focusing on creatures that many books either ignore or never used to their full potential like the Selkie. While some of the stories like the Mermaid one are lackluster the rest each had something that made them stand out.
Britni Rose
Aug 15, 2015 Britni Rose rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this book in eons, but it was always a go-to when bored. Linnea is my favorite. Now that I'm older I can see the flaws in the stories, but they're still amazing to me.
Jan 03, 2010 Marcia rated it liked it
From the back cover: "A girl who hears the sea amongst the busy streets of Manhattan. A princess born with the strength to clutch a sword hilt. A winged boy who cannot fly. In these stories, the kind where trees can become men and girls wake up with snakes for hair, people are not always what they seem. But they still must discover who they are."

Once I got over the fact that it was a bunch of short stories, I paid attention to each short story. There were some good messages lined within the word
Victoria Fuller
Jul 05, 2015 Victoria Fuller rated it it was ok
Okay, prepare for an unusually harsh review from me. I was excited for this book, I really was.
I found my hopes for this book quickly dashed. The outside of the book was pretty, and that's about where my excitement ended. The book itself is... childish. Maybe it was meant for a child, and I just wasn't aware of that fact. It would have changed my view of it from the start. But the stories feel like something written in a High-school creative writing class and the pictures are poorly done Photos
Jessica Sierocki
Jun 22, 2014 Jessica Sierocki rated it it was ok
Some of the stories I like better than others so I had to rate this as a whole even though some of the stories deserve five stars.
Jul 01, 2011 Purpleholic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book for my preteen aged daughter but I read it as well. I like to be aware of what she is reading even if I don't like it. With this book I really enjoyed reading the differing views on the main subject from each author. some of the story-lines were so intrigueing that I just kept reading when I should have put the book down for a little while. I know that this book will teach her even more tolerance of those who are different beccause it will give her some ideas of how differe ...more
Nov 12, 2015 Vulco1 rated it really liked it
Good fantAsy anthology
Mar 13, 2015 PrincessCadyLulu rated it really liked it
It'a a very good book.
short stories.
This was a good collection. There were a lot of interpretations of mythology, which I wasn't necessarily expecting, but most were good. My particular favorites from this compilation were "Centaur Field" by Jane Yolen and "Soaring" by Tim Waggoner. Most of the rest were good. I don't care for Gregory Maguire - the more I read of him the more I realize I just don't like the way he thinks or something. And I didn't really like Bruce Coville's contribution, but I liked all the other things he chose ...more
Interesting collection of people who are not quite human: selkies, mermaids, a centaur, a bird-boy, a tree-man, et al. Not great but pretty good.
Becoming by Nancy Springer; Princess Dragonblood by Jude Mandell; How to make a human by Lawrence Schimel; Linnea by D.J. Malcolm; Soaring by Tim Waggoner; Water's edge by Janni Lee Simner; Elder brother by Tamora Pierce; Scarecrow by Gregory Maguire; Centaur Field by Jane Yolen; The hardest, kindest gift by Bruce Coville.
Jun 05, 2009 Bailey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All of you people who like Mermaids, Centaurs, and Their Ilk
Recommended to Bailey by: Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona)
Marina Woollven
Dec 27, 2015 Marina Woollven rated it did not like it
Picked this up thinking it was YA. However, I think this is written more for pre-teens then actual teenagers. The quality of writing itself is disappointing. It might be okay for elementary kids, but I really wouldn't recommend it for anyone older. The stories themselves could be predictable or bland at times, with flat characters. I did enjoy the last story, but it's not enough to save the entire anthology.
Jan 30, 2009 Z rated it it was amazing
Often with collections of short stories, it's hard to like all of them. With this collection, though, there's something in each of the stories that appeals to me. I certainly like some better than others (the one about the girl with snakes for hair, the one about Melusine, and the one about the boy with hawk's wings), but they all have their moments.
Jun 07, 2010 J rated it it was ok
i have a serious weakness for sci-fi/fantasy short story collections, despite not really liking them. average (and sometimes less-than-average) writing and stories, but i'll probably read it again. it only cost me twenty-five cents, but in emotional turmoil it's way more expensive. and yes, i do realize how ridiculous i am.
  • Young Warriors: Stories of Strength
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • Waters Luminous and Deep
  • A Spy's Guide to Tortall: From the Desk of George Cooper
  • Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales
  • Inkspell, Volume 2 (Inkheart, #2 Part 2 of 2)
  • Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand
  • 2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers
  • Fire (Tales of Elemental Spirits, #2)
  • Unexpected Magic: Collected Stories
  • Curses, Inc. and Other Stories
  • Song Quest (The Echorium Sequence, #1)
  • The Great God Pan

“Lights and darks. And suddenly i was here, where everything seems strange. And I don't know why. Like the Fox and the Crow, I don't know the whole story yet. But that's a good reason to go on, don't you think?"
"Go where?" said the Scarecrow.
"Go forward," said the girl. "See something. Learn something. Figure it out. We won't ever get the whole thing, I bet, but we'll get something. And then we'll have something to tell when we're old about what happened to us when we were young."
"Now?" said the Scarecrow. "Can you tell it now?"
"After," said the girl. "We have to have the BEFORE first, and that's life"
"And what's life?" said the scarecrow.
"Moving," said the girl. "Moving on. Shall we move on? Will you come with me?”